(Topic ID: 49775)

Stern hires John Trudeau

By flynnibus

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P5062369.JPG
    P5062368.JPG
    P5062365.JPG
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Stern just posted a photo on their FB page annoucing they've hired John Trudeau

Stern really is filling back up after laying all those people off. I guess the tiered model approach is really working for them.

For those not familar.. John was an engineer and game designer from Gotlieb days and eventually williams too

#3 10 years ago

Vacation America is at the top of his list. woot! woot!

Does have some nice titles to his credit. I loved his art on my JD.

http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/john-trudeau

#4 10 years ago

John is a talented designer and has made some really unique playfield designs over the years. He's a hell of a nice guy too! Congrats to Stern and John!!!

#5 10 years ago

Sign me up for the Night Moves reissue.

#6 10 years ago

Last year heighway pinball announced that John was working for them
    What happened

#7 10 years ago

NFW, this is awesome. I am so happy to see all the great designers back to work! Pinball is booming!

#8 10 years ago

Stern Just keeps building a bigger and bigger a-list team.

#9 10 years ago

Pinballgeek: Maybe Circe was his idea, and he went when they crapped on it. 100% speculation, but it makes me happy to think that they had the help of an experienced designer and crapped on an awesome unique theme and lost that assitance to work on yet another retarded "motorsports" theme.

#10 10 years ago

Yay! John certainly knows how to think outside the pinball box and push possibilities. My favorite designer. Can't wait to see what he does with Stern.

#11 10 years ago

His playfields are always unique and fun to shoot. Plus, he's just a great guy. Congrats to him and to Stern for getting him!

Move your car!!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Pinballgeek: Maybe Circe was his idea, and he went when they crapped on it. 100% speculation, but it makes me happy to think that they had the help of an experienced designer and crapped on an awesome unique theme and lost that assitance to work on yet another retarded "motorsports" theme.

Well I'm glad that he now works for stern now we have more people who worked for bally/Williams or gotlieb from the past working for stern

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Vacation America is at the top of his list. woot! woot!
    Does have some nice titles to his credit. I loved his art on my JD.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/john-trudeau

Thanks for posting the link for the listing of games he's been involved in. Great bunch of games! Looking forward to seeing what he works on in the near future.

#14 10 years ago

Is he an addition or a replacement? Maybe Gomez is stepping away from design to concentrate on other responsibilities.

#15 10 years ago

^ this. Totally smells like Gomez is taking the designer hat off. To which I say, "good".

Later,
    EV

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Move your car!!

No doubt! "Send backup unit's"

Great designer, just yesterday I was wondering where he ended up.

Nice!

#17 10 years ago

Zomg I hope he makes a follow up to Raven!

Ok just kidding around, he does have some nice game history in his bag of tricks.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Trudeau was announced as a designer of future Heighway Pinball projects after the first game was changed.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-two-big-announcements-a-new-game-and-designer

#19 10 years ago

Nice to see Dr. Flash back in action. Can't wait for Flintstones Viva Rock Vegas, the pin.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fliptastic:

Is he an addition or a replacement? Maybe Gomez is stepping away from design to concentrate on other responsibilities.

he's already said previously he is trying to be more management and less hands-on game designer

#21 10 years ago

I heard this rumour bouncing around Allentown. Good for John, I've met him and he's a great guy. I'm glad to see more designers coming back to work.

I wonder what Pat Lawlor and Brian Eddy are doing these days.

-Jim

#22 10 years ago

Has there ever been any other pinball with flippers like Trudeau's Q*Bert? And can someone somewhere please put one out so I can try it?

#23 10 years ago

Gomez is more or less done being Lead designer on any games, his job is to over see and manage the development team. Glad to see Stern has a 4th experienced designer in house to take the Stress of Gomez!!

#24 10 years ago

I miss my Congo-- severely!

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Has there ever been any other pinball with flippers like Trudeau's Q*Bert? And can someone somewhere please put one out so I can try it?

I played the one at PHOF and can honestly say I am glad it was never really put into production. Really would have been an utter fail.

#26 10 years ago

Wonder if things are improving and as time goes by maybe stern is looking to do more than three titles a year ?

Exciting times.

Check the internet Pinball Database for a lot of John's prototypes he put up there.

LTG : )

#27 10 years ago

Great! Trudeau always did something totally different for each of his pins, which is something Stern needs.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Great! Trudeau always did something totally different for each of his pins, which is something Stern needs.

Not a huge fan of his game other than CFTBL, but you are absolutley correct. Get some brand new ideas in there!

#29 10 years ago

Good move .Very talented.

#30 10 years ago

Great news. Big fan of JT's games.

Maybe Stern is going to fund the Forbidden Planet pin?!?

#31 10 years ago

Judge Dredd! CFTBL! Congo! Black Rose! Flintstones!

He's got some interesting games on his resume! Can't wait to see what he does at Stern...

Pete

#32 10 years ago

Awesome news! Thanks for posting this. I love Dredd and CFTBL, and hope he makes more equally great games. I hope Stern doesn't stifle his creativity.

#33 10 years ago

Do I smell a Judge Dredd sequel pin based on the new(er) movie??? No, oh well. Would be cool though.

#34 10 years ago

OMG wish you had not posted this link.
    CftBL i knew, and love it!
    But also Genesis ??? That i did not know, and i wish i didn't

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

John is a talented designer and has made some really unique playfield designs over the years. He's a hell of a nice guy too! Congrats to Stern and John!!!

That about sums it up for me too!

I had the privilege to talk to John in person a few times. You will never meet such a super nice down to earth guy. I think he has designed some REALLY great games and wasn't afraid to take on challenges. I for one am looking forward to seeing what he does at Stern.

Congrats to you John!!!! You get to design pinball machines again!!!! Your passion.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern just posted a photo on their FB page annoucing they've hired John Trudeau
    Stern really is filling back up after laying all those people off. I guess the tiered model approach is really working for them.
    For those not familar.. John was an engineer and game designer from Gotlieb days and eventually williams too

That's F'ing AWESOME !

John is a great guy, and was very nice to talk with during my whitewood Tx-Sector project !

This is the very BEST Stern news i have ever heard !

Bar none

#37 10 years ago

Great news!!! Looks like he will fill the design need left if in fact Gomez decides to stick to VP duties. I love John's designs. He seems to have a way to keep his designs feeling new and not recycled. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us Mr. Trudeau!!

#38 10 years ago

Awesome news!

now let the rumors start swirling around about what project he gets... Next year's movies:
    Captain America 2, Godzilla, Planet of the Apes 2, Dracula, another Bond flick.

hmmmmmmmm

#39 10 years ago

Another Bond, and I'm in !

If its done by John...

#40 10 years ago

as huge as the last Bond movie was, that might not be a bad bet on Stern's part.

And it could make for a cool table, gadgets, great music. interesting.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I played the one at PHOF and can honestly say I am glad it was never really put into production. Really would have been an utter fail.

Qbert was in production. Fun quirky 80a

#42 10 years ago

John created the best pinball machine ever made.... CONGO!!! A-lister all the way.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Another Bond, and I'm in !

Like Dr Who, it would be fun to have all 6 actors portrayed (hopefully a single studio owns all the rights)

#44 10 years ago

I'd love to see one of John Trudeau's whitewood layouts come to life. "Big Top" looks especially cool.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Like Dr Who, it would be fun to have all 6 actors portrayed (hopefully a single studio owns all the rights)

Great fracking idea!

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I'd love to see one of John Trudeau's whitewood layouts come to life. "Big Top" looks especially cool.

I have the final version Whitewood that John built for Tx-Sector...

Some of you may have seen the game at York 2011 and Chicago's Expo 2011..

I love that game..

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

John created the best pinball machine ever made.... CONGO!!! A-lister all the way.

His Gottlieb titles were very interesting, satisfying, and fun players...

Its a shame that some of the themes are so cheasy that the tables themselves never got a fair shake...

I have many of his works of art in my collection..

#48 10 years ago

I agree Gerry. Congo has gotten a bad rap for years because of its Cheesy b list movie theme. People are just now starting to realize that game is great. I haven't played any of his Gottlieb titles, I don;t know too many people that collect them.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I haven't played any of his Gottlieb titles, I don;t know too many people that collect them.

I do....

And they are SOOOOOO much fun !

#50 10 years ago

TX is just awesome. It and Congo are easily my two favorite games.

Spirit is a great game.

Owned Q*bert's Quest for a short while but, while it was very unique with great sound and art, I found the gameplay objective was a bit too simple. If I had room for 25 pins, I would have kept it for the novelty. Sadly, I don't.

I'd love to own Robo-War.

Haven't tried Genesis yet either but looking forward to it one day.

... and Raven too. Every games deserves a fair chance despite theme/art.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hires-john-trudeau and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.