IMG_3005 (resized).jpg
DA6CA7EE-67FB-4469-A0BF-E0C207C825C4 (resized).jpeg
ICAudio (resized).jpg
ICCabling (resized).jpg
46E3A32D-9E80-44B5-88DD-C1C17F4EEE40 (resized).jpeg
948693BF-BF90-4E91-AC04-0910A044368A (resized).jpeg
CB182AC8-3AE1-4D38-9684-6D846BE6FBCD (resized).jpeg
0F36E3C4-5CBA-460D-B282-EDB5D5270F41 (resized).jpeg
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 2 years ago

===============
3/10/23 Update: The standard mounting kit is now available as a metal mount and includes a protective acrylic lens.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount
===============

I have an EHOH with some cool screens installed in the apron and did not want to remove them to accommodate the IC QR code reader. I am really happy with how things turned out and am going to sell the mounting assembly as a kit. If you are interested or want to buy one they will be available first come first served and start shipping in less than two week. PM me for details or post any questions in this thread.
IMG_0759 (resized).jpgIMG_0759 (resized).jpgIMG_0760 (resized).jpgIMG_0760 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I have an EHOH with some cool screens installed in the apron and did not want to remove them to accommodate the IC QR code reader. I am really happy with how things turned out and am going to sell the mounting assembly as a kit. If you are interested or want to buy one they will be available first come first served and start shipping in less than two week. PM me for details or post any questions in this thread.[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome idea! So...how much?

Edit. Just saw this is just the mounting assembly (which is awesome) but was hoping this was for the reader too...although now that I think about it...how would you have them? Lol.

#3 2 years ago

I am planning on selling them for $39. The kit will include the mounting bracket, mounting hardware and cable needed to relocate the reader (not included).

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am planning on selling them for $39. The kit will include the mounting bracket, mounting hardware and cable needed to relocate the reader (not included).

This is brilliant!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

This is brilliant!

Thanks so much! I have been planning the idea ever since the IC hardware was announced. With the code release today I was finally able to try it out in my machine. It works and looks great. I think it is a really good option for home use machines.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Thanks so much! I have been planning the idea ever since the IC hardware was announced. With the code release today I was finally able to try it out in my machine. It works and looks great. I think it is a really good option for home use machines.

I will be getting this!

#7 2 years ago

The other good news is if you own a Batman, Elvira, Beatles, Star Wars Premium, or certain Stranger Things Pro machines, this mount should allow you to place an order for the standard premium/LE IC kit from Stern now and not have to wait on them to release a custom apron.

#8 2 years ago

What a terrific implementation. To have to sacrifice the Docquest mod for the QR reader would have been criminal.

I don’t like the reader on the apron for home use, especially for Batman and Elvira.

#9 2 years ago

So did Stern just happen to make the reader board the same size as the DBA plate or does your mount just crop the dimensions slightly?

#10 2 years ago

The QR reader is about 1/4 the size of the dollar bill collector slot. My kit will provide a bracket with the appropriate mounting hardware and long cable necessary to reach the door.

#11 2 years ago

Thanks for making this available! Much better than the apron placement to me.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks Wmsfan, I think the apron is appropriate for location machines but for home use machines, especially LE or premium ones, the coin door seems better to me. The darn coin door should serve some purpose for us, right?

#13 2 years ago

Am I correct in assuming you have to unplug it to raise the playfield?

#14 2 years ago

Nope! Great question though. The kit comes with a cable that allows you to keep everything connected.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Nope! Great question though. The kit comes with a cable that allows you to keep everything connected.

Awesome!

#16 2 years ago

For those of you interested, you can order one here or message me about ordering multiples at a discount.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05569-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

#17 2 years ago

So this can work if you added the UV kit to a Stranger Things pro then, correct?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

So this can work if you added the UV kit to a Stranger Things pro then, correct?

Yes, should work when Stern released new code that supports IC and assuming you have an available RJ45 node board outlet. I don't have that game but have tried it on Elvira and Iron maiden. My Elvira had one of the two port under the front left apron available. On Iron Maiden both ports were in use so I had to connect to the main board in the back box. The kit comes with a cable long enough to attach to either of these locations and still be able to raise and lower the playfield without disconnecting anything.

I am going to a friend's today that has a Stranger Things LE and will confirm what ports are available.

#19 2 years ago

Here is a close up picture of what the mount looks like from the front before it is installed. I am working on the instruction manual now and plan on shipping the first batch of parts tomorrow! Those of you that ordered some should receive your tracking numbers.

72FF23F6-F3D1-417F-9D54-ECBE779C8454 (resized).jpeg72FF23F6-F3D1-417F-9D54-ECBE779C8454 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#20 2 years ago

All order that have been placed up through yesterday will have shipped today. I will be out of town this weekend but will resume shipping any new order on Tuesday next week.

2 weeks later
#21 2 years ago

I received my insider connected with Gotfrogs coin door mount recently! So far I have had 2 friends over to play and we all agree it is way better to have the qr reader in the coin door, then on the apron. Reader doesn’t stay lit in your face while playing. Also, more convenient for phone users, because the code doesn’t flip with the upright location. Thank you for this Awesome design Gotfrogs!!

95341BA6-E4CD-4401-BFB7-78C29669BAE0 (resized).jpeg95341BA6-E4CD-4401-BFB7-78C29669BAE0 (resized).jpegD31E6B14-FA37-4F85-BA11-13AB2438CED0 (resized).jpegD31E6B14-FA37-4F85-BA11-13AB2438CED0 (resized).jpeg
#22 2 years ago

Glad you and your friends like it. Thanks for the positive feedback!

#23 2 years ago

I had a special request to make the mount compatible with a volume control / headphone Jack mod. I have completed the design and will be offering these when requested. The current design is compatible with the pinball life one but I hope to have the Stern design completed in a few days.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-2-headphone-jack-assembly.html

Here is an unpainted prototype without the QR reader installed. Pm me if you are interested in this variant.

09F74C4D-4C6A-4377-91E7-B8A13CDDAFE1 (resized).jpeg09F74C4D-4C6A-4377-91E7-B8A13CDDAFE1 (resized).jpeg
#24 2 years ago

Here is the finished product!

IMG_1370 (resized).jpgIMG_1370 (resized).jpg
#25 2 years ago

Order placed for 2 kits - far better location than the apron. Nice work!

#26 2 years ago

I know have an option that will work with the pinball life and Stern volume controls ( you just utilize their PCBA, mounting hardware and cable). If you want one of these they are the same price. Just PM me to order.

4B7FC90A-D4ED-4612-BB1A-E9ECF16BFB38 (resized).jpeg4B7FC90A-D4ED-4612-BB1A-E9ECF16BFB38 (resized).jpegA28D85A2-B552-48D7-BDB1-9F8AD8A19C7D (resized).jpegA28D85A2-B552-48D7-BDB1-9F8AD8A19C7D (resized).jpeg
#29 2 years ago

This is one of the easiest and cleanest mods to install. I wasn't happy with the replacement apron from Stern for the Insider Connect so I reached out and purchased one of these.

The install took all of 5 minutes and looks like a factory piece. I'll definitely be getting another one for my next machine.

Slack Image (2022-01-10_13-05-02-501) (resized).jpgSlack Image (2022-01-10_13-05-02-501) (resized).jpg
#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Nominal_Logic:

This is one of the easiest and cleanest mods to install. I wasn't happy with the replacement apron from Stern for the Insider Connect so I reached out and purchased one of these.
The install took all of 5 minutes and looks like a factory piece. I'll definitely be getting another one for my next machine.
[quoted image]

Clean!

#31 2 years ago

Awesome! Just a shame we don’t have those slots on U.K. coin doors

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Awesome! Just a shame we don’t have those slots on U.K. coin doors

Can you send me a picture of your coin door? I would be happy to try and make a U.K. configuration if something is possible.

#33 2 years ago

Great job painting that plastic, looks really nice

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Can you send me a picture of your coin door? I would be happy to try and make a U.K. configuration if something is possible.

I think the coin doors Stern uses for international machines are this style. If thats the style, then no holes big enough for a flush mount of QR scanner.

door_stern1_lg-e1444042683997 (resized).jpgdoor_stern1_lg-e1444042683997 (resized).jpg

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think the coin doors Stern uses for international machines are this style. If thats the style, then no holes big enough for a flush mount of QR scanner.
[quoted image]

Yeah that’s the one! Looks like a coin door swap is going to be in order moving forward

#36 2 years ago

Sorry, not much to work with there. I think if you have that coin door you are better off sticking with an apron mount.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Sorry, not much to work with there. I think if you have that coin door you are better off sticking with an apron mount.

Maybe you could come up with a box that installs on top of the tournament button hole thats under the start button. It wouldnt be flush of course which might be a deal breaker dependong on how much it sticks out.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

[quoted image]

Go and check out a machine but I think you will find it is this one. We have been buying NIB Sterns for over 10 years in Australia and all the coin doors are the same. Maybe the UK and Europe are different?

16419504839306311900828139550573 (resized).jpg16419504839306311900828139550573 (resized).jpg

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Maybe you could come up with a box that installs on top of the tournament button hole thats under the start button. It wouldnt be flush of course which might be a deal breaker dependong on how much it sticks out.

That is a great idea but I don't have a machine like that to test it on and honestly don't think it would look that great sticking out from the cabinet.

Pinballaddicted what is that cut out for in the bottom left of the coin door. The location is very close to the edge of the frame (and coin box) but it could work. Are there any threaded studs on the back side in that area?

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

That is a great idea but I don't have a machine like that to test it on and honestly don't think it would look that great sticking out from the cabinet.
Pinballaddicted what is that cut out for in the bottom left of the coin door. The location is very close to the edge of the frame (and coin box) but it could work. Are there any threaded studs on the back side in that area?

That is the cut out for the bill acceptor/note reader. Please see photo of the back of the door. If you want any more photos, pkease let us know. All the coin doors back to 2011 are the same. I am pretty sure your kit will go straight in! We want to buy some of your kits, we just want to make sure we are going to use the connected stuff first,

You undo the the nuts, plate comes off and bill acceptor goes straight in

1642020604840461732381029073059 (resized).jpg1642020604840461732381029073059 (resized).jpg1642020633640688462620325861716 (resized).jpg1642020633640688462620325861716 (resized).jpg

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That is the cut out for the bill acceptor/note reader. Please see photo of the back of the door. If you want any more photos, pkease let us know. All the coin doors back to 2011 are the same. I am pretty sure your kit will go straight in! We want to buy some of your kits, we just want to make sure we are going to use the connected stuff first,
You undo the the nuts, plate comes off and bill acceptor goes straight in
[quoted image][quoted image]

Might work!

#42 2 years ago

Are you aware on anywhere online that sells that coin door? The ones I am finding online look different and don't appear to have a bill acceptor knock out.
https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/coin-doors-mechanisms/stern-1-slot-uk-eu-coin-door/

If you would be willing to mail me the knock-out plate, I could probably use that to design something and then mail it back to you with a mounting bracket. This is what I did with the Stern and Pinball Life audio boards.

#43 2 years ago

The export door layout resembles the ones we'd see on Stern SAM systems.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-coin-door-for-sam-system-machines-with-4-button-service-assembly-wiring-harness.html

CDa (resized).jpgCDa (resized).jpgCDb (resized).jpgCDb (resized).jpg
#44 2 years ago

I have 3 remaining standard mounts available and ready to ship. I will be on vacation starting tomorrow so all orders placed after tonight will not start shipping until January 24th. If you place an order for one of the three remaining kits, they will be shipped tomorrow. The custom audio control compatible mounting kits will also not begin shipping until 1/24/22.

Thanks again for all of the support and positivity feedback. I have enjoyed working on this project and serving an unmet customer need.

#45 2 years ago

Love the idea and wish I could implement on mine but all my games have headphone stations in the coin doors

Well done Gotfrogs

#46 2 years ago

I'm still wanting to get one of these at some point. Where is everyone ordering the actual Stern QR reader from?

Quick question about the mounting plate. I notice it's flat printed so when it's mounted on the coin door it sits *behind* the metal. Could it be printed in such a way that the portion in the coutout of the coin door is raised, so it's actually flush with the front of the coin door when mounted?

#47 2 years ago

I've completed my mods on Elvira 40th. Speakerlightkits to illuminate the speakers (sound activated) and 'Back Door' green acrylic accent for the sign, and also, coin power splitter so I could add Docquest's dual mini screens for the apron and Gotfrogs plate to relocate the Reader to the front coin door.
I've had minimal issues so far (machine 'froze' a couple of times during multi-ball) and lost a ball in the back left ramp.
This is a great machine and fun to play.

Elvira Mods (resized).jpgElvira Mods (resized).jpg
#48 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Love the idea and wish I could implement on mine but all my games have headphone stations in the coin doors
Well done Gotfrogs

Which brand? I have ones that are compatible with the stern and Pinball life headphone jack and volume control.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I'm still wanting to get one of these at some point. Where is everyone ordering the actual Stern QR reader from?
Quick question about the mounting plate. I notice it's flat printed so when it's mounted on the coin door it sits *behind* the metal. Could it be printed in such a way that the portion in the coutout of the coin door is raised, so it's actually flush with the front of the coin door when mounted?

This is a great question. I made a design decision to make the bracket flat on the front and not have a raised portion that would be flush with the front of the coin door. This greatly simplifies the design with minimal impact on visual appeal or functionality. If it is not done correctly it can have the opposite effect and look even worse. I plan to have some different offerings in the near future and this is a feature I might try and include at some point.

#50 2 years ago

Please let me clarify. None of the issues I have had are mod related. The issues noted were before any changes/updates were done to the machine.
The mods in-place look and behave great. The only other mod I'm considering at the moment is some interactive lights that make the back glass come alive.
'catch ya on the flip side'

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lansing, KS
$ 37.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Belmont, MI
$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 15.00
Hardware
ScottieIA Mods

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.