stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobbyIRL5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1735 2 years ago

With the new code, assuming we need the upgrade kits to go online? Or can we add a WiFi adapter to one of the USB ports (like on a JJP?) to do future online code updates?

#1759 2 years ago

without the update kit, is there any reason to put the most recent code on?

2 weeks later
#1894 2 years ago

Would be nice if you could save connect profiles on a machine, sort of a pain to have to scan every time when it’s a home machine and only one person playing it. But enjoying the features!

#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Agreed. For home use, it’s really not good for much at this point.

Fun to save a killer score. And encouraging to see “achievements” pop up, but agree not of much value.

8 months later
#3756 1 year ago

Intentionally deleted

#3775 1 year ago

I have a Batman 66 that I’m trying to install insider on. I’ve got the ethernet splitter, but I do not know how to configure it. When I plug it into either port of node eight, and then plug in the insider to one side of the split and the cable I took out of node 8 into the other (no matter which port on node 8 I used), I get node board failures, no matter which way I configure it. Help! Assuming this has to be laid out pretty clearly in the Batman apron instructions for insider, but I didn’t buy that because I don’t want to get rid of the LE apron, using a coin door mount. Any help appreciated!

#3777 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Your splitter should have 1 input, 2 outputs (its not ethernet.. just a RJ-45 splitter.. but regardless)
Just take the RJ-45 going into the coin door node board, remove it, plug into the input side of your splitter. Then plug rj-45 cables into the two outputs.. run one back to the coin door board, one to the QR reader node board.
You can do the same thing with Node 8 if you cared, but coin door board is closer to where you want anyways.
As long as you are using straight through cables and the right kind of splitter, its kinda hard to mess up.

I did this on the node 8 board (both RJ45 ports), and it didn’t work (gave me different node board errors). I’m wondering if my node boards are wired together differently (or if it would even matter), or if somehow I picked up a crossover cable for my extra( which I didn’t even think existed anymore!). If it’s as simple as this (and I’m glad to know it’s supposed to be) it should have already worked. I’ll try using the coin door board and change out Ethernet cables as well.

#3780 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Do you have a topper? If not, just buy a long cat5 cable and run it to he scanner from them empty node port in the backbox. If you bought the coin door mount from me, this is covered in the instructions and the provided cable is long enough to do the job.

I've got a topper. it works if I unplug the topper and plug it in (just no topper!)

#3781 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Have to ask the obvious question... You didn't accidently plug Node 8 into the other pin's CPU, right? You need to plug the OCR scanner (either by using the female-to-female adaptor or just plug into the OCR itself) into the other pin's CPU.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I'm just trying to use one machine, BM66. I've installed Insider on 5 other Sterns I own, and there was an empty (or terminated) RJ45 on Node 8, plugged in, and it worked fine. On BM66, on node 8 they are both full, one goes to what looks like the center of the playfield, another goes all the way up to the backbox and is plugged into the main board, one of the 3 RJ45 receptors at the bottom (CPU I think is what it would be called).

#3782 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, I'm just trying to use one machine, BM66. I've installed Insider on 5 other Sterns I own, and there was an empty (or terminated) RJ45 on Node 8, plugged in, and it worked fine. On BM66, on node 8 they are both full, one goes to what looks like the center of the playfield, another goes all the way up to the backbox and is plugged into the main board, one of the 3 RJ45 receptors at the bottom (CPU I think is what it would be called).

Topper board has an extra port that is open, I hadn't seen that before, plugged in there and it all works fine, so no splitting needed. I'll still try to figure out why splitting wasn't working, as I'd rather be plugged into the coin door board vs topper long run.

#3784 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Make sure you were plugging your splitter in so the input side is coming from the 'upstream' daisy chain leading back to the CPU. You can connect to either jack on node 8, you just have to be aware of which is acting as in and out.. so you continue the chain successfully.
The two RJ-45 jacks on node 8 are the same... but it's the sequence of the daisy chain of boards that matters. You can easily tell which is which by simply unplugging one and seeing if that board goes offline, or if its the next board downstream that goes offline. If you unplug the jack and node 8 is reported missing by the game, that's the 'in' feed to the board. All of this is moot when you use the coindoor board because the coindoor board only has an input and no daisy chain ability.
Just unplug input to coindoor, insert into 1:2 splitter input.. connect one output back to coindoor board. If coindoor board doesn't come up, your splitter or inbetween cable is of the wrong type.
For spotting a cross-over RJ-45 cable.. just look at the colored wires in the jack ends. Should be same color order on both ends.

Figured it out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLWK6SV
This splitter does not work. It wouldn't even work just inline (with one device plugged in).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0069LVUPS
This one worked with one device, but not the second, because wait for it, bad ethernet cable (not even crossover just bad) on the second device. Ugh.

I'm good to go, should have tried that from the beginning. But I learned something!

#3786 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Glad you got it working. I was just double checking that you were connecting things correctly.

Greatly appreciate the help!

#3790 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I have several coin door kits that came back from powder coating with some cosmetic blemishes. I am selling the for half of the normal price. If you have any questions, please PM me directly.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/07114-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount-blemish
[quoted image]

Great product by the way!

99A1D493-AB1A-441C-885A-E605363442E9 (resized).jpeg99A1D493-AB1A-441C-885A-E605363442E9 (resized).jpeg
#3792 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah the coin door mount is the way to go. I have them on all four of my IC games. Unfortunately with the new home team, I only needed one! Oh well, at least IC came with 3 of the 4 and I only bought a kit for LZ. I'll be giving that reader from LZ to a friend and he can spend the $20 on a wifi dongle and micro SD card.

I saw a post showing how to share and it basically looked like just splitting the IC to all the different machines. If this is the case and all machines are on, what happens when you go and scan? Or do you just use Home Team and it’s just plugged in so the Wi-Fi works?

#3794 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah this is not splitting, it's a new software feature. Basically you go in to the net settings and scan someone in to the "Home Team". Once that happens all of the machines at your house/location will add that player to the home team and they can log in by just holding the left flipper down for two seconds and choosing their user name. So basically you only need a scanner on one machine and once you are on your own home team you will never need to use a QR code again in your own house. The other machines will still need wifi to be connected to the IC server in the cloud and an SD to download new software on.

Copy that. I thought the Wi-Fi wouldn’t work without an IC connection.

#3798 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It won't.. the change is the game allows you to 'log in' without having the scanner connected at the time via home team.
So you connect a reader+MicroSD+wifi... setup IC on that game... then afterwards, the reader doesn't need to be connected for the IC and home team functionality to keep working. So basically you only need the reader for first time setup.
We'll have to see if Stern lets this unofficial method to keep working as it does right now.

Can you do Wi-Fi updates without the IC hardware (after it’s been used to setup once)?

#3816 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Unfortunately no. You can't even get into the IC menu without all three hardware components (scanner, micro SD card, wifi dongle). Seems like logging in as a home team player is exempt since that bit of functionality is outside of the IC service menu.
Would love to be able to update without the (seemingly irrelevant) scanner.

This was my experience which is why I thought you needed the hardware on each one.

#3885 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

A lot of people don't understand that some people have more money in this hobby than others? Pretty sure everybody knows that. Just because I can afford to drop 2K on IC doesn't mean I would if there is an alternative that costs 90% less...oh and less labor since I don't have to change out 10 aprons. I was just ragging on him because he made the same comment in the Star Wars owner thread. Secretly I think he wants Stern to require the QR scanner so that everyone has to buy them like him.

I've got them on all my Sterns, retrofitted, and not cheap! Did it all before Hometeam came out. I'm not upset about it, I think it's cool tech, and the online updating alone is worth it to me.

The best thing I've purchased as relates to the Insider Connect is the Coin Door dollar bill mount. I was hesitant on 4 or 5 LE's altering the way the apron was meant to look, this solves it, so I think this means you can buy the pro versions on all games (cheaper?).

As relates to using one piece of IC hardware to configure and then use Hometeam, that works great I guess if you're the only one playing your games, right? Or could a friend scan in on the machine with the scanner, add to hometeam on that machine, and then play on the machine next door (is it instant or would it require a reboot)? Curious on this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oxford, GA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobbyIRL5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=RobbyIRL5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.