Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-210002 (resized).png
Screenshot_20220705-225627_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240303-160259 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-160308 (resized).png
IMG_7516 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 123.
#2001 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

flynnibus it looks like you were correct. I found a free node board port on my friends machine. There was also a green cat5 cable so I am guessing somebody changes the routing for some reason.[quoted image][quoted image]

Yup - something someone reworked.

Stern has stuck to the same basic wiring layout on all the games. CPU -> Node 9 -> Node 8 and Node 8 placed near the trough. If there are other nodes that need the bus they tend to be in the chain between the CPU and Node 9.

#2002 2 years ago

Incase this helps anyone. Initially when updating code on Deadpool Pro to 1.06 I did quick/verify and neither USB port could detect the wifi adapter. I reinstalled the same code off the same USB stick but selected full w/verify. I left the adapter and SD card inserted while running the update again. It still did not detect the wifi adapter. Something told me to try the other USB port again anyway and it works now. Possible I have a failing USB port or maybe there was something in the code that didn't update properly and/or the adapter needed to be unplugged and replugged after the update.

Note: A full update will reset all high scores and settings.

#2003 2 years ago

I had three same issue hebes. Was yours the white wifi adapter with the button on the back as well?

#2004 2 years ago

Don't know if this has been asked before but here it goes:

Does anyone know if this set is a generic set or fixed for one machine. It comes with some generic apron for which the stickers need to be moved to the new apron (why by the way, it can't be too expensive to add a set of apron stickers), and a SD card which must be mounted to the CPU board. Is there some specific code on that card custom to a machine?

The reason I am asking is that I'm considering to buy a couple of these sets and if I sell a machine transfer the set to another machine. As time evolves and if I buy new(er) machines this issue will solve itself I guess but for now I would like to be able to reuse the insider set.

I love the achievements option of stern insider.

#2005 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

a SD card which must be mounted to the CPU board. Is there some specific code on that card custom to a machine?

It is not specific to the machine. I assume it is for temp/local storage.

#2006 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Don't know if this has been asked before but here it goes:
Does anyone know if this set is a generic set or fixed for one machine. It comes with some generic apron for which the stickers need to be moved to the new apron

Everything is table agnostic for the Insider Connector kits. I installed a new MicroSD card into my JP Pro, plugged the table into my Ethernet network to avoid needing/buying a WiFi adapter, and ran a new CAT6 cable between the RJ45 port on Godzilla's code reader and the open RJ45 on the node 8 board in JP.

I installed the new code update on JP and table registration worked like a champ. The hardest part was getting the existing cable unplugged from the code reader on Godzilla.

Quoted from HarrieD:

(why by the way, it can't be too expensive to add a set of apron stickers)

There is no way for Stern to predict how many stickers to print for kits, and it complicates orders and getting stock to distributors. The last thing Stern needs is another supply chain hurdle...

#2007 2 years ago

Is there any difference in the retro kits between the pro kit and the prem/LE kit other than the apron? Couldn’t I just use the existing apron I say my LZprem with the pro retro kit and not use the included apron?

If there isn’t a difference, then why are the retro kits the same price if you don’t need the extra apron?

Yes cointaker does have, and is shipping the pro kits. Ordered some last Thursday midday and have them already…

#2008 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Is there any difference in the retro kits between the pro kit and the prem/LE kit other than the apron? Couldn’t I just use the existing apron I say my LZprem with the pro retro kit and not use the included apron?

The reader is the same. The issue is that the premium retro kit is a triangle shape designed to fit into the right spot on your existing premium apron.

If you buy a pro retro kit, you can remove the reader, but it is a rectangle (just the scanner part), and you would need to make a mount to put it in the triangle spot on your premium apron.

That said...you could mount it elsewhere...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

If there isn’t a difference, then why are the retro kits the same price if you don’t need the extra apron?

Just a marketing practice to keep the pricing simple.

#2009 2 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

The reader is the same. The issue is that the premium retro kit is a triangle shape designed to fit into the right spot on your existing premium apron.
If you buy a pro retro kit, you can remove the reader, but it is a rectangle (just the scanner part), and you would need to make a mount to put it in the triangle spot on your premium apron.

That really answers the question.

I did know about the front door mount and have been considering it as well.

Thank you~

#2010 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Yes cointaker does have, and is shipping the pro kits. Ordered some last Thursday midday and have them already…

You are correct but if you order a pro version for a premium/LE you will not have anywhere to mount it in the stock machine. It is strange that they are charging the same price for the different versions but I guess a plastic pro apron does not cost that much. Both versions work with the dollar bill acceptor bracket that I made. You can buy one here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05569-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

IMG_1178 (resized).jpgIMG_1178 (resized).jpgIMG_1181 (resized).jpgIMG_1181 (resized).jpg
#2011 2 years ago

I just received a Mandalorian pro with IC already installed. Unlike my Godzilla I do not see Wi-Fi in the menu to link it to my location. Has anyone had this problem?

#2012 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I just received a Mandalorian pro with IC already installed. Unlike my Godzilla I do not see Wi-Fi in the menu to link it to my location. Has anyone had this problem?

Update the code maybe? Check the installed version

#2013 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I don’t think code has been legal approved for mando. Insider still says coming soon.

#2014 2 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I ended up running a 6 foot cat-5 cable to an open port near the back of the playfield. Contrary to what people are suggesting, no, there are no terminator plugs in the ports near the trough. This cabinet is quite old from 2018, so perhaps things have changed a bit since then.

For the 2018 build of IM, like us, you may have to buy an additional cat5 cable. Node board you are suggested to use is already in use.

#2015 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

don’t think code has been legal approved for mando. Insider still says coming soon.

This is the way.

#2016 2 years ago

I installed my IC retrofit apron on my Aerosmith Pro. Aside from stern sending me the premium instructions instead of the pro, the process was simple and quick.

I was worried about transferring the stickers but as others have said they peel right off and re- stick easily.

If you have any questions or want specific pics just let me know.

CFDE2C39-4626-40DB-A3A1-3ABCA571A825 (resized).jpegCFDE2C39-4626-40DB-A3A1-3ABCA571A825 (resized).jpegD3A65F62-04F7-44BA-8F76-7131CCD55E2B (resized).jpegD3A65F62-04F7-44BA-8F76-7131CCD55E2B (resized).jpeg
#2017 2 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

I installed my IC retrofit apron on my Aerosmith Pro. Aside from stern sending me the premium instructions instead of the pro, the process was simple and quick.
I was worried about transferring the stickers but as others have said they peel right off and re- stick easily.
If you have any questions or want specific pics just let me know. [quoted image][quoted image]

It's great to see people putting IC on an "older game" and I hope this ends up being a worthwhile mod. I just wanted to point out the usual interesting difference of opinions here on Pinside. On the one hand there are people excited about IC and paying $200 to retrofit their games. On the other hand there are people up in arms, thinking these are end times and the four horsemen are drawing near.

#2018 2 years ago

What strikes me right away is how ugly it looks. It really takes away from the artwork on the game.

I’m really glad the coin door mod is available so home users can relocate the reader.

#2019 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What strikes me right away is how ugly it looks. It really takes away from the artwork on the game.

Yeah..it seemed like we were going to get integrated art, which would have been much better.

I think I'm going to take the old right triangle sticker and cut out the reader. That should look better, but we'll see...

#2020 2 years ago

You can print out your QR code from the site. I took those, added a picture, and put them on a ring for the four players in our house. Especially good for the kids who don't have phones (yet).

IMG_2706 (resized).jpegIMG_2706 (resized).jpeg
#2021 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m really glad the coin door mod is available so home users can relocate the reader.

If using the coin door reader I assume you will have to unplug the Cat5 cable when you lift the playfield.

#2022 2 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

If using the coin door reader I assume you will have to unplug the Cat5 cable when you lift the playfield.

You would prolly not have to if you used a longer than provided cable. Maybe a 5ft?

#2023 2 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

I don’t have a reader yet but I would probably run it from the CPU to the coin door. I’m sure there is a way to do it without having to running a cable that could get pulled inadvertently.

#2024 2 years ago

My 1st Stern Insider Connected meme...

20211218_190620 (resized).jpg20211218_190620 (resized).jpg
#2025 2 years ago

Installed a switcher on the front of my Godzilla to switch the qr reader between Jurassic Park, Turtles, and Elvira. Works great! Takes a few seconds to connect once you press the switch. My wife and I can each be logged in to different games simultaneously, so the reader is only needed to get you in.

2nd row will be for Stranger Things once it’s ready, and other future Sterns I may own.

144F172E-D6C4-49D5-A64E-2D85B71754D4 (resized).jpeg144F172E-D6C4-49D5-A64E-2D85B71754D4 (resized).jpeg

#2026 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Installed a switcher on the front of my Godzilla to switch the qr reader between Jurassic Park, Turtles, and Elvira. Works great! Takes a few seconds to connect once you press the switch. My wife and I can each be logged in to different games simultaneously, so the reader is only needed to get you in.
2nd row will be for Stranger Things once it’s ready, and other future Sterns I may own.
[quoted image]

Do the other machines still need any part of the upgrade kit?

#2027 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

[quoted image]

Hold on a second here. This is really something to take note of. So in theory you only need one reader for a given collection and just buy wifi adapters for the rest of the games? Or are the games all connected via Ethernet cables and don't even need wifi? Either way this needs to be described in detail if it will save people from buying the full setup for each of their games.

#2028 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Hold on a second here. This is really something to take note of. So in theory you only need one reader for a given collection and just buy wifi adapters for the rest of the games? Or are the games all connected via Ethernet cables and don't even need wifi? Either way this needs to be described in detail if it will save people from buying the full setup for each of their games.

I'd say the QR scanner is just connected to each machine via the switch and then each machine has its own wifi/internet connection and microSD card. So the machines are only sharing the QR reader, not everything else.

As long as the machine doesn't have a stroke because it can no longer detect the QR scanner after someone logged in, it should all still work.

#2029 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

until an update stops that from working or it needs to be linked for each game boot.

#2030 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

until an update stops that from working or it needs to be linked for each game boot.

I don’t see Stern changing this behavior. The IC hardware is not a huge money maker for them. All new games will come with the reeder going forward so this is really only helpful for home use with existing machine.

#2031 2 years ago

Will the connect setup work on mandalorian pro for updates?I don't have a computer and can't update software on my games,Considering buying these if it will do the updates on its own properly.Signed,A pinball fan,computer/tech hater!

#2032 2 years ago
Quoted from Brian541:

Will the connect setup work on mandalorian pro for updates?I don't have a computer and can't update software on my games,Considering buying these if it will do the updates on its own properly.Signed,A pinball fan,computer/tech hater!

You’ll need to update to the not yet released mando code that enables IC.

#2033 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

All of my games have the canakit wifi dongles and micro usb sticks installed.

Each games is routed to the rj45 splitter in the front of Godzilla.

Switching between them takes ~5-15 seconds.

Works really well, and saves/uploads all record & achievements just fine, even after disconnecting the IC apron.

06B29658-478B-4F04-8324-232722E990E7 (resized).png06B29658-478B-4F04-8324-232722E990E7 (resized).png
#2034 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

All of my games have the canakit wifi dongles and micro usb sticks installed.
Each games is routed to the rj45 splitter in the front of Godzilla.
Switching between them takes ~5-15 seconds.
Works really well, and saves/uploads all record & achievements just fine, even after disconnecting the IC apron.[quoted image]

Seems like a lot of silly unnecessary work and cables everywhere. But to each their own

#2035 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Seems like a lot of silly unnecessary work and cables everywhere. But to each their own

They’re routed cleanly behind my machines.

Besides, this is pinball. All of it is “silly unnecessary work”

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2036 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

They’re routed cleanly behind my machines.

And $20-30 a game instead of $200?

#2037 2 years ago

I removed mine from my Godzilla Premium and sold to a friend who wanted it for his Iron Maiden Premium. I forgot to give him the microsd card and assuming he can just insert a blank fat32 formatted one in his? Otherwise I took the microsd card out of my Godzilla and doesn't seem to make a difference. I do get this error on start up otherwise once game is booted it plays fine. I haven't spent much time looking but guessing I need to change a setting or maybe dip switch to get rid of this error?

PXL_20211218_211119646.jpgPXL_20211218_211119646.jpg
#2038 2 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

I removed mine from my Godzilla Premium and sold to a friend who wanted it for his Iron Maiden Premium. I forgot to give him the microsd card and assuming he can just insert a blank fat32 formatted one in his? Otherwise I took the microsd card out of my Godzilla and doesn't seem to make a difference. I do get this error on start up otherwise once game is booted it plays fine. I haven't spent much time looking but guessing I need to change a setting or maybe dip switch to get rid of this error?
[quoted image]

I think the game just formats it for you. Should be able to use any 16gb card. I put one from Amazon in my Elvira and recall seeing a message about the machine formatting the card when I first installed it.

#2039 2 years ago

CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFAN498

SanDisk 16GB Ultra microSDHC... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073K14CVB

Toptekits 4 Port Way 8P8C RJ45... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F65L4RG

Monoprice 0.5FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C4ZRFI

Monoprice 25FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C4SF6Q

Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Gigabit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089MGH8T5

RJ45 Coupler,Ethernet Coupler, in... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WR1N7FX

Since I’ve had several people message me personally, I’ll link y’all to the items I bought to make this work.
One 25’ cat6 per machine you’re looking to hook up (green cables)
You’ll need a coupler to extend the cable (red cable) from the insider connected board to the splitter, if you want to mount it in the front of the machine and open it with some slack. If you want to just leave it in your cab, you won’t need the extender, but it’s much more convenient to have it outside the machine, so you don’t have to open the door and kill power each time you want to use it.
I just used a few zip-ties to fasten the 2 splitters to each other, and the splitters to various parts of the coin mech to keep it in place. Just a quick bit of black cardboard to fill the gap. Good enough for me.

Oh, and yes, that’s a cowbell underneath Godzilla. It fires off instead of a knocker, ya know, a little blue oyster cult nod but that picture is to show y’all where all the cables come out of Godzilla and run to the other machines.

5EDB9E3D-B66A-459F-AA9C-8C1519158901 (resized).png5EDB9E3D-B66A-459F-AA9C-8C1519158901 (resized).png
B5F54E59-A75E-4825-9129-00F23671BEA0 (resized).jpegB5F54E59-A75E-4825-9129-00F23671BEA0 (resized).jpeg

F6AA42EE-37DF-44FA-8D42-4D7D94E09E91 (resized).pngF6AA42EE-37DF-44FA-8D42-4D7D94E09E91 (resized).png1166B777-A4B8-41AE-8670-976DD8056D71 (resized).png1166B777-A4B8-41AE-8670-976DD8056D71 (resized).png
#2040 2 years ago

Thanks KingVidiot for the awesome explanation and pictures. I have the same setup with just a single 4-way switch that is sitting on top of the coin box inside my GZ. I will absolutely be moving it to the dollar bill acceptor like you did. I only have 3 compatible games right now (GZ, IMDN, DP) so one switch works fine for me.

I didn’t use an Ethernet extender - I just unplugged the short Ethernet cable from my IC sensor and replaced it with a 12 foot cable that runs from the sensor down the length of the playfield and then on the bottom of the cabinet to the switch at the front of the machine. A few zip ties and the cabinet cable management clips make it super clean.

I assume your second switch is cause you’ll have more than 4 games hooked up? It will require 2 button presses to get to that second bank, but I don’t see any 8 way switches available.

#2041 2 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

[quoted image]

I don’t know if you can get rid of the error message without adding that node board back to the game.

#2042 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Thanks KingVidiot for the awesome explanation and pictures. I assume your second switch is cause you’ll have more than 4 games hooked up? It will require 2 button presses to get to that second bank, but I don’t see any 8 way switches available.

No problem! Yeah, the 2nd bank is for Stranger Things whenever it gets updated for Insider Connected.

I looked high and low for an 8 bank, but it just doesn’t exist. But these 4 way switchers are fairly cheap and simple. I might take a couple of them apart and solder them into an 8 way. I do like how they neatly fit inside that removable plate, so stacking 2 or even 4 banks would work if you had a ton of Spike 2 games.

#2043 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t know if you can get rid of the error message without adding that node board back to the game.

Then it must be related to latest code 0.85 update because I pulled QR reader before on 0.80 and never had this error on start up. Not a big deal because once game boots up it goes away and game plays like normal. Now if it didn't let me start a game then that would be a problem. Hopefully if it is code related they will address on next code update.

#2044 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

No problem! Yeah, the 2nd bank is for Stranger Things whenever it gets updated for Insider Connected.

I looked high and low for an 8 bank, but it just doesn’t exist. But these 4 way switchers are fairly cheap and simple. I might take a couple of them apart and solder them into an 8 way. I do like how they neatly fit inside that removable plate, so stacking 2 or even 4 banks would work if you had a ton of Spike 2 games.

This looks great. Thanks for sharing.

With so many machines hooked up, have you considered removing the scanner from godzilla as well and putting in a separate box? I could see it as a bit of an arcade login station...

#2045 2 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

This looks great. Thanks for sharing.
With so many machines hooked up, have you considered removing the scanner from godzilla as well and putting in a separate box? I could see it as a bit of an arcade login station...

That would definitely make it easier to login, vs. waiting if someone is on Godzilla to sneak in and scan.

#2046 2 years ago

I really wish IC had a "scanner-less" mode - even if it was just for home users. Each machine could have a unique QR code displayed on the screen that you scan in the IC app on your phone that tells the mothership that user X has just scanned in to machine Y. The machine would get notified of this as part of its normal communication with the server, and it could then add that user the same way as it does today when the user scans in.

There is really no reason to force a scanner onto these machines, apart from some vague and currently unrealized concept of printed QR coupons. All you'd need to add is the microSD card and network adapter (less than $20 combined on Amazon).

George Gomez is a really smart guy, but this seems like overkill for 99% of scenarios.

#2047 2 years ago

I really wish IC had a "scanner-less" mode - even if it was just for home users. Each machine could have a unique QR code displayed on the screen that you scan in the IC app on your phone that tells the mothership that user X has just scanned in to machine Y. The machine would get notified of this as part of its normal communication with the server, and it could then add that user the same way as it does today when the user scans in.
There is really no reason to force a scanner onto these machines, apart from some vague and currently unrealized concept of printed QR coupons. All you'd need to add is the microSD card and network adapter (less than $20 combined on Amazon).
George Gomez is a really smart guy, but this seems like overkill for 99% of scenarios.

unique ID?? does the spike CPU board have that? or do we need to an an per game KEY CHIP like golden tee?
Where is the game unique ID stored? On the IC board?

#2048 2 years ago

this is exactly how Scorbit works. With the right engagement Scorbit could run on the Spike 2 MPU and just required a wifi dongle (and maybe a SD card)

Neil.

#2049 2 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Then it must be related to latest code 0.85 update because I pulled QR reader before on 0.80 and never had this error on start up. Not a big deal because once game boots up it goes away and game plays like normal. Now if it didn't let me start a game then that would be a problem. Hopefully if it is code related they will address on next code update.

there was some guy making a long rant post about the fact that GZ stopped midway because they'd removed the board.

#2050 2 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

No, according to the kit creator. Was already covered in his thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
NinjaCamp Mods
Protection
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
NinjaCamp Mods
Interactive
$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball
Pinball Machine
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
NinjaCamp Mods
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Linn Creek, MO
$ 299.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
There are 6,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 123.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/41?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.