Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,815 posts
  • 317 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by cooked71
  • Topic is favorited by 124 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8A97F67D-0C90-4BF0-BF3A-D42D19C14F2C (resized).jpeg
    5842314B-7777-414E-98F6-3789A0AEA498 (resized).jpeg
    8C2232E9-6E74-41D7-B896-39BD7121304E (resized).jpeg
    FD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpeg
    9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1437 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1435 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1436 (resized).jpg
    0F95DC87-F270-4CA1-A9E1-E8CE3F157E55 (resized).jpeg
    F2E64716-8051-4C90-B3BD-C2B24E93A28C (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0745 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0748 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4716 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.54.57 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.48.25 (resized).png
    B2D63D6A-CB3C-4CCC-B950-C0DD3182F524 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 37.
    #451 3 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Pindigo is still my favorite. Scorbit has been underwhelming and paying for Pinquest was just ridiculous when a local group/club can be established with the same effect.

There is no cost for a user(player) to use our app. Our app charges a location/operator either $5 per month for a count tracking tool, or a $20 per month option that allows operators to offer players of all skill set something to shoot for. $20 is nothing for the increased loyalty and increase in quarter drops a location using it will experience. We also have a report a broken machine function where you can alert an operator of broken machines, promotional email system where an op can send out specials to subscribed users, in app bulletin board so users know of upcoming events and other news specific to an operators location, virtual prize redemption that drop ships prizes to a users door and the ability to host contests. Oh and we also host national quests so everyone can experience the app if there are no participating locations near you. Check out the app if its been a while. We have made significant improvements over the last few years from when we launched.

#452 3 months ago

Will take in the morning. Unboxed this game set it up only to be told I had to vacate my basement for the kids sleepover….

#453 3 months ago

Did Gomez say you can update code over the internet?

#454 3 months ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

No.

#455 3 months ago

some one do an port scan on one

#456 3 months ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Listening to a bunch of old guys whine about new technology is funny. If this attracts more younger players then I am all for it. Plus I think it sounds pretty cool.

I love new technology, probably too much.

But this isn’t new technology. This just brings them to 2010. It’s the bare minimum tech wise.

From my perspective what they’ve shown so far is pedestrian at best - I’m not an operator, I rarely play on location. Pokémon collecting was never my thing.

So I’m waiting to be wowed. And I realize they haven’t revealed everything. Show me something truly groundbreaking or something that improves on the original and I’ll be there with bells on.

#457 3 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? when a USB port is more universal and does what is needed... the problem isn't there wasn't expansion, the poster wanted the radio built into the cpu board.

To be clear, the poster (me), isn't really concerned about the specific implementation. I fully concede that a USB dongle or some other modular way of doing the Wi-Fi is better. You made good points.

If I changed my original post to say "out of the box" instead of "on the cpu" would that make my problem clearer? Having Wi-Fi is now going to be an additional cost added on to a system that really should have had it out of the box. I don't think it is a hindsight thing, Spike 2 was designed in 2015 or so. Wi-Fi was pretty ubiquitous. There must've been a decision point to NOT include it back in the design phase, and I would have to guess that the option to sell it as an additional addon at some point was somewhere in that discussion.

When this was announced my first thought was that all Stern was going to need to do was enable the Wi-Fi through the firmware because the hardware was always capable and this was going to be a no brainer kinda thing. Just flabbergasted it wasn't already part of the platform. Now I am going to have to order some kit, paying the MSRP, plus exchange, plus shipping plus tax just to have even basic hardware capabilities that $100.00 DVD players had like 15 years ago. As an added bonus though I also get a QR reader! So, worth it?

At the end of the day, I will have a decision to make as to whether or not to adopt this system on my existing pins and now there is a barrier to entry that didn't really need to be there.

#458 3 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You are trying to argue the static 3" triangle on the apron is more IN YOUR FACE then the HUGE animated LCD Screen in the head of the game... you know where they put the TITLE of the game and thousands of hours of effort into making the draw of the game?

It’s ALWAYS there, so yes. How many people sit and watch an attract loop?

#459 3 months ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

To be clear, the poster (me), isn't really concerned about the specific implementation. I fully concede that a USB dongle or some other modular way of doing the Wi-Fi is better. You made good points.
    If I changed my original post to say "out of the box" instead of "on the cpu" would that make my problem clearer? Having Wi-Fi is now going to be an additional cost added on to a system that really should have had it out of the box. I don't think it is a hindsight thing, Spike 2 was designed in 2015 or so. Wi-Fi was pretty ubiquitous. There must've been a decision point to NOT include it back in the design phase, and I would have to guess that the option to sell it as an additional addon at some point was somewhere in that discussion.
    When this was announced my first thought was that all Stern was going to need to do was enable the Wi-Fi through the firmware because the hardware was always capable and this was going to be a no brainer kinda thing. Just flabbergasted it wasn't already part of the platform. Now I am going to have to order some kit, paying the MSRP, plus exchange, plus shipping plus tax just to have even basic hardware capabilities that $100.00 DVD players had like 15 years ago. As an added bonus though I also get a QR reader! So, worth it?
    At the end of the day, I will have a decision to make as to whether or not to adopt this system on my existing pins and now there is a barrier to entry that didn't really need to be there.

they had Ethernet and there are ethernet to wireless adapters. also usb wifi can just plug in.

#460 3 months ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

and with JJP and others it's free / buy an low cost wifi usb.

#461 3 months ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"04949bad369b6706cbd52aa84522c1da45a5c81a-1630122602-1800"};
    //]]>

Ok, assume the baseline that you’ve agreed that doing it as a module is a good idea. Now you face the question of “do I include it…”

You have no idea yet when the function will be needed/ready. But you know it can be trivially added after the fact by anyone without difficulty.

So why pay for it now… when you don’t even know if it will be used… when you know you can always go back and add it? There is no incentive to do so… its just throwing money away for “future proofing” that doesn’t need to be factory installed.

So that means its not greedy “haha we can sell this later!”… more like “we can always add this cheaper later if needed”. Maybe you sell it… maybe you bundle it. But the most critical decision is… “does it NEED to be factory installed?”. If not… then you have incentive to simply defer it… and tackle the cost when its needed.

But your concern over cost is why i have been asking ‘why the reader?’. It makes an upgrade go from trivial to real costs you gotta justify. There really needs to be a decisive reason behind such a choice. So far, we haven’t seen one

#462 3 months ago
    Quoted from DNO:

It’s ALWAYS there, so yes. How many people sit and watch an attract loop?

You don’t think the game has the person’s attention when the game starts? Is it not possible to convince the person AFTER their first game?

Notice how JJP/scorebit take the opportunity to try to hook you AFTER the game too?

Before the first coin drop is not the only time that matters…. You have lots more options and lots more times to make your push!

#463 3 months ago

….I see people every day that can’t find the start button…..

#464 3 months ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

George said something along the lines of code updates being the least exciting part of this platform. I understand that as it will be a feature.

#465 3 months ago
    Quoted from DudeRegular:

George said something along the lines of code updates being the least exciting part of this platform. I understand that as it will be a feature.

Agree, bare minimum, but still a great feature for home use and operators alike.

#466 3 months ago

Seems like a lot of you guys didn't listen to the stern insider podcast where George goes way more in depth on the features for both players and operators than he does in the YouTube video. He also says in the podcast that hes still bsrely scratching the surface on the things they will do with this. If you haven't listened, i highly reccomend it.

#467 3 months ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I agree, I'm sure they made a choice to not include it at the time. But I'd be flabbergasted if they did include an unused module in the BOM for every machine for 6 years. The whole point of a modular design is to facilitate additions like this over the life of the platform.

#468 3 months ago
    Quoted from OhmEye:

I agree, I'm sure they made a choice to not include it at the time. But I'd be flabbergasted if they did include an unused module in the BOM for every machine for 6 years. The whole point of a modular design is to facilitate additions like this over the life of the platform.

Adding WiFi to spike would be easy peasy as it’s Linux based, simple as plugging in a usb WiFi module they cost peanuts.

#469 3 months ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Adding WiFi to spike would be easy peasy as it’s Linux based, simple as plugging in a usb WiFi module they cost peanuts.

Stern not only keeps the BOM minimal, they even shave it for the Pro at expense of needing different manufacturing steps/parts. It's precisely because of how easy it is to add a ethernet/WIFI module to their modular platform that I would expect them to not add it until they have product support for it. As it turns out, the WIFI module itself is obviously a minor cost in the set of BOM changes needed, I think the apron bracket and camera are probably more cost than the network components but my point is that the benefit of a modular design is NOT having to add in advance everything you think you may use in the future.

A couple or more years from now, if their "Connected" platform matures into something actually deployed and adopted widely enough to be relevant we may consider it to be a good thing to have been included in all pins shipped for the past couple years by the time some reason appears for many of us to want to use it.

Personally I'm cynical but still a bit hopeful that eventually something will be done with this connectivity in a way that interests me.

#470 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Just unboxed my late july build Gotg Pro. Theres no QR reader but there is a big antenna going straight down from that right apron area. I guess thats half of the product for the wifi piece.

Alright guys i am a complete idiot. My first pin since they changed the rests for the playfield when lifting the playfield. I swear these long black plastic things look like antennas before you lift the playfield. Ha. Its just awkward long plastic things instead of those metal rails.

#471 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

Alright guys i am a complete idiot. My first pin since they changed the rests for the playfield when lifting the playfield. I swear these long black plastic things look like antennas before you lift the playfield. Ha. Its just awkward long plastic things instead of those metal rails.

lol! so that's what you meant! I forgot about the pegs, I hate them and the first thing I did was replace them with service rails.

#472 3 months ago

That is pretty funny. I'm surprised they are using the pegs on the newer GOTG runs as all the newer pros have service rails

#473 3 months ago

I listened to the podcast and am very excited for this. Having separate challenges and achievements seems fun. I really like the possibilities with this system. Now they just have to deliver and not let it fade out.

#474 3 months ago

So this is my first pro. Ive had 14 games and this is first pro. Are plastic aprons a pro thing? Or is stern moving to that across board. And the pegs? Is that more a pro thing?

#475 3 months ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

So this is my first pro. Ive had 14 games and this is first pro. Are plastic aprons a pro thing? Or is stern moving to that across board. And the pegs? Is that more a pro thing?

Yes. Pros have plastic aprons. The pros had pegs in the past but now have rails.

#476 3 months ago

I just read the transcript from Stern Insider.

GG discussed the component that is currently missing from their products is the fact that users don't log into a pinball machine, so Stern doesn't know who we are. So, Stern came up with a way to log us all in, "seamlessly".

GG also states there will be a "huge data mining effort that's going to be happening post-launch on our end".

Stern should be careful here IMO. Don't forget your target audience is largely based in old school dudes and people - of several generations, from kids through people in their 70's - who play pinball because it's got old school charm and we want to escape the generalized connectivity of phones and internet and just whack around some balls or occasionally go for the GC on a brain-burning modern Stern.

In fairness, GG states that the platform is evolving and implementation is open-ended at this point, so who knows where it will lead? Could be a good thing, could be fairly innocuous? Let's hope for both of those.

I sincerely hope they give owners of their $6600+ appliances the option to either opt out of the connectivity or make choices in a menu for exactly "how connected" and "what features" a home owner can decide to participate in.

#477 3 months ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Yes. Pros have plastic aprons. The pros had pegs in the past but now have rails.

Thx

#478 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I feel like that was true of older ops who’d just toss stuff at a bowling alley & collect the cash box. I think modern ops, especially barcade owners are totally about keeping games current, clean & working.

Not saying this is the norm but I wish what you said was true for the place near me. The closest place to me with more than 1 or 2 pins is a barcade with 10+ games, and some pretty good games but man do they not keep up with their machines. I was there last night, have been several times, last night might have been my last.
    Metallica - Right Flipper when works but when flipped is probably at more than a 45 degree angle.
    Jurassic Park - Control room shot leads back to SDTM, right ramp exit is pure chaos, top right flipper lacks enough power, tower shot almost impossible, missed helicopter shot instead of hitting left flipper hits the left sling.
    Spiderman - weak upper flipper, very hard to make the ramp that is only hittable from this flipper.
    Rick and Morty - upper flipper is weak, must hit the shots required from there near perfect to have a chance at the garage/ramp.
    Terminator 3 - upper backglass game - ball can't hit the highest shots.
    Avengers(older one, not AIQ) - targets/standups in the middle of the playfield don't work as expected, flipper power barely allows for the balls to get to the top part of the playfield.

Other Games that are working well enough to hit everything.
    Ghostbusters
    LOTR
    Dark Knight
    GOTG
    2 different Star wars games.
    Deadpool
    Terminator 2

All of the playfields are extremely dirty. This is a great place that has a good number of games, and then a huge arcade section with tons of younger people and a place i think that would benefit from whatever these new achievement features are. They draw a decent crowd but the pinballs are neglected maintenance wise.

Sorry for off topic rant, and this is possibly an exception to the rule, but I'm just bummed that this place is not better maintaining their pinball machines as they have a nice selection of good games.

#479 3 months ago

I can just see the user testimonials now...

“I like it so much, I got told to Fuck Off on Pinside!”! -Jon E. NY, NY

#480 3 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Ever heard of TOPS?

No actually I have not. What is it?

#481 3 months ago

Wonder what the cost will be for operators, hope it’s reasonable! Stern is going to make a killing on this.

#482 3 months ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

That is pretty funny. I'm surprised they are using the pegs on the newer GOTG runs as all the newer pros have service rails

My SW Pro made 3/29/21 has the pegs...

#483 3 months ago
    Quoted from crujones4life:

My SW Pro made 3/29/21 has the pegs...

I bought a Guardians late last year. I too was surprised that the pegs were on it. Look in the feature matrix though and it says the pro has the pegs so my guess is if it's in the feature matrix it will never change. They did upgrade a few things but nothing major that was listed in the matrix.

#484 3 months ago

Not that interested but two possible upsides in future.

Autoloding ruleset levels adopted individual for different players, eg. kids could have easier reaching wiz-m multiballs etc.

If pinball take a turn for progression and story mode, you could have game continuing where you left of so to speak.

#486 3 months ago
    Quoted from OhmEye:

Stern not only keeps the BOM minimal, they even shave it for the Pro at expense of needing different manufacturing steps/parts. It's precisely because of how easy it is to add a ethernet/WIFI module to their modular platform that I would expect them to not add it until they have product support for it. As it turns out, the WIFI module itself is obviously a minor cost in the set of BOM changes needed, I think the apron bracket and camera are probably more cost than the network components but my point is that the benefit of a modular design is NOT having to add in advance everything you think you may use in the future.
    A couple or more years from now, if their "Connected" platform matures into something actually deployed and adopted widely enough to be relevant we may consider it to be a good thing to have been included in all pins shipped for the past couple years by the time some reason appears for many of us to want to use it.
    Personally I'm cynical but still a bit hopeful that eventually something will be done with this connectivity in a way that interests me.

ethernet is part of the spike2 cpu board and WIFI module can just plug into an usb port on the cpu board.

#487 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Autoloding ruleset levels adopted individual for different players, eg. kids could have easier reaching wiz-m multiballs etc.

Quoted from Dr-pin:

If pinball take a turn for progression and story mode, you could have game continuing where you left of so to speak.

I would love it if they can make this happen! Family rules vs my rules are far apart. Easier multi-ball for the kiddos without having to go into the menus would be worth it alone, but that is just me.

#488 3 months ago

will OS updates / Connected updated be tied to game code updates? or will they happen with out needing wait for the next game code update?

#489 3 months ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

will OS updates / Connected updated be tied to game code updates? or will they happen with out needing wait for the next game code update?

that hasn't been released yet, but i would assume that you will need an update once you connect the wifi dongle and or the qr reader. it is probably an update to the backend OS and will be universal across the games. the achievements will most likely be a seperate update(s) as the achievements are created.

#490 3 months ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

that hasn't been released yet, but i would assume that you will need an update once you connect the wifi dongle and or the qr reader. it is probably an update to the backend OS and will be universal across the games. the achievements will most likely be a seperate update(s) as the achievements are created.

but will backend OS be updated faster then game code updates?

Will older games just get 1 update and then not get an one?

#491 3 months ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

So I’m waiting to be wowed.

Find a new hobby. Pinball really isn't in the "wow" business. At least since the add-a-ball days.

#492 3 months ago

One thing about this entire effort that makes it a little bit fruitless in my opinion is the fact that you have to load an app on your phone to read the QR code on the machine you are playing. So what happens if you don't have a phone that will read a QR code? That is me... I have a phone that makes phone calls and sends text messages just fine, but I never turn on the data... In fact, I keep the "data" turned off to avoid those charges. The phone even takes great Hires photographs. It's a 4G phone by the way and AT&T keeps sending me messages and junk mail that I have to upgrade to a 5G phone to be able to continue to use data. Since I never use any data, I just ignore those messages. I don't see why the machine cannot just connect to wifi at the location where it is located so that I don't have to pay for the data transmission, to be honest.

#493 3 months ago

.....take my...

$199...?

#494 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:you have to load an app on your phone to read the QR code on the machine you are playing.

This isn’t true. The QR code on the game is just a shortcut to get their app so you can make an account, if you want to go the smartphone route.

You can alternately do this on the web with a computer, get and print the QR code for your account and use that print to ID yourself to the game’s scanner, then check your achievements and such later via the web.

#495 3 months ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

. In fact, I keep the "data" turned off to avoid those charges. ...AT&T ...

Damn dude you need to get a new carrier if data usage costs too much

#496 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Damn dude you need to get a new carrier if data usage costs too much

:
    I don't use a cell phone for access to the internet.
    I use a computer for that with wifi access on broadband.
    I don't use facebook or any other apps of any kind, especially from a cell phone.
    The phone makes phone calls and sends SMS text messages for free, so if there is any charge for data, it is too much.
    I don't think I should have to pay anything for "data" on a cell phone that I never use, but that is just my opinion.

#497 3 months ago

You don't need a phone. You can create your account with any web browser. You can print your account QR code on a card to carry with you, or tattoo it on your forehead. Connected pins will have a QR scanner/camera in the apron to scan your QR code, whether it's on paper or a phone screen. That seemed pretty clear to me from the info released so far.

#498 3 months ago

I may not care as much about this but bribed my teenager to watch Gomez vid knowing he would have a better pulse on it. Thought Stern did well, good for locations, tourneys, and local shows for prizes etc but asked when the paywall starts. Lol

Maybe when it’s called Insider + in a year from now?

#499 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Find a new hobby. Pinball really isn't in the "wow" business. At least since the add-a-ball days.

That’s the spirit. Sounds like you need to find a new hobby if you're that jaded Levi.

#500 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m must be wow-less. I disable the add-a-ball feature

There are 1,815 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 37.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside