B79FE22D-D333-43B1-BB88-007E1D6D9EC0_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
786BDDC7-FF68-4737-8EF1-4C19FA258F13 (resized).jpeg
stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 124.
#1001 2 years ago

I am pretty excited for Connect, gives me a chance to play against my mates who are 2+ hours away from me on a regular basis, I also think the achievements are a great idea and incentive while adding more objective based depth to a game on top of the games physical high score tables.

The only real question I have a round Connect is the retro fitting of it, Godzilla was designed around it so the apron and artwork fit nicely around its integration especially the LE, but how will it look on older games? I would like to see new art apron packages from Stern included in the Connect or make them an additional product at a reasonable price and I would buy Connect Apron Art to go with my connect.

#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I guess as long as All Access stays at $40 a year it's not a real big cost...but still...

Just think, by NOT subbing to Insider, you could buy a new $9K pin every 1̶8̶.̶7̶5̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶!̶ 225 years!... they'll still be $9K in 2246, right?

Another way to look at this is dividing $9000 by $40 for the % of the cost.

A $9 burger. Will I pay $0.004 for the extra cheese? Yes. If the extra cheese investment makes you pause, maybe a $9 burger isn't a wise financial decision for you right now.

#1003 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Just think, by NOT subbing to Insider, you could buy a new $9K pin every 18.75 years!

It's worse than that! 18.75 years assumes you're paying $40/month.. it's more like a $9k pinball machine every 225 years if the $40 fee is annual.

Either way... to make this a food-gument ( ^ love the cheeseburger analogy): we're talking small potatoes in a big stew with the $40 fee.

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

it's more like a $9k pinball machine every 225 years if the $40 fee is annual.

fixing my post!

#1005 2 years ago

From the email today:

For all Stern Insider and All Access members, Insider Connected™ and Insider Connected™ All Access will be replacing the Stern Insider and Stern Insider All Access programs. On Wednesday, October 6th, 2021, you will be able to convert your existing Stern Insider or Stern Insider All Access account to Insider Connected™ or Insider Connected™ All Access. This conversion honors your existing membership at no additional cost. In the future, we will send Insider Kits, only to new members who have not previously been members of Stern Insider programs.

You will receive an email on Wednesday, October 6th, 2021 with a link to the new Insider Connected Web App that will allow you to convert your existing Insider account to an Insider Connected account. You will be guided through the conversion process, and new features will be available to you.

Get ready to join Insider Connected!

#1006 2 years ago

That's why I couldn't log-in to Insider All Access today...

#1007 2 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

That's why I couldn't log-in to Insider All Access today...

I had the same issue. Tried to log on and the Stern website said that my password was invalid for a password that has previously worked for probably several months. There was a click button to reset the password and when I pushed that button, the system said that it sent me an email to reset my password, but that email never showed up as far as I can tell. Now I see why...

#1008 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

$40 is really cheap, I am pleasantly surprised by how reasonable it is. I have no understanding of what people mean by paywalled content? Is the expectation that everything should be free forever? This functionality didn't exist for many of the pins that support it. Is that still considered paywalled?

$40 /year player and op's fees per game are??

#1009 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I had the same issue. Tried to log on and the Stern website said that my password was invalid for a password that has previously worked for probably several months. There was a click button to reset the password and when I pushed that button, the system said that it sent me an email to reset my password, but that email never showed up as far as I can tell. Now I see why...

Yes, they changed the main login button to be the insider connected login. However, if you go to this page, you can still login. I encountered this situation yesterday.

https://sternpinball.com/account/login/

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

$40 /year player and op's fees per game are??

Zero Dollars!! The idea is the Ops put the game out and then it is available for all the players out there.
Smart move, or very few games will be connected, and nobody will renew the subscriptions.(ops or players)

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Will I pay $0.004 for the extra cheese?

How do you do that exactly? Dremel down a penny?

#1012 2 years ago

You pay a penny and receive $0.006 in return. Easy!

#1013 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

How do you do that exactly? Dremel down a penny?

Nah, it's just a penny from 2019

#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Nah, it's just a penny from 2019

Burn! Well done.

#1015 2 years ago

Has anyone been able to sign up? I can't get it to let me register.

#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

Still broken.
Are they doing like a press briefing?

#1017 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

"You will receive an email on Wednesday, October 6th, 2021 with a link to the new Insider Connected Web App that will allow you to convert your existing Insider account to an Insider Connected account. You will be guided through the conversion process, and new features will be available to you."

#1018 2 years ago

Can’t get it to work either!

#1019 2 years ago

No email yet

#1020 2 years ago

I was just able to create an account and got verified. There is a username associated with your profile....

#1021 2 years ago

I just signed up successfully. I did not receive an email.

#1022 2 years ago

I guess I'll wait for the email since I'm not sure how they transfer the old Insider membership otherwise...

#1023 2 years ago

Tried to sign into my existing free insider account and that didn't work. Signed up for a new free insider connected account and that worked fine. Went ahead and did the upgrade for the all access. Got the confirmation email, but my account still says free. I'm sure it'll take a bit to update.

#1024 2 years ago

Is there an app for IC for the iPhone? I can’t find one.

#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Is there an app for IC for the iPhone? I can’t find one.

My understanding, no app. Just go to insider.sternpinball.com on your phone.

#1026 2 years ago

Yay! I’m in! My existing username is registered probably from when I flubbed the system, but I changed it slightly and it worked!

BCD1EE8B-F153-4F25-B8A2-2B40EF9A5B99.pngBCD1EE8B-F153-4F25-B8A2-2B40EF9A5B99.png
#1027 2 years ago

I also am in.

I can't wait to use this thing that I dismissed upon announcement as completely useless and undeserving of my interest!

#1028 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I also am in.
I can't wait to use this thing that I dismissed upon announcement as completely useless and undeserving of my interest!

I’m gonna do it first, so get in line!
80 second after logging in, I find the UI bad and the webpage lacking.
Account deactivated. Never looking at it again. 0/10

#1029 2 years ago

Hmm no more info on the retrofit kit yet. On the machines page all it says is "If you already own a Stern SPIKE 2 game, you will need a Wifi Retrofit Kit to connect to the Insider Connected system." without a link to where to purchase one.

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yay! I’m in! My existing username is registered probably from when I flubbed the system, but I changed it slightly and it worked!
[quoted image]

I see you had the same issue as me. Had to shorten my name to RC_Cola. Too many characters with the full username.

#1031 2 years ago

Notes from the insider connected webinar:

Forum comes out 1/1/2022
-talk with players and stern team members.

Achievements are unique to each game and are wildly different game to game.

There will be an app

Not sure on what paid accounts will have in terms of code in addition to typical code rollouts.

Not sure on price of kits. Supposed to be very cheap.

Lots of operator features:

Can set custom tournament settings and have them go live automatically based on certain days and times if you want.

Can make custom QR codes to give out for freeplay, challenges, or to allow someone access to certain game adjustments.

Tons of data to help with knowing issues, audits, when games are being played, etc.

Operator account is free, but that could change in the future. Basically if the operator accounts have tons of use and value, they will start to charge for it.

#1032 2 years ago

Can anybody use this on a pin today? Is there any reason or benefit to signing up if you don’t own a modern stern?

#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:Can anybody use this on a pin today? Is there any reason or benefit to signing up if you don’t own a modern stern?

Do you plan on playing on location? If so then yes. Also insider connected is replacing the older accounts.

#1034 2 years ago

Hmmm. Seems like a very narrow scope since it’s only modern stern pins. Some arcades here don’t have any of these pins. I use Pindigo and it’s no frills place to track online scores. I’m probably gonna try Scorbit as it covers many pins (they claimed Stern pins at one point, not sure if that’s still true). I just don’t want to have 5 apps to compete and track scores.

#1035 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure on price of kits. Supposed to be very cheap.

The thing Stern has been cooking for years... is post-announcement and facing down their own big reveal at expo and still can't name a price?? That screams "we don't know what we can get away with..." -- not someone committed to making it cheap. If you were commited to cheap, you'd be subsidizing - clearly they aren't. Remember, this is the same company selling $500 toppers... 'cheap' is a relative term.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can make custom QR codes to give out for freeplay, challenges, or to allow someone access to certain game adjustments.

Remember when people kept saying "nothing of value..." to hack?

How on earth is having a QR code anyone can pass around more secure then a simple authorization in the online system. Maybe Stern is investing in printer ink factories and thinks printing QR codes is the next big thing?

#1036 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The thing Stern has been cooking for years... is post-announcement and facing down their own big reveal at expo and still can't name a price?? That screams "we don't know what we can get away with..." -- not someone committed to making it cheap. If you were commited to cheap, you'd be subsidizing - clearly they aren't. Remember, this is the same company selling $500 toppers... 'cheap' is a relative term.

Remember when people kept saying "nothing of value..." to hack?
How on earth is having a QR code anyone can pass around more secure then a simple authorization in the online system. Maybe Stern is investing in printer ink factories and thinks printing QR codes is the next big thing?

Are you asking me these questions? I don’t have any of these answers. I suggest asking stern when their forum opens up.

#1037 2 years ago

Anyone know if we need the email link to convert our insider account or if just signing up does the trick?

#1038 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Anyone know if we need the email link to convert our insider account or if just signing up does the trick?

I think just signing up does the trick.

#1039 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Remember, this is the same company selling $500 toppers... 'cheap' is a relative term.

I just saw a thread on pinside selling a few plastics for Elvira for $300. People were loving them. Static plastics. No lights. No interaction with the game. A few plastic ramp/scoop/light cover. $300.

$300 for unlicensed 3D printed plastic. Pinside: "wow, what a great modding community we have!"

$500 for an officially licensed Stern topper, with LEDs, animatronics, and actual game integration. Pinside: "GARY STERN IS LITERALLY JEFF BEZOS!!!!"

#1040 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are you asking me these questions? I don’t have any of these answers. I suggest asking stern when their forum opens up.

statements - not questions

Stern Forum? Lol... moderation training straight from their facebook page

#1041 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think just signing up does the trick.

It didn't for me. It wants another 40.00.

#1042 2 years ago

Pay Up

B81E4180-4BE6-4E6F-8742-DFB72AF0481E.gifB81E4180-4BE6-4E6F-8742-DFB72AF0481E.gif
#1043 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Dunno about more secure, but from the webinar today each operator will be able to generate QR codes that can be used for all kinds of things above and beyond just identifying yourself.

An example was given where the owner/operator could generate a QR code to allow for the adjustment of certain settings that could be used by venue staff so you don't have to leave keys for the machine. Another example was to allow cross promotion, so say you buy a burger, your receipt comes with a QR code with an invitation to play a free game of pinball.

It all seems pretty vague at the moment and the tools are certainly operator centric.

Some more notes to add to the ones chuckwurt listed above.
- Operators will be able to make settings adjustments remotely

- There are 2 types of "currency" players can earn. Coins which are Stern's currency and Tokens that would be currency of the operator/location. Stern and the operator can set prizes in exchange for their currency.

- Remote play between 2 or more machines will be supported "soon"

- Tournament Management tools are coming. Integration with tournament platforms like MatchPlay is a possibility if there is enough demand. A question was asked about Scorbit integration and George said that would be for tournament data only.

- A question was asked if you can use the App to pay for games. Not out of the gate but it sounded like this is something they are working on which should be real interesting for Ops as Stern has got to be taking a cut of that.

- What is the difference between the Free and Paid tracks for players? Nothing right now but that will likely change as features roll out.

- The question of DLC were raised and George specifically said that "core" gameplay features will not be gated behind a paywall but there could be some fun non-essential additions. How that differs from say JP Topper DLC, I dunno.

- 6 games supported at launch. 17 by end of year. First 6 games supported will be Godzilla, EHOH, Jurassic Park, LZ, Black Knight and TMNT

- Badges can be earned for participating in certain events or locations. Play a Godzilla in Vancouver and get the "Vancouver Destroyed" badge. Play in a major tournament and get a badge for that tourney.

I was honestly hoping for more details but I am sure we will learn more at Expo where is sounds like Stern will be demoing this platform all weekend.

#1044 2 years ago

After that webinar connect sounds cool however here is my concern. They are definitely eventually going to charge. Let’s say i have 10 new sterns and the kit is $300 a game

That’s 3 grand to get all my games up and running. Then what? They decide to take 33% of revenue? Or maybe 10 a month per game? No thanks. To buy the kit i need some sort of reassurance on how long i can expect to have the service complimentary. I don’t want to sink a bunch of money into something i will only use for 3 months.

That being said I’m not stupid if it truly does raise revenue significantly I’ll be happy to pay.

#1045 2 years ago
Quoted from Smack:

Dunno about more secure, but from the webinar today each operator will be able to generate QR codes that can be used for all kinds of things above and beyond just identifying yourself.

Great notes - thx for sharing!

I'm glad they are thinking of these promotion and currency things - I just highly doubt they will get them to anything critical mass anytime soon.

And the scenarios they outline still don't need the QR reader on the game...

If I had a QR code on a receipt, I can scan that in the app, scan the game's code, and go... Sure you have the friction of needing the app, but that's what YOU WANT. You want people signing up and using your app... you want that hook in people and their data.

What is an anonymous person scanning a printed receipt anonymously into the game tell the Operator... how many burgers the place is selling?? No, you want to know who that player is, and if they come back, etc.

I'm still flabbergasted Stern thinks adding $200 in cost to every game to AVOID having your player use or need a phone in 2021 is a good approach.

The remote settings is interesting and welcome... along with audits and alerts we hope.

Has there been any talk about push notifications in the app at launch?

#1046 2 years ago

This signup is so borked... old login doesn't work... password resets don't work... and it claims my email domain is invalid. Srsly? They can't even work out simple account migration... and they're gonna take-on prizes, digital economy, etc? LoL

#1047 2 years ago

They've made a "fun" game of signing up. Thought I had gotten to the last step, after selecting your avatar and whatever, then it said my username and email were taken. Now I can't login or get past entering my email if I try to sign up again, no matter what I enter.

Not like I can use this for anything right now so not sure why I am bothering, but here I am trying to fit a square peg into a, apparently, round hole nonetheless.

#1048 2 years ago

Still haven’t received the email they said was being sent out today. Has anyone else? I already have a paid account so I don’t want to sign up for again.

#1049 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This signup is so borked... old login doesn't work... password resets don't work... and it claims my email domain is invalid. Srsly? They can't even work out simple account migration... and they're gonna take-on prizes, digital economy, etc? LoL

Man you are really on a roll today!

Tranquilo amigo…chilllll….I’m sure this shit will all work out fine.

CrazyLevi didn’t have any trouble signing up!

#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from gamera9:

It didn't for me. It wants another 40.00.

did you convert your existing account or create a new one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 18,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

5,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,399 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

There are 6,153 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 124.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/21?hl=zac1025 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.