Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,070 posts
  • 464 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by finman2000
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stern_address_verification_error_2 (resized).png
    20220515_112646 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_050525852 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5395 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6600C1F2-AF4C-48C1-B3AA-D83D56D7C4F3 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220409_173017612 (resized).jpg
    20220406_170207 (resized).jpg
    20220406_135433 (resized).jpg
    B04BC3F4-FD98-4303-B457-8C53D0C9F002 (resized).jpeg
    4E77FBD9-FB49-4CF8-8AF3-171E7C18E734 (resized).jpeg
    PBL-200-0103-00 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220330_121538063.jpg
    PXL_20220330_141319828.jpg
    20220324_224340 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 62.
    #1401 7 months ago
    Quoted from JPloof:

$199.99.
    Woo hoo! will order for all my titles soon!

beat me to it. Also going to operators first :/

#1402 7 months ago

$200 seems expected but super disappointing. As a home user I would like to just log in once on my pin and stay logged in. I don't need the scanner at all just seems pointless for $200, other than the fact that they will make it mandatory. I can't speak for guys with routes but $200 a pop could add up real quick, is it really going to be worth it for them?

#1403 7 months ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

$200 seems expected but super disappointing. As a home user I would like to just log in once on my pin and stayed logged in. I don't need the scanner at all just seems pointless for $200, other than the fact that they will make it mandatory. I can't speak for guys with routes but $200 a pop could add up real quick, is it really going to be worth it for them?

Agree. I was hoping the "discounted" intro price was lower to get it out there.

#1404 7 months ago

Gomez said, eventually, people at home won't have to keep scanning their phones.

#1405 7 months ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Gomez said, eventually, people at home won't have to keep scanning their phones.

In that case, why not offer the WiFi dongle only for home users and get them connected for cheaper?

#1406 7 months ago

Is the price going to be the same across the board? If a pro needs a whole new apron, but a premium doesn't, those would theoretically be cheaper, right?

#1407 7 months ago
    Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Is the price going to be the same across the board? If a pro needs a whole new apron, but a premium doesn't, those would theoretically be cheaper, right?

They said the same cost for both pro and prem

#1408 7 months ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

In that case, why not offer the WiFi dongle only for home users and get them connected for cheaper?

Well probably because you need the reader to scan your qr codes at least once, plus the versatility to make changes if you change your mind and want to add users, or whatever else.

#1409 7 months ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

For when friends come over.

#1410 7 months ago

Well probably because you need the reader to scan your qr codes at least once, plus the versatility to make changes if you change your mind and want to add users, or whatever else.

only because that's the way they've implemented registration - it's not the only way to do it. Does your Roku or FireTV have a QR scanner? No, these are all examples of models where the device talks to the cloud and uses a challenge model to associate the device to the user and help authorize the transaction.

#1411 7 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

only because that's the way they've implemented registration - it's not the only way to do it. Does your Roku or FireTV have a QR scanner? No, these are all examples of models where the device talks to the cloud and uses a challenge model to associate the device to the user and help authorize the transaction.

I don't know why you are talking to me like I developed this thing. That's how this works, complain to Stern if you want it to work differently.

#1412 7 months ago

Not sure why they didn't go the Scorbit approach and scan a QR code on the game screen to claim a player spot...less hardware needed for that. I got achievements/online added to my Dialed In with a $15 wifi dongle.

I personally like the idea of Insider Connected, so I am not dogging the overall concept, but why add all the extra hardware cost? I don't know if I will spend $200 for my JP...but I would have spent $15 in a heartbeat.

#1413 7 months ago

available in Nov to operators first

#1414 7 months ago

Getting Stern Insider Connected Setup & Online

#1415 7 months ago

Stern needs to make an app for this as well, having to log in to a website is inconvenient.

#1416 7 months ago
    Quoted from thePLAyNone:

Stern needs to make an app for this as well, having to log in to a website is inconvenient.

Gomez said it's in development now. Will be released next year.

Also you can just take a screenshot or print out your QR code if you are logging in to get the QR code.

#1417 7 months ago

I just got Godzilla pro, connected it to the Wi-Fi, tested the connection, and still I can’t get it to scan my QR code. Is there another step I am missing?

#1418 7 months ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

I just got Godzilla pro, connected it to the Wi-Fi, tested the connection, and still I can’t get it to scan my QR code. Is there another step I am missing?

Hold it further away from the reader.

#1419 7 months ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

i think within the "Net" menu there's a "connect this machine to Insider Connect" option, or something like that.

#1420 7 months ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

i think within the "Net" menu there's a "connect this machine to Insider Connect" option, or something like that.

Apparently you need to register the machine. I got it.

#1421 7 months ago
    Quoted from Aniraf:

Apparently you need to register the machine. I got it.

I think I heard a comment that the machine operator has to establish a "pro" account which requires some interaction with Stern.
    Not sure if that applies to home based machines or not.

#1422 7 months ago

Gomez mentioned there will be continual "content drops" and "features" for the supported games and connected, but remained vague about specifics.

I feel like my want for this to be much more than a achievement system is making me think this will eventually do much more than it will actually do.

But it sounds like, based on what Gomez said, that adding specific achievements, or challenges(like say beat a specific mode within a set time), is the extent of the changes to the gameplay of the machines.

#1423 7 months ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

I personally like the idea of Insider Connected, so I am not dogging the overall concept, but why add all the extra hardware cost? I don't know if I will spend $200 for my JP...but I would have spent $15 in a heartbeat.

More profit in selling hardware versus a dongle.

#1424 7 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I think I heard a comment that the machine operator has to establish a "pro" account which requires some interaction with Stern.

that's only if the operator wants to use the "pro" features and/or "verify" the machine. you can always just keep a standard player account and register your machine as unverified, and still have all the achievement and player stuff.

#1425 7 months ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

More profit in selling hardware versus a dongle.

I was thinking the same thing. I think I saw where you can purchase the wifi dongle for about $20, so if someone finds a source for the QR reader part...
    Add to that, the fact that I don't really think that the wifi dongle is even required if you connect the machine over ethernet with an RJ45 cable.
    The QR reader could be placed inside the coin door without changing the apron or perhaps mounted to the leg of the machine with a cable out the bottom of the cabinet.

#1426 7 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

I was thinking the same thing. I think I saw where you can purchase the wifi dongle for about $20, so if someone finds a source for the QR reader part...
    Add to that, the fact that I don't really think that the wifi dongle is even required if you connect the machine over ethernet with an RJ45 cable.
    The QR reader could be placed inside the coin door without changing the apron or perhaps mounted to the leg of the machine with a cable out the bottom of the cabinet.

i can't say Stern's exact reasoning, from an engineering point of view, for going the QR route. But I can say that from a marketing and promoting point of view, having a glowing square on the apron that begs you to scan it, is a genius way of intriguing players who wouldn't normally look deeper than sticking a buck in the coin door, to now research and potentially sign up for it. And as an operator, if it draws in more repeat players, and gets them more involved, I love it.

As far as cost, being that it's now standard with all newly produced games, that extra cost will just be recouped in a resale. The original buyer is basically just fronting the cost for the time they own the game. If you buy a secondhand Stern w Insider connect, assume your also buying the Connect hardware that comes with it.

#1427 7 months ago

I don't know why you are talking to me like I developed this thing. That's how this works, complain to Stern if you want it to work differently.

Because you were replying to a hypothethical question about changing their offer - Not just what they have offered genius.

#1428 7 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

No, for personal games you just register the game by just scanning the code from your profile. But you must COMPLETE the registration of the game on in your profile on the website before IC will be operational for scanning in players.

#1429 7 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Not that simple.. as the QR reader connects to the game via a Stern Node board. So they got the proprietary angle covered...

#1430 7 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe you are right? But who knows? We’ll find out soon enough, so why keep deliberately spreading misinformation?

Misinformation huh? $200! SUCK IT!

#1431 7 months ago

Anyone have a cliff notes summary of George’s IC discussion today? Got to imagine there isn’t two hours of news there.

#1432 7 months ago

Any good operator features implemented yet?

#1433 7 months ago

I got a Godzilla LE and I was excited to use connect.
    It’s easy for my friends and I to keep track of who’s turn it is,
    But hard to swap places after a game.
    Works pretty smooth for a launch.
    I hope it allows friends to chat and play remotely.

#1434 7 months ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Anyone have a cliff notes summary of George’s IC discussion today? Got to imagine there isn’t two hours of news there.
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"0facd949c13c4c4294e9f4b5a0dadfa2abae127d-1634872607-1800"};
    //]]>

https://sternpinball.com/2021/10/21/connect-all-lcd-commercial-stern-pinball-machines-with-stern-pinballs-insider-connected-upgrade-kits/

That was the big news. Other discussions were more of the same.

#1435 7 months ago
    Quoted from jfh:

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"c34e191caa26afb46e8ac80049bca4af5006cdbc-1634878494-1800"};
    //]]>

My takeaways were he still seems big on promotions… including ones sponsored by stern directly. Talked enough it seems more than “we could…” And is more about when then if.

He left the door open that not all spike2 games are going to get the same level of code additions when they get added… mentioning the limitations of titles they haven’t renewed the contracts on. Basically talking about games that are more popular and likely to be made more of would get more attention.

$200 for the upgrade kits… but didnt talk about price variations even tho pre/le won’t include a full apron. Some models of course require a new apron (beatles, elvira, batman, etc)

Kits in November- prioritizing operators. Did not address why there can’t be sold in volume yet… but people infer supply chain.

Said the core services are really going to be delivered in stages throughout 2022. Makes it sound like their immediate roadmap is outlined to be where they want it by end of 2022

Gomez will have a game out of his own in 2022

Sounds like forums are coming near start of the year.

Talked up alot more digital avatar/badge stuff that is coming soon.

Talked about badges or achievements that would be tied to geographic stuff. Like Godzilla destroys la… that you could only get by playing in LA area…

Got bored and tuned out. Probably more in there

#1436 7 months ago
    Quoted from Pinball-NJA:

I got a Godzilla LE and I was excited to use connect.
    It’s easy for my friends and I to keep track of who’s turn it is,
    But hard to swap places after a game.
    Works pretty smooth for a launch.
    I hope it allows friends to chat and play remotely.

Flippers move the slots of people already scanned in… or hold left? Flipper to dump everyone.

Those are the quick shortcuts (also in text on screen)

#1437 7 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

$200 for the upgrade kits… but didnt talk about price variations even tho pre/le won’t include a full apron.

They said multiple times in the stream and in the stern blog that pro and prem/le is the same cost even though pro will have a replacement plastic apron.

#1438 7 months ago
    Quoted from gblack:

They said multiple times in the stream and in the stern blog that pro and prem/le is the same cost even though pro will have a replacement plastic apron.

Maybe they're using the ones that don't require an apron to subsidize those that DO need an apron to keep the price down?

#1439 7 months ago
    Quoted from gblack:

Thx - did not hear that in the parts I listened to.

Where is stern blogging now? Or is that referring to some insider web post?

#1440 7 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Thx - did not hear that in the parts I listened to.
    Where is stern blogging now? Or is that referring to some insider web post?

This was live on Marco's Twitch channel yesterday at 3 PM

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1183078563

#1441 7 months ago

excuse my ignorance, but why is a code reader or extra hardware needed for this insider stuff. JJP uses scorbit and you need nothing more than a wifi dongle, and it works on older games like the hobbit, just need to update your software.

#1442 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

excuse my ignorance, but why is a code reader or extra hardware needed for this insider stuff. JJP uses scorbit and you need nothing more than a wifi dongle, and it works on older games like the hobbit, just need to update your software.

Because that's how Stern chose to implement their system. No other reason.

#1443 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

One of the points George made in the Marco stream yesterday was that the QR reader was partially motivated by the fact that it's kind of "in your face" and attracts a little more attention than the alternative solution (I'll call it the flynnibus solution since he's posted about it in here for weeks) that doesn't require additional hardware.

After seeing/playing a Godzilla with the reader last weekend I think I agree with him on that one. Lots of folks I know won't take time to read instruction cards or even read what's on the LCD. The QR reader attracts the eye and primes you to ask "what the hell is this?" whereas a passive QR code solution wouldn't.

Idk if all that *fully* rationalizes the additional hardware cost, but I do agree with the principle of "attention-getting" that George cited as a key motivator.

#1444 7 months ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Because that's how Stern chose to implement their system. No other reason.

well, good for them, but not for the consumer. I won't be adding hardware or this system to any of my games.

#1445 7 months ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

One of the points George made in the Marco stream yesterday was that the QR reader was partially motivated by the fact that it's kind of "in your face" and attracts a little more attention than the alternative solution (I'll call it the flynnibus solution since he's posted about it in here for weeks) that doesn't require additional hardware.
    After seeing/playing a Godzilla with the reader last weekend I think I agree with him on that one. Lots of folks I know won't take time to read instruction cards or even read what's on the LCD. The QR reader attracts the eye and prime you to ask "what the hell is this?" whereas a passive QR code solution wouldn't.
    Idk all that *fully* rationalizes the additional hardware cost, but I do agree with the principle of "attention-getting" that George cited as a key motivator.

perhaps a splash screen when you press start could inform you that you can connect to the game with brief instruction on the screen and then you have to press start a second time to start the game, which could force you to look at the screen. Could be disabled in the menus for home games. I don't like the intrusiveness and look of the QR nor the hardware requirements to connect. Plus, the Scorbit app works really well. The industry has never played nice across manufacturers, but perhaps in this instance, there was a good opportunity missed to do so.

#1446 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

perhaps a splash screen when you press start could inform you that you can connect to the game with brief instruction on the screen and then you have to press start a second time to start the game, which could force you to look at the screen. Could be disabled in the menus for home games. I don't like the intrusiveness and look of the QR nor the hardware requirements to connect. Plus, the Scorbit app works really well. The industry has never played nice across manufacturers, but perhaps in this instance, there was a good opportunity missed to do so.

Yep, I know what you mean. I'm sure they discussed the "no hardware" approach at some point in their development and steered away from it for a reason. I think Stern chose the route they saw as "most likely to get people to sign up and use it," which unfortunately for some folks requires undesired hardware and cost. More unfortunately, it also means there will be Spike 2 machines in the wild whose operators don't want to add the hardware to... and therefore players won't be able to utilize Insider Connected on them.

FWIW I found the experience to be really smooth on the Godzilla I played-- enough to want a retrofit for my Batman '66 at home. Achievements and score tracking and whatnot were a cool experience. I'm for it, and hope the machines in my area are retrofitted. I'm honestly more likely to go play at locations near me if I know they're going to have IC. Breathes new life into those machines for me.

#1447 7 months ago
    Quoted from SimpleSkin:

This was live on Marco's Twitch channel yesterday at 3 PM
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1183078563

Yes I know that... which is why I said 'in the parts I listened to..."

The interview is nearly 2hrs long and isn't exactly a bullet list of release notes. I skipped around some when they rambled for so long on different things.

What i was asking was what BLOG post he was referring to.

#1448 7 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes I know that... which is why I said 'in the parts I listened to..."
    The interview is nearly 2hrs long and isn't exactly a bullet list of release notes. I skipped around some when they rambled for so long on different things.
    What i was asking was what BLOG post he was referring to.

https://sternpinball.com/2021/10/21/connect-all-lcd-commercial-stern-pinball-machines-with-stern-pinballs-insider-connected-upgrade-kits/

#1449 7 months ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Achievements and score tracking and whatnot were a cool experience. I'm for it, and hope the machines in my area are retrofitted. I'm honestly more likely to go play at locations near me if I know they're going to have IC. Breathes new life into those machines for me.

so if this is what you want out of the system (which is the same that I want and I think it's a cool innovation that JJP started), i don't understand what stern is trying to achieve or how this generates revenue for them. It would be much simpler to go with just a software route, like scorbit. when I log in to the insider account it asks me if I want to upgrade my account, which I am not doing because to me I don't see any benefit to it. I seriously doubt any casual player at a location is going to do anything more than register a basic account because all we really want to do is track scores and compete with friends. Like you and others have said, stern likely has their reasons for doing what they did, but the need to retrofit older games to me does not seem like the way to go with expensive hardware. sorry for beating a dead horse.

#1450 7 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Like you and others have said, stern likely has their reasons for doing what they did, but the need to retrofit older games to me does not seem like the way to go with expensive hardware. sorry for beating a dead horse.

Not sure why Stern wouldn't offer a non-QR reader workflow for Insider Connect. Would allow people with pre-Insider Connect pins to just buy a wifi dongle for $20 to get the Insider Connect features, and would provide an alternative workflow for if/when a QR reader on location is broken. Maybe that is on the roadmap for the future.

While I think it would be fun to have achievements, spending a $1000.00 to upgrade my existing pins to Connect is not something I am going to do.

There are 3,070 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!