IMG_3005 (resized).jpg
DA6CA7EE-67FB-4469-A0BF-E0C207C825C4 (resized).jpeg
ICAudio (resized).jpg
ICCabling (resized).jpg
46E3A32D-9E80-44B5-88DD-C1C17F4EEE40 (resized).jpeg
948693BF-BF90-4E91-AC04-0910A044368A (resized).jpeg
CB182AC8-3AE1-4D38-9684-6D846BE6FBCD (resized).jpeg
0F36E3C4-5CBA-460D-B282-EDB5D5270F41 (resized).jpeg
There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

2nd game, Stranger Things Premium.
The back box board did not have an empty cable slot due to the topper. I used the only open one on the playfield, lower left close to apron.
Here are a few more photos of the steps to better clarify the process. This time about 20min.
The coin door kit is really nice and looks like it came from the factory.

The metal apron on the Stranger Things Premium has a mount for the QR code reader under the right-side card. I'm curious why you decided not to use that.

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Thanks for the post and all of the pictures. I have an insider connected kit being deliver to tomorrow and hopefully taking delivery of a Starnger Things LE to install it in next week! I will be mounting the reader in the coin door just like you did. Was there not a free node board port in the back box because a topper was attached?

Yes, the topper used the open middle slot. The cable provided in your kit was more than long enough to reach the one in the playfield.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

The metal apron on the Stranger Things Premium has a mount for the QR code reader under the right-side card. I'm curious why you decided not to use that.

It’s just a personal preference for the coin door. The apron would be fine if it was my only option.

#104 2 years ago

Installed the coin door mount for Pinball Life Audio version from @gotfrogs. Was simple install. Ethernet cable included was very long which made it easy to run the cable from the apron, under the playfield and zip tie to other cables under the playfield, then alongside the cabinet through the existing cabinet wire holders and to the coin door. Plenty of slack and able to raise and lower the playfield without any interference.

I had 1 minor question on how to remove the audio jack and volume knob from the coindoor plate, so I messaged gotfrogs who confirmed the proper procedure for removing the items. My only comment might be to update the PDF instructions to include which tools to use to remove the audio controls. I was pretty sure what I needed to do but wanted to be sure so I didn't break the Audio Components/Connectors.

Very satisfied with this install and much easier than having to remove the apron on my JP Premium and get to keep the artwork as well!
Thanks Gotfrogs

ICAudio (resized).jpgICAudio (resized).jpgICCabling (resized).jpgICCabling (resized).jpg
#105 2 years ago

I am offering a tax sale on my metal mounts. Get two full kits with acrylic protective lens for $80 shipped! Offer not valid outside the USA and will expire on the 18th or when inventory is depleted.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/06743-metal-stern-insider-connected-coin-door-mount-tax-sale

#106 2 years ago

Added The Beatles today.

DA6CA7EE-67FB-4469-A0BF-E0C207C825C4 (resized).jpegDA6CA7EE-67FB-4469-A0BF-E0C207C825C4 (resized).jpeg
#107 2 years ago

Looks great! I wish I had a Beatles!

#108 2 years ago

God that thing looks stupid in a coin door.

#109 2 years ago

-So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald. striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevice, right at the base of this glacier. And do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga gunga - gunga galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

~Carl S.

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean, does it look good anywhere? Stern cheerlead game on fleek tonight.

#111 2 years ago

Hey look somebody had to say it.

If you can’t stand it just cover it up.

It looks absolutely ridiculous In the coin door.

Carry on.

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am offering a tax sale on my metal mounts. Get two full kits with acrylic protective lens for $80 shipped! Offer not valid outside the USA and will expire on the 18th or when inventory is depleted.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/06743-metal-stern-insider-connected-coin-door-mount-tax-sale

Please use the provided link if you want to take advantage of the sale. I have had two orders that did not use the link. Pinside does not provide an easy way to offer a partial refund on orders. Any orders going forward that fail to use the above posted link will not be eligible for a refund of the shipping charges incurred on the other listings.

#113 2 years ago

Gotfrogs. Do you ship to Australia?

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from LFD45:

Gotfrogs. Do you ship to Australia?

Yeah , just be careful. I ordered one then realised that our coin doors are different over here. My fault ‍♂️

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And completely unnecessary had Stern done things the right way. Everyone is already walking around with a camera in their pockets. We should be using an Insider Connected app on our phones to use the camera we've already got to scan a game-specific QR code that is either generated and displayed on a game's LCD panel and/or simply supplied on a sticker or card that can be placed on a game's apron. We log in to the app, so Stern knows who we are, and we scan the game's QR, so they know what game we're playing. Boom. Done. An Insider Connected "kit" should have consisted of a wi-fi dongle and little more.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

And completely unnecessary had Stern done things the right way. Everyone is already walking around with a camera in their pockets. We should be using an Insider Connected app on our phones to use the camera we've already got to scan a game-specific QR code that is either generated and displayed on a game's LCD panel and/or simply supplied on a sticker or card that can be placed on a game's apron. We log in to the app, so Stern knows who we are, and we scan the game's QR, so they know what game we're playing. Boom. Done. An Insider Connected "kit" should have consisted of a wi-fi dongle and little more.

I never looked it up but Scorbit may have a patent on this implementation method. I agree, it would have been a better, cheaper and quicker way to deploy the system to all machines.

#117 2 years ago

Thanks for those of you who bought some kits with the tax day sale. The offer has now expired.

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I never looked it up but Scorbit may have a patent on this implementation method. I agree, it would have been a better, cheaper and quicker way to deploy the system to all machines.

We don't have a patent on that method, nor is a patent on reading a QR code possible anyway.

It comes down to two questions: Identity, and trust. The question any service that prioritizes these questions are around what more positively identifies you, a specific phone, or a specific QR code, or a combination? This is hotly debated, and we placed our bets. There are entire conferences and areas of study on these topics. I don't think there is a right answer.

From a product management standpoint, our goals and Stern's are the same, to increase engagement and reduce friction, we just approached it different ways.

I founded a company in the late 90's that had to pass security audits on a regular basis by its customers for compliance. In that case, it came down to biometrics, because the identity/trust was regulated! I'll be honest, that was a bummer (though the systems were cool in a geeky way to work with).

The nice thing about pinball is we can try different things over a few years and see what feels best.

1 week later
#119 1 year ago

Folks, I did a video showing the install of the kit and insider connected itself.

Pretty easy. I also give some advice on cable management.

#120 1 year ago

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

#121 1 year ago

Anyone got a quick link for someone with 2 games but only one IC kit how to get the 2nd game online without removing all the stuff from the other? Is it possible?

1 week later
#122 1 year ago

I bought the mount over at Marco Specialties. Super easy to install, but was annoyed that Marcos placed their product sticker right over the QR code. Thankfully, I didn't need the instructions.

Quoted from J85M:

Anyone got a quick link for someone with 2 games but only one IC kit how to get the 2nd game online without removing all the stuff from the other? Is it possible?

Not possible! You are going to need a second kit.

#123 1 year ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I bought the mount over at Marco Specialties. Super easy to install, but was annoyed that Marcos placed their product sticker right over the QR code. Thankfully, I didn't need the instructions.

Thanks for the feedback. I will make sure that Marco does not do that on future orders.

I got my Stranger Things today and installed my kit. I am so excited. I have been wanting this game for a while now. I can't wait to get the achievements!

IMG_3005 (resized).jpgIMG_3005 (resized).jpg
#124 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-share-stern-ic-reader-with-other-games

1 week later
#125 1 year ago

Hi, Just ordered an insider connected kit for my LE. I'm in Australia and have the Oz version (As mentioned here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount#post-6709774)

Did you ever get a template working for this coin door type?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#126 1 year ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

How would the machine know who is playing as the machine would not be reading the QR code to load up your profile

#127 1 year ago

My guess would be when you scan the code with an app on your phone, your phone would report back to stern who you are and what machine you are playing on. Then when the machine reports it data back to stern over Wi-Fi it can correlate the user and the machine data.

#128 1 year ago

Once the correlated data is compiled stern can send any info it wants to the users app or to the pin

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Once the correlated data is compiled stern can send any info it wants to the users app or to the pin

The issue is getting the server to push the user's info to the pin in a timely fashion. With the scanner on the pin, it instantly recognizes the user from their unique QR code, and then can request (pull) the full play data (e.g. achievements history) from the server. The pull method is just going to be more reliable and a better user experience, which is probably why they went that route. And they can sell a piece of hardware.

#130 1 year ago

I agree they want to sell more hardware for sure, but that small amount of data being pushed to the machine would be almost instantaneous.

#131 1 year ago
Quoted from tron1969:

I agree they want to sell more hardware for sure, but that small amount of data being pushed to the machine would be almost instantaneous.

It's not the amount of data that's the problem. The issue is the server finding the pin. It's way easier for the pin to establish the connection to the server.

#132 1 year ago

Again that should be instantaneous when the pin boots up it registers with stern it will create a virtual connection between the stern server and the pin. Stern wouldn’t need to look for anything. This a basic configuration used across the it industry. The same way the phone app connects to stern.

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Again that should be instantaneous when the pin boots up it registers with stern it will create a virtual connection between the stern server and the pin. Stern wouldn’t need to look for anything. This a basic configuration used across the it industry. The same way the phone app connects to stern.

Yes, but then every IC-enabled pin needs to establish a heartbeat with the server so they can keep the connection. That could become a problem (along with all the phones now talking to the server).

#134 1 year ago

Pins are a small footprint the number of pins and pin users is tiny, I manage applications with hundreds of thousands of connections and it’s no big deal. This is really basic stuff everything is going to be connected eventually as part of the Internet of things refrigerators cars microwaves cameras doorbell’s etc. having a pin connected to an app sending and receiving metadata is rudimentary, I’m sure it’s about selling hardware . Anyway it was nice chatting about

#135 1 year ago
Quoted from tron1969:

Pins are a small footprint the number of pins and pin users is tiny, I manage applications with hundreds of thousands of connections and it’s no big deal. This is really basic stuff everything is going to be connected eventually as part of the Internet of things refrigerators cars microwaves cameras doorbell’s etc. having a pin connected to an app sending and receiving metadata is rudimentary, I’m sure it’s about selling hardware . Anyway it was nice chatting about

Yeah, I'm sure they debated the pros and cons of push vs pull, and ultimately went with what they had more control over. And being able to sell some hardware was surely a big factor.

3 weeks later
#136 1 year ago

After getting hooked on IC on my Godzilla I finally broke down and ordered a kit for my Jurassic Park. I wanted to make installation easy and also keep my lighted arch plastic so I ordered this coin door kit. WOW! Installation was a SNAP! So glad I got this. If your on the fence on this, just jump in! Totally worth it!

IMG_20220624_212949 (resized).jpgIMG_20220624_212949 (resized).jpg
#137 1 year ago

Looks great! Thanks for the post and picture! Get those achievements.

3 weeks later
#138 1 year ago

Quick shipping and super fast, simple install. Would recommend over the factory in the apron look for older games, especially premiums

37160E91-CEF6-41CB-A240-93325C958B37 (resized).jpeg37160E91-CEF6-41CB-A240-93325C958B37 (resized).jpeg
#139 1 year ago

Taygeta - thanks for taking the time to post feedback and a photo. It looks great on your Batman 66. I need to to find one that has insider connected on it so I can get the game achievements.

1 month later
#140 1 year ago

Sorry for the delay in getting orders filled. I finally got the brackets back from powder coating company. All existing orders are shipping out tonight. New orders should ship within one day.

667E2683-7DA2-40C3-B292-A0C0CF62094F (resized).jpeg667E2683-7DA2-40C3-B292-A0C0CF62094F (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#141 1 year ago

For another connection option, I connected to the node board in the cabinet using this splitter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q2QJP77
Screenshot_20221004-224834_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20221004-224834_Photos (resized).jpg

1 month later
#142 1 year ago

I got frogs

PXL_20221105_153915807 (resized).jpgPXL_20221105_153915807 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#143 1 year ago

I am offering a 20% discount on coin door mounting kits ordered on Pinside up through Black Friday. Just enter code PMKY-5PCF-1XEC-5183
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

3 months later
#144 1 year ago

Just ran into this $60 QR code reader on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803873055616.html

Looks like the same one?

#145 1 year ago

Not sure if they share any hardware but what you posted will not work in a stern machine.

3 weeks later
#146 1 year ago

I ran out of kits last week but have them back in stock now. They should ship within 24 hours of you placing an order!

2 months later
#147 10 months ago

Another great mod from Gotfrogs! OEM quality and fit perfectly. Took about 15 minutes to install.

99763C46-214D-4231-8BC7-167B2257D6F8 (resized).jpeg99763C46-214D-4231-8BC7-167B2257D6F8 (resized).jpegD90AA577-BC80-4091-8719-83C6652069DE (resized).jpegD90AA577-BC80-4091-8719-83C6652069DE (resized).jpeg
#148 10 months ago

Looks great on a great game. Thanks for the positive feedback and photos.

2 months later
#149 7 months ago

If you have purchased one of my kits I would greatly appreciate it if you left a review in the new TWIP database.
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/pinball-mods-toppers/?ms=Insider&t=all&mu=all&mg=all

#150 7 months ago

Done. I’m happy to recommend this product.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
9,000 (Firm)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

8,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7,999.00
€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 154 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount/page/3?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.