1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EaglePin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Anyone know if there is a way to buy one IC kit that can be easily moved from game to game in the home environment? Obviously would need to install the wifi components in each machine.

Just can’t see buying 10 of these things worth it.

#3 1 year ago

This question has been covered a fair amount in the Stern Insider Connected forum. Quick key word search in that forum gives some info:

Quoted from jurulz:

You can always buy one kit for the QR reader (or remove the one from your GZ) and move it from game to game by plugging an Ethernet Cable on node 4 and mount it externally. (don't forget the micro sd card + Wifi Dongle).

Quoted from PoMC:

My friend, Jesterfunhouse, graciously gave me a new Insider Connected kit last night. I've been having fun already collecting the achievements, even though I wasn't planning on buying one ever.
    I bought the coin door mount and waiting on that. What I'm doing now is moving the reader from game to game. I have network cables connected in each pin , so I open the coin door and plug in the reader. No big deal, just me playing and easy to reach in with my phone to scan. Plus I don't have to re-scan when playing games after game.
    I had enough spare 16GB cards to install in each game. But of course I only have the single wifi dongle that was included in the kit. So that sucks having to move it to each game and re-enter wifi password, etc.
    Anyway, found this AWESOME deal on a 5-pack of the CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter/Dongles. Now it makes it simple to move the reader itself from game to game. I probably won't even mount it and keep it in the coin door because I remove one cable and that's it.
    $35!!! Seven packs left.
    ebay.com link: itm

Quoted from PoMC:

Aerosmith, Star Wars, Avengers and Jurassic.
    I'm smart though, no need to buy a kit for every game. A friend gave me a kit and I just move the QR reader from game to game. Each game has a MicroSD and wifi adapter installed and a network cable running inside the coin door. I just unplug the cable from the reader and move plug it into the next game. I can only play one at a time, why give Stern $$?

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yes pretty much spot on.
    You need a reader just to enable IC.
    So you have ten games and one IC kit. You buy 9 USB dongles and 9 micro SD cards.
    You setup first game and scan all your QR codes and enable them as home.
    you then add the USB dongles and memory sticks and then use the one reader you have to connect each game to SIC - you have to move the reader to each game to connect the games to SIC.
    then you are good to go. you have 9 games all with IC and home you can login to. You use the one game with the reader to add people in and out.

Quoted from Smack:

Did you go into the settings to set it to Wired? When I was having wifi problems I resorted to ethernet as well and had no problems once I set it up in the menu. Also, did you connect your home network's ethernet to the port on the top of your motherboard in the head? That is the correct port to hook into vs one of the ones on the bottom of the motherboard.
    It sounds like you are trying to use 1 reader/kit and additional SD cards and dongles for the other machines, which is totally fine. However, one requirement when setting up the other machines is that the reader is attached to the machine you are trying to connect to IC. With the reader installed, when you go to the Net service menu you should see a bunch of options, one of which will be Setup Connection. From here you can choose wither Wired or Wireless.
    If you do not want to physically move the apron, just run a long ethernet cable between it and an open ethernet port on the game you are configuring. Once setup you never need to use the reader again if all you want to do is use Hometeam.

Quoted from KingVidiot:

CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi... amazon.com link »
    SanDisk 16GB Ultra microSDHC... amazon.com link »
    Toptekits 4 Port Way 8P8C RJ45... amazon.com link »
    Monoprice 0.5FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... amazon.com link »
    Monoprice 25FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... amazon.com link »
    Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Gigabit... amazon.com link »
    RJ45 Coupler,Ethernet Coupler, in... amazon.com link »
    Since I’ve had several people message me personally, I’ll link y’all to the items I bought to make this work.
    One 25’ cat6 per machine you’re looking to hook up (green cables)
    You’ll need a coupler to extend the cable (red cable) from the insider connected board to the splitter, if you want to mount it in the front of the machine and open it with some slack. If you want to just leave it in your cab, you won’t need the extender, but it’s much more convenient to have it outside the machine, so you don’t have to open the door and kill power each time you want to use it.
    I just used a few zip-ties to fasten the 2 splitters to each other, and the splitters to various parts of the coin mech to keep it in place. Just a quick bit of black cardboard to fill the gap. Good enough for me.
    Oh, and yes, that’s a cowbell underneath Godzilla. It fires off instead of a knocker, ya know, a little blue oyster cult nod but that picture is to show y’all where all the cables come out of Godzilla and run to the other machines.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from jurulz:

Here is a quick tutorial i created for sharing your Stern IC QR reader to other compatible Games.
    ***Disclaimer*** I'm not responsible if you damage your game(s) use this method at your own risk. Enjoy!
    Here is the link for couple of the requirements that i use for this tutorial:
    Wifi dongle: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html
    Micro SD Card: amazon.com link »
    RJ45 physical selector: amazon.com link »
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RfpKi4Pd7I0E5fRpZh86YdCjwuZoIkY/view?usp=sharing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-ic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.