Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,629 posts
  • 583 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by HighProtein
  • Topic is favorited by 256 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A72EF409-C2C9-449D-8995-63F44D38C028 (resized).png
    Untitled.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 5.35.44 PM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 2.25.17 PM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230128-133113 (resized).png
    15E58AD4-215E-456B-8DB8-D08CB36C785C (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 11.16.31 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 11.13.19 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 11.12.39 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 11.12.27 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 11.12.15 AM (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230127_084942.jpg
    34FF81C2-3F73-4B5F-9437-9043C3AFDF76 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 7.31.33 PM (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (1 year ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (1 year ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (1 year ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (7 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docquest.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#288 1 year ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

The actual games feature game specific art (and in fact MORE as a result of the new apron vs the old) - I know as I've made some So don't worry!

Curious to see how there will be more art with the scanner installed than there was previously. I could see them putting some game specific art around the scanner but the scan module itself will still be most of the window space. I'm assuming the scan module is an off the shelf sealed unit and the "tub" portion needs to stay white to capture the QR code properly, so probably no art in that area.

Maybe they will be doing full wraps of art on the apron instead of just the windows and cards? That would be cool.

rps20210826_233402 (resized).jpgstern-pinball-insider-connected-brings-online-challenges-features-to-its-machines_feature (resized).jpg
    #341 1 year ago
    Quoted from Castlecade:

Who’s first to make themed pinball QR card holders??? Hmmmmmm

Sounds like Stern is already planning that based on earlier comments form Zombie Yeti.

In the Georges video he mentioned special aprons needed for Batman66, Elvira, and Star Wars. What's different on those aprons from the standard metal aprons?

2 weeks later
    #787 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

On Godzilla, if the QR interface is not supplied, there is going to be a gaping hole in the standard apron where it would normally go, unless a different apron is provided instead, with that hole omitted. And, since the artwork is specifically made to go around that hole where the QR interface goes, there will likely be no artwork in that area anyway.

According to the press release, Stern will provide art to cover the QR scanner for people who don't want to use it. It will be interesting to see if art that only goes over the QR window or new art for the whole apron.

rps20210916_000651 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #923 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Batman and Elvira require new aprons

Wonder if they worked with Franchi to do some new art for the QR code version apron.

1 month later
    #1631 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I’m a home user and really don’t want the reader on the apron of either of my supported games (Batman and Elvira)
    I’m hoping that someone will make a mod for the QR reader that houses the board/reader in a more rectangular box (small as possible) that would connect to an RJ-45 fit into the tournament button hole so you could easily move the reader from game to game. I’d have an Ethernet cord a few feet long connecting both ends so the box could be easily positioned on the outside of the game somewhere (Velcro/magnets). This obviously doesn’t work for location games but home users could easily move the reader from game to game.

Not sure if the power for the QR reader also comes in on that same RJ-45 cable . If not, another power cable might be needed as well to power it. You would also need the wifi dongle installed for each machine you wanted to swap the reader with (unless you wanted to open baxkbox and move it each time you wanted to . Not sure if dongle can be any off the shelf version or if you have to buy the one Stern sells. If you need the Stern one, will they sell it as a standalone without the rest of the kit.

1 month later
    #1839 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

As long as you don’t want the Elvira specific apron either kit will work.

Will be interesting to see of any of the retrofit kits come with new art to go around the QR reader that is specific to each game.

2 weeks later
    #2064 1 year ago
    Quoted from thekaiser82:

I believe B66 and Beatles get custom kits as well.

Batman66 is unique. It's the first one I've seen where the scanner is mounted on the left.

cbbcbed880db89dd31b2adc80367e9fa2f8ac49a (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2136 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

So, I have a Stranger Things pro with insider connected being delivered tomorrow. I have the premium UV kit on hand. Looks like I should be able to just transfer the qr reader to my premium apron. Will have to figure out a custom apron card with a cutout to surround it. I believe most premium aprons from the last couple years have this cutout. Mine even has mounting studs.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I assumed all the games would plan on putting the QR reader in the same spot (upper right corner) of the aprons. But it looks like we have a couple variations now with Batman66 on the left side of the apron and now Stranger Things on the right side but lower where the pricing card usually goes. Wonder if there be other ame specific variations.

I think the right side lower location looks better since you can still have the backlit art in upper corner windows.

#2161 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am unsure why you continue trash talk other peoples work. The $1.62 worth of plastic is not what you are paying for. I spent several days designing and prototyping my mount before finalizing the design. Each piece takes 3.5 hours to print with 100% infill. Each mount is then painted with at least three layers of black hammer paint, threaded inserts are applied and and the parts are packaged with very detailed installation instruction. All this takes time and equipment and I don't work for free.

Don't forget trips to the post office, making shipping labels, dealing with lost packages, helping people troubleshoot things when they mess up the install. It's a lot of work to design, make, and sell mods.

#2209 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

If it hasn't been posted yet here's what the premium IC kit looks like. No full apron. Do all the premium aprons have these cutouts?
    [quoted image]

Batman66 did not.

Are you installing IC in a Gator?

#2219 1 year ago

Installed gotfrogs coin door QR code reader with the pinball life headphone kit on MY EHOH. Used the scanner from my Godzilla to try it out and it's works and looks great.

20220101_122447 (resized).jpg
    #2250 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chalkey:

What's the install like on the premiums? Is there a blank plate there that unscrews? Couldn't get up to my location as they had a covid shutdown and now weather.

Most premiums have a triangular plastic installed in each upper corner. You just need a nut driver to remove the 3 nuts securing each plastic .

Then you put the IC scanner where the plastic was, connect the cat 5 cable between the scanner and the node board under the playfield and insert the micronSD card in the slot on the bottom of the.main CPU.

#2259 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

The kit is known to work in Elvira.
    It’s listed as not compatible because there are special aprons for IC for Batman, Elvira and Beatles (maybe a couple more).

I'm also curious what's different for Elvira that Sterns says its needs something special.

The 40th and SLE editions have a slight apron difference to support the trading cards (missing corner slots for pricing card). Other than that, all Elvira versions appear to use the same size triangular windows int he apron like most other premiums.

#2263 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:I bet the something different is they will need left hand side modules. We've seen BM66 and EHOH 40th come out last month with left hand mounted QR readers. And since the current "kit" offered has a right hand side module, that means those other games need entirely new aprons.

The left and right side apron windows are symmetrical you just need to mirror the mouting plate. The 40th Elvira at expo had it mounted on the right side. For the production 40ths they moved it to the left.

Quoted from EricHadley:

I went ahead and installed a kit in my Elvira and it works fine.
    Why move it to the left? Keeping them all on the right for consistency makes a lot more sense.

The only reason I could think to move it to the left was so the LE owners could still keep their design team autographed plastic on the right.

80e4a0f34278633ad29ef689b1236e45de60cb54-2 (resized).jpg
    #2265 1 year ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I figured there had to be some reason, makes sense. Since that plastic on the premium is no big deal I am sticking with mine mounted on the right like all my other IC games. I am going to try a kit in Stranger Things next, also appears it will fit fine.

Stranger Things has yet another configuration with the QR scanner cutout on the right but mounted lower where the pricing card goes. I'm assuming it's located there due to interference with UV light strip kit?

186889bab33105b63b6858df8df2505f597fcb13 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2361 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

They do have a solution, the apron already has a hole in it.

You can see the hole under where the right insruction card goes in the pics that were just shown. You can also see the mounting studs around the hole.

You should be able to just unscrew the QR scanner from the triangular piece it is on now an move it to the hole under the instruction card.

#2409 1 year ago
    Quoted from ULEKstore:

Question: Has anyone tried connecting an IC kit for Batman 66 yet and run into any issues?
    I made an IC plate for the coin door (because I didn’t want to mess up the look of the apron), but there are no open/free Ethernet connections on the node board.
    Any ideas or advise would greatly be appreciated.
    -David
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check out this thread from the Batman66 club thread. The new run of Batman66 games that comes with Insider Connected already installed at the factory uses a splitter.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/344#post-6724908
    f95f38825df40ce7d0b94eb722e4bf007e982034 (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #2817 10 months ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

anyone know what's happening with Batman LE and SLE? they both have a custom arch?

Batman66 Premium, LE, and SLE all have the same bottom apron with no pre-existing holes to add IC.

The assumption is that the upcoming retrofit IC kit will use the same apron Stern used on the last run of Batman66 games that came with IC from the factory. That apron has the IC installed on the left side. The right side will still have the holes to mount your portrait or landscape trading card.

Unlike other IC kits which have you tranfer your old apron decals to the new apron, this one will have to come with new artwork. Stern missed a perfect opportunity to make the IC instructions for this game more Batman66 like, i.e. "use the Bat-QR scanner to unlock Bat-achievements" or something similar.

Maybe we can convince Franchi to sell a little overlay magnet/decal mod with revised art and text to put around the scanner hole?
    cbbcbed880db89dd31b2adc80367e9fa2f8ac49a (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #2882 10 months ago
    Quoted from Ashram56:

And a US coin door is 200 euros, and it's not available...

Why buy the while door? Shouldn't you just need the door skin and the outer coin chute and coin return bevel with flap? Pinball Life sells the door skin for a very reasonable $25.

https://www.pinballlife.com/coin-door-face-with-bill-validator-cutout.html

PBL-200-0103-00 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #3012 9 months ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Nothing special required for the LE.

The current premium kits are designed to go in the right apron window. On Elvira LE's the right side is where the signatures are. Maybe they are waiting for parts to make more left side versions (like they put on 40th anniv edition) so people wouldn't have to remove their signatures?

If you are ok with the coin door location, you can buy the Pro or Premium IC kit, remove the scanner, and put it in the coin door mount.

#3015 9 months ago
    Quoted from TrixTrix:

Pre kits now have parts for the left and right apron window.

So there isn't a separate left mount and right mount kit? All the premium kits have everything you need to mount it on either side?

All the listings I've seen at marco, flipnout, etc say the prem kit is for right side mount.

#3017 9 months ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

The kits shipping now have a left and right triangle metal piece and left and right sticker. Comes unassembled and you place the reader on whichever wedge you plan to use and end up with an extra to put in the coin box lol.

That's awesome. They should update the product descriptions so people are aware they have that option.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider docquest.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!