B79FE22D-D333-43B1-BB88-007E1D6D9EC0_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
786BDDC7-FF68-4737-8EF1-4C19FA258F13 (resized).jpeg
stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 124.
#3551 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Ok, so if Home Team doesn't require you to scan the code, can you you just add the wifi adapter yourself to get the connected features? The WiFi adapter they are including in the kit is $22 at Amazon. I can't see a reason to need anything more than that for home use. The scanner is irrelevant and doesn't warrant the $200 price tag (at least not for me).

So, can someone from Stern comment about whether I can do that? I will plan to watch the video they sent to see if they say anything...

EDIT: Since it looks like it needs to enroll you once with the scanner, guessing it would still be required. Seems like they could just do it by letting you enter your login credentials when setting it up the first time...

Or they could let you do all the association stuff in the app. I might try borrowing a scanner to register all my games and see if that will work as a work around for me.

#3552 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Unless things have changed, pretty sure insider connected doesn't work on a machine unless the MPU can see the scanner and its associated node board.

Yup, scanner seems integrated to the whole process...

Pass on a $200 upgrade...

#3553 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Stern Pinball takes the safety of our customer’s data seriously. Stern works with both legal and security organizations to vet all aspects of Insider Connected for legal compliance and best practices worldwide. As part of this effort, our new machine updates will notify users if any third party code modifications are identified that may put data at risk.

This could get annoying if it notifies you every power cycle that you're running the same 3rd party code. I hope they implemented it so it notifies you the first time it's detected, stores the checksum, then notifies you again if it changes.

#3554 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Stern Pinball takes the safety of our customer’s data seriously. Stern works with both legal and security organizations to vet all aspects of Insider Connected for legal compliance and best practices worldwide. As part of this effort, our new machine updates will notify users if any third party code modifications are identified that may put data at risk.

So can we get monthly or faster OS updates?
best practices worldwide are not really let games sit with old OS level code for an long time online.

#3555 1 year ago

Really wish people would explain things more than expect us to sit thru videos all the time.

Just transcribe video job done.

#3556 1 year ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

What the heck is Home Team? They released that but really did not explain that in email.

There’s a video online that explains. Lets you save insider profiles so you don’t have to scan your QR at home. You just hold left flipper button and users appear.

#3557 1 year ago

What the heck is Home Team? They released that but really did not explain that in email.

Lets you log in automatically to a home-use machine you own.

#3558 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

This could get annoying if it notifies you every power cycle that you're running the same 3rd party code. I hope they implemented it so it notifies you the first time it's detected, stores the checksum, then notifies you again if it changes.

It's just part of their ongoing fight against Scorbit. They've been trying really hard to block it in each update for a while now...

#3559 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Ok, so if Home Team doesn't require you to scan the code, can you you just add the wifi adapter yourself to get the connected features? The WiFi adapter they are including in the kit is $22 at Amazon. I can't see a reason to need anything more than that for home use. The scanner is irrelevant and doesn't warrant the $200 price tag (at least not for me).
So, can someone from Stern comment about whether I can do that? I will plan to watch the video they sent to see if they say anything...
EDIT: Since it looks like it needs to enroll you once with the scanner, guessing it would still be required. Seems like they could just do it by letting you enter your login credentials when setting it up the first time...

Doesn’t change the insider connected requirements or hardware. Just new functionality

#3560 1 year ago

Other than taking forever to update, the new home team works really well. Much better than having to use the scanner every time.

#3561 1 year ago

"Award winning" Wait, they actually got an award at some point for insider connected?

#3562 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

Other than taking forever to update, the new home team works really well. Much better than having to use the scanner every time.

It would be much better if you didn't need the QR reader at all. It is clearly an unnecessary requirement, primarily in the home environment.

#3563 1 year ago

So could you use a scanner once to get set up at home or is all of the IC function blocked at power on if the scanner node board is not found?

#3564 1 year ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

"Award winning" Wait, they actually got an award at some point for insider connected?

INSIDER CONNECTED™ FROM STERN PINBALL EARNS AMOA INNOVATOR AWARD

#3565 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

So could you use a scanner once to get set up at home or is all of the IC function blocked at power on if the scanner node board is not found?

Don’t you think they would have been promoting wide adoption if they took away the hardware requirements?

#3566 1 year ago

3 games updated. Set up home team on first. Was surprised once I enabled it on games 2 and 3 the users showed up right away! We beat Stern up a bit in this thread so just wanted to throw some kudos out there.

Also +1 for actual new GZ code.

#3567 1 year ago

Started updating the Stern Lineup today...

FD453211-A874-4F7E-AD2B-E41E9393AD3E (resized).JPGFD453211-A874-4F7E-AD2B-E41E9393AD3E (resized).JPG
#3568 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

It's a big quality of life improvement in that you don't have to be looking for your phone everytime you want to play pinball to log in. Really nice change!

#3569 1 year ago

Sounds like this won't work based on recent posts, but can someone who has IC give a try where they log into the Home Team thing, verify they are logging in automatically, turn off the pin, unplug the IC node board, turn it on and verify that the Home Team thing does or does not work?

Again, all signs point to it won't work like that since it won't find the IC integration boards, but figured it would be helpful if someone can actually verify this.

But if it does work, then I'd go a different route than hooking up a switch to my GZ so that I can get JP on IC.

EDIT:

And I can't test this yet because my GZ arrives tomorrow, else I'd give it a try myself.

#3570 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Stern Pinball takes the safety of our customer’s data seriously. Stern works with both legal and security organizations to vet all aspects of Insider Connected for legal compliance and best practices worldwide. As part of this effort, our new machine updates will notify users if any third party code modifications are identified that may put data at risk/

So I tried to install some modded code to my IMDN and to my AIQ.

The code works, but when you try to log into SIC you get this - it will not let you login.

IMG_8914 (resized).JPGIMG_8914 (resized).JPG

so modded code or SIC - you choose!

#3571 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Sounds like this won't work based on recent posts, but can someone who has IC give a try where they log into the Home Team thing, verify they are logging in automatically, turn off the pin, unplug the IC node board, turn it on and verify that the Home Team thing does or does not work?
Again, all signs point to it won't work like that since it won't find the IC integration boards, but figured it would be helpful if someone can actually verify this.
But if it does work, then I'd go a different route than hooking up a switch to my GZ so that I can get JP on IC.
EDIT:
And I can't test this yet because my GZ arrives tomorrow, else I'd give it a try myself.

Yes it works, you don't need a scanner on them when you've got the home team enabled.

#3572 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The code works, but when you try to log into SIC you get this:
[quoted image]

Guess that means, if I ever get myself a Guardians, it'll be offline only, cuz I can't stand the stock voicework. Ick.

#3573 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

yes this works.

#3574 1 year ago

I have a feeling that top men [] will be working on fixing it though.

#3575 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yes it works, you don't need a scanner on theme when you've got the home team enabled.

Okay awesome thanks!

However if I have friends come over and they want to create an account, I'm assuming I would need a scanner added in order to get a new user added to the Home Team feature?

Or can you add people without the scanner somehow?

#3576 1 year ago

Thank you, Stern, for the QR code in Apple Wallet (although I've already got it on my watch) and for Home Team!

Now that we've got Home Team...

I won't be so bold as to ask for it to work without the IC node board and scanner hardware but...

How about an option in the Service Menu for us to TURN OFF the scanner (the bright light that so many have gone out of their way to relocate) when we're not in the process of adding more players to Home Team?

I've got but two players in my household, and I won't be needing to add any others. Not on a regular basis, anyway.

#3577 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I have a feeling that top men [] will be working on fixing it though.

So you're saying you can take a game with just wifi and a SD card, power on, and log in with home team.. as long as home team was setup in this location elsewhere?

#3578 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So you're saying you can take a game with just wifi and a SD card, power on, and log in with home team.. as long as home team was setup in this location elsewhere?

yes pretty much spot on.

You need a reader just to enable IC.

So you have ten games and one IC kit. You buy 9 USB dongles and 9 micro SD cards.

You setup first game and scan all your QR codes and enable them as home.

you then add the USB dongles and memory sticks and then use the one reader you have to connect each game to SIC - you have to move the reader to each game to connect the games to SIC.

then you are good to go. you have 9 games all with IC and home you can login to. You use the one game with the reader to add people in and out.

#3579 1 year ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Thank you, Stern, for the QR code in Apple Wallet (although I've already got it on my watch) and for Home Team!
Now that we've got Home Team...
I won't be so bold as to ask for it to work without the IC node board and scanner hardware but...
How about an option in the Service Menu for us to TURN OFF the scanner (the bright light that so many have gone out of their way to relocate) when we're not in the process of adding more players to Home Team?
I've got but two players in my household, and I won't be needing to add any others. Not on a regular basis, anyway.

just disconnect it - it will be fine without it.

#3580 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

you have 9 games all with IC and home you can login to. You use the one game with the reader to add people in and out.

I'm with you re: top men. Stern will be fixing this hole in 3... 2... 1...

#3581 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

just disconnect it - it will be fine without it.

Okay to disconnect just the scanner? Or better to disconnect the node board?

#3582 1 year ago

I'm with you re: top men. Stern will be fixing this hole in 3... 2... 1...

maybe, but I doubt it. The readers are very unreliable, I've had three fail, if a reader dies operators can still make money on the game. So I doubt stern will want hardwire them otherwise lots of games Out of Order.

#3583 1 year ago

Okay to disconnect just the scanner? Or better to disconnect the node board?

either disconnect the cat 5 ethernet cable at the node board or at the scanner. I'd do it at the node board as its easier to access.

#3584 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Okay awesome thanks!
However if I have friends come over and they want to create an account, I'm assuming I would need a scanner added in order to get a new user added to the Home Team feature?
Or can you add people without the scanner somehow?

I think guests are machine specific since they reset on power cycle. You could add them as part of your home team on the machine with scanner and then delete when they leave.

#3585 1 year ago
Quoted from JSC:

I think guests are machine specific since they reset on power cycle. You could add them as part of your home team on the machine with scanner and then delete when they leave.

Or if you have frequent visitors, just make them part of the home team if you have room.

#3586 1 year ago

Really wish people would explain things more than expect us to sit thru videos all the time.
Just transcribe video job done.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Insider-Connected-Home-Team-Set-up-Guide.pdf

#3587 1 year ago

Home Team Video Tutorial:

#3588 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Home Team Video Tutorial:

In this video, it doesn't even look like the Beatles game has IC installed on the apron and they install Home Team on there, unless it just looks different on the Beatles. But I didn't see any square QR reader on the apron.

So this means that you can install it on other games you have (that support IC) without ever having to hook up a scanner to it?

#3589 1 year ago

Just hooked up a game on connect and it's pretty cool.

#3590 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

In this video, it doesn't even look like the Beatles game has IC installed on the apron...

I see something that looks like it on the right apron

JDactingwasreallysomethingelsefriends (resized).jpgJDactingwasreallysomethingelsefriends (resized).jpg
#3591 1 year ago

Everybody running leaderboards make sure to take a snapshot of the list before updating.

#3592 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I see something that looks like it on the right apron[quoted image]

Okay you are probably correct. I'm not familiar with that game but the placement of that looks a bit lower/right than the IC's I've seen on other machines. It could also just be the angle. Looking at a pic of the playfield from the top, it doesn't have that light so you are probably correct.

If you look at the standard IC on Rush, it looks rectangle in the "normal" place.

https://i.imgur.com/sVsRL0M.png

The Beatles just looks different - looks like it's round or not rectangular and in a different spot, and it's not the standard red IC cover on the apron. I've never seen it on Beatles though so not sure.

https://i.imgur.com/Ev8ltSj.jpg

#3593 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The code works, but when you try to log into SIC you get this - it will not let you login.
[quoted image]

I am honestly surprised they didn't already check for modded code.

#3594 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Okay you are probably correct. I'm not familiar with that game but the placement of that looks a bit lower/right than the IC's I've seen on other machines. It could also just be the angle. Looking at a pic of the playfield from the top, it doesn't have that light so you are probably correct.

This is where Stern put it on my factory build.

50A9CAAA-27E8-4D55-9632-B298467C6697 (resized).jpeg50A9CAAA-27E8-4D55-9632-B298467C6697 (resized).jpeg
#3595 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

[quoted image]

Ahhh sneaky left side.

#3596 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

[quoted image]

Ooooh okay thanks for clarifying. I just assumed they were all in the same spot, so n/m on my original post!

#3597 1 year ago

You can also clearly see the IC on the left side in the video.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.18.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.18.52 PM (resized).png
#3598 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yes pretty much spot on.
You need a reader just to enable IC.
So you have ten games and one IC kit. You buy 9 USB dongles and 9 micro SD cards.
You setup first game and scan all your QR codes and enable them as home.
you then add the USB dongles and memory sticks and then use the one reader you have to connect each game to SIC - you have to move the reader to each game to connect the games to SIC.
then you are good to go. you have 9 games all with IC and home you can login to. You use the one game with the reader to add people in and out.

I'm aware of the prior switching model... the point here is if you can complete the home team selection on a game after powerup, that HASN'T had the reader connected.

Presumably you still have the challenge that IC can't be setup at first without a reader
You still need to setup home team for your location on a game with a reader...
but trying to clarify if the game will boot, and allow home team use WITHOUT switching the QR reader (via switch) to the game after power up.

Because doing so would negate the need for your switcher entirely once a game has been setup on IC for the first time. That would be a significant change.

#3599 1 year ago

Happy to see the 'add to wallet' feature - Low hanging fruit that was sorely needed. Glad to see it in place.

The Home Team feature seems pretty well thought out and looks promising. I think (as we obviously saw) it continues the challenge of 'why do I need a reader on each game' points.. and why this can't be setup simply in the web UI... but it seems pretty decent. Tho the sins of their lack of consistency in settings looks to be rearing its head.

Activity tracking continues to be poor though.. I can't figure out what their methodology is and why it's so inconsistent. I played for over 2hrs last night on deadpool... and the activity tracking has my achievements, my high score, but 1 play registered. I gave up on operator play counts and stats long ago.

#3600 1 year ago

Started updating the Stern Lineup today...
[quoted image]

Nice setup you got there- where you get your stools?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 124.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/72?hl=cabal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.