(Topic ID: 219465)

Stern Hot Hand

By AntennaMan

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider antennaman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

1979 Stern Hot Hand, it's a M-100 MPU. About the only thing functional is the GI. The guy I got it from said it was working well, then everything went out at once. He thought it had to do with the tiny red push button with a short section of attached white wire, breaking off something. I believe the button is the diagnostics button?

At first the LED flashed 5 times at power on. I switched U10 & U11, then it went to 6 blinks. There doesn't appear to be any battery damage. There's an external battery holder mounted to the inside of the cab, but there were no batteries in it.

I've left the machine on & a couple of times the displays will later for no apparent reason light. First time I rebooted, the GI came back on, but not the displays. The next morning the displays were on, and stayed that way for a couple of days until I turned the machine off.

All fuses test good, voltages on rectifier board TP1-4 are as they should be, but TP5 is 0. It should be +43. Seat unseat connectors, nothing. Push on the corner of the board and it acts like a bad connection. Remove the rectifier board from the metal backing plate and everything lights up, GI, feature lights, even the giant rotating flipper bat at the top of the playfield. I touch a drop target, it registers 500. Drop a quarter in the slot, push the start button and the ball pops out. Everything is looking the way it should. Plunger back and we're playing. Hit the right flipper button, it starts to flip, but stops and sadly returns to the down position. Now it's back to just GI, the way we began. All fuses still check good. The coil isn't binding, it moves freely. Reboot and now I'm getting just 1 flash from the LED. Any ideas?

#4 5 years ago

Quick flash then 2 regular flashes, with just J4 connected, but then I added the rest of the connectors one at a time, but the flashes stayed the same, 1 quick, 2 regular.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Time to try a new known good PIA.

Are you still selling them?

#8 5 years ago

I pulled an Alltek board I had in a game in storage, but only get 7 of the 8 blinks. Missing 43 vdc. Checked fuse again, okay. Traced wire back to the transformer, continuity through fuse to transformer. Checked for voltage from this point on the transformer, 0. Is the transformer bad?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 45.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 199.95
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes
Cabinet parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider antennaman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hot-hand?tu=antennaman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.