stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flipstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#815 2 years ago
Quoted from Gizmata:

I think people are concerned that they are going to purchase a shiny expensive box with poor code and then be expected to keep paying even more to use the better code. Its possible they could force internet only updates, and always on connection, so if you aren't updated, or subscribed, you can't play the game

Gomez said in an interview that the pinball tables like Godzilla will continue to do everything they do today regardless of the QR feature, so I'm not too worried about HUOs getting screwed. I'm betting we will always be able to do USB updates, since they aren't going to rip out that SPIKE2 update code for all the existing tables that won't have Insider/QR kit support. Bricking tables would be incredibly dumb PR move for Stern. However, I can see Stern blocking tables with custom code (i.e. Pinball Browser and JP/TMNT content changes) from working with the Insider and limiting them to offline play.

Crawling around their IC site, I'm not seeing anything that requires the machine owner to pay anything beyond cost of the kit. There's a free player account option, which looks like it will be tied to current free insider logins. I suspect it requires logging into the Insider website or a new Stern app (Nothing on the Google play store yet) with a new or existing Insider account, the same one that currently gets you all the marketing E-Mails and stuff. The free level looks to have the score tracking, forums, and achievements tied in. Makes sense, few people would use it if there was a cost.

Paying the $39/year for the same Insider all-access unlocks the same LE merch store and table access (https://sternpinball.com/stern-insider/), plus whatever the new "special game related content" entails.

There appears to be an application for operators (Insider Pro) that gives stats on machine plays, remote machine access to push updates/settings changes, and run/schedule promotions: https://insider.sternpinball.com/pro The apply link doesn't work since the IC website isn't accepting Insider accounts yet.

I'm wondering if Pro access will have a cost or not. I can't see operators being keen on paying annual fees on top of kit costs to retrofit their existing machines since it would cut into ROI. I also wonder if Stern will eventually incorporate account balances and the ability to pay for games via scan. That feature would likely also require operators having the ability to give location owners the ability to give out free compensation games.

#829 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Here's a question or two that brings both the insider program and machine price hikes into focus...
Are the Stern price increases, that are putting machines further out of the hands of the common man, making on location play more lucrative to operators?

I would say the price increase might have a small effect, although probably not an appreciable amount. The "common man" demographic group doesn't own machines, so they likely have no idea what the price of the machine is, or the fact there was a 10% price increase. The home owners demographic group that also play on location will continue to do so, likely at the same rate/frequency.

Quoted from Bublehead:

Are operators willing to pay the higher machine prices...

Stern is still the cheapest of the new table manufacturers, and it's always been a requirement to "Keep up with the Joneses" for arcades.

Outside of COVID impacts, the price increase is likely very manageable from a location business perspective, like the bar+arcade trend. If a $600 increase is a make or break point on affordability, it's probably not wise to pick up a new machine even without the increase. They'd be better of investing that money on the existing core business and advertising.

I've seen the new hotness table at every pinball/arcade/gaming convention I've ever been to pick up 400-600 plays in two days. However, that's unusually specialized and ravenous traffic volumes that locations don't get all at once. I'm not a business owner though, so I can't say what profits are like with COVID right now and how much it would impact ROI.

Straight operators that split intake with location owners are going to feel a bigger ROI pinch since they don't have things like bar and restaurant income to supplement or compensate. It might mean an increase in new game prices to $1.25 or $1.50 per game in some locations. If competition in the area is low, having the newest tables right away or adding Insider kits to current machines will be way less important. Smart location owners and operators would use the newer tables as differentiating factors in areas with competition, or as a way to increase return business via the promotion system.

Quoted from Bublehead:

...knowing that it makes it harder to own a machine and more likely the common man will seek out location play as their best bang for the buck?

To be specific, I don't believe there is any correlation between the "common man" demographic and location play vs. home ownership cost. The "common man" doesn't, and will likely never, own a pinball machine. It might tip the scales for home owners to buy Hot Wheels and just play Godzilla at the arcade, although I've talked to some owners that already take that stance. If the theme/game has a strong pull though, it likely won't matter. I own JP even though there are at least two on location in town.

Quoted from Bublehead:

Does the Insider program help operators by making it easier for the common man to afford on location play by providing discounts or loyalty points that can offset the high on-location game pricing that is being used to offset the higher machine costs, or is it more a perception thing, where the player perceives he is getting something for next to nothing?

It's an incentive feature free to the customer which are VERY effective at driving repeat customers and building brand loyalty. It's exactly like club cards, flyer miles, hotel points, gas rewards, and any other loyalty program out there.

Let me paint a picture:

"I didn't really like LZ when they got it here since it felt kinda boring, and I'm not really a fan of their music. It's got the QR kit now though, and the app has instructions on what I need to do for these achievements. A lot of these seem pretty easy to pick up, and would bump up my XP leaderboard spot here at the arcade. I guess I could play a few games to try and unlock some of the achievements while Mando and Zilla still have longer lines."

Or another scenario:

"I've got JP at home already and opted not to get the QR kit since it was going to be $300 and felt like a waste at home. They've got it here though and it's a little while before league starts still. Hah! I'll go play a couple of games, try to hit Visitor Center, and knock out almost all these achievements. Even better, they're verified which I wouldn't get at home even if I had the kit."

Quoted from Bublehead:

$40 bucks a year better get me at least 40 free games somewhere, or at least a fricken t-shirt (preferably one that fits, but most don't print anything bigger than a 3X) because even loot boxes have stuff worth some $$$ inside them. Just offering me "something to be named later", in that I have no idea what I am buying at the time of purchase, seems to be a growing market trend. Caveat Emptor or "buyer beware" is being replaced with "buyer don't care" and they argue the point by saying "it's only $39.95 a year, so why care?

It's a moot point since all-access essentially does nothing right now; all the announced features are available at the free Insider account level. It's a matter of Stern showing sufficient value before people buy all-access that don't already have it. I really don't see Stern making the poor decision of locking any significant gameplay to all-access beyond the scope/impact of what toppers provide.

It's a common saying that 80% of profits come from 20% of the users. I predict that all-access will add features that cater to whales and competitive crowds and will do things like profile picutre unlocks on the LCD display, have a username show up instead of initials, a special symbol or color change on high scores, longer initial limits, shows off completed achievements, that sort of thing. Features that are neat and flashy, but don't significantly impact the actual gameplay in any significant way. This is all a SWAG on whatever "special game related content" really turns into.

Stern implemented topper DLC though, so who knows? Maybe all-access will enable the topper DLC modes without actually requiring the topper. That would actually be a really smart thing for Stern to do. The code is already written on the tables, toppers are a limited commodity, and seems like a very low effort to implement once IC code rolls out to tables. Then, a $200-300 kit and $30/year nets you the same thing as a $600-2,000 topper, minus the actual topper, of course.

Quoted from Bublehead:

One thing is absolutely certain in all of this- This is just another scheme of Stern's to put more of your dollars in their pocket, or the pockets of operators, and no offense to operators, but why would they drop $200 per machine unless it has some ROI?

Operators should be absolutely salivating over the thought of a digital loyalty program with added routing benefits and easier analytics. Unless Stern neuters the program out of the gate by charging per machine fees for Pro accounts, or operators have no competition in their area, they should be all over this. It doesn't even touch on other possible advantages like tournament reporting, Twitch/YouTube integration, linked competitive play...

#876 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is the company that has yet to net enable their games in 2021.... aka a decade or so behind... I don't think we need to worry about them forcing everyone to a Stern payment system when they haven't even taken their first baby steps.
Other vendors do this, but have well established platforms and a HECK of a lot more earnings potential along with a 'killer product' that Ops basically are forced to play along. None of that applies to Stern right now. So not seeing any of that kind of stuff for years at best.

It doesn't look like Stern wrote the service in-house: https://www.viget.com/work/stern-insider-connected/

#892 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm super curious what kind of achievements they will come up with. This is isn't specific to Scorebit but I hope pinball comes up with some real game specific achievements. I get the feeling they are going to get lame shit. Send a friend an a link, advertise for us on social media, play our pins at 5 different locations. If that is all we get this is going to be be very short lived. I don't know anything about Scorebit but I want achievements like hit every target clockwise in less than one minute or play 15 games in a row and never drain on the left for the dresses right award. Fun silly stuff that you have to hunt and search to discover, I want threads on Pinside when they get discovered.

I believe Scorbit is primarily score and mode focused from what I've seen out of their APIs. They might be able to see switch level events, I don't know if they are doing anything with them yet. Maybe with achievements they are now...

2 weeks later
#1293 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Stern really need to roll out retrofit kits for this takes off and see a big uptake of locations, at the minute if you don’t have a Godzilla you can’t roll this out at your location.
And get an APP out ASAP! No one wants to use a web browser link especially kids, my misses little brother has previously had no interest in my pins at all the idea of achievements finally has his interest but the lack of an APP “is not cool and makes for hard work!” not my words but the thoughts of the younger generation.

I can appreciate the complaint. However, I don't know if Apple's stance has changed from my prior experience. A company I used to work for had a problem trying to make a free utility app that could leverage built-in cameras for barcode scanning. We gave up trying to get it certified by Apple and went with a web UI and Bluetooth wedge scanners.

They might kick back Stern's app since it requires external hardware to function (i.e. IC enabled pinball machines) and subscription fee options outside of Apple's ability to take a percentage cut.

#1299 2 years ago
Quoted from davegauth:

Then this is a really dumb question - How do you get your QR code on your phone in order to scan it?

There's an icon at the bottom center of the web page that opens a window with your unique QR code. It only shows up when the browser width matches the responsive page layout limit for a mobile device:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1301 2 years ago
Quoted from davegauth:

Got it - thank you. Viewing the website on a desktop versus a cell phone browser is different. I had to use my cell in order to see the QR code option at the bottom.

Responsive layout changes, yep. Resizing a desktop browser window narrower until it shows up also works.

#1320 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

I didn’t get my hopes up but I am disappointed the “6 games supported at launch” is really only one since the wifi kits and code aren’t available. Anyone have any intel on that?

Scuttlebutt I've heard is the kits aren't ready, it isn't a code problem. Don't know anything beyond that, although I suspect it's a labor/supply problem like the rest of the tech world.

#1372 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Making some achievements exclusive to paid opportunities, etc… also natural fits.

Hate to break this to you, but...

Screenshot_20211018-201457 (resized).pngScreenshot_20211018-201457 (resized).png

1 week later
#1541 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Your name is supposed to show up on the screen.

If the machine is hooked to the internet and registered, the display should look something like this after it scans on free play:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Not sure what it does for a machine that isn't on free play, credit machines might need to have the game started prior to scanning. Experimenting at CAX, players can scan their QR code at any time during the game; I think I did a scan/login in a multiplayer game during my ball two, IIRC.

#1555 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Thanks! I didn't think there would be that many. Looks like they have just about everything in there including life time ones you'd accumulate over several games. I like that a lot.

The site keeps track of how many accumulated items are verified and non-verified, as well.

1 month later
#1803 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

Here is a quick tutorial i created for sharing your Stern IC QR reader to other compatible Games.

Any particular wiring requirements for the RJ45 connection? Does it matter, or will any straight-through wire order work?

2 weeks later
#1997 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

Anyone installed this on IMDN yet? The RJ-45 connector they want you to connect the QR reader to is already occupied connecting Node 8,9. Not sure where else I could connect this.

I'm not sure it matters as long as it's an empty RJ45. I plugged the reader from my Godzilla table into two different plugs for the same node board between Godzilla and Jurassic Park with no problems.

#2006 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Don't know if this has been asked before but here it goes:
Does anyone know if this set is a generic set or fixed for one machine. It comes with some generic apron for which the stickers need to be moved to the new apron

Everything is table agnostic for the Insider Connector kits. I installed a new MicroSD card into my JP Pro, plugged the table into my Ethernet network to avoid needing/buying a WiFi adapter, and ran a new CAT6 cable between the RJ45 port on Godzilla's code reader and the open RJ45 on the node 8 board in JP.

I installed the new code update on JP and table registration worked like a champ. The hardest part was getting the existing cable unplugged from the code reader on Godzilla.

Quoted from HarrieD:

(why by the way, it can't be too expensive to add a set of apron stickers)

There is no way for Stern to predict how many stickers to print for kits, and it complicates orders and getting stock to distributors. The last thing Stern needs is another supply chain hurdle...

1 month later
#2620 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

yeah, i have an open network in my shop and i had to use my wifi hotspot on my phone to update a godzilla for a customer.
seems a bit strange actually.

Next time just do a USB upgrade, unless you explicitly wanted to setup/use IC.

1 week later
#2646 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

It does seem a little strange that IC needs the QR reader in place to even get online, but once it's registered booting without the reader attached doesn't give any grief, but it does mean that a solution like this works.

The code reader is the only component of the Insider Connected kit that can't be replaced by off-the-shelf parts and used to limit which tables have IC kits or not.

Quoted from gamera9:

trying to hook up my QC Reader upgrade kit to my Star Wars Pro.
Node board 8 already has 2 RJ45 cables connected to it.
Where do I plug it in?
Do I have to run a cable to the CPU or will a splitter work?

You can plug the reader into any open RJ45 port on node 8, node 9, or lower part of the CPU board. Can't use a splitter or hub/switch.

6 months later
#3907 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’m one of those at nearly £300 a pop for an IC kit here in the U.K. I won’t be buying kits for my older spike 2 games but if I can get them online using home team, it makes me far more interested and keen to see what IC continues to add to games and brings in the future.

Unfortunately, if a QR reader isn't connected to the machine, the code disables the IC features.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 899.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flipstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=Flipstream and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.