Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-210002 (resized).png
Screenshot_20220705-225627_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240303-160259 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-160308 (resized).png
IMG_7516 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 123.
#501 2 years ago

Wonder how many folks with game code mods will adopt this (as you'll need official unmodded code)? Granted the game mods add a ton of media but the functionality / competition factor may win over some more than others. Seems as though with GotG recent update, Stern has locked the ability to be able to use Pinbrowser to make mods.

#502 2 years ago

Is it too hard to ask for Blue Tooth Stern???? Before we get to all of this BS stuff, how about offering basic technology from 10 years ago??

#503 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Plus, static QR code is worse for player security.
"Look, I printed off a QR code so I don't have to use my phone!".
Three beers later:
"Fuck, I lost my card!"
Now some dingus has your card. Maybe not a big issue in the scheme of things, but a dynamic security QR code that the pin generates and displays on the screen has other benefits, not just eliminating a QR reader from each pin.

You guys are over thinking this - it's not bank level security - it's a f'n arcade game

Quoted from Dent00:

One thing about this entire effort that makes it a little bit fruitless in my opinion is the fact that you have to load an app on your phone to read the QR code on the machine you are playing. So what happens if you don't have a phone that will read a QR code? That is me... I have a phone that makes phone calls and sends text messages just fine, but I never turn on the data... In fact, I keep the "data" turned off to avoid those charges. The phone even takes great Hires photographs. It's a 4G phone by the way and AT&T keeps sending me messages and junk mail that I have to upgrade to a 5G phone to be able to continue to use data. Since I never use any data, I just ignore those messages. I don't see why the machine cannot just connect to wifi at the location where it is located so that I don't have to pay for the data transmission, to be honest.

As said a million times, for you non smart phone guys, print out the QR code and carry it in your wallet - or turn on your data most likely you are already paying for data in your phone plan and just not using it.

#504 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

You guys are over thinking this - it's not bank level security - it's a f'n arcade game

What you on about, someone stealing my stern QR code is my biggest fear I don’t know what I’d do if it ever happened

#505 2 years ago

no cell phone here , how's this gonna to work ?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#506 2 years ago

You can also likely simply screenshot your qr code and put in your camera gallery or camera roll.

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I love new technology, probably too much.
But this isn’t new technology. This just brings them to 2010. It’s the bare minimum tech wise.
From my perspective what they’ve shown so far is pedestrian at best - I’m not an operator, I rarely play on location. Pokémon collecting was never my thing.
So I’m waiting to be wowed. And I realize they haven’t revealed everything. Show me something truly groundbreaking or something that improves on the original and I’ll be there with bells on.

I know this isn’t what you were going for, but give me a Pokémon pin with this! Collect them all and save on the app. Have to go to different areas to play the pin to get different types of Pokémon. Oh man, my imagination is going wild with this idea haha

#508 2 years ago

me reading some of the replys in this thread

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
#509 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

me reading some of the replys in this thread[quoted image]

To be fair, that cloud had it coming…

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

As said a million times, for you non smart phone guys, print out the QR code and carry it in your wallet - or turn on your data most likely you are already paying for data in your phone plan and just not using it.

:
I signed up for the basic Stern Insider program and I don't see a QR code coming up on the Stern website.
It appears that you have to pay $39.00 for an upgrade in order to get that code, which will not be happening in my case.

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:
I signed up for the basic Stern Insider program and I don't see a QR code coming up on the Stern website.
It appears that you have to pay $39.00 for an upgrade in order to get that code, which will not be happening in my case.

Because it isn't live yet....

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:

The insider "Connected" hasn't launched yet. You don't have to buy in to get a user QR code, you just have to wait for them to exist.

#513 2 years ago

Did they announce this before they were ready to ease the pain of the price hikes, which apparently couldn't wait for this feature to be ready?

#514 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Did they announce this before they were ready to ease the pain of the price hikes, which apparently couldn't wait for this feature to be ready?

Yeah God forbid Stern announces something and it isn't ready for two weeks.

Meanwhile the "announce" and "release" gap for every other pinball company is months to years...

A lot of these complaints seem to be in the "Such terrible food...and the portions are so small!" universe of whining. I have almost no interest in this project...but I'm gonna complain about how shitty it might turn out to be!!! And where is it already?!

#515 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:
I don't use a cell phone for access to the internet.
I use a computer for that with wifi access on broadband.
I don't use facebook or any other apps of any kind, especially from a cell phone.
The phone makes phone calls and sends SMS text messages for free, so if there is any charge for data, it is too much.
I don't think I should have to pay anything for "data" on a cell phone that I never use, but that is just my opinion.

Well, I guess this feature is not meant for you. Scroll further, nothing to see here for you.

#516 2 years ago

Haven't been in the market for a Stern for about 2 years... looks like it might be another 2 before I think about another one... hopefully by then they have this tried, delivered, failed to launch, and retired and we can go back to wanting normal things in our pinball machines like toys and targets, and flashers, and lights, and sounds, and bumpers and slings and just about anything else you could want in a coin operated amusement machine designed to be played casually amongst friends in a face to face social gathering. If I want to play head to head or compare dick length achievements, I will ask a couple of friends to come over and play some pinball and then maybe later we can whip out a ruler.

#517 2 years ago

Jared is watching this thread closely, as he does with all Stern product threads.

#518 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Haven't been in the market for a Stern for about 2 years... looks like it might be another 2 before I think about another one... hopefully by then they have this tried, delivered, failed to launch, and retired and we can go back to wanting normal things in our pinball machines like toys and targets, and flashers, and lights, and sounds, and bumpers and slings and just about anything else you could want in a coin operated amusement machine designed to be played casually amongst friends in a face to face social gathering. If I want to play head to head or compare dick length achievements, I will ask a couple of friends to come over and play some pinball and then maybe later we can whip out a ruler.

While I kind of agree with you in principle, THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE WANT.

They don't really know what it is, but they've been asking for it for 10 years. Seems silly to make fun of Stern for trying to give it to them. Hopefully it ends up fulfilling the "connected/wi fi" wishes of so many. For those who aren't interested, just ignore it. I never operated my Dialed In flippers with my phone and yet I still managed to enjoy that game.

#519 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Haven't been in the market for a Stern for about 2 years...

Then this isn't geared towards you anyway. Move on.

#520 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Then this is geared towards you anyway. Move on.

Yeah the idea that he suddenly would have bought the Stern game that he hasn't wanted for two years if they HADN'T announced this project is very...Bubblehead!

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfanoz:

Wonder how many folks with game code mods will adopt this (as you'll need official unmodded code)? Granted the game mods add a ton of media but the functionality / competition factor may win over some more than others. Seems as though with GotG recent update, Stern has locked the ability to be able to use Pinbrowser to make mods.

Yep. No way I'm giving up my movie soundstrack and callouts on GOTG for this.

#522 2 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

What you on about, someone stealing my stern QR code is my biggest fear I don’t know what I’d do if it ever happened

I plan to create an account and print business cards with the QR code on them and leave a stack on every location pin I find inviting the random public to use them.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

You’ll abobaleebobo and you’ll like it!!!!

#524 2 years ago
Quoted from luch:

[quoted image]

I'm not sure why people don't get this. It's not you or your phone that need an internet connection, this whole thing is about putting the pin on the internet. If it was using your phone's connection they wouldn't need to add a wifi and scanner to the pin, it would just be a QR code sticker.

#525 2 years ago
Quoted from luch:

[quoted image]

Don’t worry, the entire system seems to be designed for dinosaurs like you.

#526 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Don’t worry, the entire system seems to be designed for dinosaurs like you.

That point is so odd, like catering to the lowest common dominator. They are never going to get it anyway. Just focus this functionality at the demographic that wants it. If you don't have your phone online this is not for you.

#527 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A lot of these complaints seem to be in the "Such terrible food...and the portions are so small!" universe of whining. I have almost no interest in this project...but I'm gonna complain about how shitty it might turn out to be!!! And where is it already?!

Yeah, LOL @ people who have no interest or it isn't their thing, yet feel the need to go online and criticize and complain about it. They fall into the exact same category as this Yelp review...

image0(1) (resized).jpegimage0(1) (resized).jpeg
#528 2 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Y'all bitch that no one innovates. No one does x,y,z..then someone does..and ya bitch more. Sometimes the over grown babies in this hobby still manage to surprise me.

It's funny, I always hear it said that people on Pinside want innovation, but I've never seen anyone asking for that in the threads I'm in.

I see people asking for better quality pfs, better value, and more reliable parts and mechs. I also hear people asking for more stuff under the glass and more assets, and I see them complaining about having to wait 6 months to a year for their game to ship.

But you know what I never hear, people asking for innovation.

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

It's funny, I always hear it said that people on Pinside want innovation, but I've never seen anyone asking for that in the threads I'm in.
I see people asking for better quality pfs, better value, and more reliable parts and mechs. I also hear people asking for more stuff under the glass and more assets, and I see them complaining about having to wait 6 months to a year for their game to ship.

I think it's both. If it was the same people at Stern then I think this is a valid argument. The physical part of the machine should always be first and the focus. The software guys are not doing layout and toys so I am all for innovation on that front. There is no reason these things should overlap.

#530 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

They fall into the exact same category as this Yelp review...

This is hands down the best business response to Yelp review I've ever seen!

#531 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

You know what I never hear... people citing the stuff that doesn't support their belief... like the talk about TNA or RM's locks... or RM bringing the pop bumper back at the flipper... or ACNC's toys... or the multi-level playfields in Holloween... or the ramps in AIQ hittable from 3 flippers.. or a multi-axis dinosaur head in JP...

You're right, everyone just talks about playfields and what game is next...

#532 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Innovation can mean different things. I want to see creative innovation: something cool and mechanical and interesting that affects gameplay in a new way that wows us like the first time we saw the BSD Mist Ball, Dr. Who’s Time Expander, MM’s castle, etc.

For me, Stern JP is fairly innovative. You’ve got an animating “living creature” with lots of animation like you’d see at a theme park, and it can eat the ball, drop it on a ramp, and throw it. In addition, the layout & shots & other playfield features like the captive ball car are totally unique - there’s innovation there.

That’s the innovation I like - things that are viscerally satisfying for the player.

#533 2 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

To be fair, that cloud had it coming…

You call that a CLOUD?!? That‘s no cloud, that‘s a joke! In MY days, we had REAL clouds!

#534 2 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

In MY days, we had REAL clouds!

in the snow... both ways... barefoot.

#535 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Innovation can mean different things. I want to see creative innovation: something cool and mechanical and interesting that affects gameplay in a new way that wows us like the first time we saw the BSD Mist Ball, Dr. Who’s Time Expander, MM’s castle, etc.
For me, Stern JP is fairly innovative. You’ve got an animating “living creature” with lots of animation like you’d see at a theme park, and it can eat the ball, drop it on a ramp, and throw it. In addition, the layout & shots & other playfield features like the captive ball car are totally unique - there’s innovation there.
That’s the innovation I like - things that are viscerally satisfying for the player.

This from the guy who hates Ghostbusters...

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

This is hands down the best business response to Yelp review I've ever seen!

thanks. there’s more where that came from on our Yelp page.

pro tip: find the filtered reviews if you want a couple of the more colorful ones.

#537 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Probably would require some special glass with embedded sensors that would only work with specific IR or prox sensors...yeah not sure how they would/could pull it off...which is why they probably limited this "verified" idea to location play

Yeah...okay....

My 80 buck 3d printer curing station can tell whether the lid is on or off with a sticker that says "DO NOT REMOVE" and an opto set.....but Stern's detection would have to be super complicated? I don't think so. Any measures they take to ensure glass is on can be easily and swiftly defeated. Period.

#538 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah...okay....
My 80 buck 3d printer curing station can tell whether the lid is on or off with a sticker that says "DO NOT REMOVE" and an opto set.....but Stern's detection would have to be super complicated? I don't think so. Any measures they take to ensure glass is on can be easily and swiftly defeated. Period.

"Warning Keep hands away from mini-playfield"

#539 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

This a thousand times over. Now will the movie mod for JP work if you put the old code into it with the movie mod since all other parts are the same other than the QR and WiFi???

#540 2 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

This from the guy who hates Ghostbusters...

What does that have to do with his comments? How was ghostbusters innovative? Innovative because of the massive SDTM drains due to flipper gap?

#541 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

How was ghostbusters innovative?

Magna-slings, ecto goggles, subway roll thru ramp with diverted lock?
But you obviously just hate the game, so never mind.
I like the pro better myself, but to discredit the effort is just bashing.

#542 2 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Magna-slings, ecto goggles, subway roll thru ramp with diverted lock?
But you obviously just hate the game, so never mind.
I like the pro better myself, but to discredit the effort is just bashing.

That captive ball lock on the left side is pretty unique. Only think close I can think of is Algar.

#543 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You know what I never hear... people citing the stuff that doesn't support their belief... like the talk about TNA or RM's locks... or RM bringing the pop bumper back at the flipper... or ACNC's toys... or the multi-level playfields in Holloween... or the ramps in AIQ hittable from 3 flippers.. or a multi-axis dinosaur head in JP...
You're right, everyone just talks about playfields and what game is next...

Huh? Not quite following you.

All that stuff you listed isn't innovation, it's cool stuff under the glass. Which I agree people are definitely asking for. But most of the features you listed have been done before, at least in one form or another, in lots of past games.

To reiterate, I'm saying that I personally haven't heard anyone asking for "innovation". If anything, I hear people asking for games to be more like they were in the good ole days of the 90s.

I have nothing against this Insider Connected thing. Don't know enough to be for or against it. I'd need to see it in person, and I'd need to see how it develops before I could form an opinion. The operator stuff interests me most, since I have some games on location.

#544 2 years ago

I see part of the problem here; some people consider cool mechs and toys to be innovation. Whereas, others think of innovation as things like the Pinbar, qr readers, internet connectivity, screens in the pf, playing with your phone, ect.

So I think some of us are talking past each other inadvertently.

#545 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

This a thousand times over. Now will the movie mod for JP work if you put the old code into it with the movie mod since all other parts are the same other than the QR and WiFi???

More than likely not because there will be a hash check of sorts to verify the OG code vs. anything potentially modded of that code. If the hash doesn't match the hash of the OG code means you'll have to flash it to that to use the connected fun. (Not that I agree with it, but hey, they have a tight ship to run and you cant have extra vid clips and songs!)

#546 2 years ago

It's an innovative concept and I think it will take off. It's a good time to launch too, they're looking to expand audiences over the next decade.

Despite the resurgance of pinball, it's still comparable to harley davidson. Lots of cynical old dudes, not a lot of fresh blood. They need to increase coin drop and if a kid starts to get into it, and he gets a push notification that his high score got beat, or that they're in the running to win a t-shirt, it just might increase the chances they go back and play more.

If you don't use a cell phone, this isn't geared towards you clearly.

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

If you don't use a cell phone, this isn't geared towards you clearly.

Even the old farts have a cell phone….this is more about people who live that social media life vs. those who don’t. This will be fun for those who are social media users…and it will result in a cycle of free advertising for Stern to a younger demographic. There’s no downside to this thing, really….and this is coming from someone who probably wouldn’t use it.

#548 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

and this is coming from someone who probably wouldn’t use it.

To each their own.

If I got a message that said "Earn the Sparky badge by bashing him 100 times in a single ball, and I had 7 out of 10 badges, I would be like "eh, okay, let's give it a shot". Lets see if I can get 8 badges.

Lets all remember here that we're playing a game for fantasy points. Adding acheivments is exactly the same as working to beat a trillion points.

#549 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

...."eh, okay, let's give it a shot". Lets see if I can get 8 badges.

Basically a solo Pingolf round.

#550 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Basically a solo Pingolf round.

Sure. Sounds like fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
There are 6,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 123.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/11?hl=cloggeddrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.