Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A2576C3C-5F67-4361-8783-97374FC3B105 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider speedracer773.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hey Stern - How about this for an idea. How about you let your fans decide the number of the Limited Editions rather than your business teams?

Something like you open a peorder window a day, or two, or a few hours, whatever. Everyone that wants a LE orders then. The edition size is set by your customers. Once the window is closed, that's it. You could figure out how to make that work with your distributors (an online form that makes you fill in a name etc. whatever)
    1) This would allow more people to get the games in the editions they want,
    2) Let you better gauge demand
    3) Let you reap more profits for your titles and creativity
    4) Limit flipping to a degree. I read some people ordered multiples so they can flip them...ok good for them and their entrepreneurial spirit but all that did was take some from people that actually want to buy and keep the game.
    5) Edition sizes are unique and still hold their value.

I'm sure their would be many other pluses to this approach, and naturally some minuses. Although always a fan of pinball I'm newer to the hobby and enjoying it. If this has been mentioned or tried before please excuse my ignorance.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

New to the Hobby? heres some advice from a early buyer of many LE's, don't buy LE's. The Pre is usually the best in terms of art and the extras for the most part if needed can be added after the fact. For me after may LE's and Pre's unless its something extremely important and a must have I stick to Pro's, much happier.

Thanks for the advice. I can see what you're saying. I just noticed all the complaining on this release and thought "why don't they let fans set the edition size through an ordering window? Sure there will be flippers but even that could be limited to "one per household"...and sure there is a never ending trail of ways to work around the system, but in general it would slow flipping down.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

If you let as many people buy it as want it, doesn't that defeat the point of "limited"? Also, the whole reason for the LE model is to get extra money from people with too much money. If Stern is selling them all at the price they set, the plan is working. No need for them to mess with it.

It's still limited to the sale of the edition for the time specified. So its still an LE. It also allows for different LE sizes. It's a different way to think about a limited edition and would also allow Stern to sell more of them, or less. Regardless of the approach - a different way from having some people get more than one, only to flip them to others that didn't have the same connections would be nice. But as someone else said - "just buy a premium"

This last Godzilla release there wasn't even time to read about the layout / rules / any kind of preview. It was for sale before any information could be absorbed. Did you want to see what you might get for $10k? Too late, they are all sold out as you reviewed some high level material. That's sort of a different topic but related - It just seems there should be a better way ...or again just buy premium.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

This would
    1) Eliminate FOMO - bad
    2) Eliminate urgency to buy - bad
    3) Eliminates 'limited' -- If you just offer as many as people will buy... that's a soft limit. See points 1 and 2
    4) Eliminates the draw of scarcity
    Ever hear how vendors WANT a line in front of their shop? The point is the noise about 'hot' and wanting to see what all the fuss is about draws people in too. Same with scarcity.
    Stern doesn't need to make as much money on selling more of a certain LE... that contention will sell the next LE release...

But it doesn't really it just shifts some of it
    1) Doesn't eliminate FOMO it just shifts it. If you don't buy today, this week , this hour, whatever, you never get another chance ...except on the secondary market
    2) It's still an urgency to buy as you can't get it next week. But yes to a degree I suppose it does reduce the crazy.
    3) Limited - it is limited to the buying window. If they take preorders for 2000 LE's in one day then the LE count is 2000. If preorder =300 the LE is 300, making FOMO off the chart....If they want to sell more next time make the buying window longer. I suppose this is a weak argument if it takes a long time to sell 1000 LEs. From all the posts in the forums it doesn't appear to be an issue.
    4) I'm not sure I follow the scarcity issue unless they make a crazy number of them as LEs. Even then they get scarce over time, look at all the used pins going for more than new ones with 30 year old boards, plastics, etc.

They would still be collectors pieces / true LEs. It might just make for abetter buying experience for people that actually want the game and aren't trying to flip to make a buck. There is a better way I'm certain of it. But perhaps it's just easiest to buy a premium. In all honestly I don't care that much about the latest Godzilla release or LEs in general. (I think Godzilla looks interesting but not sure about $10K+ plus those colors are just sorta hard on my eyes) I can however someday see myself getting hyped about a real modern backglass on a theme I really like ( maybe a Van Halen or a Witcher or one of many things) and being disappointed not having the opportunity to buy one .... while some other guy is selling two out of his garage for jacked prices.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Think like the business, not the buyer.

Sure you're right in that respect. I get it from their point of view, but I'm the buyer, the customer. All I want is the ability to buy the product at the price decided by Stern. If my proposals and ideas aren't sound? ok, lets discuss another way. Regardless of the way, I believe there is a better way for more people to get an LE and not get ripped off by someone in between jacking up the price. I think the idea of one per household makes sense - I think 80sMan is onto something.

Or are you suggesting the phrase I've heard most of my life "the customer is always right" isn't right?

#73 2 years ago

Overall I'm just suggesting there may be a better way to let others, that aren't so well connected to the distributors, have an opportunity to buy an LE. I don't believe the chaos is all planned. (Although it sounds like some do) Are the owners manuals with multiple typos and wrong information planned? is it part of their plan to sow FOMO chaos in the market? Are the production delays always intentional? or are they mistakes they work around? I'm not really arguing these points just pointing to some spots were it seems things are in less than an ideal state.

I'm not trying to bash Stern. I like their pins. Plus my exposure to their customer service has been good and helpful. I think lot a lot of companies, they do the best they can. I'm just suggesting that there maybe a better way to sell LEs, Whatever that way may be. Or perhaps backglass and side art / extras (I think they look much nicer than translites), I can see someday finding that special pin and wanting all the goodies. extras art etc.

If nothing else this demand will certainly create more opportunities for other companies and more competition. Figuring out a good way keep customers and fans of your products loyal to your brand is a good way to keep business. Most of us can't just buy a new pin every few months. If company ABC makes a nicer pinball machine that plays great, for less money....well I might just go spend my cash over there - "besides I don't have much of a real chance to get an LE right?"

I think like a lot of things there is some room in the middle. A way for more customers to get more loaded pins, Stern to make more money from those pins, and the distributors still happy so everyone wins, more. I'm not suggesting anyone give up anything, or give away anything. Rather just think about a better way, that benefits everyone, a bit more evenly.

How about this as another idea? Stern produces the LE with a number and COA etc and a version unnumbered but still with the back glass art package powder coat etc. Mr or Ms Limited Exclusive collector still gets the exclusive and other folks could get the upgrades without buying from a flipper? Or any other numerous ideas / suggestions.

#85 2 years ago

The point of this was to discuss better ways of getting pins out to those that want an LE for their own. Some of the replies are very odd in the sense that all they do is defend the current process. We all know the current process. Unless your rich and connected it sorta sucks. ...."the ways things are, is the way things are" mentality.

What I've gathered so far in how to get an LE
    Get rich
    Get connected
    Get a distributorship
    ...when all else fails get a premium - got it -thanks

I still contend there is a better way. One that still creates hype FOMO, one that still expands sales to people that are looking to keep the game rather than flip. I understand the point why would Stern care? They are getting their money. True enough I suppose.

So in summary - Get a Premium. I'd probably fully agree if I could buy a backglass

#86 2 years ago

I still contend there is a better way. One that still creates hype FOMO. One that still expands sales to people that are looking to keep the game rather than flip. One that allows Stern to capitalize on their products but expands the LEs. Even so I understand the point "why would Stern care?" They are getting their money. True enough I suppose.

So in summary - Get a Premium. I'd probably fully agree if I could buy a backglass

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

You're not wrong, I don't get the types who absolutely must have every LE ever released beyond having too much money, but for grail themes for people I think its the mentality of I'm already spending insane money, so I might as well pay a bit more and get the top tier version

Agreed!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider speedracer773.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-how-to-get-le-s-to-your-fans-that-want-one-and-limit-flipping?tu=speedracer773 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.