Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RaoulJuke
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

The left flipper on my Stern Hot Hand has stopped working. This machine is my only Stern and the oldest I own, can a little unfamiliar with it ( only had it a month). I have so far re-pinned all the connectors to the Power Rectifier board as those pins looked pretty worn. I have no replacement pins for the J1, J2 etc up in the head box, but have removed and reseated each connector. Cant replace the pins on that currently ( do have a few spare, but no way near enough to replace all the connectors)

I then dismantled and cleaned all the flipper parts & replaced the coil sleeves which were extremely black, & re-soldered the wires to the coil. Still no luck.

I have now removed both coils and swapped them over the opposite side. The left sided flipper still does not work, although I can see it trying to move and can hear it powering up. After several flips I can now get the left to occasionally fire off - although its weak and only will do so once. The right sided flipper is working perfectly after the coil swap, so assume that both coils are fine.

The left flipper button appears to be making perfect contact - the wires to the flipper button also look well attached & cant see any issue there.

Fuses have all been removed, tested and checked. No issues there.

It looks like there is not enough power firing into the left coil to power a shot. Flipper movement appears free and fine.

Anyone offer any suggestion to what I should be looking for next to fix this flipper - thanks in advance for any help offered

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

although I can see it trying to move and can hear it powering up.

If you see the flipper trying to move, that is indicative of the flippers end of stroke switch not making contact in the down position.
You can confirm it by holding the left flipper button, then manually lift the flipper bat. If the flipper stays up, it means the end of stroke switch is not making contact to allow the flipper coil to thrust the bat.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

If you see the flipper trying to move, that is indicative of the flippers end of stroke switch not making contact in the down position.
You can confirm it by holding the left flipper button, then manually lift the flipper bat. If the flipper stays up, it means the end of stroke switch is not making contact to allow the flipper coil to thrust the bat.

Hi Quench, I think the issue was dodgy connections at J1 & J2. I think the entire headbox could do with all the connectors being re-pinned. It appears to be fixed & playing really well, Enjoying it a lot as its easy going to play. .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.95
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hot-hand-left-flipper-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.