B79FE22D-D333-43B1-BB88-007E1D6D9EC0_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
786BDDC7-FF68-4737-8EF1-4C19FA258F13 (resized).jpeg
stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 124.
#1751 2 years ago

Well I think we would like to get th achievements too

#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Well I think we would like to get th achievements too

I didn’t think it was something I wanted,but it is addicting getting those achievements! Even if you don’t get a new GC or make it on the board,you might get a achievement.

0F95DC87-F270-4CA1-A9E1-E8CE3F157E55 (resized).jpeg0F95DC87-F270-4CA1-A9E1-E8CE3F157E55 (resized).jpeg
#1753 2 years ago

I have an Iron Maiden pro. I had never looked closely at the extra mode the premium/LE had because I couldn't access it, but I assumed it was not on the pro because one of the premium mechanisms activated it.

So when I saw today that I could pay for Stern IC to get this mode on my pro I looked it up and turns out it has always been software lcoked, the mode is activated with a mechanism that is on both the pro and premium.

So now I can't decide if I should be annoyed that I have to pay for a mode or if I should be annoyed that the mode was always software locked in the first place. OR I could be positive and say that the cost of Stern IC is far less than the jump to premium so I should be happy I can access it now. (Although being in Canada that $200 becomes a lot more very quickly)

Anyways, rant over. I dislike the trend of locking things like modes behind paywalls that has taken over gaming, things like that should be left to free to play mobile trash, not something you spend so much on in the first place. I hope Stern doesn't get carried away or start a trend. A lot of companies do crappy thing just because the big company does it. See the cell phone market.

#1754 2 years ago

I've been able to use the Stern IC on my Deadpool Pro using the bottom arch of my GZLE.

I didn't removed the ethernet cable from GZLE I simply used another one and i try with a 8 GB micro sd card but it didn't work. I use the one from Godzilla for now.

IMG_1435 (resized).jpgIMG_1435 (resized).jpgIMG_1436 (resized).jpgIMG_1436 (resized).jpgIMG_1437 (resized).jpgIMG_1437 (resized).jpg
#1755 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

I've been able to use the Stern IC on my Deadpool Pro using the bottom arch of my GZLE.
I didn't removed the ethernet cable from GZLE I simply used another one and i try with a 8 GB micro sd card but it didn't work. I use the one from Godzilla for now.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you just run a long cable to the other cab and disconnect it from Godzilla ?

#1756 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Did you just run a long cable to the other cab and disconnect it from Godzilla ?

A short one, the cable connect to the node board close to the arch. My goal was to leave the cable in GZ. So i used a temporary 6ft ethernet cable but 3ft should me more then enough.
9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg

#1757 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

A short one, the cable connect to the node board close to the arch.[quoted image]

I see so you moved the reader from the apron . I was thinking I could just hook multiple cablea and move it at will but that seems lame

#1758 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I see so you moved the reader from the apron . I was thinking I could just hook multiple cablea and move it at will but that seems lame

Why? I’m going to try that. Run the cable out the tournament button hole or just inside the coin door. I may get one reader for home but don’t see getting two and I only have two Spike 2 games.

#1759 2 years ago

without the update kit, is there any reason to put the most recent code on?

#1760 2 years ago

Yeah just seems like a bit of work and a touch untidy , wish you could save your user for home use and not have to scan !

#1761 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

without the update kit, is there any reason to put the most recent code on?

Depends on the game , some have new features

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

No i didn’t move the QR reader from the apron.

But yeah you could in theory use a very cable and plug it to another node board game… i will try that.

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

No i didn’t move the QR reader from the apron.
But yeah you could in theory use a very cable and plug it to another node board game… i will try that.

Ok I'm confused how you got it on Deadpool then or did you move the entire apron ?

#1764 2 years ago

Oh never mind now I see it in your picture DUH !

#1765 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

so you need more than wifi to connect your game... I bought a bunch of dongles...
[quoted image]

does it pull an ip?
Does it do any networking with just e-net plugged in?

#1766 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

does it pull an ip?

Game must be registered with Insider Connect to have any online features - Insider Connect requires the IC kit be present.

So even if it did bring up the networking stack - it doesn't matter... the application code won't leverage it.

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

does it pull an ip?

You need to have a compatible wifi dongle with a Ralink 5370 chipset. This one is the one used by stern: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html

A virgin 16gb micro sd card that you need to plugin in the beagle board of the Spike 2 board.

You can connect the QR code reader using an ethernet cable on the game you want to use the Other game node board 4.

FD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpegFD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpeg
#1768 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

You need to have a compatible wifi dongle with a Ralink 5370 chipset. This one is the one used by stern: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html
A virgin 16gb micro sd card that you need to plugin in the beagle board of the Spike 2 board.
You can connect the QR code reader using an ethernet cable on the game you want to use the Other game node board 4.
[quoted image]

It’s also compatible with Ralink RT5572 as there have been panda pau09 adaptors (much better than the 2.4ghz only canakit) shipped as well.

#1769 2 years ago

I think my scanner died.

On Godzilla Pro, was working fine for a day, then at the end of a game I noticed the red scanner wasnt lit. The white framing is lit and the diagnostics says that node 4 is ok, but no scanner.

I re-seated the two tiny ribbon cables, re-locking them in place, but no change.

Any other ideas before I contact my distributer?

#1770 2 years ago

My Connect on GZ pro worked for one session, now I get "This machine isn't online currently"(or similar). SW0.81. It worked on both 0.77 & 0.81. I've rebooted both the modem & router numerous times, they're only about 10' from the pin. On the pin I've rescanned for wifi numerous times. The first couple of times it show all my networks, but now it's not bringing up any SSIDs, but shows it's connected to the network I set it up on a couple of days ago. A couple of resets of the USB dongle. I even turned the pin on and off a couple of times. Thoughts?

#1771 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

It’s also compatible with Ralink RT5572 as there have been panda pau09 adaptors (much better than the 2.4ghz only canakit) shipped as well.

Good to know!

#1772 2 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

My Connect on GZ pro worked for one session, now I get "This machine isn't online currently"(or similar). SW0.81. It worked on both 0.77 & 0.81. I've rebooted both the modem & router numerous times, they're only about 10' from the pin. On the pin I've rescanned for wifi numerous times. The first couple of times it show all my networks, but now it's not bringing up any SSIDs, but shows it's connected to the network I set it up on a couple of days ago. A couple of resets of the USB dongle. I even turned the pin on and off a couple of times. Thoughts?

I had the same issue when the game was connected to my Wifi but no internet connection.

Did you try to reset the wifi within the stern WIFI config?

#1773 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

I had the same issue when the game was connected to my Wifi but no internet connection.
Did you try to reset the wifi within the stern WIFI config?

Maybe?? Do you mean in the network settings in the game or somewhere else?

#1774 2 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

I experienced the same on my Godzilla. I played one game and attempted again and WiFi was active. It may just be slow to link up. My machine is about 20’ from my modem.

#1775 2 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

I experienced the same on my Godzilla. I played one game and attempted again and WiFi was active. It may just be slow to link up. My machine is about 20’ from my modem.

Been on for the last 6-7 hours. Shows linked, signal strength, etc, but still get the error.

#1776 2 years ago

Anyone applied for pro? How long did it take?

#1777 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Anyone applied for pro? How long did it take?

A day? 2 tops. It was pretty quick.

#1778 2 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

Been on for the last 6-7 hours. Shows linked, signal strength, etc, but still get the error.

Did a Factory Reset, but it still wasn't working. Went to send a trouble report to Stern and I'd got an email from them saying I had an unregistered game, it was Godzilla. I reregistered it and it's back online.

#1779 2 years ago

Does your game have to be registered for Insider to work? Perhaps that’s my issue? When I scan the QR it just goes boop-boop.

#1780 2 years ago

I thought maybe upgrading the wifi usb would help but I looked up that CanaKit dongle and it gets pretty good reviews surprisingly. I figured it would be the cheapest one that Stern could find.

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Does your game have to be registered for Insider to work? Perhaps that’s my issue?

Quoted from AntennaMan:

I'd got an email from them saying I had an unregistered game, it was Godzilla. I reregistered it and it's back online.

#1782 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Does your game have to be registered for Insider to work? Perhaps that’s my issue? When I scan the QR it just goes boop-boop.

yes

#1783 2 years ago

Did it say that anywhere? I was so bummed when that didn’t work on my $7500 game. I spent hours trying to fix the wifi at the bar

#1784 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Did it say that anywhere? I was so bummed when that didn’t work on my $7500 game. I spent hours trying to fix the wifi at the bar

As I said, I just stumbled upon it when I'd exhausted all other avenues and was getting ready to attempt to contact Stern.

#1785 2 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

If you follow the onscreen messages yes. Scan code then goto insider webpage to complete the process of acknowledging the game

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I have an Iron Maiden pro. I had never looked closely at the extra mode the premium/LE had because I couldn't access it, but I assumed it was not on the pro because one of the premium mechanisms activated it.
So when I saw today that I could pay for Stern IC to get this mode on my pro I looked it up and turns out it has always been software lcoked, the mode is activated with a mechanism that is on both the pro and premium.
So now I can't decide if I should be annoyed that I have to pay for a mode or if I should be annoyed that the mode was always software locked in the first place. OR I could be positive and say that the cost of Stern IC is far less than the jump to premium so I should be happy I can access it now. (Although being in Canada that $200 becomes a lot more very quickly)
Anyways, rant over. I dislike the trend of locking things like modes behind paywalls that has taken over gaming, things like that should be left to free to play mobile trash, not something you spend so much on in the first place. I hope Stern doesn't get carried away or start a trend. A lot of companies do crappy thing just because the big company does it. See the cell phone market.

wut?

You aren't paying for a mode. You are paying for a device and Stern are throwing in a mode for free.

Neil.

#1787 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

wut?
You aren't paying for a mode. You are paying for a device and Stern are throwing in a mode for free.
Neil.

From the perspective of someone who already wanted the device, sure.
If you however are only interested in the mode then yes, it is behind a $200USD paywall.
Let's not pretend it's going to stop here anyway.

#1788 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

From the perspective of someone who already wanted the device, sure.
If you however are only interested in the mode then yes, it is behind a $200USD paywall.
Let's not pretend it's going to stop here anyway.

Sure, but before this update it was behind an 8k+ paywall

#1789 2 years ago

Any Black Friday sales in the kit? I’m sure not, but thought I’d check.

#1790 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Sure, but before this update it was behind an 8k+ paywall

2k from pro to premium but I get it.

#1791 2 years ago

If I have the IC connected installed would players need to log in to access the other modes? If a 4 player games was being played and only 1 player was IC would everyone have access to the extra modes?

#1792 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

If I have the IC connected installed would players need to log in to access the other modes? If a 4 player games was being played and only 1 player was IC would everyone have access to the extra modes?

I would expect entitlements to follow the game - not the signed in player.

#1793 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I believe the release stated that once the machine was logged in, not individual players, CIPWM would be unlocked. It's a good question but Sterns phrasing has me thinking as soon as one person logs in, the game is Insider connected and anything unlockable would be while any player was logged in.

#1794 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I would expect entitlements to follow the game - not the signed in player.

That’s what I’m hoping as well. I don’t want to force people to sign up for IC to play features in the game.

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I believe the release stated that once the machine was logged in, not individual players, CIPWM would be unlocked. It's a good question but Sterns phrasing has me thinking as soon as one person logs in, the game is Insider connected and anything unlockable would be while any player was logged in.

how often does the game check for being on line?
Does it need to be on line 24/7? with checks being made all the time? Can poorly timed internet drop crash or lockup the game?

#1796 2 years ago

Here is a quick tutorial i created for sharing your Stern IC QR reader to other compatible Games.

***Disclaimer*** I'm not responsible if you damage your game(s) use this method at your own risk. Enjoy!

Here is the link for couple of the requirements that i use for this tutorial:
Wifi dongle: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html
Micro SD Card: amazon.com link »
RJ45 physical selector: amazon.com link »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RfpKi4Pd7I0E5fRpZh86YdCjwuZoIkY/view?usp=sharing

#1797 2 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

Here is a quick tutorial i created for sharing your Stern IC QR reader to other compatible Games.

Very cool. Well done!

If you're interested, this is probably worth a new thread with the images and description in the post (rather than a doc) since more people will find it.

#1798 2 years ago

Like a few of you I “borrowed” my QR reader from my Godzilla and am now using it in my EHOH. I made a bracket so that it can be mounted in the coin door (I have LCD screens in the apron that I want to keep). I have obtained about 1/2 of the 69 available achievements. If you are interested in doing the same, I am selling the brackets as a kit.

5842314B-7777-414E-98F6-3789A0AEA498 (resized).jpeg5842314B-7777-414E-98F6-3789A0AEA498 (resized).jpeg8C2232E9-6E74-41D7-B896-39BD7121304E (resized).jpeg8C2232E9-6E74-41D7-B896-39BD7121304E (resized).jpeg Added over 2 years ago:

Here is the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

#1799 2 years ago

Help - I’ve been Attempting to set up Godzilla on location and after I scan my personal code (pro account for operator) on the game and i attempt to verify the location the game is connected to via the website and select the correct one, the game gets deleted from my profile completely.

This is super frustrating as I now need to physically go back to the site to reconnect the game to my profile.

Any ideas what went wrong and how to make sure this doesn’t happen again?

EDIT: After going back to the location and scanning the code again, I was able to successfully connect the game to the location and then verify it via the website using my laptop. My first attempt I tried to verify the location using my iphone, and I suspect there is some bug when using a phone that caused the game to be deleted rather than verified.

#1800 2 years ago

The reader on Godzilla at a local bar was only working 10% of the time today during our launch party. Probably a loose connection? Hopefully they get it fixed soon so I can get some more verified achievements.

8A97F67D-0C90-4BF0-BF3A-D42D19C14F2C (resized).jpeg8A97F67D-0C90-4BF0-BF3A-D42D19C14F2C (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 169.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Lighting - Led
Gameroom Mods

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 124.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/36?hl=rockfordreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.