(Topic ID: 56231)

Stern home "fun" tournament settings (Metallica Pro)

By Triumvirat73

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

I tried looking through the archives but couldn't really find anything that discusses whether or not the newer Stern pins can be set up for a home, non-cash, tournament structure.

I have the Canadian version of Metallica Pro which comes with the tournament button, so I'm hoping to employ tournament mode for some fun home tournaments when we have friends over, or just feel like mixing it up a bit.

I am not familiar with Sterns tournament options, but I will have a look at the manual when I get home from the office. I'm just hoping that someone can guide me in the right direction in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!,

Cheers,
Greg

#2 10 years ago

There is a tourney mode in the menus. It's more used for on location really over a certain amount of days. Try it, you'll see...

There is also a competition mode if you turn it on and hold down the left flipper before you start a game. It makes the game more even between players.

#3 10 years ago

You could use the tourney mode, but it will just let you know who got the highest score, which I doubt is what you want.

There are some software options online if you want to do a bracket event, or a normal point tourney. You can also play pingolf where you set a score and then see how many balls it takes each person to surpass that score.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You could use the tourney mode, but it will just let you know who got the highest score, which I doubt is what you want.

If that's what he's going for, setting the award type to Prize will accomplish this. Use the custom option, not quick start. Select High Score, not Bump & Win. Set ending time, number of prizes (high scores to keep track of), start tournament, set game to free play and you're good to go.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate the info.

It would seem as though I have a bit to learn when it comes to pinball tournament formats. lol

That competition mode sounds interesting Tom. I'll have to look into that a bit further.

Cheers!

1 year later
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

There is a tourney mode in the menus. It's more used for on location really over a certain amount of days. Try it, you'll see...
There is also a competition mode if you turn it on and hold down the left flipper before you start a game. It makes the game more even between players.

Can you (or anyone) elaborate with more details on how the "Competition mode" works?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Can you (or anyone) elaborate with more details on how the "Competition mode" works?

Competition mode is a standard setting that equalizes mystery awards and scoring for all players. This is the setting used for tournaments. Mystery awards typically are awarded in a specific order, although multiballs and other things can change them slightly. Player competition, also a standard setting, allows both normal play and competition play. Hold in left flipper with at least one credit until display says hit start now, hit start button. I enable this on all my location Stern's.

Neither of these are related to Tops tournaments, which have their own section of manual and diag menu. Read your manual for more details. If either section of you manual is missing, download the manual for an earlier SAM game from Stern's website. Tops and standard settings are essentially the same for all SAM games and the older manuals seem to be more complete.

3 months later
#8 9 years ago

Does competition mode also eliminate extra balls and give you scoring instead for them? If not how to do employ this, like the settings that are implemented for PAPA tournaments.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 25.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-home-fun-tournament-settings-metallica-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.