Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,851 posts - Hot topic!
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by TinyBlackDog
  • Topic is favorited by 128 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A97F67D-0C90-4BF0-BF3A-D42D19C14F2C (resized).jpeg
    5842314B-7777-414E-98F6-3789A0AEA498 (resized).jpeg
    8C2232E9-6E74-41D7-B896-39BD7121304E (resized).jpeg
    FD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpeg
    9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1437 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1435 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1436 (resized).jpg
    0F95DC87-F270-4CA1-A9E1-E8CE3F157E55 (resized).jpeg
    F2E64716-8051-4C90-B3BD-C2B24E93A28C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0745 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.54.57 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.48.25 (resized).png
    B2D63D6A-CB3C-4CCC-B950-C0DD3182F524 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,851 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 38.
    #1101 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Promotions are good - yes.
    Adding $200 to every game to enable promotions that I can't track the success of - Not good.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not paying an extra $200 for my machine today either.. but now I will be.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Instead... 'please pay $200 a game when everyone around you has a super computer in their pocket'

There's no getting around the $200 cost, that's true. But promotions aren't the only value you're expected to get out of the hardware. To require every individual feature of the hardware to be "worth $200" is unreasonable and you're going to be impossible to please if that's your way of framing it. It is but one potential launch feature of a platform we're told will be expanded substantially in the future.

Quoted from flynnibus:

The point is by requiring the system to be functional without a co-resident app, you cripple the potentials. On top of that, insult to injury, you're asking me to pay extra for this 'benefit' which really is an inferior solution for some petty use cases that are easily covered if you accept the app setup friction. A compromise that is COMMONPLACE everywhere else.
    Want that coupon at the grocery store? enroll
    Want that McDonalds promo? enroll
    Want that gas discount? enroll
    Want that 20% coupon from that webstore before you buy? enroll
    Yes, setting up an app is some initial friction - but it's common place. Heck, you could even allow the app to work WITHOUT ENROLLMENT for some things.

Honestly, why not both? Why not allow standalone QR coupons that don't require enrollment AND allow them to be deposited into your user profile? Then operators like you can choose the one that works best for you? I think we're both talking about different target demographics anyway, which may be the problem.

Quoted from flynnibus:

See prior list of issues with static QR codes.. they basically become currency you have to manage

Quoted from flynnibus:

Again you're tying value to the codes... they now become some form of token currency to manage and not usable.

More to manage, but also targeted "bait" to attract new players to your machines. If you give out tokens or quarters, those can go to any other machine in the arcade/barcade. The QR code is uniquely stern pinball and I think that benefits the operator who wants to see those coins going into his pinball machines, or see a non-pinball person grudgingly put some time on a machine. Best case scenario, they get the pinball bug and start pumping in their own $$.

Isn't that whole idea of coupons, to give something away in expectation of something in return? "Might as well go get my free McChicken sandwich.. and I'll throw a couple bucks in of my own for a drink and some fries."

#1102 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So what's the purpose of the QR reader on the game if I need some means to get the QR code from the screen to the game?

The point is that it’s a quick zap to “log you in” and track your accomplishments without having to do a long convoluted sign in process every time you play pinball. One zap, it knows what game you’re on & your previous history with that game. The idea is that when you step up to that game, you’re already signed up. It’s a simple & elegant solution to this trophy/social concept, IMO.

#1103 57 days ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

I like your architecture, and think it makes sense for folks who care enough to go through the registration process... but I also think you're over-estimating how likely a "non pinball" person is to go through that many steps to play a pinball machine they wouldn't have dropped $1 of their own money in anyway. "Receive a coupon, scan a coupon, play a game" is just way simpler in my opinion. Is it the fanciest, slickest, most secure implementation? Definitely not. But it also doesn't have to be. Sometimes simpler is better imo.

This ^ Even if someone loves pinball, or loves your venue, the friction of having to download an app, make a profile yada yada, just to redeem a free game would be a non starter for a lot of people. We have Scorbit on a few games locally, many of our die hards don't care and some that do have run into usability issues getting the app to associate your score and such. I think Scorbit is a fine platform but this is a similar kind of friction.

And to flynnibus's point of the bartender giving out quarters to accomplish the same thing. Whats to stop the patron from spending that elsewhere. You are literally giving money away for free vs giving away a promotion that you control away for free. I can't put that QR code into a snack machine, but I can quarters.

#1104 57 days ago

Is there an app to access your QR code quickly with, or are we just saving a screen shot of the QR code and using it?

#1105 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Is there an app to access your QR code quickly with, or are we just saving a screen shot of the QR code and using it?

Presumably this will be on the app as we've seen this in videos. Until then you can find your code on your Insider Connected profile on their website and save it to your phone. Or print it out.

#1106 57 days ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Forum comes out 1/1/2022
    -talk with players and stern team members.

Talk with Stern team members? Grand opening: 1/1/2022; Grand closing: 1/2/2022.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

There will be an app

All disregard my previous post.

I'm signed up. They made me capitalize Gambit. I don't like that.

#1107 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

No app, as of yet. Access the insider.sternpinball.com site from your phone, login and press the button that displays your code. Saving a screenshot would help speed it up, I'm sure.

#1108 57 days ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Presumably this will be on the app as we've seen this in videos. Until then you can find your code on your Insider Connected profile on their website and save it to your phone. Or print it out.

Print it out? So should I stop this QR code tattoo that is already in progress?

#1109 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I'd say that you should post a photo when done, but, you know, security of your account and all...

#1110 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I would, cause what if you reset your QR code at a later time (this is functional in your profile)? I guess you'd still have a gnarly lookin tattoo. Up to you tho

#1111 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I just created a browser shortcut on my Home Screen that takes you directly to insider.sternpinball.com. I named it Stern Insider. One click and I am there.

#1112 57 days ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I'd say that you should post a photo when done, but, you know, security of your account and all...

I thought of that before I started, luckily. So it's going on a butt cheek and I'm heavily invested in those ass-flap long underwear now.

#1113 57 days ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

I just created a browser shortcut on my Home Screen that takes you directly to insider.sternpinball.com. I named it Stern Insider. One click and I am there.

Yeah, but when the network goes down you'll be looking at a DNS Error and missing out while I'm racking up sweet points with my printed out QR code.

#1114 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Yeah, but when the network goes down you'll be looking at a DNS Error and missing out while I'm racking up sweet points with my printed out QR code.

Not if it is the same network that the pinball machine is connected to.

#1115 57 days ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

Not if it is the same network that the pinball machine is connected to.

Well, in that case we are both screwed, buddy. We can make origami with my printed out code at that point. Or write a strongly worded letter to Gary Stern on the back about his shoddy servers. I got you.

#1116 57 days ago

The account transfer flow seems to be working fine now. I just made a new account with same email address as before. Once complete it said: "Your account is verified. Your Stern Insider All-Access Account has been transferred. Please log in."

#1117 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Or write a strongly worded letter to Gary Stern on the back about his shoddy servers. I got you.

pasted_image (resized).png

#1118 57 days ago
    Quoted from ctl723:

The account transfer flow seems to be working fine now. I just made a new account with same email address as before. Once complete it said: "Your account is verified. Your Stern Insider All-Access Account has been transferred. Please log in."

It's a shame they didn't think to enable this before going live with registrations. I'm sending an email to get them to manually link it now.

#1119 57 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why do you keep saying this (over and over and over and over and over)?
    Do you know something we don't?

The price increase is tied to IC availability - This is known
    Existing games will need to be retrofit to leverage the system - This is known
    Stern will be charging for the kids to retrofit the games - This is known

Take offense with the number if you want - but you can't be believing it's going to be free, and Stern at this point is making the kit the mandatory way people engage the game.

#1120 57 days ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

There's no getting around the $200 cost, that's true.

But that's the point - the cost isn't necessary!! It's only necessary because Stern chose this path and I've been saying "Show me the use case that justifies that choice". Because I don't see it... every potential they have shown can be done equally or BETTER with an app.. and the few 'no phone' scenarios that have been brought up I'd argue don't justify the expense for what is bound to be a very small use case. Instead, we burden EVERY game with that choice.

Quoted from JStoltz:

But promotions aren't the only value you're expected to get out of the hardware. To require every individual feature of the hardware to be "worth $200" is unreasonable and you're going to be impossible to please if that's your way of framing it. It is but one potential launch feature of a platform we're told will be expanded substantially in the future.

See above - justify the hardware... the scenarios proposed here don't need it and actually HINDER the platform by not linking these things to profiles.. or driving adoption.

Quoted from JStoltz:

Honestly, why not both? Why not allow standalone QR coupons that don't require enrollment AND allow them to be deposited into your user profile? Then operators like you can choose the one that works best for you? I think we're both talking about different target demographics anyway, which may be the problem.

Stern isn't giving you this choice - you have to buy into the scanner approach because it's the only way they are allowing players to engage.

Quoted from JStoltz:

More to manage, but also targeted "bait" to attract new players to your machines. If you give out tokens or quarters, those can go to any other machine in the arcade/barcade.

Managable risk. It's gonna take a lot of pocket loss to outpace the upfront and GUARUNTEED sunk cost of the scanner system. Besides, to each person it's a dollar.. it's not like they are gonna turn around and be like "oh I can take vacation now instead...". Money in hand is readily spent. Give a kid .50c and say 'pick a game play'... the vast majority are gonna run over and play. Not pocket it and be like 'eventually, I'll be able to buy that pack of gum!"

The whole point of giving away credits is to lure people into playing more. If you can't quantify the results, you're less likely to keep doing it. The more insight you have into what is working and why - the more intelligent your decisions will be. By not tying your promotions to individuals, you give up a ton.

Quoted from JStoltz:

Isn't that whole idea of coupons, to give something away in expectation of something in return? "Might as well go get my free McChicken sandwich.. and I'll throw a couple bucks in of my own for a drink and some fries."

And if you pay attention, you see everyone asking for more and more in return to get those freebies. Because knowledge is power, and access is king. As a business owner I want not just your $1 today, but the potential to get many more dollars from you as time goes on.

Stern Insider has the potential to enable that... but if we focus on 'free credits will increase coin drop!' we're talking 1970s promotions, not 2021 enablement.

#1121 57 days ago
    Quoted from ctl723:

Interestingly, this did not work for me when I tried it a few moments ago. Though I am not sure if it's because I recently purchased Stern Insider All-Access two weeks ago, so it is possible that the information wasn't included in their migration.

Will have to reach out to them.

#1122 57 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The point is that it’s a quick zap to “log you in” and track your accomplishments without having to do a long convoluted sign in process every time you play pinball. One zap, it knows what game you’re on & your previous history with that game. The idea is that when you step up to that game, you’re already signed up. It’s a simple & elegant solution to this trophy/social concept, IMO.

You didn't read his post - His post was the codes would be displayed on the screen instead of having them on paper.

If I need a phone to get that code, and then move that code to the scanner... what did the scanner save me vs already having to have a phone to participate? Opening an app?

Have you noticed most apps open without requiring you to sign in every time?
    Have you noticed apps that can function without any sign-in at all?
    How often do you carry around loyalty cards anymore vs having a simple sign-in or app?

The whole point is this scanner is completely unnecessary for the use cases outlined.. and there are so many better solutions that wouldn't require ANY new hardware but internet connection.

The free play scenario? I could do much better with this scenario...

I could make a simple paper sign and hang in the arcade that says "Text RARE12 to 202-555-1222 to get our app and get 5 free game credits for joining!" - and have players text, get a SMS back with app store links to open the app.. and just using their phone identifiers or phone numbers enable them for non-authenticated use and give them 5 free play credits in the app where all they have to do is scan the QR code of the game to redeem each of the credits. And because of the identifier, I can limit reuse. And now that they have the app, but no profile yet, I can offer them other promos to actually enroll and create a profile.

Here I've lured the customer into giving me tracking info... I've given them some free play in return.. I've convinced them to install the app.. maybe we've even gotten them to enroll... AND IT DIDN"T REQUIRE ANY SCANNER ON THE GAME.

Take this scenario and tweak it many ways if you want... let them scan a code instead of SMS... have a simple promo-code that is re-usable, but because it only allows it to be used once per phone identifier, you keep it from being an abuse issue. etc etc.

The friction is getting people to have the app and creating a profile - not 'signing in' etc. That's a nothing-burger. These issues can be improved with other means without thinking people are going to print out their QR code or resort to giving up the app entirely.

#1123 57 days ago

FWIW - account creation that failed yesterday with 'domain invalid' errors are working correctly today...

and when you 'make stats visible to others' you also share not just your nickname/avatar but your full name and 'location'

Following others is 1-way at this point.. you follow their stats, but they don't see your follow or follow you back automatically.

#1124 57 days ago

so I signed up online, but cant find the app in the itunes store?

#1125 57 days ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

so I signed up online, but cant find the app in the itunes store?

There isn’t an app… yet. Go to insider.sternpinball.com on your phones web browser.

#1126 57 days ago
    Quoted from Insanity199:

There isn’t an app… yet. Go to insider.sternpinbll.com on your phones web browser.

ah thanks

#1127 57 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Tried to log on and the Stern website said that my password was invalid for a password that has previously worked for probably several months. There was a click button to reset the password and when I pushed that button, the system said that it sent me an email to reset my password, but that email never showed up as far as I can tell.

Ditto. Stern, are you reading this?

#1128 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

FWIW - account creation that failed yesterday with 'domain invalid' errors are working correctly today...
    and when you 'make stats visible to others' you also share not just your nickname/avatar but your full name and 'location'
    Following others is 1-way at this point.. you follow their stats, but they don't see your follow or follow you back automatically.

Yeah I saw that too. I think I could do without the full name being included, or at least an option to hide it.

#1129 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You didn't read his post - His post was the codes would be displayed on the screen instead of having them on paper.
    If I need a phone to get that code, and then move that code to the scanner... what did the scanner save me vs already having to have a phone to participate? Opening an app?
    Have you noticed most apps open without requiring you to sign in every time?
    Have you noticed apps that can function without any sign-in at all?
    How often do you carry around loyalty cards anymore vs having a simple sign-in or app?
    The whole point is this scanner is completely unnecessary for the use cases outlined.. and there are so many better solutions that wouldn't require ANY new hardware but internet connection."

Having a QR code to give to a route location owner to play with game volume is a fine solution instead of having to drive out to a location and playing with it

Quoted from flynnibus:

The free play scenario? I could do much better with this scenario...
    I could make a simple paper sign and hang in the arcade that says "Text RARE12 to 202-555-1222 to get our app and get 5 free game credits for joining!" - and have players text, get a SMS back with app store links to open the app.. and just using their phone identifiers or phone numbers enable them for non-authenticated use and give them 5 free play credits in the app where all they have to do is scan the QR code of the game to redeem each of the credits. And because of the identifier, I can limit reuse. And now that they have the app, but no profile yet, I can offer them other promos to actually enroll and create a profile.

Here I've lured the customer into giving me tracking info... I've given them some free play in return.. I've convinced them to install the app.. maybe we've even gotten them to enroll... AND IT DIDN"T REQUIRE ANY SCANNER ON THE GAME.
    Take this scenario and tweak it many ways if you want... let them scan a code instead of SMS... have a simple promo-code that is re-usable, but because it only allows it to be used once per phone identifier, you keep it from being an abuse issue. etc etc.
    The friction is getting people to have the app and creating a profile - not 'signing in' etc. That's a nothing-burger. These issues can be improved with other means without thinking people are going to print out their QR code or resort to giving up the app entirely.

Why stop there why not have a calling card? Sadly google shut down text message based searching a few years ago. Everyone has a smartphone. Operators are incentivized to sign people up for insider connected. You can generate a new unique QR code if you lose it.

#1130 57 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

The previous insider account you had is separate to the new insider. Stern will send an email out soon (they said) that will help you merge/transition the two.

#1131 57 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Yes they put out info regarding migration of accounts. No links for this yet.

#1132 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

This above scenario is easier for me, as the location owner, to set up, versus printing out a QR code and handing that to the customer?

Also, what is the alternative to the scenario above that allowed the bartender to turn the volume up or down using a QR code only?

#1133 57 days ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Also, what is the alternative to the scenario above that allowed the bartender to turn the volume up or down using a QR code only?

Quoted from Blindseer:

Having a QR code to give to a route location owner to play with game volume is a fine solution instead of having to drive out to a location and playing with it

Another solution you could solve with online access. I mean, yes, dummy cards are nice.. but is it worth $200 PER GAME instead of giving your location a simple app or webpage to do the same thing? Or something they could have solved with flipper codes or sequences FOR FREE?

#1134 57 days ago
    Quoted from dri:

The previous insider account you had is separate to the new insider. Stern will send an email out soon (they said) that will help you merge/transition the two.

Oh crap I just created a new one. Now I'm double screwed.

Speaking on behalf of idiots, they could've made this a bit more idiot proof. People don't read stuff.

#1135 57 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Oh crap I just created a new one. Now I'm double screwed.

I'm in the same boat as you and probably the rest of the Internet.

#1136 57 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Today, the news is different...
    I can confirm that if you already have All-Access and go to create a "new" account now with the same email address, it'll automatically associate the two accounts and carry over your subscription.
    I entered the required information with my initials, an icon and such and got a confirmation email to click on a link to activate it.
    The key thing is that I was able to print my QR code that fits in my wallet from the insider menus there.
    There is a discussion forum on the Stern insider area that is not yet active.
    You have an option to upgrade to "Insider Connected" for $39.99 per year, but it is not required to print out your QR code.
    The code is on a dotted area on the paper that can be cut out and the cut out portion fits in your wallet.

#1137 57 days ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Gomez said some team members have it stored in the Wallet app on their iPhones.

#1138 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

but is it worth $200 PER GAME instead of giving your location a simple app or webpage to do the same thing?

Are you suggesting Stern would provide that functionality for individual locations? Like, an admin console, that I manage, and can set up users and permissions per game, and do password resets, and monitor when employees get fired from locations so that I can delete their user account, etc, etc.

Versus handing them a QR code.

#1139 57 days ago

mine automatically transferred over so it seems to be working. Went with HOTSAUCE as a Username.

#1140 57 days ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Are you suggesting Stern would provide that functionality for individual locations? Like, an admin console, that I manage, and can set up users and permissions per game, and do password resets, and monitor when employees get fired from locations so that I can delete their user account, etc, etc.
    Versus handing them a QR code.

I would never give them individual accounts. I'm suggesting a simple approach to the problem is the idea of delegated access. Same way you as an Operator may want to give employees limited-access to your features. You could create a location account they could use locally and manage as needed. (all things you can do from your couch...). You could even give them a magic QR code to login!

If you only give them volume controls just how worried are you about 'rogue' use? Are you equally worried about having to create NEW QR codes every time you figure out someone is playing with your location by copying the code or a former employee is doing the same?

Low exposure here, and easy fix if exploited. Besides, it would be functionality built upon other things you need (delegated admins).

Or like I said, if it's such a necessary feature (volume toggle) why isn't it built into the game as it sits today? Operator defined button/flipper sequence to enable a toggle of profiles where the operator defines what the profiles are.

I'd rather configure some settings and teach them "Hold action button, tap right flipper 3 times to enable quiet mode" then I would paying $200 for volume controls.

#1141 57 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Today, the news is different...
    I can confirm that if you already have All-Access and go to create a "new" account now with the same email address, it'll automatically associate the two accounts and carry over your subscription.
    I entered the required information with my initials, an icon and such and got a confirmation email to click on a link to activate it.
    The key thing is that I was able to print my QR code that fits in my wallet from the insider menus there.
    There is a discussion forum on the Stern insider area that is not yet active.
    You have an option to upgrade to "Insider Connected" for $39.99 per year, but it is not required to print out your QR code.
    The code is on a dotted area on the paper that can be cut out and the cut out portion fits in your wallet.

I think you should already have e the upgrade.

#1142 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Or like I said, if it's such a necessary feature (volume toggle) why isn't it built into the game as it sits today? Operator defined button/flipper sequence to enable a toggle of profiles where the operator defines what the profiles are.
    I'd rather configure some settings and teach them "Hold action button, tap right flipper 3 times to enable quiet mode" then I would paying $200 for volume controls.

Would this be a standard button combo? If so word will get out and people will mute audio or crank it crazy high. Would it be operator specified? Do you really think a rotating staff at a bar is gonna want to remember button combinations to accomplish this kind of stuff regardless if it were standard or custom button combos?

I do not disagree that this is all possible without QR codes but it is much less convenient that what was discussed in yesterdays presentation.

#1143 57 days ago

I partner with the local novelty gift shop down the street. When people come in and buy a godzilla plushie, they get a QR code with it. The code is limited use to one free game, and each one is unique. They can visit that day, later in the week, or give it to their grandchild who they know wants to try out pinball. It could expire in a month or even a year.

They dont have to download anything, or even have a phone.

That's one of the things I hope I can do with this system.

#1144 57 days ago

Experienced a bit of frustration trying to login with old email/pass. Creating a new account with the same old email/pass was the answer.

Exciting to see the achievements lists. Most for Black Knight don't look too daunting; beating the knight is a tough one. Jurassic Park has a slew of achievements that look like a ton of fun; the Goat Mania achievement may require a machine with the topper. Can't wait to see tournament options with this. Any idea if Pinside will allow us to display/connect our stats within our profile?

A few of the achievements for Black Knight SOR;

BKSORinCon (resized).jpg
    #1145 57 days ago

I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve noticed dozens people on the ole Facebook feed proudly showing off their insider accounts.

So, endless bitching aside, seems like the launch has been a pretty big success so far. People seem to be into it!

#1146 57 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Another solution you could solve with online access. I mean, yes, dummy cards are nice.. but is it worth $200 PER GAME instead of giving your location a simple app or webpage to do the same thing? Or something they could have solved with flipper codes or sequences FOR FREE?

who said its $200 for operators? they said low cost for operators because we will have to buy multiple ones and we will be a bigger part of the initial rollout but no cost has been discussed. Also customers like flashy and techy stuff. Could they have done a scorebit style system? Sure but its not as polished as what stern is offering. Im excited for the system and will be signing up everyone i can. We will probably give away free games to incentivize repeat plays. From what they told us at the meeting it has great earnings potential.

#1147 57 days ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Would this be a standard button combo? If so word will get out and people will mute audio or crank it crazy high.

No - check it again.. "Operator defined button/flipper sequence to enable a toggle of profiles where the operator defines what the profiles are."

Operator defined sequence - this gives you some security through obscurity and basically try to avoid people accidentally triggering the profile toggle.

You don't need to give them direct control over volume - you're enable the ability to swap between sets of settings (profiles) the Operator defines as sets. This way you really are only enabling the switching between pre-approved settings. You have a 'day' and a 'night' profile and you define the sequence that triggers the toggle. Because it's pre-set groups, you really aren't concerned with security... this is about convenience.

This is not hard thinking for Stern....

Just saying if this was so important - there are easier ways to get there. It will be a nice perk with what they have shown with IC - I just don't think it justifies the architectural choices.

#1148 57 days ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Would this be a standard button combo? If so word will get out and people will mute audio or crank it crazy high. Would it be operator specified? Do you really think a rotating staff at a bar is gonna want to remember button combinations to accomplish this kind of stuff regardless if it were standard or custom button combos?
    I do not disagree that this is all possible without QR codes but it is much less convenient that what was discussed in yesterdays presentation.

Like everything else this will be handed to the owner of the location. You can set max volume separately and if it gets lost or abused then you can probably disable the qr code. But the operator will control what the person can access similar to a valet key.

#1149 57 days ago

It's working great!

Screenshot_20211007-201142_Edge (resized).jpg
    #1150 57 days ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

who said its $200 for operators? they said low cost for operators because we will have to buy multiple ones and we will be a bigger part of the initial rollout but no cost has been discussed.

The price increase on titles is there already - so you've already paid the uplift on your Godzilla... and you're going to pay it on any re-run games you have on order too.
    Two, I keep using the $200 ballpark because 1) IC is what Stern keeps justifying their new price lift with 2) We have some basic references with existing parts.
    It's a placeholder value... and I bet it's not that far off (my initial bet was $150+.. but I'm thinking more especially with the custom apron games)

'low cost' is relative. You really think Stern is gonna sell these below their typical margins? I don't. $150-$200 is 'low cost' in Stern's world of inflated parts.

There are 1,851 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 38.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside