Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Indiana_Die.gif
465154_10151562849035434_1443942605_o..jpg
464725_10151562847590434_277505908_o.jpg
461785_10151562848260434_669023193_o.jpg
412209_10151562846245434_1735799352_o..jpg
460692_10151562845570434_2122728990_o..jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Williams IJ sucks bad.

Crack is a very bad thing. Please explain to me what sucks about Williams IJ?

Is it the most playable modes of any machine ever made? Is it the three video modes, which are all fairly good, as far as vid modes go? Is it the possibly best mini PF, which is used in multiple ways for different aspects of play and modes? Is it the loop person combos that can be built, which is another addition to the depth of this machine? Maybe it’s the great artwork, widebody design used perfectly, or the well used and themed toys? Possibly you don’t like the narrow escape that adds another bit of uniqueness to this machine. Maybe it’s the amazing sound package, and DMD animations, likely some of the best for WPC machines.

The machine is a super fast with ramps and orbit returns and plays amazingly. I have never understood how some people don’t love this game.

Despite this, I’m SUPER interested to hear its flaws, please hammer away...

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You have a very large playfield, which you play about 27% of. Only the middle center really is useable. The saucer kicks out about 50% of your shots. The whole upper left is taken up by this shitty POA that is a total piece of shit. The right side is taken up by a cool ball lock, but takes up way to much space. So what you have to actually play is 2 ramps, saucer, 4 drop targets and a loop. Just not fun. Could have so much more going for it. Playfield design is terrible. Sounds are great. I had a super nice one, wanted to like it so bad, because I love the movies. But the more I played it, the more I hated it. Ended up trading it for another CV. I'd rather have 2 CV's than to have 1 IJ sitting in my house. That's how much it sucked.

Machines with two flippers for the most part have fan layouts, as shots are for the most part only accessible via the flippers. Name me another mini PF that is as interactive and used in so many modes and other ways than this one? How is it shitty? It turns, it has two drop holes depending on what you are doing. Pretty well thought out for a mini if you ask me.

As for the saucer issue, well, rebuild it and tune it. Mine is about 95% good. Since your comparisons are for CV, the CV juggler saucer for the first ball lock is more or less useless unless you have the pinbits modded piece that keeps it where it should be. That is a factory issue as well, the IJ saucer is from years of poundings with the strongest flippers.

As far as wasted space and limited shots, I complete disagree, and you note CV as a better choice? I have CV as well, but there are about 4 shots in that game, and a vast amount of wasted space in the juggler area and that stupid contained ball area. And this isn't a fan layout??

I'm not bashing CV, I love it too, but CV is no IJ in my opinion.

Quoted from goatdan:

I HATE the video modes, and three relatively easily accessible video modes is just stupid. On certain games, one video mode ruins it for me (Tommy, I'm lookin' at you), and the three on IJ are alone enough to make me really annoyed by it

They are all well implemented into the them, they are all challenging (provided you set them on difficult), and knowing all the vid modes out there, which for the most part I do not like in pinball, and hate most myself, these have to be considered some of the best. I'm not claiming I like vid modes, but these are fun to play FOR a vid mode.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

As far as POA goes. It's a piece of shit. It's useless. The controls are clunky and you really don't have any control over anything. It's to steep for what it is. I can think of many mini playfields that blow that one out of the water. TZ is far superior in every way, SOF, Shadow, TSPP and others I can't think of right now. For what it does, it is useless. It would be just as fun if it didn't move at all and could bounce around some instead. Like pinbot or LOTR.

I will admit it takes some tuning to level it out perfectly, but after that, it runs perfectly. I only had an opto out once, but after that, it works perfectly. All the other mini's you mentioned are great, but I still think the POA is the best one made.

As for the juggler lock, obviously it was enough of a problem for pinbits to make the piece the keeps the ball from falling out after the magnet releases. Maybe you don't have your machine on enough of an angle for it to be a problem, but it is.

Anyway, whatever, you don't like it, I just don't agree with you. I love that machine. Just nailed another billion shot on it tonight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 1,419.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider atomicboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ij-vs-williams-ij?tu=atomicboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.