Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by johnboy1313
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6619201D-E9DA-4949-8A94-D216188BA7B7 (resized).jpeg
021BD35B-99AB-4F05-8E8C-02F154C64DB2 (resized).jpeg
Hot Hand Solenoid Schematic (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

I picked up a Stern Hot Hand this week. Once a game is coined up, only the flipper solenoids are working. The other solenoids, all three thumpers, the kicker, both slingshots, the outhole, the drop targets, and the motorized bat at the top of the playfield, are all dead. Looking at the schematics, I see that all of the dead solenoids (except the rotating bat) are common to plug J5 on the solenoid driver board. I also see that they are all common to U2 on that same board, except the rotating bat.

I haven’t had a chance to take any voltage readings with a meter. I'll get them this afternoon. For now, if my flippers are working, does that rule out the bridge rectifier board?

Other than connectors and pins, which I will be getting to, can any of you suggest another common area that might contribute to this issue?

Thanks!

Hot Hand Solenoid Schematic (resized).jpg
#2 5 months ago

Have you checked the under-playfield solenoid fuse? The flippers are not on that circuit (only on the 43v fuse on the power-supply), so every other solenoid being dead is suspiciously likely to be the under-playfield fuse.

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Have you checked the under-playfield solenoid fuse? The flippers are not on that circuit (only on the 43v fuse on the power-supply), so every other solenoid being dead is suspiciously likely to be the under-playfield fuse.

Good call. The fuse was blown. I popped in another. The game started and was playing great for a moment but then it blew again. Now it blows immediately when starting. I’m going to try disconnecting each solenoid one at a time to see if I can narrow it down.

#4 5 months ago

I found a thumper coil that is locked. I clipped the black lead but left the bus line connected. The fuse doesn’t blow now. Thanks again for the tip.

I’m moving onto a different issue now. In the middle of the playfield is a bank of 24 lights. In attract mode they all light one at a time until they are all lit. With every light that fires, the ones that were already lit go a little dimmer. By the time all lights are lit, they’re barely visible. Any ideas?

Here’s a video clip.

#5 5 months ago

Have you re-pinned the connectors for the rectifier board? Sounds like the lamps getting dim is likely a connector problem, be it there or at the lamp driver board. If connectors have already been replaced, next thing to check is the voltage going to the feature lamps.

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you re-pinned the connectors for the rectifier board? Sounds like the lamps getting dim is likely a connector problem, be it there or at the lamp driver board. If connectors have already been replaced, next thing to check is the voltage going to the feature lamps.

I have not done any of the connectors yet. I am hoping to go to Pinball Life in Huntley, IL tomorrow to get a new rectifier board and a replacement bumper coil. I have the parts to do the other connectors already and plan to fix that too. I have the parts to repin the boards as well, but to be honest I didn’t have the best luck repinning the last time. Things went south and I opted to go with Alltek boards. Thanks for the advice.

#7 5 months ago

Your coil problem might not be a bad coil - it could be a bad transistor on the driver board. Not sure if Pinball Life carries transistors but you might want to pick up a couple just in case.

#8 5 months ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Your coil problem might not be a bad coil - it could be a bad transistor on the driver board. Not sure if Pinball Life carries transistors but you might want to pick up a couple just in case.

I’ve got some. It’s the coil for sure. The sleeve is burned up and the resistance is almost shorted.

Would this be suitable replacement? I can’t find a J-26-1200 at Pinball Life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5044-ot26-1200-coil.html

021BD35B-99AB-4F05-8E8C-02F154C64DB2 (resized).jpeg6619201D-E9DA-4949-8A94-D216188BA7B7 (resized).jpeg
#9 5 months ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I thought about what you were saying. I checked that transistor and it’s got a dead short. I’ll throw some capacitors at it while I’m at it. Thanks for the tip.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside