stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisbardon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#150 2 years ago

Any idea whether this will allow things like per-user high scores or per-user game settings? I remember Predator was talking this up in their design. It'd be awesome for each player to be able to have their own high scores on the game (or last 50 players or something), and to set it up so that if my kids scan, the game will go to extra easy or something (without having to always change the audits).

Also, if you're just scanning a QR code to ID yourself to the game, wouldn't that be easy enough to print out and have on a card or something if you didn't have a phone? Again, could be a way to set it up for the kids.

1 month later
#1406 2 years ago

Is the price going to be the same across the board? If a pro needs a whole new apron, but a premium doesn't, those would theoretically be cheaper, right?

1 month later
#2065 2 years ago

Has anyone transferred an IC game from one owner to another? I just got a used Godzilla pro, and there doesn't seem to be any way to register it to my account. Do I just have to get the old owner to delete it first?

So far I haven't had much luck with the canakit wifi adapter. Signal strength is garbage inside the backbox. With a usb extender it seems a little better out in the open, so I might see if it works any better with an extension cable to the front of the game JJP style. Otherwise, if you want to run off ethernet, does it just connect to the open port on the bottom of the CPU board?

I like the setup with the switch too-I'm guessing you can't just use a standard n-port ethernet switch on there and keep everything connected at the same time? No idea what the protocol is on those lines, but probably something custom. I like the idea of a central sign-in location for all the games though-maybe even a way to drive sign in remotely for tournament play?

#2072 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Has anyone transferred an IC game from one owner to another? I just got a used Godzilla pro, and there doesn't seem to be any way to register it to my account. Do I just have to get the old owner to delete it first?

Update-I messaged the last owner last night, and he unregistered the game. I was able to go in this morning and add it, so now it shows up under Machines in my profile. Good thing too-I was worried for a second that Stern would come back with "IC can only be registered by the original owner of the game", kind of like the old "online pass" thing that EA tried with their games. Glad they took this into account. Now to fix the signal problems...

#2094 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeah all three so far have been different chipsets

Panda dual antenna - Ralink RT5572
Canakit - Ralink 5370
now Startech - Realtek - RTL8188EUS

Strange-that Panda one looks to be at least double the price of the canakit one, but they're sending it out in some of the kits? I'm assuming signal strength would be better on that one too.

2 weeks later
#2298 2 years ago
Quoted from drum412:

So now I'll have to see about relocating the vent booster to another location and get it further from the pinball. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll post back, if by chance it's not the vent fan, but i'm pretty sure it is what was causing interference.

If it helps, I was able to get more reliable wifi reception by relocating the dongle from the metal backbox to the front of the cabinet. I just ran a USB extender down the cabinet and put the dongle by the coinbox, kind of like JJP did on Hobbit and DI. Seems to work better than it was at first.

3 weeks later
#2549 2 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Hi there! I bought a GZ prem that was lightly used. It's registered to the previous owner's name. I have insider connected working great, have done updates, etc but can't figure out how to change the game location name to me? Can anyone help?

Contact the old owner and have them unregister it from their account. Then you can register. Worked just fine when I got my used GZ Pro in Dec.

2 weeks later
#2626 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I bought this TP-Link WiFi adapter (model TL-WN725N): amazon.com link »
Current price is $9.99.
Chipset comes up as RTL8188EU, recognized by Stern IC.
TP-Link makes quality stuff in my experience, so I think this is a wise choice.

So I bought the same wifi adapter as mattosborn did (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008IFXQFU), installed the SD card, and ran a cable from my Gozilla to my IM pro. Game won't recognize the wifi adapter. It also won't recognize the TP-Link one in Godzilla, so I don't think it's compatible with IC. I checked and the Canakit ones are $18 shipping on Amazon Canada, so would rather not have to pay for that.

#2631 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

So I bought the same wifi adapter as mattosborn did (amazon.com link »), installed the SD card, and ran a cable from my Gozilla to my IM pro. Game won't recognize the wifi adapter. It also won't recognize the TP-Link one in Godzilla, so I don't think it's compatible with IC. I checked and the Canakit ones are $18 shipping on Amazon Canada, so would rather not have to pay for that.

So I ended up finding a workaround by using an old powerline ethernet kit that I had around. I've never found those things to be very useful, but given how little data IC needs for the basic stuff, I figured it'd be worth a shot. Ran cables to my Maiden and Avengers, and everything worked. It does seem a little strange that IC needs the QR reader in place to even get online, but once it's registered booting without the reader attached doesn't give any grief, but it does mean that a solution like this works. Still waiting on the switch to arrive, but cabling is done, which means getting 2 more games connected cost me a 4 port switch, a couple of SD cards, and a bunch of cat5e cable that I already had lying around, which is much more reasonable than $350 CAD per game

1 week later
#2748 2 years ago

Finished off my IC hack to get the Godzilla reader onto my other two games. Overall instead of $700 ($350 CAD each) in IC kits from Stern, I was in for a $25 switch, 2 $12 microsd cards, and some recycled ethernet cable. I also designed/3d printed a bracket for the switch to go in the bill acceptor hole on the coin door. I didn't have a problem leaving the reader in the apron (art is there for it anyway), and this means being able to access the switch without opening the door:

20220305_141356 (resized).jpg20220305_141356 (resized).jpg
20220305_142115 (resized).jpg20220305_142115 (resized).jpg

Thanks to everyone else who already worked out how to do this. I ended up going wired ethernet (using a powerline adapter that I had lying around) instead of messing with finding a wifi dongle that worked.

#2754 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

I also designed/3d printed a bracket for the switch to go in the bill acceptor hole on the coin door. I didn't have a problem leaving the reader in the apron (art is there for it anyway), and this means being able to access the switch without opening the door:

If anyone is interested, I uploaded the STL here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5275178. It's sized to fit this bracket https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F65L4RG with the cover removed.

2 months later
#3014 1 year ago
Quoted from Krellan:

I'm going to try the solution of a repeater, using a small travel router that I stuff into the game (powered from the service outlet), and then hook up the game with a wired connection to the router. I also need the capability to connect to a 5 GHz network, which I've heard the Stern Insider kit can't do by default, unfortunately.

Why not just hook the game up to ethernet? You can plug that into the backbox and ignore the wifi dongle. Unless the wired network requires auth of course, in which case your solution works as long as the travel router can authenticate.

1 week later
#3063 1 year ago
Quoted from Krellan:

Is there an opening, in the back of the game, to get the wired Ethernet cable through? I looked around. Unfortunately, it's solid metal back there. The ventilation holes at the top appear too small to get a cable through (unlike the old Williams backboxes, which had wider holes).

I just went through the vents at the bottom of the game. There's a mesh piece stapled on there, but that's easy enough to bend back. Topper hole is also an option.

10 months later
#4870 1 year ago
Quoted from thelogmancometh:

Folks who have owned IC for awhile now, how are you liking it? I've been going back and forth about getting it for a few months and am curious where people see enjoyment value from it long-term (with the current feature set).

I like having the score/play trackers on the website (things like high/avg personal scores). The Percentile measure they added is neat, but I'm not sure I believe that my 840M high score so far on my JP is 100th percentile (that's either a low number of games with IC, or a lot of people without their best games scanned). Achievements are neat too, as are things like tracking daily streaks. As something that came with the game (on my GZ and JP), it's a neat addon. I don't think it's worth the price for the upgrade kits, but I'm also happy with my scanner sharing solution for IM and AIQ, since 95% of the time it's me playing my games using Home Team. Not the easiest thing to share with a whole lot of people, but for home use, it's great.

Code updates online are a nice bonus too. I didn't think I'd care as much, but when they did new code for everything because of the latest IC update, that saved some time for sure.

#4880 1 year ago

In case anyone is wondering (I was this morning), this new code works OK with multiple games sharing one QR reader. Scans and home team work OK after updating everything.

#4895 12 months ago
Quoted from Anony:

Can anyone tell me how long of an ethernet cable I need to relocate the scanner to the coin door? Also is it just standard cat5 that I need?

Yes, standard cat5. I made my own cables for my IC switch, and just used the ethernet cable I had lying around.

1 week later
#4919 11 months ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Hey everyone, I have two machines that have IC. A DP Pro and a new FF LE. The signals on DP were very weak but it worked (signal was in the 30s). On FF I can't get IC to stay connected. So I swapped the WiFi USB adapters to see if it helped. Sure enough I have signal strength on FF now and virtually no signal on my DP (they are next to each other and 15 open air feet from the wireless AP). I realize these USB wifi adapters are garbage, has anyone used a better unit with dual or external antennas?

One thing I did on my GZ that seemed to help a bit was use a USB extension cable and put the wifi adapter near the coin door like the JJP games. Figured maybe the wood cabinet would let more through than the metal backbox? I wasn't able to find a good replacement adapter for my IM/AIQ, so I just hard wired them with Ethernet and an old powerline adapter I had.

1 month later
#4996 10 months ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

After a game you get a QR code which records what happened in the game, and then you can scan the QR code to play back the recording on a pinball machine. The ball would stay in the trough, but the flippers and lights and modes would progress to recreate the saved game. And then the game would ask you procedurally generated trivia questions about what happened in the saved game.

I was actually thinking that being able to generate/save a log of a game would be kind of neat. If you kept track of switch hits/timing etc, you could reconstruct a replay of a game. Would be a cool tournament feature, but could also be a huge help in development, since it could give you more data for bug reports, indications of where scoring was broken, or telemetry on what people are and aren't achieving (the kinds of things that are in most modern games). Probably way more work than it's worth though.

6 months later
#5630 4 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks both of you. It seems rather easy as long as I can get to the rj45 for the ic reader on foo which I assume will be easy.

Dead simple. Pop the PF out onto the supports, and the QR reader is right there under the apron. Standard RJ45 pinout works just fine, so as long as you have a long enough cable, you're good.

Not sure about the wifi dongle though-you might try putting that in FF first to see if it connects?

1 week later
#5713 3 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

These are the "final" badges for completing all IC objectives and their user counts. For us, GZ was the most difficult but has the highest number of users who completed the gauntlet. Then again, there are probably 3x as may GZ out there as Foo or Bond from a population of machines perspective. Either way, I thought the comparison was interesting!

Interesting-that's more people on the GZ one than I expected. I got 11/12, but tapped out on the 25B. Just took way too long, with either a bunch of OK games in the 250M range, or multiple monster games in the 2.5B range. The JP 30th one also required a bunch of days, but it wasn't as high a score threshold, so more people earned it:

JP 30th (resized).pngJP 30th (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

9,000 (OBO)
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

5,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrisbardon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=chrisbardon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.