Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by IBARAKURO
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does your NIB Stern have insert ghosting?”

• Yes, I recently bought a NIB and have insert ghosting 71 votes
      49%
    • No, I recently bought a NIB and do not have insert ghosting 73 votes
      51%

(144 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6736 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg (© Rem)
    image (resized).jpeg (© Rem)
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    2SZ_3646_(resized).JPG
    2SZ_3658_(resized).JPG
    2SZ_3657_(resized).JPG
    2SZ_3656_(resized).JPG
    2SZ_3655_(resized).JPG
    2SZ_3654_(resized).JPG
    2SZ_3653_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ed209.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago

July 7th playfield. Noticed ghosting had started few days ago on my Tobin's Spirit Guide insert. So far it hasn't gotten worse and I don't see it on any others.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from rlslick:

I'm still confused on the cause of ghosting. I get the separation part. But has it been identified as the clearcoat not adheasing to the inserts. Should the top of the inserts be sanded (roughened with some grit) for the clearcoat to adhease better? Is it also a combination of the wood (Playfield) not being cured (dry) enough where the heat build-up within the cab causes the wood to expand and contract causing the inserts to move seperating itself from the clearcoat? Since the day Stern started using LED's...(complaints of how bright the LED's have been)...is there too much heat being emitted from the LED's from under the insert causing the clearcoat to dry, shrink leading to the ghosting issues?
    I can't recall these issues when they were only using incandescent bulbs...and honestly I can't remember with the LE's and Premiums I've owned before this became an issue if I paid much attention to the ghosting issues. I only recall where as buyers we were disappointed at the time how thin the clearcoat was and how frustrated many NIB owners were.
    Thought I would ask...

It has nothing to do with the bulbs. LED's in general are are cooler than incandescence and should be much easier on the machine when it comes to heat.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I haven't been this addicted to a pinball machine...ever. It's a truly special game. Sucks about the playfield issues.

I'll feel better when I get my hands on a quality spare playfield. Right now these issues have tainted the fun because I'm too nervous that every game is going to just make the problem worse.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ed209.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insert-ghosting-poll-buyers-only?tu=ed209 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.