IMG_1734 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240529_222842_Stern IC (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240529_155653_Stern IC (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8583.gif
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_1456 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 127.
#6251 38 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Nevermind. I should have known I can’t put it in GB. I’ll put it in BKSOR instead.
So just need a CAT 6 cable cable and either the door mount for it or one of the triangle shaped pieces for the apron??

Will need a WiFi adapter and SD card that will go in the back box.

#6252 38 days ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Will need a WiFi adapter and SD card that will go in the back box.

Didn't think about that. Time to search this thread for what to buy then.

Thanks

Greg

#6253 38 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Didn't think about that. Time to search this thread for what to buy then.
Thanks
Greg

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/41#post-6663871

Check here, he has some info on what you need.

That's when using the same reader for all games, but the WiFi dongle and SD card and cable is essentially all there

#6254 33 days ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Well after a few years of utilizing IC at my location I have decided to takedown the leaderboards and "deemphasize" Insider Connect.
I was really stoked for this new hardware when it was announced and within a few months retro fitted 4 of my spike 2s with readers, with Godzilla and a few other new sterns we had 7 games ready to go
From the start I had connectivity problems, I would go back and forth with Stern in order to get working.
New Routers, Modems, ethernet cables......
My Godzilla would always be connected and work correctly, any of the retrofit machines almost never unless I reset the router multiple times a day.
buttttttt.... I did it and over the last few years really promoted and educated to all that I could.
Everyone who was somewhat interested or I could talk into would create a account. Always the the same result, a initial excitement then a slow descent into apathy.
These were the casuals.
The "stern army" sustained their interest a little longer but over time and due to sometimes unreliable nature of being connected at my location they to eventually slowed down their frequency as well.
Now I may get 3-4 unique players that bother to log in and create a entry on the posted leaderboards.
The badges are fun but for me have lost their luster.
Im still hoping that they add some depth to Insider Connected and it continues to grow.
From my point of view it is not the 200.00 price to retrofit old machines.

Stern really need to add more features to IC - there is so much more they could do to greatly improve the experience for both operator and player!

I've attempted to run several location comps, but it is difficult when really the only style you can run are challenges for highest scores, which become very boring when you have a few top players who log unreachable scores early in the comp that the average pinball player can never beat. I tried to run a comp in which the player who got the closest to a particular score wins, but the way IC is currently set up it was just not possible.

I really wish Stern would create the ability for an operator to be able to create their own location based comps utilising some of the monthly game specific badge challenges. Also it would be great if there was the option for an operator to use IC to award players bonus credits for wining or achieving these challenges.

The other issue is that operators have no way to contact IC players who have won a comp. Maybe an option on a future update allowing players to opt in if they are happy for operators to send them messages if they participate in comps. Likewise it would be great if players could message operators to report tech issues at the location, or provide feedback on games.

#6255 29 days ago

Is it possible to fix a flickering light on the scanner? Scanner works just fine bought it used and said light was out but it actually flickers which is worse. Rather the light not work at all tbh.

#6256 28 days ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Stern really need to add more features to IC - there is so much more they could do to greatly improve the experience for both operator and player!
I've attempted to run several location comps, but it is difficult when really the only style you can run are challenges for highest scores, which become very boring when you have a few top players who log unreachable scores early in the comp that the average pinball player can never beat. I tried to run a comp in which the player who got the closest to a particular score wins, but the way IC is currently set up it was just not possible.
I really wish Stern would create the ability for an operator to be able to create their own location based comps utilising some of the monthly game specific badge challenges. Also it would be great if there was the option for an operator to use IC to award players bonus credits for wining or achieving these challenges.
The other issue is that operators have no way to contact IC players who have won a comp. Maybe an option on a future update allowing players to opt in if they are happy for operators to send them messages if they participate in comps. Likewise it would be great if players could message operators to report tech issues at the location, or provide feedback on games.

I think it's likely they are working on some of this. Gomez talked briefly about IC recently. I think it's likely with the cost of AWS hosting there will be an advanced /pay service.

#6257 28 days ago

I’d kind of like it if the machine would save a copy of your configuration settings and high score tables back up to the mothership as a backup for the event you need to do re-do your SD card or to setup another machine.

I know you can save to and load from a USB drive, but would be nice to have a cloud copy. That would be an actually useful application for having IC on your machine

#6258 28 days ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

I really wish Stern would create the ability for an operator to be able to create their own location based comps utilizing some of the monthly game specific badge challenges. Also it would be great if there was the option for an operator to use IC to award players bonus credits for winning or achieving these challenges.

Example challenges:
Highest score in a specific multiball in a specific game
Most weapons in Deadpool
Most TIE Fighters in Star Wars
Various challenge modes in Munsters, Jurassic Park, Turtles
etcetera

#6259 25 days ago

Anyone having issues with the Summer Solstice badge not unlocking? Got 95 mil on Foo Fighters earlier. The Music Day badge unlocked but the Solstice one did not.

#6260 25 days ago

Going on vacation soon to South Lake Tahoe and I just checked the Insider Connected map and there are a total of ZERO locations there. There are only two locations total that are officially in Lake Tahoe and they are both in North Lake Tahoe. Driving from South to North is almost an hour drive one way... I guess my streak is ending. I was so close to getting 360 days.

#6261 25 days ago

The Pinball Map app has 3 locations in the area reportedly with a couple of modern sterns. No clue if they are actually online, but worth a shot

IMG_1734 (resized).jpegIMG_1734 (resized).jpeg
#6262 25 days ago
Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

Going on vacation soon to South Lake Tahoe and I just checked the Insider Connected map and there are a total of ZERO locations there. There are only two locations total that are officially in Lake Tahoe and they are both in North Lake Tahoe. Driving from South to North is almost an hour drive one way... I guess my streak is ending. I was so close to getting 360 days.

Screen shot your barcode, send it to a buddy who has a Stern, and ask him/her to do you a favor and log you in each day until you're home. My friends and I have done that for each other for special badges, etc....

#6263 25 days ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Screen shot your barcode, send it to a buddy who has a Stern, and ask him/her to do you a favor and log you in each day until you're home. My friends and I have done that for each other for special badges, etc....

Cheaters!

#6264 25 days ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

The Pinball Map app has 3 locations in the area reportedly with a couple of modern sterns. No clue if they are actually online, but worth a shot[quoted image]

Thanks for this suggestion! I will definitely try this! I wonder if they would laugh at me if I asked them to open up the machine and connect it to the Internet It kills me when I go to a location and they don't have their Insider Connected machines online.

#6265 25 days ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I don't have any friends that have pinball machines

#6266 25 days ago
Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

I don't have any friends that have pinball machines

I'm about to loose my streak to. We need to start shaming some of these operators putting out new Sterns and not connecting them! Seriously, buy a different manufacturer if you don't want to do it! Anyway when I left for work the power came on and my wife logged into home team for me. You could ask a friend or neighbor to come over and do that daily like they're tending to a family pet like my wife suggested. They may look at you a little strange tho..lol!

#6267 22 days ago

Is it true that operators need to have a paid All Access subscription before their games with IC are appear on the location map on the Stern Insider Connected website?

#6268 22 days ago

oldbaby no it is a setting in your app you have turned off to not show location on map it should be a setting! Contact stern insider connected tech support they are very helpful!

#6269 22 days ago
Quoted from Gamingrulin:

oldbaby no it is a setting in your app you have turned off to not show location on map it should be a setting! Contact stern insider connected tech support they are very helpful!

This isn't my personal experience, it was something I recall an operator telling me at one point about why their machines weren't on the IC map. Although I could be misremembering.

#6270 22 days ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

This isn't my personal experience, it was something I recall an operator telling me at one point about why their machines weren't on the IC map. Although I could be misremembering.

Many operators have been listening them accidentally under there personal games then they won't show up. Also they will not get the "verified" achievements you get from a location. If you happened to play a machine at this particular location it will be easy to see if this is the case. Go under your recent activity. If it says the word "Game room" after there name then it's listed under a home collection not a verified location.

#6271 21 days ago

Has Stern removed the IC app from the App Store (iOS)?

IMG_0751 (resized).jpegIMG_0751 (resized).jpeg
#6272 21 days ago
Quoted from Jarkko:

[quoted image]

Probably temporary for an update. App still seems to be working fine.

#6273 21 days ago
Quoted from Jarkko:

[quoted image]

George Gomez responded on FB that was unexpected and they’re looking into it.

Things like this sometimes happen when app updates aren’t compatible with the latest iOS, but it could also be a temporary failure on the App Store side.

#6274 21 days ago

Has there been any modding/tweaking related to IC? I was able to view the traffic between the pinball and the Stern IC backend. Nothing suspicious sent back and forth but I think there is some potential here for two things:

1. Analyzing the telemetry sent from the pinball to the Stern servers. I'm already planning on making a tool to output an analysis of a game. It's not super detailed but it could do things like show points for each ball, duration of each ball, number of switches hit, etc. It doesn't give you real playfield action data.
2. Emulating the Stern IC backend. You could have your pinball connect to a local emulated Stern IC server, create your own achievements, host your own leaderboards, etc. I don't see this being that useful but more as a way to control aspects of the pinball we don't normally have access to.

My main concern is that pinball is a mod-heavy hobby, none of the manufacturers seem to care. But when you start messing with IT systems, especially ones that connect to backend servers it can start to blur a line into hacking territory. Have things like pinball browser got negative attention from Stern?

#6275 20 days ago
Quoted from Dandelock:

Has there been any modding/tweaking related to IC? I was able to view the traffic between the pinball and the Stern IC backend. Nothing suspicious sent back and forth but I think there is some potential here for two things:
1. Analyzing the telemetry sent from the pinball to the Stern servers. I'm already planning on making a tool to output an analysis of a game. It's not super detailed but it could do things like show points for each ball, duration of each ball, number of switches hit, etc. It doesn't give you real playfield action data.
2. Emulating the Stern IC backend. You could have your pinball connect to a local emulated Stern IC server, create your own achievements, host your own leaderboards, etc. I don't see this being that useful but more as a way to control aspects of the pinball we don't normally have access to.
My main concern is that pinball is a mod-heavy hobby, none of the manufacturers seem to care. But when you start messing with IT systems, especially ones that connect to backend servers it can start to blur a line into hacking territory. Have things like pinball browser got negative attention from Stern?

no encryption? so easy to bypass the needed for paid accounts if they start to lock stuff under them?

now stern has done stuff to make pinball browser not work till it gets updated. With Licensed games they may not be so hot on modded games.

Your own server so more ways to cheat?

#6276 20 days ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Your own server so more ways to cheat?

If it’s on its own server it would be apart from the rest of the world. Not sure how you could cheat anything Stern has in place in terms of leaderboards or achievements.

#6277 20 days ago

Has anybody heard anything about home leaderboards and when we could possibly see those? I know we have. Deb wanting them for so long and seems like the talk about it has kind of vanished! Besides George Gomez saying it’s coming soon!

#6278 20 days ago
Quoted from Gamingrulin:

Has anybody heard anything about home leaderboards and when we could possibly see those? I know we have. Deb wanting them for so long and seems like the talk about it has kind of vanished! Besides George Gomez saying it’s coming soon!

What else is there to say other than that it's in-development? They aren't going to tell the public what they're doing on a daily/weekly basis. No software development company/group/team does that.

#6279 19 days ago

bwalter i was mainly talking about rumors and it seems rumors have come to a halt with it seems stern has done nothing with IC in a long time besides the app which didn’t add much anything besides making it faster. We need home leaderboards and more ways to connect online through it I don’t h see stand how they got the operator ones out so fast and then there are excuses! Well it takes a log. Time for licensing all of this and whatever else they have to say they’re stalling in it just like they are on the rush node board 10 stepper motor board!

#6280 19 days ago
Quoted from bwalter:

What else is there to say other than that it's in-development? They aren't going to tell the public what they're doing on a daily/weekly basis. No software development company/group/team does that.

I disagree. I work with vendors all the time who tell me when bug fixes and new features are planned to be released. They always give the caveat that dates can slip, but I get that level of detail all the time.

#6281 19 days ago

I am aware the insider app did push back the insider connected home leaderboards! I am told it is still happening just when is what I wonder! Maybe the end of this year or next year for sure. I would be shocked if it wasn’t between late this year and next year sometime if it exceeds that time frame they have not hardly been working on them at all!

#6282 17 days ago

I'm always kinda surprised by how much demand there is for the home leaderboards. The games have built in score boards. And how many people do you have coming over to play that have IC accounts? To me it just doesn't seem like it would be used a lot, outside of people who regularly host private events.

I think Stern said they were also caught off guard by the demand. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of holding it back is still give operators *something* for their paid accounts. (Stern also cites cloud server costs at AWS, which seems like it would be miniscule)

All that said, it would be neat and doesn't seem like it would be hard to implement a custom High Score table on every IC game that lists the top 5 scoring accounts on a machine. (In addition to the normal HSTD board). Then you could see how the family ranks because dad dominated the traditional HSTD board

#6283 17 days ago

Thanks for your reply, I think it's good for the IC team to hear from as many as possible on Home Boards.

For me I have 7 IC pins, home leaderboards would make a huge difference. You have a point that the scores are on the pins, but.... Having IC Home Leaderboards would, for me, give me a chance to have home events where everyone can see where they are on the board just not the GC and 2-4th place. In addition I can have it on my TV's adding to the home event. Also I could leave the board in place and it could be a week, month or year long challenge for me and my friends. We use iScored.com now which is great but it's not integrated into IC. As an added bonus it would be great if I could run a virtual league and make my own badge people could earn (I know far reaching request here).

I see how everyone is interested on locations to see where you rank up compared to other on the bar\arcade TV's. There is no denying this is a thing.

Badge on everyone.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm always kinda surprised by how much demand there is for the home leaderboards. The games have built in score boards. And how many people do you have coming over to play that have IC accounts? To me it just doesn't seem like it would be used a lot, outside of people who regularly host private events.
I think Stern said they were also caught off guard by the demand. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of holding it back is still give operators *something* for their paid accounts. (Stern also cites cloud server costs at AWS, which seems like it would be miniscule)
All that said, it would be neat and doesn't seem like it would be hard to implement a custom High Score table on every IC game that lists the top 5 scoring accounts on a machine. (In addition to the normal HSTD board). Then you could see how the family ranks because dad dominated the traditional HSTD board

#6284 16 days ago

I have six IC pins and for the most part, 99% of their play is done by me. However, we still have folks gather at our home for holidays and get-togethers and folks like to play pinball. I have been resetting my pins' high scores every time one of those weekends comes around so that folks can feel like they're achieving something by getting to put their initials in, but it means that I'm constantly re-earning all those mode-specific high scores afterwards. Having a Home Leaderboard would mean I could leave my high scores in and folks could just track their high scores against everyone else in real-time, all at once, with longer/deeper scoring lists.

#6285 16 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think Stern said they were also caught off guard by the demand. And I wouldn't be surprised if part of holding it back is still give operators *something* for their paid accounts

Operators don't have paid accounts - they are free.

#6286 16 days ago

Has anyone found a way to disable the John Wick contract notifications without resorting to disabling all notifications from the whole app?

I don't have a John Wick and can't really get to one on-location more often than, say, once every few weeks.

#6287 16 days ago

Data that stern Cant see... the number of times i walk up to a stern, with phone and QR at the ready and .... oh shit no IC on SM

All the older games feel really old

Pre IC is going to be the new catagory tab.

#6288 16 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm definitely one of those people. I think it would be fun for home parties. This would take nothing away from location play, I don't understand that argument. My wife, brother, kids, and a handful of casual pinball friends don't care about location pinball. If anything, seeing a live leaderboard may get them more interested, and maybe they will sign in at the location and get more involved, rather than the casual quarters they put in occasionally and bat the ball around. Holding back a feature that may get casual players more engaged seems insane to me.

I've said this a bunch of times on Pinside, but I'll say it again just in case someone from Stern is reading. WHY ISN'T THERE A HANDICAP SYSTEM!!!!! When we do have casual parties, often times people are turned off by multiplayer games because of the skill level gap. My wife plays a few games a year, if that. It's not fun for her because she watches me play a fairly long ball on a machine I know well, and she drains quickly. She is instantly disengaged and might not play again for months. Sure, she should "play better!" but she is just playing casually. She will never be into it like I am. I'd like to see a novice setting. Maybe it doesn't get achievements. 60 second ball save, easy extra balls. Obviously home games only. I'd also be OK with an advanced mode. No ball save, no extra balls. There should be some equalizer to keep people interested.

#6289 16 days ago

Didn't George Gomez touch on the AWS storage requirements basically not support IC in its current free state? Aka. It would cost money to host all the data?

#6290 16 days ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'm definitely one of those people. I think it would be fun for home parties. This would take nothing away from location play, I don't understand that argument. My wife, brother, kids, and a handful of casual pinball friends don't care about location pinball. If anything, seeing a live leaderboard may get them more interested, and maybe they will sign in at the location and get more involved, rather than the casual quarters they put in occasionally and bat the ball around. Holding back a feature that may get casual players more engaged seems insane to me.
I've said this a bunch of times on Pinside, but I'll say it again just in case someone from Stern is reading. WHY ISN'T THERE A HANDICAP SYSTEM!!!!! When we do have casual parties, often times people are turned off by multiplayer games because of the skill level gap. My wife plays a few games a year, if that. It's not fun for her because she watches me play a fairly long ball on a machine I know well, and she drains quickly. She is instantly disengaged and might not play again for months. Sure, she should "play better!" but she is just playing casually. She will never be into it like I am. I'd like to see a novice setting. Maybe it doesn't get achievements. 60 second ball save, easy extra balls. Obviously home games only. I'd also be OK with an advanced mode. No ball save, no extra balls. There should be some equalizer to keep people interested.

I like this idea a lot, since we can load in difficulty settings (very easy to very hard) on most modern games in settings, why couldn't the easiest setting be applied to a specific Insider Connected account? I play a lot of Golden Tee with friends, and the handicap system makes all of our matches close and fun, even though some players are 15 shots better than others. Apply the easiest game settings currently in the system menus to novice players, and the most difficult settings to the highly ranked players. Come on Stern!

#6291 16 days ago
Quoted from Gubbin:

Didn't George Gomez touch on the AWS storage requirements basically not support IC in its current free state? Aka. It would cost money to host all the data?

stern log pro only $5/mo per game!

#6292 16 days ago

I met a guy a couple weeks ago at location that kept wanting to show his IC on his phone to people to prove how many games he plays.

#6293 16 days ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I met a guy a couple weeks ago at location that kept wanting to show his IC on his phone to people to prove how many games he plays.

Look Ryan I’ve played 1104 AND the time is 11:04 look LOOK L@@K
IMG_9381 (resized).pngIMG_9381 (resized).png

#6294 16 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

Look Ryan I’ve played 1104
[quoted image]

LOL. Show offs. Quality not quantity.

#6295 16 days ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

LOL. Show offs. Quality not quantity.

I have no idea if that’s a lot or a little

#6296 16 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

Look Ryan I’ve played 1104 AND the time is 11:04 look LOOK L@@K
[quoted image]

Woah! I have 1126 played and it's 11:26! (Ok, it was 11:24 when I looked so I had to wait to post this!)
Screenshot_20240629_112613_Stern IC (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240629_112613_Stern IC (resized).jpg

#6297 16 days ago
Quoted from Gubbin:

IC is such a small IoT system that their bill should be under 1k-2k/month unless they are doing something really proprietary or legacy. They should be able to use dynamodb for their primary db and store everything forever and cost should not even be a conversation.

#6298 16 days ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

IC is such a small IoT system that their bill should be under 1k-2k/month unless they are doing something really proprietary or legacy. They should be able to use dynamodb for their primary db and store everything forever and cost should not even be a conversation.

Exactly. Consider iScored has a one-time charge and presumably isn't losing money.

#6299 15 days ago
Quoted from bwalter:

I have six IC pins and for the most part, 99% of their play is done by me. However, we still have folks gather at our home for holidays and get-togethers and folks like to play pinball. I have been resetting my pins' high scores every time one of those weekends comes around so that folks can feel like they're achieving something by getting to put their initials in, but it means that I'm constantly re-earning all those mode-specific high scores afterwards. Having a Home Leaderboard would mean I could leave my high scores in and folks could just track their high scores against everyone else in real-time, all at once, with longer/deeper scoring lists.

FWIW, you can export your high scores to USB and restore them after your friends/family visit. This is what I do since IC doesn't track all those other high score challenges.

I too support the idea of home leaderboards although I wouldn't pay for the privilege.

#6300 15 days ago

Anyone else having trouble getting their last June quest for JP.

I have played multiple 100mil games and still not badge even tho activity shows scores ….

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,499 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 127.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.