stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#492 2 years ago

One thing about this entire effort that makes it a little bit fruitless in my opinion is the fact that you have to load an app on your phone to read the QR code on the machine you are playing. So what happens if you don't have a phone that will read a QR code? That is me... I have a phone that makes phone calls and sends text messages just fine, but I never turn on the data... In fact, I keep the "data" turned off to avoid those charges. The phone even takes great Hires photographs. It's a 4G phone by the way and AT&T keeps sending me messages and junk mail that I have to upgrade to a 5G phone to be able to continue to use data. Since I never use any data, I just ignore those messages. I don't see why the machine cannot just connect to wifi at the location where it is located so that I don't have to pay for the data transmission, to be honest.

#496 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Damn dude you need to get a new carrier if data usage costs too much

:
I don't use a cell phone for access to the internet.
I use a computer for that with wifi access on broadband.
I don't use facebook or any other apps of any kind, especially from a cell phone.
The phone makes phone calls and sends SMS text messages for free, so if there is any charge for data, it is too much.
I don't think I should have to pay anything for "data" on a cell phone that I never use, but that is just my opinion.

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

As said a million times, for you non smart phone guys, print out the QR code and carry it in your wallet - or turn on your data most likely you are already paying for data in your phone plan and just not using it.

:
I signed up for the basic Stern Insider program and I don't see a QR code coming up on the Stern website.
It appears that you have to pay $39.00 for an upgrade in order to get that code, which will not be happening in my case.

1 week later
#700 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

So me getting dizzy trying to scroll through all the posts. What where the first 7 titles doing this again?

George Gomez mentioned in his post that all Spike 2 games would be eligible.
Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).

#705 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:
I don't use a cell phone for access to the internet.
I use a computer for that with wifi access on broadband.
I don't use facebook or any other apps of any kind, especially from a cell phone.
The phone makes phone calls and sends SMS text messages for free, so if there is any charge for data, it is too much.
I don't think I should have to pay anything for "data" on a cell phone that I never use, but that is just my opinion.

On the YouTube page with the demonstration video on use of a smart phone to logon online and play a machine equipped with the QR code access device, the comment response on that page indicate that wifi access from the machine being used to the local establishment is in the works.

1 week later
#729 2 years ago

Interesting to note, that as George Gomez mentioned in the video, on the latest Godzilla machine reveal video, the first thing the player does is scan the QR device on the machine apron with a smart phone. The player appears to be Keith Elwin, by the way. George Gomez mentioned that all new machines would include the QR reader device.

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from Gizmata:

Does that imply you can save $300 and not get Insider Connected installed at the factory?
I though every game ships with that installed starting in September.

On Godzilla, if the QR interface is not supplied, there is going to be a gaping hole in the standard apron where it would normally go, unless a different apron is provided instead, with that hole omitted. And, since the artwork is specifically made to go around that hole where the QR interface goes, there will likely be no artwork in that area anyway.

1 week later
#909 2 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

Seeing how much better the godzilla apron (lower arch) looks on the premium vs the pro, it makes me wonder if I can "upgrade" to the premium apron when I add Insider Connected to my Aerosmith Pro.
Connected aside, is it possible to replace a pro apron with a premium?
Has anyone seen anything about if Stern is going to only sell Premium aprons to Premium owners? Serial number verification, etc.

Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).
Aerosmith is not a Spike 2 game, so according to what Mr. Gomez mentioned, the insider connected device would not work on Aerosmith.
Godzilla is a Spike 2 machine, so it should work fine if you add the device and it can be purchased separately according to his post.
I assume the appropriate apron would have to be purchased also to have the correct hole for the device.

#913 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

Aerosmith is not a Spike 2 game, so according to what Mr. Gomez mentioned, the insider connected device would not work on Aerosmith.
Godzilla is a Spike 2 machine, so it should work fine if you add the device and it can be purchased separately according to his post.
I assume the appropriate apron would have to be purchased also to have the correct hole for the device.

Sorry about that, I thought the list of machines provided by Mr. Gomez included all the Spike 2 machines, so I stand corrected.
I apologize for my error...

1 week later
#978 2 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Georges Gomez said in the Deadflip's Godzilla Pro reveal stream that we will be able to log into Insider Connected next wednesday!

I noticed in the Godzilla stream that the ladies playing were able to track their achievements on the machine on their smart phones after each ball.
I also noticed that when they scanned their QR code in the machine to start the game, their initials came up on the machine display to show who was playing and in what order.
Based on that observation, it would appear that a printout of your QR code could be scanned in to start a game and achievements could be observed later on with a computer at home, as was previously mentioned in this thread and a smart phone is probably not required to utilize the QR device, unless you want to track your achievements after each ball.

#1007 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

That's why I couldn't log-in to Insider All Access today...

I had the same issue. Tried to log on and the Stern website said that my password was invalid for a password that has previously worked for probably several months. There was a click button to reset the password and when I pushed that button, the system said that it sent me an email to reset my password, but that email never showed up as far as I can tell. Now I see why...

#1098 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Can confirm that if you already have All-Access and go to create a "new" account now with the same email address, it'll automatically associate the two accounts and carry over your subscription. Proof:[quoted image]

Same here.
I entered the required information with my initials, an icon and such and got a confirmation email to click on a link to activate it.
The key thing is that I was able to print my QR code that fits in my wallet from the insider menus there.
There is a discussion forum on the Stern insider area that is not yet active.
You have an option to upgrade to "Insider Connected" for $39.99 per year, but it is not required to print out your QR code.
The code is on a dotted area on the paper that can be cut out and the cut out portion fits in your wallet.

#1136 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Ditto. Stern, are you reading this?

Today, the news is different...
I can confirm that if you already have All-Access and go to create a "new" account now with the same email address, it'll automatically associate the two accounts and carry over your subscription.
I entered the required information with my initials, an icon and such and got a confirmation email to click on a link to activate it.
The key thing is that I was able to print my QR code that fits in my wallet from the insider menus there.
There is a discussion forum on the Stern insider area that is not yet active.
You have an option to upgrade to "Insider Connected" for $39.99 per year, but it is not required to print out your QR code.
The code is on a dotted area on the paper that can be cut out and the cut out portion fits in your wallet.

1 week later
#1341 2 years ago

I guess my thought is that if this QR thing brings in a younger crowd that was not there before, it is a good thing.
I know that a lot of millennials seem to be fixated on their smart phones.
Perhaps the app will make them more interested in playing and making achievements and such.
However, if it is a way to extract more money from the average player, I think that could be an issue for some people.
Right now, having the QR code is free, so I am as happy as a clam.

1 week later
#1421 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Apparently you need to register the machine. I got it.

I think I heard a comment that the machine operator has to establish a "pro" account which requires some interaction with Stern.
Not sure if that applies to home based machines or not.

#1425 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

More profit in selling hardware versus a dongle.

I was thinking the same thing. I think I saw where you can purchase the wifi dongle for about $20, so if someone finds a source for the QR reader part...
Add to that, the fact that I don't really think that the wifi dongle is even required if you connect the machine over ethernet with an RJ45 cable.
The QR reader could be placed inside the coin door without changing the apron or perhaps mounted to the leg of the machine with a cable out the bottom of the cabinet.

#1468 2 years ago

One other thing that Mr. Gomez mentioned on the twitch stream information yesterday was that the insider connect system would "evolve".
He did not elaborate on what exactly that might mean.
He did mention that three separate groups of highly intelligent people are working diligently behind the scenes to make that happen.
He also would not comment on Scorbit, in any fashion.
Almost like he was refusing to admit that it exists.
I guess you can use your imagination on what this system has as the goal post score.

1 month later
#1882 2 years ago

Stern has posted a new video on Youtube, illustrating how to install the insider connected kit on an existing machine.
See attached link:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Forest, IL
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 194.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Atlanta Area, GA
$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.