• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.16.31 PM (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

spoiler below so watch first and read later:

Sounds interesting...deadflip or Stern Facebook / Youtube at 7pm eastern tonight. An invitational "heads up" tournament featuring 8 players culminating in the winner receiving a new Stern pinball machine. I gather the games/challenges have already been played so it should be a tight, edited program. I'm hearing under an hour.

Eight competitors including Top in-house players like Rayday and Keith along with the previous Heads Up winner NYC's own Nick Zendejas (who brought home an Iron Maiden last year).

"Heads Up" format is players competing on the same machine for individual tasks, rather than long four-player games. Worth checking out, sounds innovative! I don't watch a lot of competitive pinball but I'm interesting in seeing if this format works as an interesting, engaging program.

#2 3 years ago

I forgot about this thanks for the reminder. Go Escher Lefkoff.

#3 3 years ago

One more thanks for the reminder! Gonna put this on the living room Roku yootoobs and see if my rambunctious kid will let me watch it.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

One more thanks for the reminder! Gonna put this on the living room Roku yootoobs and see if my rambunctious kid will let me watch it.

Yeah I may do the same thing. Will the edited format prevent pop bumper burn-in on my ancient plasma? We shall see!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

rather than long four-player games.

The four Player concept is outdated. 2 Player would be better.

#6 3 years ago

Congratulations to Escher Lefkoff!

#7 3 years ago

It really was pretty entertaining. Great editing, graphics and music. And all over in 40 minutes.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I forgot about this thanks for the reminder. Go Escher Lefkoff.

Congratulations Escher.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I may do the same thing. Will the edited format prevent pop bumper burn-in on my ancient plasma? We shall see!

Plasma? Cmon man, costco has 85" 4k for $1600!!

#10 3 years ago

NBP could learn a thing or two from that production, my wife thought I was watching ESPN. Very nice.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

NBP could learn a thing or two from that production, my wife thought I was watching ESPN. Very nice.

Well Tim is NBP so I can only assume that’s where all the good ideas came from!

They didn’t just throw that together in a day they filmed all that stuff in June and have had months to edit it together, and they had solid sponsorship and of course money behind the project.

Goes to show what time, a good budget, and a solid production plan will get you. I’d love to see more pinball productions like this, hopefully more money and resources become available for people who are doing this stuff.

#12 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for tuning in!
This was a passion project, and with the feedback we're getting, bigger and better things are on the way!
<3 <3

#13 3 years ago

It was fantastic. With invitation only you could have some really cool full game tournaments with after ball analysis, cool locations, etc.

Keep it UP!

Ron

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Thanks everyone for tuning in!
This was a passion project, and with the feedback we're getting, bigger and better things are on the way!
<3 <3

Killer production all around from on air talent to the graphics and music. Savor it I don’t kiss ass like this often

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Killer production all around from on air talent to the graphics and music. Savor it I don’t kiss ass like this often

Haha thanks my dude. <3

#16 3 years ago

It was well done and interesting. Tim was so cheesy it was funny. Nice job green-screening Imoto in.

#17 3 years ago

This was the first time in Stern Pinball history that we put edited content out on Facebook in LIVE format. The technical ability has been around for years but we didn’t have a great reason to use it until today.

At one point I was tracking 80 people watching YouTube Live, 240 watching Facebook Live, and 300 on Twitch at the same time, watching the same thing.

This isn’t a small deal, I think it’s a glimpse of the amazing things to come.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

spoiler below Worth checking out, sounds innovative! I don't watch a lot of competitive pinball but I'm interesting in seeing if this format works as an interesting, engaging program.

Not sure I would call it “innovative.” AYCE GOGI has been doing this same exact format for years, in their launch party finals.

It is a very fun, fast and challenging format to watch, as well as, compete in.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

At one point I was tracking 80 people watching YouTube Live, 240 watching Facebook Live, and 300 on Twitch at the same time, watching the same thing..

I was watching the news.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.16.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.16.31 PM (resized).png
#20 3 years ago

Great production!

One idea for next time is insert some callout clips from the game. Ex, play the corresponding mode or multiball start clip when a contestant completes the challenge. Would help feature a selling point of the game (theme) and use recognizable characters to appeal to people who have never watched pinball.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Not sure I would call it “innovative.” AYCE GOGI has been doing this same exact format for years, in their launch party finals.

It is a very fun, fast and challenging format to watch, as well as, compete in.

Yeah we were doing these H2H live in 2015 at GDQ, I think Levi is referring to the package of it all. The gameplay, commentary, approach, etc.
We learned a LOT from this, and the next one is gonna be even better!

#22 3 years ago

That was crazy well done! Shocked to see Nuclear Blast sponsoring the tournament, that was a killer surprise. Too bad I already have that re-recorded Clayman vinyl!

This absolutely confirms that pinball can make it as an E-sport. Well thought out way to do the tournament, basing it on game progression rather than just points. Well well done to all involved.

Now hire me as a broadcaster!

#23 3 years ago

I liked the format of the head to head matches, but could turn down the forced banter just a few small notches. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I liked the format of the head to head matches, but could turn down the forced banter just a few small notches. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Hell no dude!
We’re cranking that banter to 11!
Also I want Tim in a full Tux next time. Hahahahaha

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Hell no dude!

Top hat too.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Yeah we were doing these H2H live in 2015 at GDQ, I think Levi is referring to the package of it all. The gameplay, commentary, approach, etc.
We learned a LOT from this, and the next one is gonna be even better!

Correct. I’m aware the format wasn’t invented last night. I’ve played (poorly) in a heads up before. For me, it’s more fun to watch than it is to play in.

#27 3 years ago

At minimum have him brush his hair. I spent half the stream distracted by wondering if he was actually a werewolf.

#28 3 years ago

I watched this, not really knowing what to expect. It was REALLY well done. I loved the format and the quick rounds. Tim, Jack, and Imoto were great!! 45 minute time was just right. Very Entertaining. Looking forward to the next one

#29 3 years ago

Thought it was great. I still like watching completion live but love the condensed and better presentation of the event.

#30 3 years ago

My very first heads up match was vs. Escher at Expo a few years ago. I beat him once... then he beat me two straight to win the match. I should have quit undefeated after one challenge.

Great format for casual viewers, but one problem I have (and hopefully it's just me), I have a hard time trying to watch both players. Can't bounce my focus back & forth, always end up watching a single player, which is anticlimactic if the other player wins. That said, Tim did a great job with play-by-play so you always knew where each player stood. Very tough to keep pace with two great players in a ~60 second race, but he nailed it.

Let's see some outtakes.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

but one problem I have (and hopefully it's just me), I have a hard time trying to watch both players. Can't bounce my focus back & forth, always end up watching a single player, which is anticlimactic if the other player wins.

One thing that could help is an onscreen graphic check-box of the objectives achieved. Like L-A-I-R, Training Shot and tick them off as they hit them so its easy to follow.

#32 3 years ago

Is that Challenge Generator feature built into TMNT? It's a great idea.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Is that Challenge Generator feature built into TMNT? It's a great idea.

Nope.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Hell no dude!

You were particularly good, clearly the most experienced of the bunch, and did a great job of projecting your voice, which is more of an issue than one would think.

How long did that take to film?

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You were particularly good, clearly the most experienced of the bunch, and did a great job of projecting your voice, which is more of an issue than one would think.
How long did that take to film?

THanks for the kind words!
I'm not supposed to talk too much about how the sausage is made, but that was a VERY condensed version of the whole shoot.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

THanks for the kind words!
I'm not supposed to talk too much about how the sausage is made, but that was a VERY condensed version of the whole shoot.

Yep. ..lol I’m guessing 12-14 hours

Well done! That was excellently done, from the production value to the way the rules were done, to getting a good range of players and making it worth the watch!

#37 3 years ago

That was so fun to watch, very well done!

If anyone wants to see the list of times, and maybe even try to beat some of the times, they are listed here:

https://speedrunpinball.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

5 months later
#38 3 years ago

Saw this today with Avengers!
What a fun concept and good production value!
Where’s the talk about this?
It generated a ton of views in a short period and everybody really did a good job!
Imoto, Jack and Tim Made it work and it looked real good too!

Easy to follow for novices, quick games and fast action which makes it exciting for casuals to see too.
Was thinking just to watch a few mind and I saw the whole 55mins

Job well done Stern for promoting pinball!

5 months later
#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

Saw this today with Avengers!
What a fun concept and good production value!
Where’s the talk about this?
It generated a ton of views in a short period and everybody really did a good job!
Imoto, Jack and Tim Made it work and it looked real good too!
Easy to follow for novices, quick games and fast action which makes it exciting for casuals to see too.
Was thinking just to watch a few mind and I saw the whole 55mins
Job well done Stern for promoting pinball!

Thanks for noticing.

The quality of the content was so high that it was reused, again, for ESPN 8 "The Ocho" on broadcast television.

There is a bigger mission at hand here, to expose pinball to the common person and to the masses itself. It's working.

Exposure and awareness generates interest.
Interest generates players.
Players generate owners.
Owners generate operators.

It's all a part of the plan.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 7,999.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

6,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, FL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 22.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-heads-up-invitational-tonight- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.