Screenshot_20220705-225627_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240303-160259 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-160308 (resized).png
IMG_7516 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Anony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1452 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

only because that's the way they've implemented registration - it's not the only way to do it. Does your Roku or FireTV have a QR scanner? No, these are all examples of models where the device talks to the cloud and uses a challenge model to associate the device to the user and help authorize the transaction.

Yeah it seemed weird to me to have the scanning hardware in the machine rather than offload it to our phone like every other product seems to do.

With golden tee you can log in with your credit card, your phone number, a game card or a unique ID given to you by the app. The hardware to do that is a lot cheaper than a camera which we all already own in our phone.

The Atgames legends vpin shows a QR code that you scan with your phone and it tells the machine to log you in. Seems like the cheaper route if we all have to use an app anyways.

#1455 2 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I wonder if Stern weighed out the pros and cons of all the different set ups and said 'Meh. Let's go with the worst, most expensive option.'
/s

It's not like this is the first arcade machine to do this kind of thing. What benefits can you think of that come from doing it this way rather than the other way around? The only thing I can think of is that more can be handled on the client side rather than relying on the server, but I'm not even sure that's true.

I can't think of any other systems that do it this way, almost all have some sort of card or ID for the user to use to log in.

#1457 2 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I partner with the local novelty gift shop down the street. When people come in to their store and buy a godzilla plushie, they get a QR code for Pokey's with it. The code is limited use to one free game, and each one is unique. They can visit that day, later in the week, or give it to their grandchild who they know wants to try out pinball. It could expire in a month or even a year.
They don't have to download anything, or even have a phone.
That's one of the things I hope I can do with this system.

Ok I can see where you're going with this. . Everyone has a phone but not everyone wants to download an app or log into a service. Not needing a phone with an app lowers the barrier to entry quite a bit

#1536 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s a forum where you can chat with the stern team about the game.
That’s worth 40 per year alone imo.

If they're actually active and attentive to the community this is totally worth it.

Quoted from scootss:

Now that these games are live at Expo, the list of achievements for the games is available.
Pick your game here: https://insider.sternpinball.com/insider/games then click on "all achievements"
Aerosmith as an example: https://insider.sternpinball.com/insider/games/115/achievements

Looks like you need to be logged in to see. Can anyone post the Iron Maiden achievements?

#1551 2 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

Creating an account is free, and is easier to read than this copy/paste below.
But here it is!

Thanks! I didn't think there would be that many. Looks like they have just about everything in there including life time ones you'd accumulate over several games. I like that a lot.

3 weeks later
#1753 2 years ago

I have an Iron Maiden pro. I had never looked closely at the extra mode the premium/LE had because I couldn't access it, but I assumed it was not on the pro because one of the premium mechanisms activated it.

So when I saw today that I could pay for Stern IC to get this mode on my pro I looked it up and turns out it has always been software lcoked, the mode is activated with a mechanism that is on both the pro and premium.

So now I can't decide if I should be annoyed that I have to pay for a mode or if I should be annoyed that the mode was always software locked in the first place. OR I could be positive and say that the cost of Stern IC is far less than the jump to premium so I should be happy I can access it now. (Although being in Canada that $200 becomes a lot more very quickly)

Anyways, rant over. I dislike the trend of locking things like modes behind paywalls that has taken over gaming, things like that should be left to free to play mobile trash, not something you spend so much on in the first place. I hope Stern doesn't get carried away or start a trend. A lot of companies do crappy thing just because the big company does it. See the cell phone market.

6 months later
#3096 1 year ago

Has Stern said anything about updating older games to work with Insider Connected? I imagine that is the plan eventually but I just picked up a Metallica and I think an update to make it support IC would convince me to buy some kits for my games.

#3098 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I'm guessing that won't happen -- the hardware just isn't there in older SAM games to be able to support it from what I understand.

That's too bad, I assumed it could all be handled by a software update but maybe not.

1 week later
#3129 1 year ago
Quoted from PinHead50:

How about an app.....

This confused the hell out of me. I spent 20 minutes at the bar the other day looking for the app on the play store, then went to the stern site to see if I could get it there. Finally realized there is no app and it's just a website with your QR code.

It would be cool if they did what Golden Tee does. They will send you a free card when you sign up for an account that you use to sign in. It would be cool if stern would send us a little QR code for our key ring. (although I can just 3d print one since they're easy enough to convert to STL)

#3152 1 year ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Same here. Works every time.
[quoted image]

Careful, there will be jerks who use this to mess with your account. Take the glass of and give you a score you can never beat or something lol

EDIT: I see you already addressed this. Doesn't look like you can delete posts so woops!

10 months later
#4891 11 months ago

Can anyone tell me how long of an ethernet cable I need to relocate the scanner to the coin door? Also is it just standard cat5 that I need?
Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9,699.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 3,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plattsburgh, NY
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Anony.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=Anony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.