B79FE22D-D333-43B1-BB88-007E1D6D9EC0_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
786BDDC7-FF68-4737-8EF1-4C19FA258F13 (resized).jpeg
stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 124.
#3701 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I don't understand why all of the other games had the cut out in the apron for the QR reader and not Star Wars. Why do owners of that game get punished for the poor planning of Stern? If you have a Star Wars machine and want a coin door mount, send me a picture of your game and I will give you free shipping on orders placed through Monday night.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount[quoted image]

That's really cool of you, many many thanks. I would have bought one of yours but my premium is on location and has a dollar bill acceptor in that slot (Center of the Universe in Ashland, VA!). I fabricated a project box that goes in the round hole stern uses for the volume control mod, but the Apron will look much cleaner. That said, if anybody is in the same position I'm in with the DBA in place you can have this part I made.

#3702 1 year ago

That's really cool of you, many, many thanks. I would have bought one of yours but my premium is on location and has a dollar bill acceptor in that slot (Center of the Universe in Ashland, VA!). I fabricated a project box that goes in the round hole stern uses for the volume control mod, but the Apron will look much cleaner. That said, if anybody is in the same position I'm in with the DBA in place you can have this part I made.

#3703 1 year ago

I did the scannerless setup on my SW Premium and it works great. Just scan in and play a game on one of my other IC games first. Your name can be picked from the list on SW. It’s great that this works. I hope Stern doesn’t disable it in the future for some reason.

The achievements and artwork is great on SW! Nice work Stern!

#3704 1 year ago

Anyone know if there is a way to reset or delete the achievements on a game? A friend of mine had an epic game logged in as me and it skewed my achievements.

#3705 1 year ago

I plugged in an old “Edimax” WiFi dongle I bought years ago for a raspberry pi project and it was recognized fine by my Deadpool. I don’t think the drivers are that picky for specific WiFi chipsets.

#3706 1 year ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Will a 32Gb micro sd card work?

Yes. Stern has said some games (Rush, possibly EHOH) require 32GB for the MicroSD because of their massive game code size.

#3707 1 year ago

+1 for this from @gotfrogs. I did this on my machine and it looks great.

Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I don't understand why all of the other games had the cut out in the apron for the QR reader and not Star Wars. Why do owners of that game get punished for the poor planning of Stern? If you have a Star Wars machine and want a coin door mount, send me a picture of your game and I will give you free shipping on orders placed through Monday night.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount[quoted image]

6D22E5EF-8BE7-446B-941E-70B77E7D902A (resized).jpeg6D22E5EF-8BE7-446B-941E-70B77E7D902A (resized).jpeg
#3708 1 year ago

The aprons are now available for SW Premium as well. Comes with an RJ45 splitter.

#3709 1 year ago

By taking the QR scanner out of Godzilla and plugging it in to IM, JP, and avengers I was able to get each game insider connected. With home team you can log in without the qr scanner. One QR scanner, four insider connected games.

I bought WiFi USB dongles and 16gig micro sd cards from microcenter. Cost like $15 and some time to register each game. With a long network cable you probably don't even have to remove the apron/qr scanner from the game being used to register games that do not have QR scanners.

#3710 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

This is where Stern put it on my factory build.
[quoted image]

Ugh, I just got a 1st run Beatles gold for my mom.
I want an online kit on it but don't want to mess up the apron art
and also it'll be going on location eventually and it will have a
bill acceptor on it so the bill acceptor area doesn't really help...

#3711 1 year ago

I only have two stern games but i applaud the hometeam update. Good choice catering more to home users.

#3712 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Ugh, I just got a 1st run Beatles gold for my mom.
I want an online kit on it but don't want to mess up the apron art
and also it'll be going on location eventually and it will have a
bill acceptor on it so the bill acceptor area doesn't really help...

Yeah and the red color is hideous with the Beatles color palette. I was going to move mine to the coin door but I haven’t been able to source the original apron art and Stern didn’t include it.

#3713 1 year ago

If you don't want to change the apron or coin door just do the setup without a QR scanner and login with the left flipper button. Once you get home team setup it works without the scanner connected.

#3714 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

By taking the QR scanner out of Godzilla and plugging it in to IM, JP, and avengers I was able to get each game insider connected. With home team you can log in without the qr scanner. One QR scanner, four insider connected games.
I bought WiFi USB dongles and 16gig micro sd cards from microcenter. Cost like $15 and some time to register each game. With a long network cable you probably don't even have to remove the apron/qr scanner from the game being used to register games that do not have QR scanners.

An alternative for the network cable is to get a RJ45 coupler and a second ethernet cable, it works great and is very handy! With it, you can keep the original cable on the game being used for its QR scanner. The only need is to open the coin door and unplug the QR scanner cable from the left node board and plug it in the RJ45 coupler. Then plug it into another machine with the second cable.

Coupler like this one does the job:
https://www.amazon.com/Coupler-Dingsun-Ethernet-Extender-100BASE-TX/dp/B071NVVB6M/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

#3715 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

An alternative for the network cable is to get a RJ45 coupler and a second ethernet cable, it works great and is very handy! With it, you can keep the original cable on the game being used for its QR scanner. The only need is to open the coin door and unplug the QR scanner cable from the left node board and plug it in the RJ45 coupler. Then plug it into another machine with the second cable.
Coupler like this one does the job:
amazon.com link »

I think I understand what you are getting at. With that coupler in line it just gives you an easier access point instead of fishing out the connector under the apron?

That might even be a good solution for the poster above that does not want mangle his Beatles apron. Just leave the QR scanner unplugged in the cabinet if you ever need to register a new account, plug it in to the easily accessed coupler port, register through the coin door opening, unplug scanner, then go back to login with the left flip button.

#3716 1 year ago

Has anyone been able to find a RJ45 scanner that Stern uses. I bet they are out there somewhere.

#3717 1 year ago

My assumption is the board attached to it is proprietary, like other node boards. But who knows! I'm no engineer.

#3718 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

Has anyone been able to find a RJ45 scanner that Stern uses. I bet they are out there somewhere.

The QR reader alone isn't the problem - this is a OTS component and linked in this very thread.

The problem is the scanner is a combination of a QR Reader+ Stern Node board... which is not OTS.

#3719 1 year ago

Thanks for the info! I didn’t realize the TJ45 part of the scanner was a stern part

Quoted from flynnibus:

The QR reader alone isn't the problem - this is a OTS component and linked in this very thread.
The problem is the scanner is a combination of a QR Reader+ Stern Node board... which is not OTS.

#3720 1 year ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

The assembly is custom to Stern. You are not going to find it through other sources. You can get just the camera but that is not going to get you any closer to sourcing the assembly on your own.

#3721 1 year ago

Stuck a 32gb micro sd card in my game, at boot up it was detected and is being formatted. Two hours later, still formatting. Jeez how long does this take?!

#3722 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

Stuck a 32gb micro sd card in my game, at boot up it was detected and is being formatted. Two hours later, still formatting. Jeez how long does this take?!

should not take that long. i would say 1-2 minutes

#3723 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

I've done this with multiple machines, I'd say 30s at most.

#3724 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

I had the same problem. I put the card in a card reader on my laptop and tried to format it there and got an error that the last block of the card was not readable. Funny thing is the card works in a USB adapter, just not with the direct card connection.

I’m chalking it up to a bad card or an incompatible brand of card. Other cards/brands worked perfectly.

#3725 1 year ago

i had one take a few minutes, maybe 5

#3726 1 year ago

MicroCenter had house brand 16gb microsd cards for super cheap and they worked fine in all four games.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/644256/micro-center-16gb-microsdhc-card-class-10-flash-memory-card-with-adapter-2-pack

Before I saw this thread and realized the game would format the microsd for you, I was figuring this out on my own and thought I had to clone the SD card in a game with a scanner. In doing the cloning I did find out you can take microsd card out of Godzilla and put it in another game and it works directly without formatting.

#3727 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

MicroCenter had house brand 16gb microsd cards for super cheap and they worked fine in all four games.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/644256/micro-center-16gb-microsdhc-card-class-10-flash-memory-card-with-adapter-2-pack
Before I saw this thread and realized the game would format the microsd for you, I was figuring this out on my own and thought I had to clone the SD card in a game with a scanner. In doing the cloning I did find out you can take microsd card out of Godzilla and put it in another game and it works directly without formatting.

You can get a single one for $3.79 too.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486146/micro-center-16gb-microsdhc-card-class-10-flash-memory-card-with-adapter

And I mentioned this before, but the $9.99 wifi usb adapter works perfectly fine too.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/395710/tp-link-tl-wn725n-150mbps-wireless-n-nano-usb-adapter

I am using both of these in my JP that doesn't even have a QR reader installed and Home Team is working just fine.

#3728 1 year ago

On a machien without the IC scanner installed, is there anyway to log in with hometeam after a game is started, or if P1 has started ball 1 and another player hits the start button to join? I tried holding the left flipper, but I just get the instant status displays.

#3729 1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback!! Tried a second one of the same brand of the first one that didn't work - Lexar - and it didn't work either! Then I switched to a Sandisk and that worked fine. The lexar ones work in every other device I've tried though, seems like the Spike cpu is pretty picky?

#3730 1 year ago

The microsd cards that are working for me say they are marked as "SDHC Class 10". The lower class cards may not be fast enough or not compatible in some way.

If it's hanging on formatting you could try deleting all the partitions in widows / diskpart before sticking it in the game.

There is weird compatibility issues with some usb sticks in some devices. I have a bunch of random USB sticks collected over the years and had to try a couple different ones before I found one compatible with color dmd. I'm sure it's similar to SD cards.

#3731 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

On a machien without the IC scanner installed, is there anyway to log in with hometeam after a game is started, or if P1 has started ball 1 and another player hits the start button to join? I tried holding the left flipper, but I just get the instant status displays.

I don't think so, I tried this the other day, my friend (i had added him to home team), started a game, i hit the start button to add a player during his 1st ball, on my first ball the only way i was able to login was by scanning my QR code.

#3732 1 year ago

Can someone remind me what is the capacity of the microSD card installed in the CPU board for IC ? Just want to test it in my Star Wars (I have a reader mounted in such a way it's easily removable - but the card is inside the other machine to which I don't have access to until September)

Thanks

#3733 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Can someone remind me what is the capacity of the microSD card installed in the CPU board for IC ? Just want to test it in my Star Wars (I have a reader mounted in such a way it's easily removable - but the card is inside the other machine to which I don't have access to until September)
Thanks

16g or bigger. We suspect Class 10 card or better.

#3734 1 year ago

Is the wifi dongle that comes with the IC kit just kinda shotty?

When I turn on GZ it doesn't recognize my wifi for quite a bit, then after I played one game last night, it wasn't connected again and wouldn't connect unless I reset the machine.

I have quite a few things connect to wifi down here that don't have any issues, and they are all connected to a 2.4ghz wifi access point that is literally like directly above the pin, on the floor above in my kitchen. Probably like 10 feet through the ceiling.

I haven't played my JP since I setup Home Team in there though to see how that one connects. It has some microcenter dongle that worked fine to set it up initially.

#3735 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Is the wifi dongle that comes with the IC kit just kinda shotty?
When I turn on GZ it doesn't recognize my wifi for quite a bit, then after I played one game last night, it wasn't connected again and wouldn't connect unless I reset the machine.
I have quite a few things connect to wifi down here that don't have any issues, and they are all connected to a 2.4ghz wifi access point that is literally like directly above the pin, on the floor above in my kitchen. Probably like 10 feet through the ceiling.
I haven't played my JP since I setup Home Team in there though to see how that one connects. It has some microcenter dongle that worked fine to set it up initially.

All USB dongles like this are quite limited in their antenna space and therefore antenna performance. Couple that with the fact that the backbox is a 3 sided metal box that RF signals can't penetrate very easily, you can end up with really poor performance.

You can try placing the WiFi dongle on the end of a 1M USB extension cable and routing it out of the backbox through the topper access hole in the top of the backbox. I cut the WIFI upgrade time from over 3 hours to just under 1 hour with this simple change.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female Extender Cord - 3 .3 Feet (2 Pack), Black https://a.co/d/7IewHKA

#3736 1 year ago

or just run ethernet if you can

#3737 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

All USB dongles like this are quite limited in their antenna space and therefore antenna performance. Couple that with the fact that the backbox is a 3 sided metal box that RF signals can't penetrate very easily, you can end up with really poor performance.
You can try placing the WiFi dongle on the end of a 1M USB extension cable and routing it out of the backbox through the topper access hole in the top of the backbox. I cut the WIFI upgrade time from over 3 hours to just under 1 hour with this simple change.
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female Extender Cord - 3 .3 Feet (2 Pack), Black https://a.co/d/7IewHKA

Thanks, just ordered that 2 pack!

#3738 1 year ago

It's interesting to see how many operators have games with working SIC units on route but don't have SIC Professional accounts. SIC Professional accounts don't even cost anything yet, do they?

#3739 1 year ago

I used this brand of 32g cards in SW and it works perfectly.

TOPESEL 32GB Micro SD Card 2 Pack Memory Cards Micro SDHC UHS-I TF Card Class 10 for Camera/Drone/Dash Cam(2 Pack U1 32GB) https://a.co/d/4HuSejr

#3740 1 year ago

So, if I’m reading this right - looks like local leaderboards are only available to pro IC accounts? Has anyone figured out a way to get a leaderboard going at home? I definitely don’t want to go pro for this feature - but it looks so cool!

#3741 1 year ago

The home leaderboard is just resetting the HSTD

#3742 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I've said it before, but I wish Stern did like JJP and had a daily high score (at least as an option). You reading this, Gary?

#3743 1 year ago
Quoted from BWelch:

Has anyone figured out a way to get a leaderboard going at home?

Matchplay.events is the easiest way. It does require input, not automatic like IC.

#3744 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

sure but you could do one with everyone on the "home team"

#3745 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That’s not what people are asking for.

#3746 1 year ago
Quoted from Palmer:

That’s not what people are asking for.

Indeed - there’s some cool output on an external monitor with the leaderboards…

#3747 1 year ago

So I am trying to add a usb Wi-Fi adapter and none of my machines will detect it. Is there something wrong with this one? Tp-link AC600 nano wireless USB adapter.

8EFEA145-C0CA-42BD-9420-B6D20DE2C128 (resized).png8EFEA145-C0CA-42BD-9420-B6D20DE2C128 (resized).png
#3748 1 year ago
Quoted from drwicket:

So I am trying to add a usb Wi-Fi adapter and none of my machines will detect it. Is there something wrong with this one? Tp-link AC600 nano wireless USB adapter.[quoted image]

You may have to wiggle it while on the connection screen. My BKSOR wouldn't detect the usb wifi adapter, but while repositioning it while on that screen, it found it and started detecting networks.

#3749 1 year ago

I’ve tried 3 different ones as I ordered 3 of them. Reset adapter dozens of times. Tried both ports. Wiggled them. Reset the machines. Done everything and it won’t detect them. Hook up to my pc and they all work just fine.

#3750 1 year ago

I go to reset the Wi-Fi adapter and it won’t detect it then just goes to the about screen and says it’s a wired connection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 210.00
$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 0.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 124.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.