Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-210002 (resized).png
Screenshot_20220705-225627_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240303-160259 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-160308 (resized).png
IMG_7516 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 123.
#2151 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

2. Those fans are the el-cheapo versions. I deliver the maglev version which doens't wear out over time. But I'm sure you know all about that.

The irony that you are now defending the cost of the mod you sell is lost on you obviously. I'm don't with you. We get it, you don't want to pay $39 for a mod you can save a few bucks making yourself. Cool. You don't come across as ridiculously cheap or anything.
Now where is that button???

#2152 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The irony that you are now defending the cost of the mod you sell is lost on you obviously. I'm don't with you. We get it, you don't want to pay $39 for a mod you can save a few bucks making yourself. Cool. You don't come across as ridiculously cheap or anything.
Now where is that button???

Say what? I only defend my own product as this is a more quality item you are referring to. There is no irony to be found here, I assure you.
That piece of plastic will cost around 1 dollar to produce. It'll take half an hour to print. I am only stating that 39 dollars is way too expensive in my opinion compared to the cost.

But hey, you don't agree. Lets leave it at that.

#2153 2 years ago

Hoping some new insider connected features will be shown off here.

7B8E3B34-D473-4472-864A-6C56ED3B1539 (resized).png7B8E3B34-D473-4472-864A-6C56ED3B1539 (resized).png
#2154 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Say what? I only defend my own product as this is a more quality item you are referring to. There is no irony to be found here, I assure you.
That piece of plastic will cost around 1 dollar to produce. It'll take half an hour to print. I am only stating that 39 dollars is way too expensive in my opinion compared to the cost.
But hey, you don't agree. Lets leave it at that.

I am unsure why you continue trash talk other peoples work. The $1.62 worth of plastic is not what you are paying for. I spent several days designing and prototyping my mount before finalizing the design. Each piece takes 3.5 hours to print with 100% infill. Each mount is then painted with at least three layers of black hammer paint, threaded inserts are applied and and the parts are packaged with very detailed installation instruction. All this takes time and equipment and I don't work for free.

#2155 2 years ago

I was successful in moving my insider connected QR reader onto the premium apron. Not thrilled about the UI of insider connected for this game. Hopefully the plan in cleaning it up.

20211228_161419 (resized).jpg20211228_161419 (resized).jpg20211228_161538 (resized).jpg20211228_161538 (resized).jpg
#2156 2 years ago

Great, glad you got it to work! Now you need to make a game card with a cut out for the reader.

#2157 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Great, glad you got it to work! Now you need to make a game card with a cut out for the reader.

I'll see if my buddy can do one with the lights border around it.

#2158 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I'll see if my buddy can do one with the lights border around it.

Make it into a demigorg mouth!

#2159 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:Hoping some new insider connected features will be shown off here.
[quoted image]

LOL - its almost like Scorbit doesn't exist!

#2160 2 years ago

I bought a bunch of Usb wifi dongles, sd cards ethernet cables and one of those ethernet mechanical switch boxes. It works pretty well if its just you and nobody else.

#2161 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am unsure why you continue trash talk other peoples work. The $1.62 worth of plastic is not what you are paying for. I spent several days designing and prototyping my mount before finalizing the design. Each piece takes 3.5 hours to print with 100% infill. Each mount is then painted with at least three layers of black hammer paint, threaded inserts are applied and and the parts are packaged with very detailed installation instruction. All this takes time and equipment and I don't work for free.

Don't forget trips to the post office, making shipping labels, dealing with lost packages, helping people troubleshoot things when they mess up the install. It's a lot of work to design, make, and sell mods.

#2162 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Don't forget trips to the post office, making shipping labels, dealing with lost packages, helping people troubleshoot things when they mess up the install. It's a lot of work to design, make, and sell mods.

I literally go to the post office multiple times some day. Lol

I finished building one for a Pinsider today that integrates the Pinballlife.com headphone jack/volume controller. It was a tight fit but I am happy with how it turned out!

IMG_1365 (resized).jpgIMG_1365 (resized).jpg
#2163 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Hoping some new insider connected features will be shown off here.
[quoted image]

Hopefully an app is coming soon!

#2164 2 years ago

Hopefully they announce it CES next month!

#2165 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

LOL - its almost like Scorbit doesn't exist!

Scorbit is amazing, but I think you’re in the wrong thread

Also, Scorbit can’t save my turtles’ levels in tmnt on my home pin, then bring my level 4 Raphael to the local arcade. These are the kinds of features I want to see Stern implement.

#2166 2 years ago

I bought this TP-Link WiFi adapter (model TL-WN725N): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU
Current price is $9.99.
Chipset comes up as RTL8188EU, recognized by Stern IC.
TP-Link makes quality stuff in my experience, so I think this is a wise choice.

#2167 2 years ago

I have also had good luck with TP-Link product in the past. If only stern would just sell the scanner alone for $99.

#2168 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I literally go to the post office multiple times some day. Lol
I finished building one for a Pinsider today that integrates the Pinballlife.com headphone jack/volume controller. It was a tight fit but I am happy with how it turned out![quoted image]

I have an Iron Maiden premium being delivered this Tuesday and was going to ask if you thought about making a plate that could hold the QR reader, and Stern's or pinball life's headphone and volume control! My machine supposedly has the QR reader installed at the factory, and I want to move it to the coin door.

#2169 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I have also had good luck with TP-Link product in the past. If only stern would just sell the scanner alone for $99.

Or re-work the system to work without a qr reader entirely, especially for home use.

#2170 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead1550:

I have an Iron Maiden premium being delivered this Tuesday and was going to ask if you thought about making a plate that could hold the QR reader, and Stern's or pinball life's headphone and volume control! My machine supposedly has the QR reader installed at the factory, and I want to move it to the coin door.

I can help you with 1/2 of that but you should look to see if you can get a triangle with “art” on it to fill in the empty cut out in the apron.

#2171 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

you should look to see if you can get a triangle with “art” on it to fill in the empty cut out in the apron.

This would work...
https://wizardmod.com/products/iron-maiden-pro-pinball-wizaprons?_pos=3&_sid=f61dc1be1&_ss=r

#2172 2 years ago

At the moment I have zero interest in the system as it stands.

Surely, there has to be head to head gameplay on the way?

Logging on and entering a fun tournament, with players from all over the globe?

Achievements get pretty old fast.

#2173 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

At the moment I have zero interest in the system as it stands.
Surely, there has to be head to head gameplay on the way?
Logging on and entering a fun tournament, with players from all over the globe?
Achievements get pretty old fast.

I think all the things you mention are coming eventually. IC still very much in its infancy with immense potential. That being said, as it stands currently I don’t have much interest.

#2174 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I can help you with 1/2 of that but you should look to see if you can get a triangle with “art” on it to fill in the empty cut out in the apron.

That's a good point. Does anyone know the part number of the right apron plastic on an Iron Maiden premium, or have one they are willing to sell? My game is coming with the insider connect already installed from stern and I want to move it to the coin door. Thanks guys.

#2175 2 years ago

I would email the Stern parts department.

#2176 2 years ago

Does anyone know where to purchase the kits?

#2179 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Does anyone know where to purchase the kits?

I don’t think anyone is currently shipping them consistently, but I got one from Cointaker and I knew a few other have as well.

https://cointaker.com/products/insider-connected-upgrade-kits-prem-le-preorder

https://cointaker.com/products/insider-connected-upgrade-pro-kit-preorder1

#2180 2 years ago

I did notice that shipping varies from seller to seller. Most charge $25 and I found some for as low as $10.

#2181 2 years ago

That's a good idea, but I like the lighted apron with the factory plastics if I can get one.

#2182 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Wired up a few days ago everything works like a charm! Will deal with the wires and mounting the switch box eventually. Highly recommend the investment if you have multiple games.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I also did this! Simple to switch between games. I just added a 3rd switch in anticipation of Mando Star Wars and Batman coming online soon!

762B6529-34ED-4A08-9DF9-726EDB0F6D9E (resized).jpeg762B6529-34ED-4A08-9DF9-726EDB0F6D9E (resized).jpeg23D7D4A6-1162-4F01-92D5-6F123D17BC90 (resized).jpeg23D7D4A6-1162-4F01-92D5-6F123D17BC90 (resized).jpegE368228A-5F10-4100-968F-BD98C9CCC420 (resized).jpegE368228A-5F10-4100-968F-BD98C9CCC420 (resized).jpeg49CE1648-BD4D-4626-AA43-932E973646ED (resized).jpeg49CE1648-BD4D-4626-AA43-932E973646ED (resized).jpeg291993C8-55DA-4EFF-8453-424FB92BFA14 (resized).jpeg291993C8-55DA-4EFF-8453-424FB92BFA14 (resized).jpeg

68AD40E3-BFF6-43FD-86B6-093CA6C01F83 (resized).jpeg68AD40E3-BFF6-43FD-86B6-093CA6C01F83 (resized).jpeg
#2183 2 years ago

There is no doubt stern are going to do something that means an SIC game in progress will poll the QR node board if everyone does this (I’ve got the switcher solution until I can get kits).

#2184 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

There is no doubt stern are going to do something that means an SIC game in progress will poll the QR node board if everyone does this (I’ve got the switcher solution until I can get kits).

What is their incentive to do something like this? They aren’t trying to make money with the kits and their goal is to get as many people using IC as possible. Seems counter productive to try and block the switcher solution. If they blocked it from working I’d probably abandon it entirely as I wouldn’t see the value in spending $200 a machine to add it.

#2185 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just to piggy back on your very correct statement, I couldn’t imagine Stern’s legal counsel would sign off on Stern building in destructive code on products already put into commerce in some cases years prior (and on commercial products with coin doors to boot)…likely too much risk for their legal counsel to sign off on that.

You mean like how Microsoft disabled modchipped Xboxes or Apple stops third party parts from working? Sorry but lawyers would be fine with this - Stern could easily argue that there is an expectation that a card reader is there.

#2186 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

What is their incentive to do something like this? They aren’t trying to make money with the kits and their goal is to get as many people using IC as possible. Seems counter productive to try and block the switcher solution. If they blocked it from working I’d probably abandon it entirely as I wouldn’t see the value in spending $200 a machine to add it.

They aren’t trying to make money with the kits but are making at least $130 per kit. And the fact they change the manifest of their code to disable pinball browser all the time?

What’s there incentive not to? If they don’t get sales either way… also the coding team might do it without thinking. Happy to be wrong on this but I’d be surprised.

#2187 2 years ago

If they kill it they kill it. The cost was negligible. I’m not dropping $1400 on kits for the 7 games I have that don’t have it. There isn’t enough incentive for an at home collection in my opinion and I am not playing with enough other people would care either. I have been using iScored to track game scores for years now and no one really cares about that either.

The achievement system may entice a younger generation of video gamers who need some sort of validation for every little thing they do. My little kids love SIC for that and the chimes in accomplishment is basically operant conditioning.

If I was an operator and had remote insight to my games and any issues, yes sure huge value.

#2188 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

They aren’t trying to make money with the kits but are making at least $130 per kit. And the fact they change the manifest of their code to disable pinball browser all the time?
What’s there incentive not to? If they don’t get sales either way… also the coding team might do it without thinking. Happy to be wrong on this but I’d be surprised.

Yeah the cost is definitely less than $200 so they are making a bit of money, but not much in the grand scheme of things - like what they make from toppers. As for the cat and mouse game with pinball browser, I think that is to appease their licensors more than anything. I don’t believe anybody has ever modified code - just audio/video/image assets - but I could be wrong.

They could disable the ability to switch the QR reader to a new machine after boot-up - I was pleasantly surprised that it even worked in the first place. There are risks with making a change like that, especially when some anti-IC customers are already complaining about errors during boot up when they have permanently unplugged their QR reader. If anything I’d think they would try to be more forgiving rather than more restrictive.

Fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen and they just ignore the dozen or so people that are sharing readers.

#2189 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

And the fact they change the manifest of their code to disable pinball browser all the time?

What’s there incentive not to?

PB is working against the interest of some licensors by allowing unrestricted access by 3rd parties to use their IP in ways they haven't been paid for. If Stern does nothing some licensors will not work with them.

One code reader for multiple games benefits Stern by encouraging wider adoption of the platform. I could see Stern going either way on it. They could adapt the IC platform to disallow wider adoption or embrace it by including wireless connectivity for the reader in the code base.

The computer security part of me is pretty sure the system hasn't been pen tested much. Doubtful any of the connectivity solutions have.

#2190 2 years ago

I don't see Stern locking down the ability to use a single scanner between multiple machines. That's generally just be a enthusiast-only situation, I don't see too many location operators doing the same thing.

I also don't think they are really making that much off the scanner kits. Game console makers (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) have gone for years either loosing money or barely breaking even selling their consoles. They make their real money on licenses, subscriptions, and other routes of income. I think Stern is likely keeping the cost of the IC kits close to their cost.

Now the question is...where does Stern go from here? What features will they add next? Will a paywall for some options eventually come into play? Will some older machines somehow have a way developed to also include IC in the future?

Interesting times ahead....

#2191 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Don't worry I have some workaround

Quoted from acedanger:

lol folks here that spend thousands of dollars are some of the cheapest motherfuckers out there lol just buy the kits... kinda hack.

My initial motivation of creating the QR reader sharing method was when Stern drop the codes for mutiple games to enable the IC part i wanted to enable achievements on my other SPIKE 2 Games ASAP while waiting for my kits to arrive.

It was more a POC while waiting for my kits but i'm glad that many people find it useful and some find that we are cheap Mothef*** using this method haha

Happy new year everyone!

#2192 2 years ago

Double post...

#2193 2 years ago

Proud to be a cheap motherf***** sharing one scanner w/ 3 games. Thanks jurulz for pioneering the switcher technique. Happy New Year!

#2194 2 years ago

Can anybody confirm / deny that a normal pro kit will work with stranger things that has the UV kit installed?

#2195 2 years ago

While you guys are hacking this thing, is the scanner just a mounted off the shelf camera that could be obtained to make a completely bootlegged system, or does it have some proprietary circuitry on it?

#2196 2 years ago

That did not last long! Already sold out!

4B6E8C56-6A82-48A0-A57D-C6782DB55C88 (resized).png4B6E8C56-6A82-48A0-A57D-C6782DB55C88 (resized).png
#2197 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

While you guys are hacking this thing, is the scanner just a mounted off the shelf camera that could be obtained to make a completely bootlegged system, or does it have some proprietary circuitry on it?

No it is an off the shelf scanner/camera with a custom Stern interface board. Without the custom board there is no way to attach it to your machine.

D4334837-07C5-4E7C-9401-99AD31191BDB (resized).jpegD4334837-07C5-4E7C-9401-99AD31191BDB (resized).jpeg
#2198 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Proud to be a cheap motherf***** sharing one scanner w/ 3 games. Thanks jurulz for pioneering the switcher technique. Happy New Year!

Agreed! Although the solution isn’t super convenient it does solve for complete lack of availability for the Connected Kits right now.

#2199 2 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I also did this! Simple to switch between games. I just added a 3rd switch in anticipation of Mando Star Wars and Batman coming online soon!

Cool set up, Ive "only" got 3 hooked up so I don't have to mess with multiple switches.

Not that you need my advice but I wonder if the following setup might be more intuitive.

Bank 1: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bank 2: A, B, C, D
Bank 3: E, F, G, H

and then your games would be 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 2e, 2f, 2g, 2h.

You could even put a little "1a" or "2g", etc. label in the corner of each backglass, where the qr reader is designed to go, or where the price card is.

#2200 2 years ago

I've had no luck on my pros trying to link them with the same switcher and sd card to try SiC while i waited on a pro kit...I thought it was a pro vs premium qr reader thing as I have a gdz premium..But that notion went out the window after trying it on ehoh. I've done a full update, new sd card image and I can now connect my imdn to SiC but I don't have node boArd 9 seen so no upper lights.. Not sure what I'm missing but I see you guys having this working is making me jealous ..I may just call it quites and take it as I sign to wait..arghh

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 0.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop
Backbox
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 194.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz
Decals
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
There are 6,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 123.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/44?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.