IMG_3005 (resized).jpg
DA6CA7EE-67FB-4469-A0BF-E0C207C825C4 (resized).jpeg
ICAudio (resized).jpg
ICCabling (resized).jpg
46E3A32D-9E80-44B5-88DD-C1C17F4EEE40 (resized).jpeg
948693BF-BF90-4E91-AC04-0910A044368A (resized).jpeg
CB182AC8-3AE1-4D38-9684-6D846BE6FBCD (resized).jpeg
0F36E3C4-5CBA-460D-B282-EDB5D5270F41 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gotfrogs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

===============
3/10/23 Update: The standard mounting kit is now available as a metal mount and includes a protective acrylic lens.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount
===============

I have an EHOH with some cool screens installed in the apron and did not want to remove them to accommodate the IC QR code reader. I am really happy with how things turned out and am going to sell the mounting assembly as a kit. If you are interested or want to buy one they will be available first come first served and start shipping in less than two week. PM me for details or post any questions in this thread.
IMG_0759 (resized).jpgIMG_0759 (resized).jpgIMG_0760 (resized).jpgIMG_0760 (resized).jpg

#3 2 years ago

I am planning on selling them for $39. The kit will include the mounting bracket, mounting hardware and cable needed to relocate the reader (not included).

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

This is brilliant!

Thanks so much! I have been planning the idea ever since the IC hardware was announced. With the code release today I was finally able to try it out in my machine. It works and looks great. I think it is a really good option for home use machines.

#7 2 years ago

The other good news is if you own a Batman, Elvira, Beatles, Star Wars Premium, or certain Stranger Things Pro machines, this mount should allow you to place an order for the standard premium/LE IC kit from Stern now and not have to wait on them to release a custom apron.

#10 2 years ago

The QR reader is about 1/4 the size of the dollar bill collector slot. My kit will provide a bracket with the appropriate mounting hardware and long cable necessary to reach the door.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks Wmsfan, I think the apron is appropriate for location machines but for home use machines, especially LE or premium ones, the coin door seems better to me. The darn coin door should serve some purpose for us, right?

#14 2 years ago

Nope! Great question though. The kit comes with a cable that allows you to keep everything connected.

#16 2 years ago

For those of you interested, you can order one here or message me about ordering multiples at a discount.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05569-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

So this can work if you added the UV kit to a Stranger Things pro then, correct?

Yes, should work when Stern released new code that supports IC and assuming you have an available RJ45 node board outlet. I don't have that game but have tried it on Elvira and Iron maiden. My Elvira had one of the two port under the front left apron available. On Iron Maiden both ports were in use so I had to connect to the main board in the back box. The kit comes with a cable long enough to attach to either of these locations and still be able to raise and lower the playfield without disconnecting anything.

I am going to a friend's today that has a Stranger Things LE and will confirm what ports are available.

#19 2 years ago

Here is a close up picture of what the mount looks like from the front before it is installed. I am working on the instruction manual now and plan on shipping the first batch of parts tomorrow! Those of you that ordered some should receive your tracking numbers.

72FF23F6-F3D1-417F-9D54-ECBE779C8454 (resized).jpeg72FF23F6-F3D1-417F-9D54-ECBE779C8454 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#20 2 years ago

All order that have been placed up through yesterday will have shipped today. I will be out of town this weekend but will resume shipping any new order on Tuesday next week.

2 weeks later
#22 2 years ago

Glad you and your friends like it. Thanks for the positive feedback!

#23 2 years ago

I had a special request to make the mount compatible with a volume control / headphone Jack mod. I have completed the design and will be offering these when requested. The current design is compatible with the pinball life one but I hope to have the Stern design completed in a few days.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-2-headphone-jack-assembly.html

Here is an unpainted prototype without the QR reader installed. Pm me if you are interested in this variant.

09F74C4D-4C6A-4377-91E7-B8A13CDDAFE1 (resized).jpeg09F74C4D-4C6A-4377-91E7-B8A13CDDAFE1 (resized).jpeg
#24 2 years ago

Here is the finished product!

IMG_1370 (resized).jpgIMG_1370 (resized).jpg
#26 2 years ago

I know have an option that will work with the pinball life and Stern volume controls ( you just utilize their PCBA, mounting hardware and cable). If you want one of these they are the same price. Just PM me to order.

4B7FC90A-D4ED-4612-BB1A-E9ECF16BFB38 (resized).jpeg4B7FC90A-D4ED-4612-BB1A-E9ECF16BFB38 (resized).jpegA28D85A2-B552-48D7-BDB1-9F8AD8A19C7D (resized).jpegA28D85A2-B552-48D7-BDB1-9F8AD8A19C7D (resized).jpeg
#32 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Awesome! Just a shame we don’t have those slots on U.K. coin doors

Can you send me a picture of your coin door? I would be happy to try and make a U.K. configuration if something is possible.

#36 2 years ago

Sorry, not much to work with there. I think if you have that coin door you are better off sticking with an apron mount.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Maybe you could come up with a box that installs on top of the tournament button hole thats under the start button. It wouldnt be flush of course which might be a deal breaker dependong on how much it sticks out.

That is a great idea but I don't have a machine like that to test it on and honestly don't think it would look that great sticking out from the cabinet.

Pinballaddicted what is that cut out for in the bottom left of the coin door. The location is very close to the edge of the frame (and coin box) but it could work. Are there any threaded studs on the back side in that area?

#42 2 years ago

Are you aware on anywhere online that sells that coin door? The ones I am finding online look different and don't appear to have a bill acceptor knock out.
https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/coin-doors-mechanisms/stern-1-slot-uk-eu-coin-door/

If you would be willing to mail me the knock-out plate, I could probably use that to design something and then mail it back to you with a mounting bracket. This is what I did with the Stern and Pinball Life audio boards.

#44 2 years ago

I have 3 remaining standard mounts available and ready to ship. I will be on vacation starting tomorrow so all orders placed after tonight will not start shipping until January 24th. If you place an order for one of the three remaining kits, they will be shipped tomorrow. The custom audio control compatible mounting kits will also not begin shipping until 1/24/22.

Thanks again for all of the support and positivity feedback. I have enjoyed working on this project and serving an unmet customer need.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Love the idea and wish I could implement on mine but all my games have headphone stations in the coin doors
Well done Gotfrogs

Which brand? I have ones that are compatible with the stern and Pinball life headphone jack and volume control.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I'm still wanting to get one of these at some point. Where is everyone ordering the actual Stern QR reader from?
Quick question about the mounting plate. I notice it's flat printed so when it's mounted on the coin door it sits *behind* the metal. Could it be printed in such a way that the portion in the coutout of the coin door is raised, so it's actually flush with the front of the coin door when mounted?

This is a great question. I made a design decision to make the bracket flat on the front and not have a raised portion that would be flush with the front of the coin door. This greatly simplifies the design with minimal impact on visual appeal or functionality. If it is not done correctly it can have the opposite effect and look even worse. I plan to have some different offerings in the near future and this is a feature I might try and include at some point.

1 week later
#54 2 years ago

I am happy to announce that going forward, the standard coin door mounts will be made of metal and powder coated. Price will remain the same and they will start shipping on Monday. The audio out versions will continue to be made from black ABS and painted.

51CC24A3-3E44-44CA-9648-589EAEB972F0 (resized).jpeg51CC24A3-3E44-44CA-9648-589EAEB972F0 (resized).jpeg
#58 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

The reader has a plastic cover on it which will fill the cut out in the mount. I actually have clear protective lenses on order that can be sandwiched between the mount and the reader. I hope to take delivery of them next week and will post details at that time. These will be intended primarily for location installations but could also be added as extra protection for home use.

CB3A2050-8CEB-4FB9-96B3-24BF3F671EF4 (resized).jpegCB3A2050-8CEB-4FB9-96B3-24BF3F671EF4 (resized).jpeg
#59 2 years ago

If you live in Canada, Nitro pinball now has stock of my kits. You can order direct from them and probably save on shipping.
https://nitropinball.com/products/insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount-in-stock

#60 2 years ago

Acrylic screen protectors came in today and they look great. They are a drop in accessory for the metal mounts. I will post them for sale on pinside tonight.

51858BC1-A58A-47D8-B944-EC22BED82CC3 (resized).jpeg51858BC1-A58A-47D8-B944-EC22BED82CC3 (resized).jpeg9EDB4797-585E-4C38-9016-EC590862AD6E (resized).jpeg9EDB4797-585E-4C38-9016-EC590862AD6E (resized).jpegE4973565-4835-45D4-A4A5-EADD92DE26C7 (resized).jpegE4973565-4835-45D4-A4A5-EADD92DE26C7 (resized).jpeg
#62 2 years ago

I just sold out of metal mounts today. I hope to have more in stock next week but it is probably looking like the week of the 14th before I will be shipping them out.

#65 2 years ago

I ordered an insider connected kit from flip-n-out and coin taker early on and both have been delivered. Hopefully back orders get filled and they show up in stock at places this month. And hopefully I have plenty of mounting kits available as well!

1 week later
#66 2 years ago

Additional metal brackets are scheduled to arrive this Wednesday. I hope to get all open orders processed and shipped the same day. Sorry for the delay to those of you who have been waiting.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

The clear coverings didn’t show up on the store for me. Did you run out?

The cover can be purchased with the mount here: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

If you already have a mount and would like one of the lenses PM me.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Awesome idea!
Just a constructive thought...
Have you ever considered bead rolling a flange or having them stamped?
The panel not sitting flush to the coin door is a deal killer for my OCD.

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered this but chose this keep the design simple and the cost down. The mount is flat and recessed by the thickness of the door. Being black and in the coin door, you really don’t even see the thing when playing.

#71 2 years ago

I got a batch of brackets back from powder coating today. All outstanding orders should be mailed out today. If you don’t get a tracking number from pinside let me know and I will get one to you.

#73 2 years ago

Buy my kit or sell the reader to somebody looking to upgrade.

#74 2 years ago

If you purchased one of my coin door mounts, I would love to see a picture of it installed on your game, especially if it is a game I don't own (Jurassic Park, Elvira HOH or Godzilla).

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

What’s the difference between the pinball life and regular stern headphone Jack? Just a different space between the plug and volume or what?

Yep, like docquest mentioned they have different mounting hardware and spacing. One uses screws and the other uses the nuts that lock onto the volume and headphone Jack.

Here is what the Stern Audio board and mount look like from the back (with the PCBA transferred over).
5C4DB36B-83BC-418B-865C-F93B00E1307F (resized).jpeg5C4DB36B-83BC-418B-865C-F93B00E1307F (resized).jpegAF660414-5F77-481B-B609-D0F9ACDD38D0 (resized).jpegAF660414-5F77-481B-B609-D0F9ACDD38D0 (resized).jpeg

#82 2 years ago

I have three metal brackets that have some small cosmetic scuffs in the powder coating that I am selling at a discount.

1 kit $20 USA shipping included
2 kits $30 USA shipping included
3 kits $40 USA shipping included

Will come with cable(s) and instructions.I only have these 3, PM me if you would like one.

F31205D5-F664-479C-84FF-6D82FC65ACE4 (resized).jpegF31205D5-F664-479C-84FF-6D82FC65ACE4 (resized).jpeg
#83 2 years ago

One is spoken for. Two are still available.

#84 2 years ago

All three have been purchased and are no longer available. Thanks for the interest.

1 week later
#88 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

For those of us that have pinovators headphone kits installed in the coin door. Do you think it's possible to relocate to a leg bolt mount like a pin gulp or a pinsound headphone jack? Not as elegant as what you have for sure but I'm just bouncing an idea off you.

I considered that but thought that it would not look very nice. The reader is rather large so it would not be a small add on. In your case, I think I would stick with an in apron mount.

#89 2 years ago

I am down to two metal coin door mounting kits. Next batch should come back from powder-coating late next week. If you don't want to wait, order now. First come first serve. If you order more than 2, your shipment will be held until the next batch comes in.

#90 2 years ago

gottafixit just got the last two. You can still place and order and they will be filled in the order received but it will probably be 1.5 weeks before more ship.

2 weeks later
#93 2 years ago

UPS was actually helpful this morning and let me pick up the package before they opened! We packed up most orders on the drive up to TPF today and will try and mail all of them tomorrow. Sorry for the delay on getting this batch out.

60DC4350-E759-4A54-A32D-1C0423090D83 (resized).jpeg60DC4350-E759-4A54-A32D-1C0423090D83 (resized).jpeg
#95 2 years ago

For home use I wanted the complete opposite. I even removed the insider connected sticker on the back box of my Godzilla LE. It should be easy for you to make a magnetic sticker like you described though.

#96 2 years ago

Some people have asked me about options to cover the cut out in new aprons if they move the QR scanner to the coin door (on new machines that shipped with Insider Connected already installed). I was searching for Godzilla topper ideas and came across these custom aprons. I have not seen one in person but at least wanted to let you know about them.
https://wizardmod.com/collections/wizaprons-pinball-apron-art

apron (resized).pngapron (resized).png
1 week later
#100 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

2nd game, Stranger Things Premium.
The back box board did not have an empty cable slot due to the topper. I used the only open one on the playfield, lower left close to apron.
Here are a few more photos of the steps to better clarify the process. This time about 20min.
The coin door kit is really nice and looks like it came from the factory.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the post and all of the pictures. I have an insider connected kit being deliver to tomorrow and hopefully taking delivery of a Starnger Things LE to install it in next week! I will be mounting the reader in the coin door just like you did. Was there not a free node board port in the back box because a topper was attached?

#105 2 years ago

I am offering a tax sale on my metal mounts. Get two full kits with acrylic protective lens for $80 shipped! Offer not valid outside the USA and will expire on the 18th or when inventory is depleted.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/06743-metal-stern-insider-connected-coin-door-mount-tax-sale

#107 2 years ago

Looks great! I wish I had a Beatles!

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am offering a tax sale on my metal mounts. Get two full kits with acrylic protective lens for $80 shipped! Offer not valid outside the USA and will expire on the 18th or when inventory is depleted.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/06743-metal-stern-insider-connected-coin-door-mount-tax-sale

Please use the provided link if you want to take advantage of the sale. I have had two orders that did not use the link. Pinside does not provide an easy way to offer a partial refund on orders. Any orders going forward that fail to use the above posted link will not be eligible for a refund of the shipping charges incurred on the other listings.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

And completely unnecessary had Stern done things the right way. Everyone is already walking around with a camera in their pockets. We should be using an Insider Connected app on our phones to use the camera we've already got to scan a game-specific QR code that is either generated and displayed on a game's LCD panel and/or simply supplied on a sticker or card that can be placed on a game's apron. We log in to the app, so Stern knows who we are, and we scan the game's QR, so they know what game we're playing. Boom. Done. An Insider Connected "kit" should have consisted of a wi-fi dongle and little more.

I never looked it up but Scorbit may have a patent on this implementation method. I agree, it would have been a better, cheaper and quicker way to deploy the system to all machines.

#117 2 years ago

Thanks for those of you who bought some kits with the tax day sale. The offer has now expired.

2 weeks later
#120 1 year ago

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#123 1 year ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I bought the mount over at Marco Specialties. Super easy to install, but was annoyed that Marcos placed their product sticker right over the QR code. Thankfully, I didn't need the instructions.

Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure that Marco does not do that on future orders.

I got my Stranger Things today and installed my kit. I am so excited. I have been wanting this game for a while now. I can't wait to get the achievements!

IMG_3005 (resized).jpgIMG_3005 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#137 1 year ago

Looks great! Thanks for the post and picture! Get those achievements.

3 weeks later
#139 1 year ago

Taygeta - thanks for taking the time to post feedback and a photo. It looks great on your Batman 66. I need to to find one that has insider connected on it so I can get the game achievements.

1 month later
#140 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay in getting orders filled. I finally got the brackets back from powder coating company. All existing orders are shipping out tonight. New orders should ship within one day.

667E2683-7DA2-40C3-B292-A0C0CF62094F (resized).jpeg667E2683-7DA2-40C3-B292-A0C0CF62094F (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#143 1 year ago

I am offering a 20% discount on coin door mounting kits ordered on Pinside up through Black Friday. Just enter code PMKY-5PCF-1XEC-5183
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

3 months later
#145 1 year ago

Not sure if they share any hardware but what you posted will not work in a stern machine.

3 weeks later
#146 1 year ago

I ran out of kits last week but have them back in stock now. They should ship within 24 hours of you placing an order!

2 months later
#148 10 months ago

Looks great on a great game. Thanks for the positive feedback and photos.

2 months later
#149 7 months ago

If you have purchased one of my kits I would greatly appreciate it if you left a review in the new TWIP database.
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/pinball-mods-toppers/?ms=Insider&t=all&mu=all&mg=all

#151 7 months ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Done. I’m happy to recommend this product.

Thanks so much! Thanks to the other that also left feedback. Sales have slowed so hopefully this provides some new exposure.

2 months later
#154 5 months ago

As I have done the past two years, I am offering free shipping on the purchase of two or more mounts. I have discounted the price of a 2 pack to $69 (which covers the $8.25 shipping charge of the item). If you need more than two mounts, message me and I will send you an invoice with the same discount.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Merrimack, NH
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cheko's Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,282 (OBO)
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gotfrogs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount?tu=Gotfrogs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.