9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

zoom (resized).jpg
    Glass Comp.jpg

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 months ago

I think in order to see it you had to spend $$$ on PDI glass. Otherwise they all look the same.

; )

#52 9 months ago

This test doesn't mean much unless the OP used the same shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings on the camera. Manual mode on the camera is the way to ensure the same settings are used from picture to picture, otherwise in auto mode cameras will adjust SS, A and ISO to create optimal exposure (lighting) pictures. Viewing the exif info for each of the original pictures would tell us those settings, but one can't do it with a combined picture.

#53 9 months ago

Honestly the biggest difference I see with this type of glass is when the game is off. I've tried to reach in a game before because I thought there was no glass on it. Haha

#54 9 months ago

Once Fuyao Glass starts offering it for $25 a sheet, I’ll buy some.

#55 9 months ago

There are plenty of side by side comparison threads for regular vs invisiglass There really is no comparison. As for these I can’t tell a difference but I am on my phone

#56 9 months ago

The difference seems small. If the lighting isn't bad I can't really tell that much between invisiglass and a clean sheet of regular glass.

I definitely agree that some environments need anti glare. But at my house I can barely tell. When the price become similar to regular sheet glass I will buy it

#57 9 months ago

Pinball News did an analysis several years ago comparing normal tempered glass vs Invisglass vs PDI. It is pretty interesting. The bottom line is they preferred PDI.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/glass/index.html

2 months later
    #58 6 months ago

pretty sure all of this "HD" glass is simply low iron glass...very common in the aquarium trade...you can get 3/16" thick glass cut to any size you want with sanded edges...i just checked $139 shipped to my door...type "starfire glass" on google...no need to pay over $200

#59 6 months ago
    Quoted from madtown:

pretty sure all of this "HD" glass is simply low iron glass...very common in the aquarium trade...you can get 3/16" thick glass cut to any size you want with sanded edges...i just checked $139 shipped to my door...type "starfire glass" on google...no need to pay over $200

Don’t think that’s correct, but if it is I stand corrected.

#60 6 months ago
    Quoted from madtown:

No indication that the Starphire glass has the anti-reflective coatings or properties of the three premium products being discussed here.

2 months later
    #61 3 months ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

No indication that the Starphire glass has the anti-reflective coatings or properties of the three premium products being discussed here.

Correct. Starphire glass is just the opposite, it is designed with maximum clarity in mind to ensure that colors are accurately visible and that less distortion is present. An anti-reflective coating inherently reduces color accuracy which is not an issue with bright blaring lights in a pinball machine. This is useful in the reef aquarium trade (not so much freshwater or standard salt) because of the desire to see the vibrant colors of corals and fish and because the glass is much thicker and often viewed from an angle. You wouldn't typically do Starphire on a tank with 1/4" glass, but you would for something 1/2"+ and it's very nice. It scratches more easily though and I'm not sure about its strength compared to standard glass. I'm doubtful that it is of any benefit in a pinball machine.

#62 3 months ago

FWIW, If I look at my Stern Invisiglass and it's reflective coating, it's slight purplish effect from the coating that can be seen at certain angles looks extremely similar to the anti-reflective coating I get on my prescription glasses.

#63 3 months ago

I have both PDI and Invisiglass. I think the impact of anti reflective glass is really environment driven. My game room is very bright during the day so the glass really helps. As regards to what product is better...who knows as its really difficult to tell between PDI and Invisiglass...their both nice products....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 139.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Bright
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    BumperNets Inc
    $ 24.50
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside