stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OhmEye.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

If I changed my original post to say "out of the box" instead of "on the cpu" would that make my problem clearer? Having Wi-Fi is now going to be an additional cost added on to a system that really should have had it out of the box. I don't think it is a hindsight thing, Spike 2 was designed in 2015 or so. Wi-Fi was pretty ubiquitous. There must've been a decision point to NOT include it back in the design phase, and I would have to guess that the option to sell it as an additional addon at some point was somewhere in that discussion.

I agree, I'm sure they made a choice to not include it at the time. But I'd be flabbergasted if they did include an unused module in the BOM for every machine for 6 years. The whole point of a modular design is to facilitate additions like this over the life of the platform.

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Adding WiFi to spike would be easy peasy as it’s Linux based, simple as plugging in a usb WiFi module they cost peanuts.

Stern not only keeps the BOM minimal, they even shave it for the Pro at expense of needing different manufacturing steps/parts. It's precisely because of how easy it is to add a ethernet/WIFI module to their modular platform that I would expect them to not add it until they have product support for it. As it turns out, the WIFI module itself is obviously a minor cost in the set of BOM changes needed, I think the apron bracket and camera are probably more cost than the network components but my point is that the benefit of a modular design is NOT having to add in advance everything you think you may use in the future.

A couple or more years from now, if their "Connected" platform matures into something actually deployed and adopted widely enough to be relevant we may consider it to be a good thing to have been included in all pins shipped for the past couple years by the time some reason appears for many of us to want to use it.

Personally I'm cynical but still a bit hopeful that eventually something will be done with this connectivity in a way that interests me.

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Alright guys i am a complete idiot. My first pin since they changed the rests for the playfield when lifting the playfield. I swear these long black plastic things look like antennas before you lift the playfield. Ha. Its just awkward long plastic things instead of those metal rails.

lol! so that's what you meant! I forgot about the pegs, I hate them and the first thing I did was replace them with service rails.

#497 2 years ago

You don't need a phone. You can create your account with any web browser. You can print your account QR code on a card to carry with you, or tattoo it on your forehead. Connected pins will have a QR scanner/camera in the apron to scan your QR code, whether it's on paper or a phone screen. That seemed pretty clear to me from the info released so far.

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Wonder how many folks with game code mods will adopt this (as you'll need official unmodded code)? Granted the game mods add a ton of media but the functionality / competition factor may win over some more than others. Seems as though with GotG recent update, Stern has locked the ability to be able to use Pinbrowser to make mods.

Yep. No way I'm giving up my movie soundstrack and callouts on GOTG for this.

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

What you on about, someone stealing my stern QR code is my biggest fear I don’t know what I’d do if it ever happened

I plan to create an account and print business cards with the QR code on them and leave a stack on every location pin I find inviting the random public to use them.

#524 2 years ago
Quoted from luch:

no cell phone here , how's this gonna to work ?
[quoted image]

I'm not sure why people don't get this. It's not you or your phone that need an internet connection, this whole thing is about putting the pin on the internet. If it was using your phone's connection they wouldn't need to add a wifi and scanner to the pin, it would just be a QR code sticker.

#568 2 years ago

What I've seen so far doesn't include anything I care about having but I'm curious to see what happens with it over the next couple years. My predictions aren't very positive but it's fun to be wrong. I suspect people will find ways to (ab)use it that Stern doesn't intend and maybe even come up with a use case that's worthwhile. Maybe it will evolve into something else. Maybe it will follow the CueCat. If it adds something to your life, by all means enjoy it. If it doesn't, it doesn't. MSRP was going up regardless. I'll play my game my way and respect you to play yours.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OhmEye.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=OhmEye and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.