• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello, I'm new to the forum.
I'm restoring a Stern Hot Hand, at beginning I've had problems with MPU acid damage, but changed with a reconditioned one and then ok, I've got 7 flashes.
But not everytime, I've seen that after the 4th flash the spinning flipper begins to turn and then happens that pinball freeze and stops diagnostics (flash off), sometimes it happens during the 5th flash and then led stays on. When it goes to the 7th flash and the pinball is on, if i start a game when spinning flipper starts to turn it goes off again. Or few times happens that pinball starts ok and i can play normally.
I supposed a problem in the spinning flipper, so I've tried first to disconnect the lower right connector on solenoid board and everything goes ok, mpu starts correctly everytime. So I reconnected the connector on solenoid board and disconnected the little connector in the lower cabinet which goes from tranformator to spinning flipper motor, also in this case everything works fine.
I inspected spinning flipper relay and seems ok. All TP are in the correct values.
Can i check something else? Do you think something is faulty? Do you have any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help
Marco from Italy

#3 3 years ago

Yep, this drove me nuts on mine so I added the MOV based on the ones that Orbitor 1 used. I'm going to try this on the replacement black hole motor I have as well because when it's enabled, it causes random lockups on the game.

4 months later
#4 3 years ago

Thank you so much! Problem solved, even after months...
Now I'm starting changing all fused coils, but still have problems with 1 amp fuse under the playfield.
I've installed bumpers first but fuse blowed all the time even with only one coil (i've tried one an once but blow all the times).
So i deconnected all bumpers coils and connected slingshots. In this case they work ok.
Do you have any idea of why all bumpers make fuse blow? If problem was only one i would have suspected some failure on solenoid board, but i this case i'm missing somenthing.
thank you for your help

#5 3 years ago

Is it a slow blow fuse?

It's also not unprecedented to have multiple transistors or chips out on the solenoid board. You can test the solenoid board for shorts by either testing the transistors individually (per pinwiki) or disconnect the larger connectors from it (left side and lower right) and use a meter in continuity and measure each pin for a ground connection - anyone that has ground in game over (other than the coin lockout one which is j2 pinhas either a blow tip transistor or the 3081 transistor array, or there's something else going on with the mpu sending spurious signals over.

You should be able to remove the lower right .100 connector on the solenoid board as well for testing this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 69.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hot-hand-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.