Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210131_202451 (resized).jpg
20210130_190203 (resized).jpg
20210130_171629 (resized).jpg
20210130_171056 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I brought home a Stern Hot Hand tonight and after a couple plays the sound cut out completely. I reseated everything from the sound board, checked for loose connectors/wires throughout, and booted up again.

Now I get sporadic noises at start up then a constant hum from the speaker. No other sound with gameplay.

First, while poking around, I noticed the connector on the bottom of the rectifier board was getting very hot. I pulled it to take a look and it's definitely burning up. I'll obviously need to rebuild this connector, but I'll need to figure out was causing it to begin with. I also can't seem to find any sort of wiring diagram to figure out which pins are causing this.

20210130_171056 (resized).jpg20210130_171056 (resized).jpg

I also noticed a wire disconnected on one end that leads to the speaker plate with the volume control. Any ideas where this should go?

20210130_171629 (resized).jpg20210130_171629 (resized).jpg
20210130_190203 (resized).jpg20210130_190203 (resized).jpg

I'm pretty new to this so thanks for any help. It wasn't having any issue before we moved it.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from BrotherSir:

I also noticed a wire disconnected on one end that leads to the speaker plate with the volume control.

That looks like a non-factory wire. Just remove it.

Quoted from BrotherSir:

Now I get sporadic noises at start up then a constant hum from the speaker. No other sound with gameplay.

Start a game and keep tapping some playfield switches, while wiggling the ribbon cable on each end at the top of the SB100 sound board and the MPU board, does anything change with sounds?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

That looks like a non-factory wire. Just remove it.

Start a game and keep tapping some playfield switches, while wiggling the ribbon cable on each end at the top of the SB100 sound board and the MPU board, does anything change with sounds?

I think I messed up putting the ribbons back on when I originally reseated them. I got it back to no sound at all now, and wiggling them while hitting switches doesn't produce any sound. Here's how it is set up.

20210131_202451 (resized).jpg20210131_202451 (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Well I'm special. I reseated the SB side of the connectors and got my sound back. I either missed a pin the first time or didn't get it seated right.

At least in the process I found some other things I need to look at. Obviously the connector on the rectifier burning up.

Also, all of the backbox lights that indicate player count are out. This would be the 4 lights on the bottom left, each light behind the suits of the players, and a couple other lights along the bottom right. I assume it's a power issue since the bulbs are good.

#5 3 years ago

Looks like you missed a pin between the ribbon cables on the sound board. Easy to do.

4 months later
#6 2 years ago

.............. My.
. Me. N

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hot-hand-1?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.