stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmore-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

What if they dont have a phone? (believe it or not, some people dont or at least dont have smart phones. I work in IT at a college and when we tried to roll out 2FA it was crazy how many dont). Now all you have to do is log in to a computer and print off a QR code. Seems like a good decision to me. This way nobody is excluded.

The subsection of pinball playing people that don't own smart phones is so small it's not worth worrying about at all

#503 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Plus, static QR code is worse for player security.
"Look, I printed off a QR code so I don't have to use my phone!".
Three beers later:
"Fuck, I lost my card!"
Now some dingus has your card. Maybe not a big issue in the scheme of things, but a dynamic security QR code that the pin generates and displays on the screen has other benefits, not just eliminating a QR reader from each pin.

You guys are over thinking this - it's not bank level security - it's a f'n arcade game

Quoted from Dent00:

One thing about this entire effort that makes it a little bit fruitless in my opinion is the fact that you have to load an app on your phone to read the QR code on the machine you are playing. So what happens if you don't have a phone that will read a QR code? That is me... I have a phone that makes phone calls and sends text messages just fine, but I never turn on the data... In fact, I keep the "data" turned off to avoid those charges. The phone even takes great Hires photographs. It's a 4G phone by the way and AT&T keeps sending me messages and junk mail that I have to upgrade to a 5G phone to be able to continue to use data. Since I never use any data, I just ignore those messages. I don't see why the machine cannot just connect to wifi at the location where it is located so that I don't have to pay for the data transmission, to be honest.

As said a million times, for you non smart phone guys, print out the QR code and carry it in your wallet - or turn on your data most likely you are already paying for data in your phone plan and just not using it.

#577 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Why wouldnt people NOT post their Qr code and let others pay to bump your achievements up? Every play gives you a boost somehow... and Stern couldn't stop you from doing it except to cancel any account where the Qr caode has been published?
And what if your account unlocks features... people play your code, get farther into game, you reap achievements... seems like a crack in the armor...

Because, none of us really care that much - it's just pinball
but I guess some of you in high school paid others to take the SAT for you...

#605 2 years ago
Quoted from bdaddy:

I think OP's point was, not to do it just for bragging rights, but Gomez was hinting at "swag" being offered (hats, shirts, etc.) from Stern as well as offers (free games, free burger, etc.) from the operators. I mean while you say none of us really care that much, I think most people wouldn't mind a free Stern t-shirt or a free burger at their local pinball place, and all that would be required is sharing your barcode with a buddy who happens to be really good at a certain game.

if a free burger means that much too you, than by all means go ahead and "cheat"

1 week later
#722 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

I have scorebit on our JJP games and it feels clunky and lacks features ....

so just like JJP games

It's an attempt at humor ... relax

4 weeks later
#1207 2 years ago

signed up
Should there be a stand alone phone app?

2 months later
#2214 2 years ago

anybody try and connect a WiFi dongle to their machine without the insider connect to see if you can connect and get code updates?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 35.00
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 19.99
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bmore-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=bmore-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.