Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jathomp22
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 1.04.21 PM (resized).png
    zoom (resized).jpg
    Glass Comp.jpg
    There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I have all three, so I took a photo of each one with an identical camera angle and overhead can lighting...

Glass Comp.jpgGlass Comp.jpg

#2 6 years ago

Damn, I can't believe that one is so much worse than the others.

#3 6 years ago

So which is the winner and which should we stay away from like the plague?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Damn, I can't believe that one is so much worse than the others.

One thing that surprised me is that the color of the reflection is different on each one.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

One thing that surprised me is that the color of the reflection is different on each one.

which one would you recommend?

#6 6 years ago

Do you have a normal piece of glass you can also do same picture with?

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So which is the winner and which should we stay away from like the plague?

Pretty obvious unless you're completely blind.

#8 6 years ago

I'm only half blind, but I still can't tell.

#9 6 years ago

I can’t tell either

#10 6 years ago

Yeah, I should have included a standard piece of glass before I took down the tripod and everything :-/ At this point, my personal favorite is PDI glass. I like the anti-reflective properties and the nicely beveled edges.

#11 6 years ago

Is the answer "the cheapest one?"

They all look very close from the pics... At least on my iPhone.

#12 6 years ago

They all look pretty similar to me.

The only difference I know of is that JJP includes invisiglass with their LE's while Stern doesn't include their HD glass with LE's...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Is the answer "the cheapest one?"
    They all look very close from the pics... At least on my iPhone.

I have all three on my games now. The glass price is near the same for all three. The shipping is not. For me I saved $$$ going with http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-6845-00. The problem is that they can't keep it in stock. I bought four pieces and the total shipping was $9.99. Great shipping price.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The only difference I know of is that JJP includes invisiglass with their LE's while Stern doesn't include their HD glass with LE's...

I hope there's enough of a price difference to afford a piece?

#15 6 years ago

I was just looking into this last night to see what was better.

#16 6 years ago

Here's a reflection of one of the overhead lights, zoomed-in. Left to right these are Stern HD, Invisiglass, and PDI...

zoom (resized).jpgzoom (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I can’t tell either

Zoom in and focus on the reflections of the top and bottom lights (above the M on the album, and on the apron). It seems as the detail through the top of the reflection gets progressively better as you go from left to right in OP's photo sequence. The detail of Creech's left cheek becomes more clear on the PF, and the detail on the apron font sticks out more. My $0.02.

#18 6 years ago

Wow I am amazed we can't really see the difference; at least I really can't.

If the shipping is $9.99 and all other things being equal (let's assume they are), Steve is about to get my glass business. I need 3 sheets but my budget is $500, so it's a prett done deal..

#19 6 years ago

I have Invisiglass on my WoZ and Dialed In. I hate having to use a special cleaner. It looks fantastic, but it's a hassle, especially when kids are playing my games almost every day.

Do all the glasses need special cleaners? If one doesn't, there's your winner.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I have Invisiglass on my WoZ and Dialed In. I hate having to use a special cleaner. It looks fantastic, but it's a hassle, especially when kids are playing my games almost every day.

"Special cleaner" meaning ammonia free glass cleaner? That's not that exotic is it?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Special cleaner" meaning ammonia free glass cleaner? That's not that exotic is it?

It's a pain. It streaks on the other machines more than regular glass cleaner. So it's annoying to use. I like the foaming glass cleaner that works WAY better. Plus, you can use a paper towel on the other games, not on games with HD/PDI/Invisiglass.

Also, cleaning is harder on these glasses. You have to work much harder to get little spots out.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I use Sparkle and micro-fiber cloth on all my pinball glass. Not a big deal. A plus is that it doesn't get used-up on non-pinball stuff and slowly disappear (like every bottle of Windex I ever owned)

#23 6 years ago

I have all 3 and they are all very similar imo......

#24 6 years ago

They look the same to me....but I like regular glass, what do I know lol. So many people have looked at my games & asked if they have invisiglass... "nope, they're just clean".

#25 6 years ago

I use Sparkle and micro-fiber cloth on all my pinball glass. Not a big deal. A plus is that it doesn't get used-up on non-pinball stuff and slowly disappear (like every bottle of Windex I ever owned)

+1

Sparkle works great and is dirt cheap ...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sparkle-161-8oz-Glass-Cleaner-Spray-Bottle-and-Refill-Combo-Pack-20515/203261397

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

You can use the same cleaner on all your glass, it's just the windex with ammonia you want to avoid, just get some natural stuff at target and use that for all your games

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It's a pain. It streaks on the other machines more than regular glass cleaner. So it's annoying to use. I like the foaming glass cleaner that works WAY better. Plus, you can use a paper towel on the other games, not on games with HD/PDI/Invisiglass.

Huh...I use foaming non ammonia glass cleaner on mine and it seems to work fine on all my glass.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Also, cleaning is harder on these glasses. You have to work much harder to get little spots out.

That foaming stuff (Sprayway I think it is) is fantastic. Not on delicate anti-reflective glass, but for windows and stuff like that. It actually gets the hazy film off the inside of a windshield!

#29 6 years ago

Here's a reflection of one of the overhead lights, zoomed-in. Left to right these are Stern HD, Invisiglass, and PDI...

Thank you for this informative test. Based on reflections of overhead light, which can be important in some environments, my ranking would be:

1. PDI
    2. Invisiglass
    3. Stern HD

#30 6 years ago

Wait people can see a difference in these three? Seriously? As someone who is crazy with these things stern just won my business. The difference if any is def not worth the pdi price.

#31 6 years ago

How sharp really are the edges of Stern’s glass?

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Wait people can see a difference in these three? Seriously? As someone who is crazy with these things stern just won my business. The difference if any is def not worth the pdi price.

Really? The difference seems pretty significant to me.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Really? The difference seems pretty significant to me.

Yeah, it seems easily identifiable that from left to right you have worst, better, best.

#34 6 years ago

we need a reference image of normal glass.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Yeah, it seems easily identifiable that from left to right you have worst, better, best.

Are you guys looking on a computer screen? Maybe my phone isn't doing it justice

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Are you guys looking on a computer screen? Maybe my phone isn't doing it justice

everything looks the same except the actual bulb reflections. see post #16.

#37 6 years ago

Difference is minimal. The big issue is whether or not you need it for your own situation. With my lighting, it's not a very big upgrade for me. In some other locations, the games are begging for it.

#38 6 years ago

I like PDI, not only does it seem to be the best anti-glare. but the sanded edges are a NICE touch

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

How sharp really are the edges of Stern’s glass?

Like normal pinball glass that comes with a pin....

#40 6 years ago

for the guys that say they see a "clear" diff can you point out b.c I just don't see it.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Like normal pinball glass that comes with a pin....

Ghostbusters came with glass that cut me. Is Stern still doing those sharper edges?

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Ghostbusters came with glass that cut me. Is Stern still doing those sharper edges?

The hd glass i have is much sharper than my invisaglass and regular glass....

#43 6 years ago

I made this video awhile ago comparing the three. I think they’re the same for the most part. Stern wins for me because of the cost factor.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

That's how the designer intended it.

#45 6 years ago

Need all three on the screen at the same time or at least some sort of insurance that the camera settings were the same and no sort of auto light balance or focus was on...

Also, are the reflections from the glass or from the playfield surface?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

The hd glass i have is much sharper than my invisaglass and regular glass....

Yeah if you look at the anti reflective glass for artwork, these is a loss of clarity if you pull it away from the picture. These glasses should probably be judged on sharpness, color correctness and reflections.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Difference is minimal. The big issue is whether or not you need it for your own situation. With my lighting, it's not a very big upgrade for me. In some other locations, the games are begging for it.

I think I need it for my spot - I only have one game with this type of glass - TH, and you absolutely can tell a massive difference, looking either right or left to either game to the side. I'd love to add some to my DW which has unbelievable reflection problems

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yeah if you look at the anti reflective glass for artwork, these is a loss of clarity if you pull it away from the picture. These glasses should probably be judged on sharpness, color correctness and reflections.

And how sharp the actual edge of the glass is like bigd1979 was talking about

#49 6 years ago

I guess my beer goggles are kicking in because I can't see a difference anywhere

#50 6 years ago

I’m still not seeing it either. I’m sure they are all better than regular glass. I’ll try a sheet of something someday.

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-hd-vs-invisiglass-vs-pdi/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.