7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by frankogame
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Stern Hot Wheel, Yes or No?”

• Yes! 64 votes
      49%
    • No! 67 votes
      51%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Stompers.jpg
    kisshot.jpg
    hotwheel.jpg
    stern_twitter.jpg
    original_16.jpg
    100_1275.JPG
    Screen_Shot_2012-08-29_at_8.48.22_PM.png

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Just saw this tweet from Stern:

Screen_Shot_2012-08-29_at_8.48.22_PM.png

So... Would Hot Wheels make a good theme? I gave it some thought and the pro's I see:

- of the shelf toys, and plenty of them!
    - no videos to be digitized : no digital dot matrix mayhem like TF!
    - options to have original music scored for a game!
    - fast : this would have to be a fast game - Steve Ritchie of course!

What do you think? Give it a vote in the poll!

#2 7 years ago

It targets the right age groups. I would be in on any pin done well.

#3 7 years ago

A Steve Ritchie Hot Wheels game? Could be pretty dang cool.

#4 7 years ago

It's a great idea for Stern. Just not my cup of tea.

#5 7 years ago

Sounds great to me! I work on cars for a living, so any automotive theme is cool in my book. I'd love to see a feature where the ball was accelerated by the spinning foam wheels, just like a Hot Wheels car. The ramps would of course have to be solid orange plastic.

If I could afford NIB, I'd be up for one!

Later,
    EV

#6 7 years ago

Would have to have a vertical loop shot ... thru an orange ramp and loop of corse.

#7 7 years ago

I can see it happening. Hot Wheels! Beat that!!

#8 7 years ago

As long as it has a Loopdloop in it ,I think it could be cool .

Jim

#9 7 years ago

I had a Hot Wheels lunchbox in the first grade. I'm in!

#10 7 years ago

Oh man the ramps on this would be so sweet

#11 7 years ago

I have a huge Hot Wheels collection, mainly the first 20-25 years of their production. I'd like to see one, and I have to admit that I'd be very tempted to buy one.

However, I'd love to see the vintage spectraflame / redline stuff, with iconic cars like Twinmill. Not so much the newer stuff.

#12 7 years ago

In addition to a loop, would have to have*:

A jump ramp shot.
    Banked curves.
    Drop down flags.
    Hot Wheels cars on the play-field that come in metallic colours that almost no real car comes in.

*( Don't take to seriously)

#13 7 years ago

I had about 100 Hot Wheels 40 years ago,Should have kept them.
    Would be a cool theme.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Sounds great to me! I work on cars for a living, so any automotive theme is cool in my book. I'd love to see a feature where the ball was accelerated by the spinning foam wheels, just like a Hot Wheels car. The ramps would of course have to be solid orange plastic.
    If I could afford NIB, I'd be up for one!
    Later,
    EV

Funny you say that, think I might need to send you another pm

#15 7 years ago

Hot Wheels?? No thanks!!! I think its time for a cool horror theme pin.

Jon

#16 7 years ago

The Plunger lane you have an accelerator on it to speed the ball up, like they did with cars on the tracks, with those foam circles!

#17 7 years ago

Sure, as long as it's an Angry Birds Hot Wheels pin.

100_1275.JPG

#18 7 years ago

I'll tell you what keeps me away from this idea...toys Toys TOYS. I don;t need to see a game that has 47 hot wheels glued to it. And then the after market gets it and glues on another 20.

I can see the car racing aspect could be fun though.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from eXidy:

Hot Wheels?? No thanks!!! I think its time for a cool horror theme pin.
    Jon

I'd love a horror theme, huge SAW fan but would SAW be a good horror theme for a pinball? Playfield toys could be insanely cool.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Would SAW be a good horror theme?

I don't think so. It could be but the whole Saw tie in could make it too cheesy.

#22 7 years ago

It could be cool I guess...would certainly be a completely new direction from stern. Then again, they do throw us weird hints inbetween games to make us think that they're making something when in actual fact they're making something completely different. Remember, they were making a lot of zombie themed posts during the run up to AC/DC.

#23 7 years ago

I would prefer they come out with an R-Rated theme myself.

#24 7 years ago

I'm in if the pin cost $10.

So no thanks!!!

#26 7 years ago

The loopdloop ramp entrance could have a captive ball on each side of it. There could be one extra captive ball that when one side is hit it sends the ball around the back of the loop to the other captive ball. There could also be a diverted at the top of the loop that brings the ball to one inlane or the other via habitrail. Whatever side you hit the captive ball to, the diverted will divert to the that side.

#27 7 years ago

S---...I'd go with "The Bachelorette" before I'd vote for this. At least I'd get to look at a few hot chicks while banging bumpers.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : profanity and inappropriate statement.

#28 7 years ago

this could hit a lot of markets:
    1. kids (every chuck e cheese)
    2. generation x'ers in their late 30's/early 40s

If this is true, it wouldn't surprise me. Stern is always looking to broaden the market to produce more pins. Heck, they already used a toy car in transformers, what's a few more using the same feature (like they always do).

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

As long as it has a Loopdloop in it ,I think it could be cool .
    Jim

That would be an absolute requirement!

#30 7 years ago

Exactly what you said about WoZ for months........before you decided to buy one!

#31 7 years ago

Lets hope this pin is for next year please Avengers next right? I have no interest in a hot wheels pin, but I can see the appeal for other people, just not me.

#32 7 years ago

kids dont play pinball - keep the theme's aimed at adults. Not at adults who collect childhood toys. 0.02

#33 7 years ago

I had eleven of the original twelve. I was missing the VW bug. Could be cool, but would need to offer more than NASCAR.

Dan

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

kids dont play pinball - keep the theme's aimed at adults. Not at adults who collect childhood toys. 0.02

True, kids aren't playing. And that doesn't bode well for the future of pinball, Stern etc.

#35 7 years ago

Lol would this be HS3 then????

#36 7 years ago

No more little kid themes. Adult themes please. I'd like a R rated pin frankly (where you could adjust the language setting like FGY). I guess a fast and furious theme could be okay (don't know if I'd buy it) but that would seem better for their LCD system. Perhaps that is what stern means by hot wheel, fast and furious.

#38 7 years ago

I had eleven of the original twelve. I was missing the VW bug. Could be cool, but would need to offer more than Nascar.
    » YouTube video
    Dan

you was actually missing 5...original 16 hotwheels in1969
    sorry just my other hobby

original_16.jpg

#39 7 years ago

I'm convinced there is no hot wheels. This is stern trying to get us to talk about it and drive us bonkers. They could tweet anything and we'd speculate

stern_twitter.jpg

Aha! They're doing a gross theme!
    Wait! boogers are green, that means they're doing green lantern!

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

ouch

#41 7 years ago

I'd love to see them do something with the different stunt team colors, especially color changing GI for the different color modes.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedquickss:

you was actually missing 5...original 16 hotwheels in1969
    sorry just my other hobby

Oh no, not at all. thanks for the memory trip. I guess I meant 15 of 16 not 11 of 12. I had all the others. My favorites were Python, Deora(?) and Silhouette.

Do you collect Johnny Lightning also? Remember "Sp(l)ittin' Image"?

Dan

#43 7 years ago

Yea. That was a little harsh - I know.

But a lot of recent releases seem to have lost the plot in what guys like.

#44 7 years ago

Theme is neutral to me. As long as it is fun, that is what matters. A game would have to look and be dang fun for me to sell my Corvette or IJ, which is what I would have to do to get another NIB.

#45 7 years ago

The homenuse market is an over whelming adult male in their peak earningnyears market. While many have families and want these kid themes like WOZ, Shrek, or whatever many of us would like more adult themes like BBB. There are tons of family friendly games out already...be risky and go with an R rated pin. Just one. See how it goes.

Giant thumbs down to hot wheels.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

I disagree here. I think kids are making a nice comeback into pinball playing thanks to us adults with our home collections. We also help spread the word by taking the kids to shows and tourneys. Our kids show/invite their friends and so on.

The themes Stern picks helps a lot. TF, IM, X-Men, S-M, BDK, Tron all appeal to kids. Even AC/DC is popular among the kids.

I think adult themes are 100% NOT the way to go. While I like horror, violence, zombies, guns, blowing stuff up, beautiful women etc., I appreciate that is not good for the future of our hobby and the next wave of younger pinball players.

The theme does not need to be toddler/preschool based, but if aimed at pre-teens and young teens, that is the ticket. There is a good chance the pinball-collector parents will like it as well and since they are the ones buying it, it is win-win.

I think Hot Wheels would be a great theme for Stern.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

The themes Stern picks helps a lot. TF, IM, X-Men, S-M, BDK, Tron all appeal to kids. Even AC/DC is popular among the kids.

I think adult themes are 100% NOT the way to go

Have to agree. GnR was cool but a little too sexy but AC/DC is wife approved and the girls love it.
    I guess like any good Animation Film lately the trick is to find a them that appeals in both segments.
    Where is that Sponge Bob Pin.

#48 7 years ago

Hot Wheels vs. Matchbox

A regular die-cast celebrity death match!

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I disagree here. I think kids are making a nice comeback into pinball playing thanks to us adults with our home collections. We also help spread the word by taking the kids to shows and tourneys. Our kids show/invite their friends and so on.
    I think adult themes are 100% NOT the way to go. While I like horror, violence, zombies, guns, blowing stuff up, beautiful women etc., I appreciate that is not good for the future of our hobby and the next wave of younger pinball players.
    The theme does not need to be toddler/preschool based, but if aimed at pre-teens and young teens, that is the ticket. There is a good chance the pinball-collector parents will like it as well and since they are the ones buying it, it is win-win.
    I think Hot Wheels would be a great theme for Stern.

I'm with you. I think something along the lines of Call of Duty or one of the other popular shooters (not a fan, myself) could bring in both kids and adults.

#50 7 years ago

I want a post-apocalyptic pin...maybe in the mode of Fallout/Mad Max. Could have your zombies/mutants and badass art IMO. Crumbled Statue of liberty and/or other cool landmarks.

Or a similar title pin called Plague. Similar to Ipad game. You start with a virus and shots could be to make it more contagious/lethal or whatever. Goal is to spread plague and kill everyone in the world. Shots could be set up to morph plague and dictate where it spread, like which continents.

Both of these themes would be dark and possible R rated, but could have killer art IMO.

Okay, at least I'd buy em anyway.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 244.99
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 245.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 12.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Multigame
    $ 28.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Lee's Parts
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside