Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,281 posts
  • 491 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by bghenson23
  • Topic is favorited by 218 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26DBD92E-474E-4450-A326-5B9102EE63A6 (resized).jpeg
    20220208_014539 (resized).jpg
    plastic (resized).JPG
    64FA68D8-AA7F-4206-84B3-125EAFB791D8 (resized).jpeg
    onn_device (resized).jpg
    54d4056de0f97_-_omar-code.gif
    PXL_20220623_142016463.MP (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220620_160110110 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220620_160054341 (resized).jpg
    WatchBall (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    stern-ic-ui (resized).png
    CA0AD577-F50C-42AB-A621-2100A7147A18 (resized).png
    7C20E0F2-96BC-4989-87AD-F797F450F461 (resized).jpeg
    4405CAD9-6CA0-40A8-B830-04A2F90C8953 (resized).jpeg
    F9AEAF2C-C4B3-4A2F-99B2-4094A40610E3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 66.
    #3051 41 days ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

Anyone have there original and warranty replacement IC light go out? Both lived for a short period, then started to fade, and finally the light failed. Wondering if maybe something is causing the lights to fail? Don't know what that would be though.

I am sure Stern would have an answer for you, eventually.

#3052 41 days ago

I just successfully installed IC on my Elvira LE. I now want to get my Batman LE online but there is no place on the apron. It's right next to Elvira. I read on how to share one machines IC but still not 100% clear on how to do it. Is there clearer instructions available?

Thanks Martin

#3053 41 days ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

I just successfully installed IC on my Elvira LE. I now want to get my Batman LE online but there is no place on the apron. It's right next to Elvira. I read on how to share one machines IC but still not 100% clear on how to do it. Is there clearer instructions available?
    Thanks Martin

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-share-stern-ic-reader-with-other-games/

#3054 40 days ago

What is the best option to route the wire outside of the cab if I go wired and have a topper? Bottom cab back grill?

#3055 40 days ago
    Quoted from Bagdad:

What is the best option to route the wire outside of the cab if I go wired and have a topper? Bottom cab back grill?

To me the bottom is the better choice whether you have a topper or not. Just pry out a couple of staples from the screen that covers the holes and you can snake the cable out the bottom.

#3056 40 days ago

My insider connected pro kit arrived yesterday and I went through the set up process.

Sadly I'm stuck at the "User address verification failed" error when trying to complete registration.

stern_address_verification_error_2 (resized).png

I contacted Stern who got back to me over night saying that Insider Connected is having issues with registartion for addresses outside the US at the moment. So not much I can do other than wait and hope they get it resolved quickly.

I don't understand the need for address verification when the game is being registered directly to my insider connected account. It would make sense if I'm a location/venue and want to have "verified" achievements - then I can understand there would be a few extra hoops to jump through to ensure only machines registered to verified locations can support the feature. But for someone like myself who only has my games at home, address verification seems unessessary to me.

#3057 40 days ago
    Quoted from Bagdad:

I like my option (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/61#post-6930698) but you have to know how to make your own Ethernet cables.

#3058 40 days ago
    Quoted from Jesder:

My insider connected pro kit arrived yesterday and I went through the set up process.
    Sadly I'm stuck at the "User address verification failed" error when trying to complete registration.
    [quoted image]
    I contacted Stern who got back to me over night saying that Insider Connected is having issues with registartion for addresses outside the US at the moment. So not much I can do other than wait and hope they get it resolved quickly.
    I don't understand the need for address verification when the game is being registered directly to my insider connected account. It would make sense if I'm a location/venue and want to have "verified" achievements - then I can understand there would be a few extra hoops to jump through to ensure only machines registered to verified locations can support the feature. But for someone like myself who only has my games at home, address verification seems unessessary to me.

If I was in your shoes, I would temporarily use an American address in my account and use that for IC's verification. For example, use Stern's address. I don't think they would mind if you borrowed their address until they fix the problem with foreign addresses.

#3059 39 days ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

If I was in your shoes, I would temporarily use an American address in my account and use that for IC's verification. For example, use Stern's address. I don't think they would mind if you borrowed their address until they fix the problem with foreign addresses.

no use 1060 w addison chicago il

#3060 39 days ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I actually made my own cable so I could put the untermminated cable through the vent hole. Finally one of my old IT skills paid off directly for pinball! Lol
    If you know an old time sysadmin who has done this work and has the tools, it takes like 5 minutes. [quoted image]

Nice! I have a crimper for cable TV wiring, but not for Ethernet. I heard that homemade cables aren't as good as commercially-bought cables anymore (it's hard to get the twisted pairs to be twisted enough near the connectors), but for the fairly low-speed application of a Stern pinball machine, it should be OK.

I'll look into this, or perhaps using the topper hole (I didn't know it existed, at the top of the backbox, hopefully it's a removable and replaceable plug), if a second Stern Insider machine comes into the location. The travel router I have can support two wired Ethernet clients at once (or I could just get a cheap hub/switch for more games).

As for network security, it's fine. The network at this site also has really good security, no unauthorized wireless access points are allowed. I'm fine, though, my travel router isn't a repeater or access point, it's merely a Wi-Fi client. From the network's point of view, it looks just like any other Wi-Fi client.

#3061 39 days ago
    Quoted from Jesder:

[quoted image]

I'm in the USA, but had the same issue. Eventually, I tried a PO Box that I have.

I opened a ticket on Stern's Zendesk site, and they got back to me. They said they were having a few problems on their end, and it might take several days to validate. Interestingly, the address field I now have in my Stern Insider account is now completely empty, according to the website. I asked about this, and they said it's normal (shrug). Don't change it, unless you intend to change your address, as that will reset the verification procedure and it might not work anymore.

Happily, now, it works! I returned to the game when I could, and it immediately jumped onto the Stern Insider network and was happy, the first time. So, that's good. I completed the registration process on the app, without further incident, and the game is now happy. It recognizes me (and other players) and awards achievements.

#3062 39 days ago

Overnight I received another email saying they had reset my address. When I went to register the game this morning, I was given a form to complete (as you can see from the screenshot in my previous post, I had no address form to fill in). Once I filled that in, the address was fine.

My game is now registered & I've earned my first few achievements

One thing I did find though was my first two games both had the machine lock up on ball one. I have read people reporting their machine crashing/freezing with insider connected enabled. So will need to look into what's going on there. For now I swapped the wireless dongle into the second USB port, which allowed me to play a third game without a freeze. Not sure if that's the solution though.

#3063 37 days ago
    Quoted from Krellan:

Is there an opening, in the back of the game, to get the wired Ethernet cable through? I looked around. Unfortunately, it's solid metal back there. The ventilation holes at the top appear too small to get a cable through (unlike the old Williams backboxes, which had wider holes).

I just went through the vents at the bottom of the game. There's a mesh piece stapled on there, but that's easy enough to bend back. Topper hole is also an option.

#3064 37 days ago

Zip tie the cables in the bottom of the cabinet and/or leave an extra few feet spooled up in there just in case a dog, vacuum or something snags the cable. That way it won't rip out of the board and damage anything. Even moving the game out from the wall sometimes can snag wires and pull them banjo tight.

#3065 37 days ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Zip tie the cables in the bottom of the cabinet and/or leave an extra few feet spooled up in there just in case a dog, vacuum or something snags the cable. That way it won't rip out of the board and damage anything. Even moving the game out from the wall sometimes can snag wires and pull them banjo tight.

That's a great point!

#3066 36 days ago

Finally received 1 (of 2) of my QR replacements. Popped it into Mando and now everything works!

Hoping to get the others soon.

#3067 36 days ago

Listening to the George Gomez interview, he mentioned they are working on new features for IC, one of them being a "Home Team" feature, where you wouldnt have to login everytime, like you could save usernames. If this is the case, this may be good news for people with games that didnt come with IC originally.

Say you have one game with IC and 2 games without...instead of spending $200 to install IC on the games without, you can run a cable and share the reader to login with your username on the games without just one time, then save it. All you would need to purchase then on the games without readers would be a wifi dongle and an SD card and you are good to go.

Just a thought...

#3068 36 days ago

Has anyone noticed the light flickering on their QR reader?
    It still works okay, but is kind of annoying
    Kinda like LED’s flickering on the playfield
    Any tips to fix
    Thx

#3069 36 days ago
    Quoted from Hawks:

Has anyone noticed the light flickering on their QR reader?
    It still works okay, but is kind of annoying
    Kinda like LED’s flickering on the playfield
    Any tips to fix
    Thx

Submit a warranty ticket - that’s what I had to do for my Godzilla reader. Sometimes the light is off completely, sometimes it’s fine, most of the time it flickers.

#3070 36 days ago
    Quoted from Bluthgg:

Submit a warranty ticket - that’s what I had to do for my Godzilla reader. Sometimes the light is off completely, sometimes it’s fine, most of the time it flickers.

I have had two replaced for the same issue. They are bleeding money from this, based on the number of people that have issues.

#3071 36 days ago
    Quoted from Bluthgg:

Is the light meant to stay on all the time?

#3072 35 days ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Is the light meant to stay on all the time?

yes they are meant to be on all the time.

I've got one where its off but still scans, and another where it flickers but scans nothing got both via Cointaker and reported to stern and they have logged the failure and will send them out - I guess they have a backlog.

Also had two of the StarTech USB sticks kick the bucket but I have few spare.

#3073 35 days ago

Have an issue I'm wondering if anyone else has come across. Im trying to connect my Rush to the wifi at a location, but the wifi is setup as a free public network (i.e. no password).

No matter what I do at the wifi password screen on Rush, it won't join this network. But if I hotspot on my mobile it can connect via that, so the network wifi adaptor is definitely working.

How can I connect to a wifi network that doesnt have a password? Ive tried leaving blank, or zeros...nothing works.

#3074 35 days ago
    Quoted from HighTower:

Have an issue I'm wondering if anyone else has come across. Im trying to connect my Rush to the wifi at a location, but the wifi is setup as a free public network (i.e. no password).
    No matter what I do at the wifi password screen on Rush, it won't join this network. But if I hotspot on my mobile it can connect via that, so the network wifi adaptor is definitely working.
    How can I connect to a wifi network that doesnt have a password? Ive tried leaving blank, or zeros...nothing works.

I had this issue as well. Unfortunately you can’t connect it to an open network, it has to have a password on it for it to work.

#3075 35 days ago
    Quoted from HighTower:

I think there was talk earlier about buying a travel adapter- One that you can plug in to the wired IC Rj45 that then connects to the unsecured WiFi.

Edit: there was talk about using a Wi-Fi repeater also: start here….

Quoted from TrixTrix:

Only WPA/WPA2 connections are support for security reasons. WEP and open networks are not supported. If you require connecting to WEP or and open network, you can use a WiFi repeater which connects to the WEP/open network and provides a WPA AP for the pinball machines.
    Additionally, you could have the WiFi repeater connect to a 5GHz network and then connect the repeater to the pinball via Ethernet for a faster connection.

#3076 35 days ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yes they are meant to be on all the time.
    I've got one where its off but still scans, and another where it flickers but scans nothing got both via Cointaker and reported to stern and they have logged the failure and will send them out - I guess they have a backlog.
    Also had two of the StarTech USB sticks kick the bucket but I have few spare.

Thanks very much, appreciate the info. I will contact our distro today.

#3077 34 days ago
    Quoted from Bagdad:

The Easiest may not be the Best. The easiest is to lift a few staples from one of the bottom cabinet air holes and shove the cable through. I preferred using a real LAN jack on the back of the cabinet. Or you can do the same on the cabinet bottom if preferred. Yes, it takes a few dollars and more time but the final install is clean and conveniently functional.
    Of course YMMV.

Cabinet LAN Jack-sm (resized).jpg
    #3078 34 days ago
    Quoted from TeeJayN:

The Easiest may not be the Best. The easiest is to lift a few staples from one of the bottom cabinet air holes and shove the cable through. I preferred using a real LAN jack on the back of the cabinet. Or you can do the same on the cabinet bottom if preferred. Yes, it takes a few dollars and more time but the final install is clean and conveniently functional.
    Of course YMMV.[quoted image]

Love it! What part is that and how did you male the hole in the cabinet for it?

#3079 33 days ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Love it! What part is that and how did you male the hole in the cabinet for it?

Since I had multiple pins to modify, I bought a pack of 5 of these Female to Female RJ45 Ethernet connectors from Amazon:
    amazon.com link »
    They are Black not Gray as shown. The cabinet drill bit needed was a 15/16". For a smoother hole I used a Forstner drill bit but any sharp drill bit should work. To secure the connector to the cabinet I used some extra screws I had lying around. Internally I used a 10 ft Ethernet cable. 10 ft so I could route the cable the same as the existing head to cabinet cables to allow for a smooth backbox fold down.

#3080 30 days ago

For NIB premiums that had a regular apron in the past. Do they come with the OG apron triangle plastic in the goodie bag has a replacement?

If not? What's the best solution when you want to door mount the IC? Can you order the plastic as a part, or you have to replace them with something else?

#3081 30 days ago
    Quoted from Bagdad:

For NIB premiums that had a regular apron in the past. Do they come with the OG apron triangle plastic in the goodie bag has a replacement?
    If not? What's the best solution when you want to door mount the IC? Can you order the plastic as a part, or you have to replace them with something else?

I guess I assumed I'd you door mounted, you didn't have to replace the apron but I would like to know if that's true.

#3082 30 days ago
    Quoted from Bagdad:

There were a bunch of people in the mando thread that were trying to get/find that plastic because it wasn't included on their builds/goodie bags

#3083 30 days ago
    Quoted from Bagdad:

The NIB JP Premium I got today did not include the original triangle.

#3084 30 days ago
    Quoted from scootss:

There were a bunch of people in the mando thread that were trying to get/find that plastic because it wasn't included on their builds/goodie bags

Quoted from KSP1138:

The NIB JP Premium I got today did not include the original triangle.

Man that's bad. I hope with part number you can at least order it from Stern...

#3085 30 days ago

Does anyone know what size nuts/ bolts I need to connect a premium kit to a pro apron that already has the hole for the scanner. Thanks

#3086 28 days ago

The QR scanner secures in place with #4-40 nuts.

#3087 25 days ago

Mando or Deadpool?

Picked up another insider which gets it first?

#3088 25 days ago

Got bored and 3d printed my QR code today...

phonto (resized).JPG
    #3089 22 days ago

Are orders for Stern Insider Connected units for pre-Godzilla games still backed up or are they easy to get now?

#3090 21 days ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

Are orders for Stern Insider Connected units for pre-Godzilla games still backed up or are they easy to get now?

Easy to get. Cointaker has them.

https://cointaker.com/products?keywords=Insider

#3091 21 days ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

We have pro and premium/le kits in stock.

Sal[email protected]

#3092 21 days ago

Hopefully they will add the ability for home games to log in without scanning at some point. 90% of the time it's me playing. If it could save 3 or 4 names that would be great.

#3093 21 days ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Hopefully they will add the ability for home games to log in without scanning at some point. 90% of the time it's me playing. If it could save 3 or 4 names that would be great.

On an interview on the Super Awesome Pinball Show podcast, George Gomez said this is coming. Called "home team"

#3094 21 days ago
    Quoted from scootss:

On an interview on the Super Awesome Pinball Show podcast, George Gomez said this is coming. Called "home team"

Fantastic, I'm glad I thought of it. Ha!

#3095 21 days ago

Yup. Any day now... any freaking day please feel free to go ahead and update any part of this thing FFS.

#3096 19 days ago

Has Stern said anything about updating older games to work with Insider Connected? I imagine that is the plan eventually but I just picked up a Metallica and I think an update to make it support IC would convince me to buy some kits for my games.

#3097 19 days ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Has Stern said anything about updating older games to work with Insider Connected? I imagine that is the plan eventually but I just picked up a Metallica and I think an update to make it support IC would convince me to buy some kits for my games.

I'm guessing that won't happen -- the hardware just isn't there in older SAM games to be able to support it from what I understand.

#3098 19 days ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I'm guessing that won't happen -- the hardware just isn't there in older SAM games to be able to support it from what I understand.

That's too bad, I assumed it could all be handled by a software update but maybe not.

#3099 19 days ago

I’ve been having an issue where my recent games and achievements haven’t been showing up on my account. I’ve played multiple games signed in and earned multiple achievements and the website claims my last game was 7 days ago and I’ve gotten no achievements. I am able to login on the game and the achievements pop up when I earn them. Has this happened to anyone else?

#3100 19 days ago
    Quoted from Anony:

That's too bad, I assumed it could all be handled by a software update but maybe not.

Its all part of the spike system with the QR reader being another node board. I think its all spike 2 lcd games most likely. Maybe an outside chance of spike 1 games, but doubtful.

There are 3,281 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 66.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!