Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,815 posts
  • 317 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by cooked71
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A97F67D-0C90-4BF0-BF3A-D42D19C14F2C (resized).jpeg
    5842314B-7777-414E-98F6-3789A0AEA498 (resized).jpeg
    8C2232E9-6E74-41D7-B896-39BD7121304E (resized).jpeg
    FD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpeg
    9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1437 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1435 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1436 (resized).jpg
    0F95DC87-F270-4CA1-A9E1-E8CE3F157E55 (resized).jpeg
    F2E64716-8051-4C90-B3BD-C2B24E93A28C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0745 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.54.57 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.48.25 (resized).png
    B2D63D6A-CB3C-4CCC-B950-C0DD3182F524 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 37.
    #651 3 months ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

NFTs could be cool.

I'll sell you a pinball related NFT if you want one that badly. Low low price of 6k for some pinball related pixel art drawn in MS Paint!

#652 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jared:

You are wise.

IT LIVES?!

#653 3 months ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'll sell you a pinball related NFT if you want one that badly. Low low price of 6k for some pinball related pixel art drawn in MS Paint!

Back in the early days of MMOGs I had quite a collection of NFTs but then Blizzard dumbed down the game and they instantly devalued.

#654 3 months ago

Back in the early days of MMOGs I had quite a collection of NFTs but then Blizzard dumbed down the game and they instantly devalued.

.......are we talking about the same thing?

#655 3 months ago

I'm pretty excited about this development and see alot of potential to transform on location play for the better.
    Some operators probably won't take the time to delve into this right away until they see it in action. I hope
    that at the next major Pinball event that Stern puts together a helluva show to showcase what this can do.
    One thing I haven't seen discussed is something that has been on my mind for awhile.
    Changing some of the mechanics on how games are paid for. THIS seems a step in the right direction.
    I imagine it would be pretty cool if users could buy 'credits' that get routed to the 'operators'.

golden tee has CC cards and gift cards that go to ops' account but will op's pay golden tee fees per game?

#656 89 days ago

What's the official list of games that will be included in the first rollout? I'm hoping Jurrasic Park and Elvira 3 are on
    that list.

In the George Gomez announcement video (around the 1:42 mark) it is mentioned that 7 machines to start will include the Insider Connected platform, and implies they are: Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).

#657 89 days ago
    Quoted from BlakeWI:

Hell yeah! I would've came out even if you only had it on that bad ass DEJP you used to have!

We have a JP pro in Madison

#658 89 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

golden tee has CC cards and gift cards that go to ops' account but will op's pay golden tee fees per game?

and Ops MUST pay golden tee for EVERY credit on the commercial games. They skim off the top for all games. It's not pleasant plus the annual $800 or so to keep with each year's trivial release

I doubt Stern has the stones to try to force that kind of model yet... or build a real operator payment model.

#659 89 days ago

I imagine it would be pretty cool if users could buy 'credits' that get routed to the 'operators'. This would
    help fix what I see as dependency on physical currency aspect of pinball. Who carries cash these days.

As long as there is a universal payment system, fine. I'm not buying Stern bucks that only work on Stern games same as I'm not buying Dave & Busters bucks or Pinstack bucks or any other currency that's only used at one or two places. If they start selling credits it has to be the kind I can use to buy groceries or gas or rent.

#660 89 days ago
    Quoted from Castlecade:

We have a JP pro in Madison

Well I don't miss it yet, maybe cuz I got an Elvira in its place! Hope it found a good home. Hey you got a BKSOR now?

#661 89 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

As long as there is a universal payment system, fine. I'm not buying Stern bucks that only work on Stern games same as I'm not buying Dave & Busters bucks or Pinstack bucks or any other currency that's only used at one or two places. If they start selling credits it has to be the kind I can use to buy groceries or gas or rent.

and ops eat the fees? or say CC fee $0.25 or say CC min $5

#662 89 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Quoted from BlakeWI:

Well I don't miss it yet, maybe cuz I got an Elvira in its place! Hope it found a good home. Hey you got a BKSOR now?

Yup!

#663 89 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and ops eat the fees? or say CC fee $0.25 or say CC min $5

Ops that know what they are doing have payment figured out a long time ago and do not need Sterns help here. coupons and specials are one thing but another payment system is not really needed

#664 89 days ago

If Stern announced a machine with a glory hole you guys would be crying about splinters before the first one left the factory. Fucking hilarious.

#665 89 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I hope you're getting a good laugh at the expense of some of the bozo know-it-all's here

This kind of discussion is typical and expected.

I’ve met with George personally and seen a 30 minute demonstration of the technology in engineering. It’s phenomenal. The possible applications are nearly limitless.

Starting with the next title, every machine Stern makes at every trim level will come factory equipped with it, and all Spike2 games will be able to be retrofitted affordably and easily.

The more people that adopt the technology the better it will become for everyone. I’m truly excited.

#666 89 days ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It will take Shrute Bucks and Stanley Nickels.

#667 89 days ago
    Quoted from Jared:

all Spike2 games will be able to be retrofitted affordably and easily.

I'm very curious what "affordably" actually means. Hopefully the actual price will be shared soon.

#668 89 days ago

I always liked the xbox achievement system. Burnout Paradise was maybe the only game where I ever finished all the achievements. I got gold cars as a reward. Oh, I think I finished Crackdown too... Orb Hunter was a great achievement to earn.

Rob

#669 89 days ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I always liked the xbox achievement system. Burnout Paradise was maybe the only game where I ever finished all the achievements. I got gold cars as a reward. Oh, I think I finished Crackdown too... Orb Hunter was a great achievement to earn.
    Rob

I loved both those games, and neither one ever got a decent follow up. Le sigh.

#670 89 days ago
    Quoted from shaub:

I'm very curious what "affordably" actually means. Hopefully the actual price will be shared soon.

They will definitely want it to be affordable just like gaming consoles are cheap as dirt compared to their BOM.

Stern can only make money off of you if you have it installed, hence the entry price will be as low as they can make it.

#672 89 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

and Ops MUST pay golden tee for EVERY credit on the commercial games. They skim off the top for all games. It's not pleasant plus the annual $800 or so to keep with each year's trivial release

I doubt Stern has the stones to try to force that kind of model yet... or build a real operator payment model.

If Stern was able to drive traffic and more revenue for operators, it becomes a simple math equation.

#673 89 days ago

From the article above: "GG: Insider Connected will remain free. Insider Connected All Access will be a subscription based service just like the existing All Access loyalty program has been. Insider Connected All Access will have specific premium features on top of everything that has been described above."

#674 89 days ago

"Subscription based service" - there you go. That's what this is really all about. Revenue stream.

#675 89 days ago

Ok... let's look at this from a player v.s. owner standpoint. If you make me subscribe to get All Access as a player, then owners should not have to subscribe to get All Access. Period. I've already paid Stern big cash for the right to own and play their damn game. I should NOT have to continue to pay them to get full access to all game features in the damn box. They got my $7000 to $10000 and if that doesn't have enough "profit" built in to last the life of my machine, they can stick their Insider in their insides and preferably the wrong way through a one way orifice. Ownership of a pinball game, historically, has always meant I have full access to it's full capabilities. Not interested in buying a box that requires a subscription just to play it. The Xbox generation may enjoy it, but the Atari 2400 generation does not.

#676 89 days ago
    Quoted from shaub:

How is that even relevant anymore when the price of LE's doubled in the last 10 years, and they're selling more games than ever?

Nobody cares. They will sell thousands of add on kits, regardless of price. They aren't saying because they know it's higher than home collectors will want it to be. We already know what the relative price increase is. Look at the price bump on the Pro models.

Quoted from epthegeek:

I loved both those games, and neither one ever got a decent follow up. Le sigh.

Burnout Paradise was TERRIBLE compared to the prior Burnout game. *edit* A terrible BURNOUT game. It's a great Need for Speed game.

#677 89 days ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

"Subscription based service" - there you go. That's what this is really all about. Revenue stream.

Yeah, and it scares me. If the Premium features are gameplay things like extra modes similar to the topper dlc then I will not be happy. If they are just extra tracking and marketing things for operators on the backend then not as concerned.

#678 89 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Burnout Paradise was TERRIBLE compared to the prior Burnout game.

Well, I certainly had a lot of fun with the challenges. It added a whole new element to the online multiplayer. It was more co-op than PvP. Everyone had to complete the same challenge and we would all be rooting for the player who just kept missing the jump (or whatever). Finally they would get it and then we all race off to the next challenge!

Rob

#679 89 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I think it was Burnout Revenge, and that was my favorite one. I never got tired of wrecking cars. Burnout Paradise was all too much and required way too much thought. Just let me wreck shit.

It's like the difference between Gears of War and that new strategic one. Who the hell wants to think that much when you're playing a video game?

Oh...and sorry to continue this off-topic discussion. Back to Stern now...

#680 89 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think it was Burnout Revenge, and that was my favorite one. I never got tired of wrecking cars. Burnout Paradise was all too much and required way too much thought. Just let me wreck shit.
    It's like the difference between Gears of War and that new strategic one. Who the hell wants to think that much when you're playing a video game?
    Oh...and sorry to continue this off-topic discussion. Back to Stern now...

This is exactly my point. Like....the entire series was more or less about causing the most carnage as possible, and then they just turned it into Need for Speed Beach Edition. Burnout in name only. Other people may have enjoyed that, and they probably thought that was a way to get more people interested, but....well..I'll just leave this here and be done:

"For example, despite the success of Burnout Paradise, EA — who purchased Criterion back in 2004 — tasked the developer with creating a new entry in the Need for Speed series. Flash forward to EA's press conference at E3 2010, where the publisher announced Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, a back-to-its-roots title featuring some of that much-loved Burnout style and panache.

Read More: https://www.svg.com/145261/whatever-happened-to-the-burnout-games/?utm_campaign=clip"

#681 89 days ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

The challenges were some of the best cooperative XBOX multiplayer I have played. Everyone would have to race to a certain part of the map and do something special (or crazy). Even the developers wrote that it was unexpected how much time players were spending in the challenges. I had a lot of fun with this game. The original, not the re-master which I heard isn't as good for some reason. The only thing they didn't get right in the game were the DLC mini cars. They were too overpowered and never balanced.
    Rob

Burnout Paradise was a masterclass in online. It was one of those genre bending platforms. It wasn't really a racing game, it was this crazy online car sandbox. It was like a Utopia that you could just go online at any skill level and have fun for hours. With none of the frustration and negativity that plagued the online experience.

Quoted from Frax:

Pinside always delivers, in all my years I have never heard anyone that played Burnout Paradise remember that time poorly. It is like Goldeneye everyone that played it looks back fondly on the time. How unhappy were you to think Burnout Paradise was terrible.

#682 89 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

How unhappy were you to think Burnout Paradise was terrible.

I love how the assumption is that I'm somehow flawed because I didn't like that they chose a direction that was so far away from what the prior games were that it was no longer the same game.

Are you even serious? I'm sorry, do you love every single game you touch? Are you simply a sheep that follows reviews and everyone else's words, and you have no personal taste in games? It's not like I didn't give it a fair shake. I bought the original release, and then I bought the remaster. Neither me or my wife liked Paradise, and we played the hell out of Revenge.

They got their money twice from me, so I'm more than allowed to be honest about how I feel about the game.....especially without moronic comments like the one you just made.

*edit* I'm pretty bloody sure I still own both physical copies as well.

*edit 2* You don't see the irony in the fact that they made such a good Need for Speed game (that wasn't titled Need for Speed), that they ended up making ACTUAL Need for Speed games?

#683 89 days ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I love how the assumption is that I'm somehow flawed because I didn't like that they chose a direction that was so far away from what the prior games were that it was no longer the same game.
    Are you even serious? I'm sorry, do you love every single game you touch? Are you simply a sheep that follows reviews and everyone else's words, and you have no personal taste in games? It's not like I didn't give it a fair shake. I bought the original release, and then I bought the remaster. Neither me or my wife liked Paradise, and we played the hell out of Revenge.
    They got their money twice from me, so I'm more than allowed to be honest about how I feel about the game.....especially without moronic comments like the one you just made.
    *edit* I'm pretty bloody sure I still own both physical copies as well.

Dude it's been almost 15 years and your still pissed. I get it you really do not enjoy the game. I was just being a smart ass. I do not actually believe your taste in video games is a reflection of your personal mental health and happiness.

#684 89 days ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

let's look at this from a player v.s. owner standpoint.

Let's not, since people can be both and the features of the system could be targeted at either or both or neither.

Quoted from Bublehead:

If you make me subscribe to get All Access as a player, then owners should not have to subscribe to get All Access.

It depends on the feature. If it's a feature targeted at locations (show ad for your location on the screen during attract mode) that's not something you should offer to a player account.

Quoted from Bublehead:

I've already paid Stern big cash for the right to own and play their damn game. I should NOT have to continue to pay them to get full access to all game features in the damn box.

You'll continue to have the same access you paid for. If additional features or capabilities are added and you want them too then you can decide if you want to add them to your game.

Quoted from Bublehead:

Ownership of a pinball game, historically, has always meant I have full access to it's full capabilities.

Historically, pinball has never been able to add features via the internet. It's a new capability and it's bringing new opportunities.

Quoted from Bublehead:

Not interested in buying a box that requires a subscription just to play it.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman No one has said you'll need to buy a pinball machine that requires a subscription just to play it.

#685 89 days ago
    Quoted from shaub:

From the article above: "GG: Insider Connected will remain free. Insider Connected All Access will be a subscription based service just like the existing All Access loyalty program has been. Insider Connected All Access will have specific premium features on top of everything that has been described above."

premium sub needed to win prizes may lead to legal issues. Can stern get out some by saying we are gifting an prize to the OP who then giving it to player?

Also will op's like players getting free plays on there games?? if say stern says with Insider Connected All Access GOLD you get 5 free games an Month but say only give an op $0.50 per free game from stern?

#686 89 days ago
    Quoted from Jared:

This kind of discussion is typical and expected.
    I’ve met with George personally and seen a 30 minute demonstration of the technology in engineering. It’s phenomenal. The possible applications are nearly limitless.
    Starting with the next title, every machine Stern makes at every trim level will come factory equipped with it, and all Spike2 games will be able to be retrofitted affordably and easily.
    The more people that adopt the technology the better it will become for everyone. I’m truly excited.

I'm really excited to see what you guys do with this too! A lot of people are. I think a lot of the naysayers will come around once everyone sees the benefits.

Quoted from Darscot:

Pinside always delivers, in all my years I have never heard anyone that played Burnout Paradise remember that time poorly. It is like Goldeneye everyone that played it looks back fondly on the time. How unhappy were you to think Burnout Paradise was terrible.

Frax is right though. Burnout paradise sucked. Me and my friends were big fans of the series and I remember it's getting Paradise and just being like wtf is this? Huge letdown. Never played it online though so maybe we missed out.

#687 89 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I gave up and stopped at the 2017 upgrade in my house. Would rather save the money towards a new pinball from now on.

#688 89 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Never played it online though so maybe we missed out.

You did, If you never played it online you never experienced what made it great. It literally changed the landscape of both racing games and open world games. It kinda sucked for Criterion though, they stumbled into a masterpiece and really struggled to live up to the pressure and expectation.

#689 88 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Quoted from Darscot:

You did, If you never played it online you never experienced what made it great. It literally changed the landscape of both racing games and open world games. It kinda sucked for Criterion though, they stumbled into a masterpiece and really struggled to live up to the pressure and expectation.

Well if you say so then I know it was garbage like the rest of the game

I was never into racing or driving games online much anyway, unless you count GTA and even then it was just an occasional thing. Too busy playing COD

#690 88 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Well if you say so then I know it was garbage like the rest of the game
    I was never into racing or driving games online much anyway, unless you count GTA and even then it was just an occasional thing. Too busy playing COD

Yeah what made Burnout out great was you didn't have to listen to all the screaming pubescent boys trying to prove how tough they were, they were all busy playing COD. COD has been trying to topple League for the title of the most toxic online experience for over a decade. To each their own but that wasn't my thing. I obviously have a little biased to certain franchises.

#691 88 days ago

They borrowed heavily from Raw Thrills (play mechanics) big buck, so it would not surprise me if the same fee structure finds its way over as well with national tournaments and per play fees to us operators. Time will tell

#692 88 days ago
    Quoted from Castlecade:

They borrowed heavily from Raw Thrills (play mechanics) big buck, so it would not surprise me if the same fee structure finds its way over as well with national tournaments and per play fees to us operators. Time will tell

big buck uses / used some of the same systems as golden tee.

#693 88 days ago
    Quoted from Castlecade:

national tournaments on pinball games that very a lot game to game??

#694 87 days ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

100%. It will start as some free achievement based stuff to get everyone interested. Shortly thereafter you’ll be able to pay a few bucks a month for some extra features.

Before long it will be just like console games where certain wizard modes and gameplay functionality will be behind a pay wall.

Want an extra wizard mode made for your new machine? Well that will be $89.99.

#695 87 days ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

100%. It will start as some free achievement based stuff to get everyone interested. Shortly thereafter you’ll be able to pay a few bucks a month for some extra features.
    Before long it will be just like console games where certain wizard modes and gameplay functionality will be behind a pay wall.

or more like golden tee.
    Players pay $0.25-$1 extra per game for on line stuff and ops need to pay yearly fees.

#696 87 days ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Im fine with this as long as it doesn't mean the original shipped game is deliberately stripped down, or incomplete, in order to milk more out of us at a later date.

In fact, done in a fair way, it's a fantastic idea to get more value out of this $7-$12k object sitting in my house.

EDIT: I love the way P3 makes use of exisiting layouts with completely new games.

#697 87 days ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

big buck uses / used some of the same systems as golden tee.

the new ones use QR scanners introduced in Halo, I figure national contests and or promotions on select games, like when a new season of mando is released etc

#698 87 days ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Yeah what made Burnout out great was you didn't have to listen to all the screaming pubescent boys trying to prove how tough they were

Both a blessing and a curse, really. The game felt a *little* backwater due to that lack of communication...but you're not wrong there. Overall I agree it was more of a positive than a drawback, just because people are douchebags. I've been in GTA Online and holy crap what a garbage heap that is. And even my kids will openly talk about how bad COD is. My older son plays competitive Overwatch for his high school team (made it to 2nd round of National finals for their league) and he bags on COD all the time due to how ridiculous the "community" is.

#699 87 days ago

So me getting dizzy trying to scroll through all the posts. What where the first 7 titles doing this again?

#700 87 days ago
    Quoted from ExSquid:

So me getting dizzy trying to scroll through all the posts. What where the first 7 titles doing this again?

George Gomez mentioned in his post that all Spike 2 games would be eligible.
    Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).

There are 1,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 37.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside