stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1507 2 years ago

Might have missed it, but is there a monthly fee for Insider Connect support?

Regards

#1515 2 years ago

I'm still not clear if a monthly fee will be required for Insider Connected, like there is for Scorbit, can someone please clarify ? I tried to find the information, but did not see a clear statement

If a fee is required, then the value add over Scorbit is rather low, since I would prefer a single user interface that would work across several machines (not just Spike2), plus allowing me to transfer the unit from machine to machine (with appropriate adapters).

If no fee, then this makes more sense as this become an integral part of the Pinball experience

#1577 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Yeah $200 is $100 more than I would be willing to pay for connect, this should be a loss leader so to speak and the revenue and profit should come from the connect membership levels.

I'd actually prefer the complete other way around. Fixed fee, all add-ons free. I certainly don't want to pay a monthly fee to get access to new content.

2 months later
#2437 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The node bus is serial, like RS485, with 48V power on same cable. Not Ethernet although it uses Ethernet cabling.

It is RS485, as can be attested when looking at the node board schematics.

So yes you can have a splitter, although it's not recommended, but if a the end of the chain (or beginning), it's not a big deal

#2474 2 years ago

Kind of lost track, are they shipping insider kit to home users now?

2 months later
#2877 2 years ago

/rant mode on

Insider connect requires a modified apron for the reader, which is frankly awful looking. OK, no worries, just put the reader in the coin door using some community made 3D model. Yes, but... In Europe, Spike 2 coin door does NOT have the opening that is being used to fit the reader.

And a US coin door is 200 euros, and it's not available...

So I have a choice between not installing IC, or install IC and ruin my apron artwork with this awful integrated reader. Or not update the firmware and stick with the older one to ensure I get Scorbit compatibility (because of course Stern disabled Scorbit support in the latest release of the firmware), but in this case I lose some bug fixes that were not made available.

/rant mode off

If anyone has a practical solution to this, I'm all ear.

I think I'll end up adding an opening in the cabinet bottom, route the cable and reader externally to a suitable location outside of the machine. And use a mechanical splitter to share the reader across machines.

#2885 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Why buy the while door? Shouldn't you just need the door skin and the outer coin chute and coin return bevel with flap? Pinball Life sells the door skin for a very reasonable $25.
https://www.pinballlife.com/coin-door-face-with-bill-validator-cutout.html[quoted image]

Ah many thanks, that's indeed much more cost attractive. Not sure I understand what else is needed however from your post?

4 months later
#3617 1 year ago

Am I the only one thinking this whole Google Wallet / Apple Wallet thing is a blessing in disguise ?

Because frankly, all it brings, today, is a QR code accessible from within an application. Stern could have developed an application that would provide QR code along with more advanced analytics on games, easier to access leaderboard, rather than integrate the QR code within a Wallet application.

To me this is an indication of longer term plan around monetization. If they have users using Google Wallet, then it's a very thin line between the current situation and collecting money for various use cases. Things like DLC for home users, or paying directly your game on location (and thus taking a cut on the operator benefit).

#3630 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

well to make an app then they will need to pay the dev fees and for apple need to buy apple hardware to dev on.
and monetization but not takeing CC cards?
How many operator will really want stern takeing an cut of there coin drop + takeing out fees for games paid with an account?
And can operator say they want X per game or must they take what stern says they will pay?
and let's say stern does some promo and gives players free games (on any game) and then only gives an op like $0.50 per play when they want to change $1.50-$2.00 an game for there game?

Once you're enabled in Google Wallet, it becomes your credit card (provided of course that you have enabled that, but chances are you did if you are using Wallet in the first place). It's straightforward after that for Stern to use Google Wallet or Apple Wallet to process payments.

And that's my point: operators do NOT want that. But if Stern manages to drive Insider Connect through the players (so IC games get more play than regular non connected games), they have leverage to push the operator to accept some kind of profit split deal.

Personally, I'm absolutely positive this is the direction Stern management is taking. Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure, given the new CEO profile (he's coming from Disney+), that some sort of monetization plan IS in development.

#3637 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's just it... no such thing as a 'low cost way to take payments'
Too many people taking their cut. The payment processor, the credit card company, the service operator, etc. So someone has to take the hit for that.
Scorbit has been talking about doing such a thing for over a year, but hasn't come to market yet. Such a model is far too complex for Stern to do on their own, they really need to partner with someone who has experience in the space if they chose to go down that path.

IMO, they're taking the reverse path. Remember that the CEO is the guy who was in charge of Disney+ launch, if there's one thing Disney was expert at, it was leveraging their content to force customer hands. See what they did by withdrawing all content from all other streaming services, to make it available only on their own, create content which tie to the bigger picture of MCU, which is (somewhat) required to understand everything (ie watching "Dr Strange 2" without having seen WandaVision make little sense to the watcher), etc... The result: Disney+ grew customer base by 37%, up to 134 Millions subscriber as of end of 2021. Two years after launch. To give some perspective, Netflix has 221 Millions subscribers, and it was launched in 2009. Yes, you read it right. Granted, Internet and streaming was not as widespread as it is today, but that gives you an indication of how fast Disney+ was able to grow.

Back to Stern, in this instance, I bet that they will slowly create content, free, but accessible ONLY if you use insider connect. Start with leaderboard, but unlike Scorbit, they have access to the entire game repository and code. It could be more missions available for example vs player using coins to pay. Then when players are hooked, they can force their way to the entire value chain. Yes, everyone will get a cut, but the loser will be the operator, because that's him who's going to pay the bill.

Of course they can decide to not connect their machine, in a non competitive area (ie no other location around) that would work just fine, but if let's say across the road you have one who decided to bend and has his machines connected, that could draw players who got used to the benefits brought by IC, putting the first guy at a disadvantage.

Just my analysis, I could be wrong though, and in any case it will take a few years to materialize.

1 week later
#3732 1 year ago

Can someone remind me what is the capacity of the microSD card installed in the CPU board for IC ? Just want to test it in my Star Wars (I have a reader mounted in such a way it's easily removable - but the card is inside the other machine to which I don't have access to until September)

Thanks

1 month later
#4005 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

...so they can start charging subscription fees. Just kidding...kind of.

I for one am absolutely convinced this is their end goal. Or any type of reward in exchange of money (game content, etc). Or forcing operator to enable insider to bill games.

#4034 1 year ago

And this starts now....:

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/james-bond-007-pinball-deep-dive/

This little sentence: " Insider Connected players have access to Top Secret “Eyes Only” Assignments "

Guess how long it will take for this access to be "paid suscribers only"...

#4036 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Insider Connected only = not in tournament play
Insider Connected PAIDED only = NO HOPE of beeing in tournament play

OK, but personally, regardless of tournament play, given the price of a pinball machine, I would expect a full featured experienced, not having to add monthly premium to it...

#4038 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Like not having to buy a topper for an extra mode in AIQ?

Did not know about that topper story, but yes that would apply as well

2 weeks later
#4127 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

I am talking about having these sub accounts for home use only.
You are looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. The problem has already been solved two fold by Nintendo, Sony, and Xbox with their consoles and online platforms, and every one requires an account.
I made an account for my son on his Switch. He's 7 and doesn't know that the account is even tied to an email. He's setup as a child account on our family plan but he has a "real" account.
You could so easily just do this and your problem is solved, but for some reason you are choosing not to because you want some alternative solution that just doesn't make sense, especially since the problem is already solved.
Multiple people in this thread have given you some great suggestions on how to do this.
Once they are the Home Team, regardless how they get there, all they have to do is hold the left flipper and select their profile.

Well, using an email based account for a child is slightly problematic in countries where in theory, you can't create an email for account for anyone below a certain age. For example, can't create an account for anyone below 15 in France on Google (and I believe it's actually a legal requirement)

You can cheat, sure, and setup a false birth date, but then it introduces a whole set of new issues, specifically:
- You can't change the birth date of said account afterward. So you have to create a very specific account just for the purpose of cheating the birth date.
- At the majority date, Google will enable full access to their services. Since you cheated on the birth date, well... This means that your 10y old now have full Google access. Not good IMO

Nintendo solved it by creating a child account notion, as you point out, but it does not have to be tied to a dedicated email. It is controlled by a specific guardian account. They can from their app see their own achievements/etc, but these accounts are limited

So in my opinion the request is very valid, at least until there is a notion of a worldwide "legal identify e-card" which could be used to create account (and restrict/enable services per local government regulations). Email definitely is not such an identity e-card.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 229.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=Ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.