(Topic ID: 345805)

Stern has apparently dropped the mandatory MSRP pricing for distros.

By PismoArcade

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Venon-Premium (resized).jpg
    starwars (resized).jpg
    IMG_6492 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1005.gif
    C94D1361-7ACD-412E-9668-27FA1F2B7F1F (resized).jpeg
    20231105_092818 (resized).jpg
    cheap (resized).JPG
    Round 2 (resized).jpg
    e7369be5635ab6eac10fc134c83764dc (resized).jpg
    IMG_7042.gif
    resized-image-promo-15 (resized).jpeg
    file_57_10 (resized).jpg
    MV5BMTg3MjAwOTY5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDMzMDQ2._V1_ (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231028-235235 (resized).png
    411A15C0-5E88-447C-B66B-D7BA51275F66.gif
    Screenshot_20231028_230155_Gallery (resized).jpg

There are 576 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
    #451 3 months ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

They are even cheaper than that...

That is a great price. $3,300 for JP home edition is a good deal. Is that the shipped price?

#452 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is a great price. $3,300 for JP home edition is a good deal. Is that the shipped price?

I doubt that price is shipped, but I don't know. The distributor is a local place to me that is selling them.

#453 3 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

What is the price up there in for an IMDB premium? I checked their website and it doesn't list

Forget the prices they listed for premiums(memory isn't the greatest), pros were about $9695 CAD. You'd have to give them a call to get the exact price for premiums (Player One Amusements)

You should probably wait for US distributors to drop the prices though, Canadian prices tend to be higher, always.

#454 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Man $3300 for a home pin, and a JP home pin is such a good bargin. At that price, its a good starter pin for sure!

#455 3 months ago

Thanks. Makes me feel like there is a chance I may end up with a maiden premium after all. Appreciate the info.

Quoted from stubborngamer:Forget the prices they listed for premiums(memory isn't the greatest), pros were about $9695 CAD. You'd have to give them a call to get the exact price for premiums (Player One Amusements)
    You should probably wait for US distributors to drop the prices though, Canadian prices tend to be higher, always.

#456 3 months ago
    Quoted from superNoid:

Man $3300 for a home pin, and a JP home pin is such a good bargin. At that price, its a good starter pin for sure!

I mean, seriously! Not everyone wants to start with a full blown modern pin or wants to maintain a 30 year old B/W. $3300 for a fun, solid NEW pin should be pretty attractive to many.

#457 3 months ago

Well this happened haha

20231105_092818 (resized).jpg20231105_092818 (resized).jpg
    #458 3 months ago
    Quoted from Meadows22:

Well this happened haha
    [quoted image]

Nice! Turtles is fucking excellent. Hope you love it!

#459 3 months ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I mean, seriously! Not everyone wants to start with a full blown modern pin or wants to maintain a 30 year old B/W. $3300 for a fun, solid NEW pin should be pretty attractive to many.

I just can’t spend $3300 on a game with a plastic lockdown bar.

But they’ll get some takers.

I wonder if this is the end of “the pin” concept. They’ve been trying to get this to work for 10 years now.

#460 3 months ago

Would rather save the $3300 toward a new or HUO pro.
    A lot of more choices and better for resale.

#461 3 months ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

This is horrible thinking. The resale on these home pins is near zero. You're way better off spending more and buying a pro and you'll be able to sell it easily. This is like throwing 3k down the drain?

#462 3 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is horrible thinking. The resale on these home pins is near zero. You're way better off spending more and buying a pro and you'll be able to sell it easily. This is like throwing 3k down the drain?

Not for someone who just wants a single pinball game in their home bar and doesn't want to collect games. Reasonably fun and reliable without costing a fortune or being 30 years old.

#463 3 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Not for someone who just wants a single pinball game in their home bar and doesn't want to collect games. Reasonably fun and reliable without costing a fortune or being 30 years old.

You guys keep saying 30 years old like that's a huge problem. I honestly think 30 year old games are great, and not necessarily any more hassle than new games. And I also believe that if you're gonna have a pin, learn to work on it. It is part of the hobby.

#464 3 months ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

If that’s true why are they blowing these out at a $1700 discount?

Don’t think they’ve had many takers.

I return again to the misshapen plastic lockdown bar.

Even a noob can tell it ain’t the real deal when they rest their hands on that thing.

#465 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If that’s true why are they blowing these out at a $1700 discount?
    Don’t think they’ve had many takers.
    I return again to the misshapen plastic lockdown bar.
    Even a noob can tell it ain’t the real deal when they rest their hands on that thing.

This has never worked. Zizzle failed. The Pin isn't apparently a thing. Hell, even Costco sold stripped down Stern's at one time.

C94D1361-7ACD-412E-9668-27FA1F2B7F1F (resized).jpegC94D1361-7ACD-412E-9668-27FA1F2B7F1F (resized).jpeg
    #466 3 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Point me to the near zero $ pins. I will literally buy them all. PM me.

I get what your saying, but please send me some ads.

#467 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I wonder if this is the end of “the pin” concept. They’ve been trying to get this to work for 10 years now.

I hope they stick with it. If they can maintain a $3,300 price point this will get people into pinball. The higher price point they usually are is the problem.

#468 3 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Seriously. I’d be in for a couple of $1500 Stern home pins…

#469 3 months ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

They are even cheaper than that...[quoted image]

Stern equivalent of Zizzle. Hell no. These shouldn't even BE an option. Most of the new people prolly don't even know about the "the pin" Tranformers edition and how much of a shitpile that was. Hone pins are when thr market got so fucking stupid Stern tried to start selling thrm at the SAME PRICE as a PRO in 2014.

Holy fuck. I simple cannot fathom buying one of those. Like buying a BB gun vs a full service firearm or a Tiger gaming watch over a nice Seiko. You have got to be kidding me.

$4800 for one of those when this hobby was absolutely overrun with greed and FOMO. You buy one of those, you might as well take a kick in the nuts in front of your wife and kids.

#470 3 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Quoted from LORDDREK:

Seriously. I’d be in for a couple of $1500 Stern home pins…

Stern would have to sell a few for used ones to come up for sale. Buy these for 3300 if you think it's a such a deal. I'm sure there are plenty available. Enjoy that MDF playfield.

#471 3 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm glad I didn't know this when I bought it. And I'm certainly glad the guy that bought it from me for $4k didn't know this either. We just blissfully bought and sold pins WE liked for prices WE thought were reasonable. Which is the way the world should f'n work. But as others have said, send us the ads for those near zero pins, we'll gobble them up!

#472 3 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

You guys keep saying 30 years old like that's a huge problem. I honestly think 30 year old games are great, and not necessarily any more hassle than new games. And I also believe that if you're gonna have a pin, learn to work on it. It is part 9f the hobby.

I agree with you. My 26 year old (Ballys) NBAFB has outperformed every single pin I have ever had in my lineup except for my AFMrLE. Chicago Gaming does an excellent job building remakes.

#473 3 months ago

I played a home pin JP at Expo. And while a bit barren, it was fine. Looked like a pin. Played like a pin. And kept me entertained a few minutes. Same goes for the SW.

I wouldn't be fighting anyone to buy one at $5k, or even $3500, or maybe any price, but then again I'm genuinely spoiled and have had the option to bring home genuine "Big Boys" into my home. I don't think it's bad to have the homepins as an entry option, though. And hell, if someone started selling the JP at $1500 (I do think that's ridiculous and there's more value there, but am still likely not a buyer myself) I might take a serious look at my wallet just to throw my kids on it. We'd all still have fun. It's an entry level at a more realistic price point for many families to add a pin to the home that couldn't otherwise. I don't think it's a bad thing that Stern is trying to grab that market and add more pinball players.

#474 3 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

You guys keep saying 30 years old like that's a huge problem. I honestly think 30 year old games are great, and not necessarily any more hassle than new games. And I also believe that if you're gonna have a pin, learn to work on it. It is part 9f the hobby.

I was talking about someone who does not want to be "in the hobby". The target market for the home games is folks who are not on Pinside. "I" know that 30 year old games are great, "they" don't.

#475 3 months ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I'm glad I didn't know this when I bought it. And I'm certainly glad the guy that bought it from me for $4k didn't know this either. We just blissfully bought and sold pins WE liked for prices WE thought were reasonable. Which is the way the world should f'n work. But as others have said, send us the ads for those near zero pins, we'll gobble them up!

That's impressive you sold a home pin for 4k. Nice job!

#476 3 months ago

I've sold a few pins to people who have no real intention of playing it with any regularity, they just want something they can stick in their man cave and turn on 3-4 times a year when company comes over. I always imagined that's the home pin's target audience.

#477 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bohm:

I've sold a few pins to people who have no real intention of playing it with any regularity, they just want something they can stick in their man cave and turn on 3-4 times a year when company comes over. I always imagined that's the home pin's target audience.

IMG_1005.gifIMG_1005.gif
    #478 3 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Stern equivalent of Zizzle. Hell no. These shouldn't even BE an option. Most of the new people prolly don't even know about the "the pin" Tranformers edition and how much of a shitpile that was. Hone pins are when thr market got so fucking stupid Stern tried to start selling thrm at the SAME PRICE as a PRO in 2014.
    Holy fuck. I simple cannot fathom buying one of those. Like buying a BB gun vs a full service firearm or a Tiger gaming watch over a nice Seiko. You have got to be kidding me.
    $4800 for one of those when this hobby was absolutely overrun with greed and FOMO. You buy one of those, you might as well take a kick in the nuts in front of your wife and kids.

I see people asking like 1500 bucks for the Transformers "the pin" from time to time and I always wonder if they ever sell them, and if so, who is the poor sap that made that grave error. To be fair, the latest line of stern home models is far superior to any of their previous offerings, especially "the pin". I rarely see any of the newer home models pop up for sale, so I don't imagine they sell a bunch of them. Most of them are probably sold to rich normies who don't know any better and we'll all be digging them out of basements like Brunswick's in 20 years. I do feel like when one does come up for sale in the actual community they do sell. A lot of people over the past couple years were just desperate to own any pinball machine. Drove the price through the roof on all kinds of terrible games like Street fighter 2 and other highly undesirables. I'd much rather own a homepin than any of those myself. We'lk see how many of the noobs who are desperate to own a machine dry up though now that everything is cooling down.

#479 3 months ago

I sold a Spider man home pin a few months back and listed for $2.5k, I had like 10 people instantly say they wanted it. One guy was even offering above asking if I would sell it to him instead of who I had already agreed to. Ha, so that’s at least one positive market story around these games.

#480 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

I sold a Spider man home pin a few months back and listed for $2.5k, I had like 10 people instantly say they wanted it. One guy was even offering above asking if I would sell it to him instead of who I had already agreed to. Ha, so that’s at least one positive market story around these games.

I feel like $2.5k is the sweet spot for these games. I think it’s a good deal at that price for what you get.

#481 3 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I see people asking like 1500 bucks for the Transformers "the pin" from time to time and I always wonder if they ever sell them, and if so, who is the poor sap that made that grave error. To be fair, the latest line of stern home models is far superior to any of their previous offerings, especially "the pin".

I'll be brave and admit that I was one of those poor saps. I assumed that the negativity behind the Transformers pin was similar to the negativity behind the new home pin line. The people trashing on the new home pins are mostly people that have never touched one or seen one in person. In addition there is a lot of misinformation online about the modern home pin line, like Levi claiming they have a plastic lockdown bar a few posts back. So I figured most of the detractors online were just as "correct" about the original Pin as they are about the new home pins.

Nope! That thing stinks big time. I ended up selling it off to another collector for the same price about a month later. The JDJP home pin, however, is sticking around. I have about 1000 plays on it so far and the playfield doesn't have a scratch on it yet. I'm a big fan of games with late 80s/early 90s rulesets and on that front the JDJP pin delivers.

#482 3 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

[quoted image]

Errr, wut?

#483 3 months ago

I had one of those Iron Man Classics…. Can’t remember where I bought it from. I think I sold it here on pinside. I didn’t even know what ‘classic’ was back then until someone comes over to play it and notices that there was no coin slot in the coin door.

The game never had any issues. Although I learned shortly thereafter all about the playfield, missing bash toy, etc…. But for a home where we didn’t really play seriously, it was a fun game.

Especially to get people into the entry-level space, these games aren’t bad. Never played a JP or SW home edition though so I don’t know what I’m missing.

#484 3 months ago
    Quoted from tgarrett09:

I feel like $2.5k is the sweet spot for these games. I think it’s a good deal at that price for what you get.

Well, I think a $3300 NIB Home Pin will be a $2500 used Home Pin.

#485 3 months ago

I love the layout of star wars home and would probably be a buyer at 3k . Probably see some at that price used with these sales.

#486 3 months ago
    Quoted from jid:

I had one of those Iron Man Classics…. Can’t remember where I bought it from. I think I sold it here on pinside. I didn’t even know what ‘classic’ was back then until someone comes over to play it and notices that there was no coin slot in the coin door.
    The game never had any issues. Although I learned shortly thereafter all about the playfield, missing bash toy, etc…. But for a home where we didn’t really play seriously, it was a fun game.
    Especially to get people into the entry-level space, these games aren’t bad. Never played a JP or SW home edition though so I don’t know what I’m missing.

There is a space for a true "Home" pin but Stern is still yet to dial in the value proposition for the home buyer. The closest attempt was probably the "Classic" versions of Iron Man that you had and Dark Knight. I think Iron Man lacked the coin mechs, and the two main magnets. Can't remember what else it lacked, but I almost bought one eons ago since I liked the idea of not having magnets randomly shit whip the balls into the outlanes.

Then for TDK Classic I think it had regular ramps, took out the coffee can Joker reveal, but still had the crane I think...? (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, TDK Classic sounds like a pretty good time, especially if it was far lower than a regular coin-mech Stern.

The new SM/SW/JP Home Ed's showed a clear evolution of listening to feedback. SM was a decent effort but didn't look like a pinball machine, SW did. But SW looked horribly basic under the glass, so JP stepped it up a notch. But by the time we got to JP the price increases really made people question if the price delta to a Pro was worth the extra features/screen/build quality.

If JP Home was $3500 all along it would've been a hit with families. JP Home was never a collectors game, but it had a collectors price. If it's defeatured enough from a Pro, and marketed differently than a Pro, it won't cannibalize Pro sales. True collectors would scoff at it, and the Home Ed. would simply be a new revenue stream. But the bean counters and higher ups messed it up and put a price tag that turned mom and dad away and made us folks look at it and say "it should be half that price". So they sat, and here we are today.

#487 3 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I think Iron Man lacked the coin mechs, and the two main magnets.

Also no flashers, no kickback.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Then for TDK Classic I think it had regular ramps, took out the coffee can Joker reveal, but still had the crane I think...? (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Just one 1-way ramp to the left that replaced the single ramp that had a divertor to go left to the teeter totter or right to the gadget path. No drop target for the lock or coffee can. Crane was still there.

Both IM & BDK Home had some kind of cheaper DMD driver - they lacked the shading gradients of the main releases - it was just like 1 level of orange & black.

#488 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Also no flashers, no kickback.

Just one 1-way ramp to the left that replaced the single ramp that had a divertor to go left to the teeter totter or right to the gadget path. No drop target for the lock or coffee can. Crane was still there.
    Both IM & BDK Home had some kind of cheaper DMD driver - they lacked the shading gradients of the main releases - it was just like 1 level of orange & black.

Ok so there were some serious concessions, but they were still full sized, functioning pinball machines (and the Crane and Monger toys being included were major plusses). Do we know the actual Costco price then vs. the then street price of a real coin-op IM or TDK at the time? That's probably the barometer to see if they learned their lesson between then and now. Those looked like arcade pinball machines, but apparently took enough out.

Those ghastly TF/TAV The Pins, and SM Home Ed. both forgot they need to look like real pinball machines. But were the "Classic" prices a proper fraction of their coin-op equivalents? The new Home Ed's are entirely different layouts than their Pro versions but at least JP Home seemed to straddle the line of "it's not an arcade pinball machine" and "this is pretty decent for not being an arcade pinball machine". Its' price vs. JP Pro just killed it from having any chance in the home market.

#489 3 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Do we know the actual Costco price then vs. the then street price of a real coin-op IM or TDK at the time?

I bought IM & BDK NIB together. I think they were $4k each…MSRP was prob like $4500. If I remember correctly, the BDK Costco was like $3500…maybe 3300?

#490 3 months ago
    #491 3 months ago

The included "new out of the box collectibles" could skew this data.

#492 3 months ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Do we know the actual Costco price then vs. the then street price of a real coin-op IM or TDK at the time? That's probably the barometer to see if they learned their lesson between then and now. Those looked like arcade pinball machines, but apparently took enough out.

Costco TDK was $3300 vs $4k+ for a Stern pro in 2010 ( I think the price point Gary was defending around 2008 or so was about 4200 or 4400 if I recall)
    The Pin launched at $3k on Amazon in 2012

#493 3 months ago
    Quoted from barakawins:

Hey, if anyone has a Led Zeppelin premium for 5000 PM me

ill take one for $5100

#494 3 months ago

I'm still looking for a maiden premium for under 8

#495 3 months ago

I’d hate to be a distributor right now. Lots of dust getting on those nib games. Venom LE’s will be available for years to come.

#496 3 months ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I’d hate to be a distributor right now. Lots of dust getting on those nib games. Venom LE’s will be available for years to come.

Would be interesting to hear how they are doing.

#497 3 months ago

I’m curious to know if the zeppelins are moving. I’m still in on a new premium for 6500 with insider if someone wants to sell one for that

#498 3 months ago

First it was LZ and TMNT, then it was the home pin, whats the next sale to be had? I am bidding my time, seems to be a pattern forming.

#499 3 months ago

If anyone knows a dealer or if you are a dealer with a TMNT premium in stock at sale pricing, please PM me. I reached out to a few dealers that I have previously dealt with but no joy - sold out.

#500 3 months ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

I’m curious to know if the zeppelins are moving. I’m still in on a new premium for 6500 with insider if someone wants to sell one for that

Same here. Hell, you can keep the Insider Connect.

There are 576 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-has-apparently-dropped-the-mandatory-msrp-pricing-from-distros/page/10?hl=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.