stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

I’m holding judgement on whether it’s a good addition or not until we see more. How it works etc isnt what I think Stern messed up here. It’s the addition of it on every new machine with no choice to their customers.

Stern is actually pretty smart to install this on every game the make going forward. The fact all games have the ability and if they make it free to implement (to start…) means almost all operators will activate it to begin. That in turn will get players using the new feature and (probably) enjoying the hell out of it. Then, BOOM! They start charging….
Also, for home guys pissed about paying for the hardware, just rip it out and sell to an OP wanting to update an older game.

#404 2 years ago

The whole point of this is to be IN YOUR FACE! If they hid it in the DBV cutout, or just mentioned it on the screen, it will be ignored. Then forgotten.
They are launching this to get players to want to use it, to think it’s cool, to seek out the games that have it implemented, to drive more money into the cash box of those operators,….so they can later get a cut, or your revenue drops by not having it.
I mean LTG says it’s “not for his location”, but if his players dig it, and start playing elsewhere because they have it and he doesn’t, I bet he might suddenly find it suits him to set it up.
Home guys can probably easily run the QR reader to the coin door, the one somebody posted a pic of used a USB to connect, it looked like.
In any case, it’s going to be forced to all of us, …operators, route players, collectors, and anyone that has a new Stern. I just hope it’s cool and really does drive up revenue on location. If not, it will just fade away like the QR codes on Transformers.

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You are trying to argue the static 3" triangle on the apron is more IN YOUR FACE then the HUGE animated LCD Screen in the head of the game... you know where they put the TITLE of the game and thousands of hours of effort into making the draw of the game?

It’s ALWAYS there, so yes. How many people sit and watch an attract loop?

#463 2 years ago

….I see people every day that can’t find the start button…..

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

How was ghostbusters innovative?

Magna-slings, ecto goggles, subway roll thru ramp with diverted lock?
But you obviously just hate the game, so never mind.
I like the pro better myself, but to discredit the effort is just bashing.

#561 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

And I certainly don't see operators buying this for the Sterns.

Um, it’s going to be on every (stern) game from here forward, so pretty sure Everyone is buying this.

#564 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Um, for any game sitting at a bar compatible now.

Depends on if it bumps the cash box. Most operators are smart enough to adopt anything that will…

#569 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The achievment/trophy stuff is lame. That appeals to the pre-teen video game/app market and i doubt it will have any impact on the current or even future pinball market.

Even though Pinside has trophies and achievements and most people here have probably seen them and checked them out at a minimum?
If you have ever done that you will probably at least play around with this stuff a little to check it out.
I have barely looked at the Pinside ones at all, like once (maybe twice after this post just because, ha!) but I am sure lots around here like them.
For this to work it needs to remain free, stern can make the money off selling these on every game, but if they try to charge users or operators it could fade quickly.

1 week later
#715 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

As an operator, how do you think operators in general would respond to Stern Insider Connected for "free" and as a subscription service? Do you think it will increase earnings to have it enabled? Especially enough to justify an additional expense.

Free=great! Let’s try it out.
Subscription=Let’s let them earn like always, maybe try putting one on line and see if it makes more $$.
*I don’t think it will significantly raise earnings on casual play locations (which is a lot of route play money), so if it costs it will soon be taken offline.

2 weeks later
#938 2 years ago

I wonder what is to stop people from having a common QR that is publicly shared, gets built up with all achievements and such, then shared more as a sort of “cheat code”?

#940 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

What would be the purpose of this? It's basically a no harm no foul situation.

To give anyone that wants it the ability to unlock modes and such that would normally have to be “earned” by playing, basically defeating the purpose of it. Not forcing people to play on location or put in coin drop. As an Op, it is a concern.
But I really don’t see casual players even trying this stuff out, look at the scoreboard for Escape Nublar on any Jurassic, all factory. If nobody, including seasoned players, even wants to try that stuff, how is extra effort to use the QR going to change that?

#943 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Achievements are literally the equivalent of a gold star on your fridge or calendar, there is only one person that gives a shit. No one is going to pay for new content and DLC for routed games but I could see people sharing them at home.

True, the achievements are nil. And it’s still all speculation, as we know very little still.
I just see people trying to “team up” to get any deep reward, especially if there is no real personal reward along the way.
Sign up can be a throwaway account, but if a real address is needed for prizes and such to be sent out, it might curb this.
Still looking forward to the roll out! Start the Godzilla’s shipping…

1 week later
#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

$40 /year player and op's fees per game are??

Zero Dollars!! The idea is the Ops put the game out and then it is available for all the players out there.
Smart move, or very few games will be connected, and nobody will renew the subscriptions.(ops or players)

#1072 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No it doesn't - printing out free QR codes is the equivalent of just handing out free quarters.

My guess is you just put on the receipt “sign up for stern Insider Connect using promo code #pinballbar for this establishment, get a QR code for a free game(s)”
…along with their permanent QR.

3 weeks later
#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

but I think it's useful that home Stern users let it be known they'd support a subscription model as long as we can supply our own wifi/ethernet. Even at $50 a year subscription, that's *50 years* of IC compared to what the hardware would cost me at once.

Well, $50 a year would be the $200 in only 4 years, unless you think they would let you put unlimited games on a single subscription. (And miss out on $$$,? I think not)
As an Operator, I will not put any games online if it is a subscription service.
As they have it now, I would put any games that already have it (Godzilla), and will consider doing more at one-time $200, if I think the players use and enjoy it.
But I am unable to get upgraded to Pro as it is. I think possibly because I have already made a basic insider account from the same email? Who knows? I want a helpful email from Stern…

#1627 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Will Stern be selling retrofit kits for future games to remove the fugly QR code reader and revert to the "legacy" style apron?

A sticker to cover it would provide the same appearance, wouldn’t it?

#1668 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Made my insider account, got the qr, but when I scan it, the machine makes an error sound and posts no message. What am I doing wrong?

Go into the “net”? Utility in the service menu, then register and it asks to scan your QR to see who it’s registered to.
Then maybe do a “check connection” to force a call to stern, then see if you’re good.

1 month later
#2146 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

With Stranger Things, the pro and premium playfields are identical. You are correct, that it wouldn't be so simple on other titles.

Doesn’t the projector sit under the apron, I thought that was the difference?

2 weeks later
#2330 2 years ago

So I finally got my insider account upgraded to Pro for my locations. Now I am unable to unregister my Godzilla from my regular IC account, after which I can register with the Pro account.
I did it once, before I had a Pro account, and in the history it shows registration, and unregistered in Nov. 21’. But I re-registered after that, and it IS online since then, but not Pro.
Anyone have any advice or expertise with this, or email Stern?
Kind of alarming to me that It is suddenly unable to unregister, especially if they start trying to charge commercial OPs. But I guess I can always just remove the wifi dongle or something, hopefully.

#2336 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I had to set my games up to “coz’s gameroom” and then transfer them to the location. Don’t know if that helps with your problem

Yeah, mine are registered to “DNOs gameroom”, but no way to transfer.
I’ll contact Stern, what a PITA!
Doubt I will be connecting more games if this is the way they keep it.

3 weeks later
#2497 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok so I’m in pro now, I added a location, but how do I add games to a location?

From memory, so maybe not exactly right.
At the game, connect to internet, get that going. Then go to register in the menu, scan your QR and it will tell you to complete on the website. Then go to your account online, pick the game to register to the location, and done.

4 months later
#3233 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm planning on doing this at my location just to drive more business. It'll be easier to get on the leaderboard
I keep the replays low and it gives extra ball vs a game. People love it.

And the first Op cheater has been identified!

#3242 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Show me where it's against the rules

True, might as well set to 10 balls and really rock the leaderboards!
I wish they would at least try to make verified locations uniform, just a couple settings guidelines would go a long way.
Oh well

2 months later
#4006 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

No reason I know of why the scanner node board is needed for network code updates. It's just a blanket no-can-do for the entre IC service menu without all three physical components.

They still don’t mind selling kits, this encourages that for having all games update easily IF you bought the kits.
Bond will be the 3rd game to ship with IC, it is creeping into the streets.
How long till the microcharges begin?….

2 months later
#4318 1 year ago
Quoted from davegauth:

I need to follow up on Monday and see about maybe hosting a launch party

Better hurry! Looks like the 28th is the deadline…

6B9C2963-A6D7-4631-97C4-3DBDB07F5DBD (resized).png6B9C2963-A6D7-4631-97C4-3DBDB07F5DBD (resized).png
2 months later
#4683 1 year ago
Quoted from dpkzone:

We all need to unite and send a plethora of emails as operators to them.

With IC currently a free tool to us, I don’t feel a need to complain.

#4694 1 year ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

not as a complaint, just as feedback to assist them in fixing and improving. getting reports from the field are helpful.

Agreed! But I’m pretty sure they are aware of the issue.
I was commenting more about the rally to send “a plethora of emails” from operators to Stern.

1 week later
#4763 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

WTF stern come on guys get it together with the counters and make this a useful solution that pro account owners are paying you for!

Pro accounts aren’t paid accounts, yet
Maybe you’re paying for insider +?

1 week later
#4776 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

elieving the time settings are handled by IC now (?) as they aren't in the menu any longer

On initial power up there is a time setting.
It might be moved to the IC setup page.
Try going to “net”? It’s around somewhere.

1 month later
#4925 11 months ago

Some of my IC stats are wrong or missing, went from over 400 plays on GZ to 8, etc
I know one other that has similar issues, anyone else?

#4926 11 months ago

Ha, and now all the stats are back to normal….

#4963 11 months ago

I think the restriction on Home Team is it can’t be registered to a Verified location/account.

2 months later
#5105 8 months ago

If IC is currently showing only IC connected play counts, I am getting about 10-20% of plays using IC.
Some titles high as 20, low as 10, and probly an average of 15% of plays use it.
At least this glitch showed me that info on a PRO account, it’s probably Stern looking at the same info or something.
Not enough for this operator to pay for it.

4 months later
#5714 3 months ago
Quoted from Groo:

I know I’m in the minority, but I like the ads/promos.

As an operator, they suck.
Just makes everyone aware of a game(s) you don't have.
I wouldn't really care at home.

#5716 3 months ago
Quoted from John_I:

Turn them off.

Of course, thanks capt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 549.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=dno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.