Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,380 posts
  • 263 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by BallyKISS1978
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211018-201457 (resized).png
    IMG_4944 (resized).jpeg
    58DFF476-9448-4C5E-8B9E-06441DCCB4BB (resized).jpeg
    house_of_mouse (resized).png
    E1B63B76-679F-4986-B5C0-2EE852744BA8.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    BCFinsider (resized).jpg
    insider_locations (resized).JPG
    A816AF16-0512-4C10-B4F7-1F4B49CA8768 (resized).jpeg
    CanaKitWifi2 (resized).png
    CanaKitWifi (resized).png
    31F3F683-2317-4B89-BD7F-16A41A992FA4 (resized).jpeg
    E22A364C-3088-43D2-A217-B21F85124EFD (resized).jpeg
    FD525293-2A41-45C4-A35E-62CB2C8ECFE1 (resized).jpeg
    pro (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-201142_Edge (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1380 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 28.
    #901 25 days ago
    Quoted from scootss:

I don’t see why not…
    Possibly even easier…get a longer cable (it may be rj45 Ethernet) and run the cable out the back of the cabinet. Then you should be able to swap even easier with the reader itself outside of the cabinet.
    Just add a WiFi dongle to each machine.

hehe pretty clever idea.
    simple and cheap.

#902 25 days ago
    Quoted from EaglePin:

I like the idea of Insider Connected offering a bit more to the game with achievements, leaderboards etc. but I didn't like how the audio notification cut out all the other sounds & music in the game and how the video notification blocked the lower center area on the LCD where score and shot information is shown for game play.

It would be best if the audio notification was just a quick background sound instead of giving it priority over all the other audio going on at the time.

With Insider Connected it would technically be possible to implement personalized audio preferences. You would set up your preferred balance between music, game callouts, achievement notifications, etc. as part of your Insider Connected profile, and the game could fetch this and adjust its settings accordingly when it's your turn to play.

They may not have planned anything like that, but I would love that kind of functionality.

#903 25 days ago
    Quoted from oyvindmo:

With Insider Connected it would technically be possible to implement personalized audio preferences. You would set up your preferred balance between music, game callouts, achievement notifications, etc. as part of your Insider Connected profile, and the game could fetch this and adjust its settings accordingly when it's your turn to play.
    They may not have planned anything like that, but I would love that kind of functionality.

that may be slow to download + the SD cards are not that big

#904 25 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

It also might be fast to download. Since the functionality DOESN'T EXIST YET you have no basis for complaining. And all SD cards are the same size and readily available in capacities up to a terabyte so your concern about the "size" of an SD card is unfounded. Doubly so since you have no idea if additional lines of code would be needed, nor the size of those additional lines if they were.

#905 25 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Preferences are settings - not media. So you're talking bytes, not gigs.

#906 25 days ago

Going to dive into the Scorbit achievements today on GNR. We shall see what they have...

#907 25 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Preferences are settings - not media. So you're talking bytes, not gigs.

Yep. Also, to address the SD card point: There's no reason for the game to write these preferences to the SD card, since they are transient in nature, and only relevant to the current game session. I'm also sure they have a few kbytes of RAM to spare for a cache to avoid fetching the preferences multiple times if a player plays the same game repeatedly in a single day, to limit delays and decrease server load, if needed.

#908 24 days ago

Seeing how much better the godzilla apron (lower arch) looks on the premium vs the pro, it makes me wonder if I can "upgrade" to the premium apron when I add Insider Connected to my Aerosmith Pro.

Connected aside, is it possible to replace a pro apron with a premium?

Has anyone seen anything about if Stern is going to only sell Premium aprons to Premium owners? Serial number verification, etc.

#909 24 days ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Seeing how much better the godzilla apron (lower arch) looks on the premium vs the pro, it makes me wonder if I can "upgrade" to the premium apron when I add Insider Connected to my Aerosmith Pro.
    Has anyone seen anything about if Stern is going to only sell Premium aprons to Premium owners? Serial number verification, etc.

George Gomez mentioned in his post that all Spike 2 games would be eligible.
    Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).
    Aerosmith is not a Spike 2 game, so according to what Mr. Gomez mentioned, the insider connected device would not work on Aerosmith.
    Godzilla is a Spike 2 machine, so it should work fine if you add the device and it can be purchased separately according to his post.
    I assume the appropriate apron would have to be purchased also to have the correct hole for the device.

#910 24 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Aerosmith is not a Spike 2 game, so according to what Mr. Gomez mentioned, the insider connected device would not work on Aerosmith.

Any Stern machine with an LCD uses the Spike 2 system. Aerosmith/Batman66 were the first 2 games to use the system.

#912 24 days ago

Yes

Quoted from scootss:

I think some of the premium aprons will not work with some pros

#913 24 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).
    Godzilla is a Spike 2 machine, so it should work fine if you add the device and it can be purchased separately according to his post.
    I assume the appropriate apron would have to be purchased also to have the correct hole for the device.

Sorry about that, I thought the list of machines provided by Mr. Gomez included all the Spike 2 machines, so I stand corrected.
    I apologize for my error...

#914 23 days ago

The list of IC games include (I listed original game release dates too):

1. Batman 66 9/2016 (First LCD Spike 2 game ever released.) (needs new apron)
    2. Aerosmith 1/4/2017
    3. Star Wars 5/31/2017
    4. Guardians of the Galaxy 11/2/2017
    5. Iron Maiden 3/25/2018
    6. Dead Pool 8/3/2018
    7. Beatles 11/6/2018
    8. Munsters 1/12/2019
    9. Black Knight SOR 3/25/2019
    10. Jurassic Park 7/26/2019
    11. Elvira HOH 9/18/2019 (needs new apron)
    12. Stranger Things: 12/23/2019
    13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 5/27/2020
    14. Avengers Infinity Quest: 9/2/2020
    15. Led Zeppelin: 12/15/2020
    16. The Mandalorian: 5/11/2021
    17. Godzilla: 9/14/2021

All these games will be Insider Connected by the end of the year according to Stern. A flurry of software updates will be released for each game to work on IC, said George Gomez.

#915 23 days ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

The list of IC games include (I listed original game release dates too):
    1. Batman 66 11/2016 (First LCD Spike 2 game ever released.)
    2. Aerosmith 1/4/2017
    3. Star Wars 5/31/2017
    5. Iron Maiden 3/25/2018
    6. Dead Pool 8/3/2018
    7. Munsters 1/12/2019
    8. Black Knight SOR 3/25/2019
    9. Jurassic Park 7/26/2019
    10. Stranger Things: 12/23/2019
    11. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 5/27/2020
    12. Avengers Infinity War: 9/2/2020
    13. Led Zeppelin: 12/15/2020
    14. The Mandalorian: 5/11/2021
    15. Godzilla: 9/14/2021
    All these games will be Insider Connected by the end of the year according to Stern. A flurry of software updates will be released for each game to work on IC, said George Gomez.

I think I remember them saying 17 is that magic number for now and that makes sense cuz I don't see Beatles or EHOH on there. Great information tho

#916 23 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern Insider Connected blows Scorebit away.
    Can't wait for the JJP Pirates achievement that is earned for reaching the games wizard mode...oh wait that hasn't been added for 3+ years now lol.

Its Scorbit and I don't see how you can come to that conclusion although I really hope that Stern and Scorbit work together rather than see each other as competition. We've been playing challenges and automating tournaments with Scorbit for over a year now with Displays and competitions specifically run under Scorbit on just about any game. Spooky games are supported, Stern, including my Nine Ball and my Walking Dead, All of the WPC games, my Embryon, Batman Forever, Scorbit has just so many games it supports.

IMG_4039 (resized).JPG

Imagine an achievement like Super Star Trek - where Scorbit can ping that you've played Star Trek, TNG and Stern Star Trek and even link achievements across three games. And it can let you record scores on games that don't have a Scorbit device.

#917 23 days ago
    Quoted from BlakeWI:

I think I remember them saying 17 is that magic number for now and that makes sense cuz I don't see Beatles or EHOH on there. Great information tho

You’re right I forgot them, because they are not cornerstone games.
    I’ll add them.

(Just fixed the list by adding the 2 boutique games.) So totaling 17 games.

#918 23 days ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Aerosmith is absolutely a Spike 2 game:

1. Batman 66 11/2016 (First LCD Spike 2 game ever released.)
    2. Aerosmith 1/4/2017
    3. Star Wars 5/31/2017
    5. Iron Maiden 3/25/2018
    6. Dead Pool 8/3/2018
    7. The Beatles
    8. Munsters 1/12/2019
    9. Black Knight SOR 3/25/2019
    10. Jurassic Park 7/26/2019
    11. Elvira House of Horrors
    12. Stranger Things: 12/23/2019
    13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 5/27/2020
    14. Avengers Infinity War: 9/2/2020
    15. Led Zeppelin: 12/15/2020
    16. The Mandalorian: 5/11/2021
    17. Godzilla: 9/14/2021

Can't remember the exact launch dates of Beatles or Elvira but it was between those games. only three on that list I don't have!

#919 23 days ago

Elivra was at Expo so I'd have October as the launch for it.

#920 23 days ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Elivra was at Expo so I'd have October as the launch for it.

You’re right, so I’ll fix that too on the list. Thanks all, as I was trying to do some from memory, but October is when Elvira joined Stern at the October expo for its launch.
    Fixed Elvira to show launch date September even though they did October discussion panel.

#921 23 days ago

Batman and Elvira require new aprons

#922 23 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I think Star Wars premium will also need a new apron.

#923 23 days ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Wonder if they worked with Franchi to do some new art for the QR code version apron.

#924 23 days ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Can't remember the exact launch dates of Beatles or Elvira but it was between those games. only three on that list I don't have!

The Beatles: 11/6/2018
    Elvira's House of Horrors: 9/18/2019

#925 23 days ago
    Quoted from Peanuts:

The Beatles: 11/6/2018
    Elvira's House of Horrors: 9/18/2019

Elvira was 9/17/19 (Cassandra’s birthday)

#926 23 days ago
    Quoted from scootss:

I think it spossible. On my stranger thinks pro i have a premium apron (uv kit) and everything is correct (same holes…)

#928 22 days ago

I stand corrected. I could have sworn it was the 17th. But it turns out it was *my* birthday

#929 22 days ago
    Quoted from Flaverflav:

I think it spossible. On my stranger thinks pro i have a premium apron (uv kit) and everything is correct (same holes…)

Perfect. Thanks.

#930 22 days ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Wonder if they worked with Franchi to do some new art for the QR code version apron.

I've been assuming (but really just hoping) that they will get the original artist back to do each of the aprons. Hopefully the godzilla premium apron is the template for how good these can look.

#931 22 days ago
    Quoted from oyvindmo:

That's a great idea. Makes me think about setting up a profile for streaming purposes:

1. turn off all licensed music
    2. turn off coarse language
    3. turn off backglass light
    4. set volume to X
    5. turn off shaker motor

Another profile for co-op mode on TMNT would be cool

1. set default game to co-op
    2. set harder difficulty

Lots could be done with profiles, like the way my wife and I have multiple Prime or Netflix accounts for serious, casual, or specific watching moods.

#932 22 days ago

I haven't dug through this thread yet, but I'm feeling very optimistic about this Insider Connected thing.

I remember when achievements were first announced for Xbox 360 games, and back then, a $60 game purchase for me was ~ the same % of my bank account as a $9K pin is these days, so I have a real appreciation for making a game last.

That's what a deep achievement ruleset does for a game: it gives you more goals to reach. I want as much replicability as possible with these games.

I’m really curious to see what all they’re planning to do with it.

I have a Godzilla premium ordered, so I’m excited to have a new facet of pinball to play with.

Honestly, in hope this opens up DLC.

Yes, I hope so.

Why? Because these new machines are 7-10k of crazy hardware with what boils down to a 20 dollar video game’s worth of software inside.

I would love to pay for entirely new code/rules/sound/mode packages. I get it, what would sell for 20 bucks in the video game world would need to be much more on the pinball side, because we all know that pinball sells a few thousand, video games sell millions. But I’d be down to pay even a few hundred for a whole new software set for a game.

Imagine when Stranger Things Season 4 comes out, and you can buy a whole new software package for it, that gives you the option to swap the season 1 & 2 modes for season 3 & 4. That would add so much replay value to an already existing expensive piece of machinery. All new music, call outs, modes, etc.

I also love the idea of custom user-made game modes, or sanctioned mods, like steam workshop. Can you imagine, being able to make your own modes, then upload them, then download all kinds of new user made content from Stern? It’s already like this on PC for games like Skyrim, but even consoles are getting in on it.

Ideally, it would be an original IP that would have a lot of modular aspects to the software, and maybe even the table as well, that would allow for a ton of variety and user made content.

And then there’s pin golf. Seems like a no brainer to upload / download or make custom courses.

Multiplayer or even co-op would be possible. I also love the idea of games having some kind of vs. modes. You could communicate settings between machines, or have the mode auto set all the machines to the same settings, to keep things fair.

You could do something like Nintendo with Tetris 99. Imagine 100 pinball machines all starting at the same time, playing a special elimination mode in Godzilla. Kinda like a battle royale.

Midnight madness could be expanded on, so think double xp weekends or something, or certain modes being tied to time. I’m dreaming of an Animal Crossing pinball machine, haha.

It’d be awesome to have multiple modes on pinball machines. Not just standard, tournament, co-op, and final wizard mode stuff, but tutorial / training modes. Designer commentary modes, videos on strategies, behind the scenes, or maybe even stuff like recording your inputs and sharing those online.... obviously it could never quite work the same, since each machine is going to be slightly different, but it’d be wild to watch the machine playback a game you just had somehow... yeah I don’t think this would work,haha.

But there’s just so much potential for this thing. Stern seems to be all-in on it, so I really hope they make it as compelling as I believe it could be.

#933 22 days ago
    Quoted from docquest:

doubt it, Stern's internal team should be able to cope with this.

#934 22 days ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

doubt it, Stern's internal team should be able to cope with this.

Agreed. They likely have rearranged the current licensor approved assets.

#935 22 days ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Honestly, in hope this opens up DLC.

Yes, I hope so.

Why? Because these new machines are 7-10k of crazy hardware with what boils down to a 20 dollar video game’s worth of software inside.

I would love to pay for entirely new code/rules/sound/mode packages. I get it, what would sell for 20 bucks in the video game world would need to be much more on the pinball side, because we all know that pinball sells a few thousand, video games sell millions. But I’d be down to pay even a few hundred for a whole new software set for a game.

Imagine when Stranger Things Season 4 comes out, and you can buy a whole new software package for it, that gives you the option to swap the season 1 & 2 modes for season 3 & 4. That would add so much replay value to an already existing expensive piece of machinery. All new music, call outs, modes, etc.

People fear DLC, but I tend to agree with your view. Right now, the updates for a game stop when the code is complete "enough" and the bugs are basically out. If Stern had a financial incentive (why would they do it otherwise), there's at least a chance of getting what you suggest.

As for pricing, P3 gives some indication ($500 for sorcerer's apprentice with no new physical hardware), but that is a completely different game...

#936 21 days ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

But either way, all players need to either scan the QR code with their phone, or use the game scanner to scan their own QR code.
    If the QR code is on the game, I scan it with my phone, my phone tells the server I’m playing game XYZ20394, then the server gives the game my details.

The reason is that it allows players the opportunity to use connected services without a phone.

Rob

#937 21 days ago

I was just thinking tonight and wondered if some games need to be 'fixed' in ordered to give players a good connected experience. BM66 has a considerable issue with unbalanced scoring because of how two of the minor villains work in the game. I know I don't want to see trillion point scores on the leaderboards or people getting triple digit bonus multiplier achievements.

Rob

#938 21 days ago

I wonder what is to stop people from having a common QR that is publicly shared, gets built up with all achievements and such, then shared more as a sort of “cheat code”?

#939 21 days ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I wonder what is to stop people from having a common QR that is publicly shared, gets built up with all achievements and such, then shared more as a sort of “cheat code”?

What would be the purpose of this? It's basically a no harm no foul situation.

#940 21 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

What would be the purpose of this? It's basically a no harm no foul situation.

To give anyone that wants it the ability to unlock modes and such that would normally have to be “earned” by playing, basically defeating the purpose of it. Not forcing people to play on location or put in coin drop. As an Op, it is a concern.
    But I really don’t see casual players even trying this stuff out, look at the scoreboard for Escape Nublar on any Jurassic, all factory. If nobody, including seasoned players, even wants to try that stuff, how is extra effort to use the QR going to change that?

#941 21 days ago
    Quoted from DNO:

To give anyone that wants it the ability to unlock modes and such that would normally have to be “earned” by playing, basically defeating the purpose of it. Not forcing people to play on location or put in coin drop. As an Op, it is a concern.
    But I really don’t see casual players even trying this stuff out, look at the scoreboard for Escape Nublar on any Jurassic, all factory. If nobody, including seasoned players, even wants to try that stuff, how is extra effort to use the QR going to change that?

Stern could easily disable the account or force the account to renew their QR code if they see abuse. Since it's tied to a person's name at insider signup I don't see this really happening.

Also you mention not forcing to play on location. They already said some achievements won't be verified unless it's a verified game. The only games that will be verified are location games. My assumption is the bigger "prizes" will require verified achievements.

#942 21 days ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I guess for DLC or unlocking content it is valid concern for Stern. The whole thing about special achievements on location, I think it's just marketing for operators to buy the kit. If you your location is very pinball specific with a strong local market with weekly tournaments and things like that this might make sense. Those are the only route locations that I think this will even noticed as far as revenue for the operator. Achievements are literally the equivalent of a gold star on your fridge or calendar, there is only one person that gives a shit. No one is going to pay for new content and DLC for routed games but I could see people sharing them at home.

#943 21 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Achievements are literally the equivalent of a gold star on your fridge or calendar, there is only one person that gives a shit. No one is going to pay for new content and DLC for routed games but I could see people sharing them at home.

True, the achievements are nil. And it’s still all speculation, as we know very little still.
    I just see people trying to “team up” to get any deep reward, especially if there is no real personal reward along the way.
    Sign up can be a throwaway account, but if a real address is needed for prizes and such to be sent out, it might curb this.
    Still looking forward to the roll out! Start the Godzilla’s shipping…

#944 21 days ago

I wonder if operators will sell the ability to flag your home machine as a location game? If they have a number of locations, how would Stern know it wasn't at a true location.

#945 21 days ago
    Quoted from Gizmata:

I wonder if operators will sell the ability to flag your home machine as a location game? If they have a number of locations, how would Stern know it wasn't at a true location.

What would be the point, and why would anyone pay for this? Do you guys think a "verified" achievement is going to have some actual value?

#946 21 days ago

Any ETA on when we can buy this? Sorry for my lack of Google-fu on this.

#947 21 days ago

You could make people believe that you are the greatest player in history, while you play with the glass of.

Sponsers would be triggered and you would earn insane amounts of money... cheers

#948 21 days ago
    Quoted from friscopinball:

Any ETA on when we can buy this? Sorry for my lack of Google-fu on this.

Should be next month

#949 21 days ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Should be next month

Thank you!

#950 20 days ago

Man, wish they would launch it as an app already, so I can get my profile all set up! My Godzilla will hopefully be here soon, and I don't wanna waste flip time setting up my insider profile. A beta obviously exists, why haven't they shared that site yet (at least with LE buyers?!)

There are 1380 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 28.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside