IMG_0042 (resized).JPG
Spiderman Models.jpg
image-2 (1) (resized).jpg
image-2 (resized).jpg
78fd8e1b6a04cc9835523cc08faa375fe485645a (resized).jpg
20161128_142757 (resized).jpg
20161128_130620 (resized).jpg
20161128_130614 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

What is that monstrosity?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

missing a ramp and upper right flipper

Is the layout even similar? It looks totally different to me.

Also looks like a color display. Will it be before B66?

#5 7 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 7 years ago

It's running on Spike too.

That backbox resembles my Bally Midway City Slicker.

#12 7 years ago

Price was $3899 from Game Room Guys in MI.

sppin (resized).JPGsppin (resized).JPG

sppin2 (resized).JPGsppin2 (resized).JPG

#13 7 years ago

I wonder if Batman 66 will end up having one of these models.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm assuming this is a new version of The Pin. If Stern ever gets these a little under $3,000 shipped they will sell a reasonable number of them.
Remember, we aren't the target market for these. We are the hard core collecting group, they want casual people to become hard core, this is their gateway drug.

I wonder if they made the under side of the playfield easier to access. That was a major design flaw for the pin.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

you said POS' but i think you meant their new PROS

George Gomez and Jody Dankberg did say on that C2C podcast that were going to continue making pros.

#25 7 years ago

Sad thing is it doesn't have a different designation so some sucker, who doesn't know better, sees this price and buys it thinking it's a full size model.

#29 7 years ago

What if that is the new design for the backbox for the full size machine too?

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Listing says "A full size regulation Stern pinball playfield", and it has real legs. I don't see any evidence that this isn't "full size", unlike (the original) The Pin.
Listing also says "LED scoring display" and that sure looks like an LCD screen to me, so maybe a typo.
Strangest thing to me is it looks like there's a single speaker, by the normal start button placement. That's an odd choice.

What I meant was less informed people may get this version confused with the fully featured SMVE. I think the Transformers The Pin has a full size playfield but significantly less features. Probably full size legs also.

Also that description came from the distributor on Ebay not Stern.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Lots of people suggesting that a newbie simply spend equivalently on a used commercial game seem to be missing the point.

There are many dealers who will sell a pin for this price or cheaper that is ready to go, no work needed. So spending 4k on this would be a waste of time and money. A used full size pin will retain it's value. Games like this lose their value as soon as you take it home.

Quoted from Thermionic:

If the game has a fully-baked design (unlike the Pin)

This is the Pin just with a new display and backbox.

Quoted from Thermionic:

This is but one of many ways to keep pinball relevant (and vindicate the optimists in the "where will pinball be in 10 years" thread), and our default position should be to encourage these efforts to further expand the market

Not really. Location pinball is the way to keep pinball relevant in the future and this is the opposite of that. If they would have put a coin door on the front it would be an intriguing item.

#80 7 years ago

I wonder if they used this layout, this cabinet design, and made an unlicensed game with an 80s space theme, with music and sound effects to match, if I would like it. The layout is a simpler one with the bonus lights and multiplier on the playfield. Add a coin door for commercial use and keep it the same price and I might be in. I know they'll never do that but if I saw something like that on route that was brutally hard like an early Bally at 25 or 50 cents a play I could see myself dropping tons of quarters in it.

#108 7 years ago

Hey vid, is that playfield made out of plywood?

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I meant real pinball games, not novelty head to head.
But then I suppose a "home" game is a novelty...but this one looks a little different.

The Pin was two player game also. I'm pretty sure sure this is The Pin version 2.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

a plunger IS pinball

I think a pinball is pinball.

#143 7 years ago

It'll never be as great as Vacation America.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Spiderman "The Pin" has a rough MSRP of $3500

Where did you get this number from?

The $3995 number came from the distributor on ebay. I didn't know if you talked to another distributor or saw a flyer.

On the plus side, you guys in Australia can quit complaining about higher prices.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

What still gets me is Sterns communication channel. Letting a game like this leak on an Ebay store, totally ruins their opportunity to control the story,

I don't think they really care about games like this being revealed. They know the diehards like us won't buy it. This is for the people browsing Sam's Club or Costco looking for toys to put next to the foosball and air hockey. Maybe even sporting good stores like Dick's will sell a couple.

Has anybody asked a distributor about this game?

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

That's why I think a very low maintenance machine at that price point that is genuinely recognizable as a real pinball machine (unlike ThePin v1.0) might make this a winner.

From what I've seen The Pin looks just as "real" as this thing. It had all commercial grade mechs as well. It had ramps, targets and that spinning cube toy. This Spider-Man looks like it has a set of drop targets that reveal a Doc Ock target similar to Sandman on the original Spider-Man and that probably replaces the spinning cube. I never played The Pin but I would say this probably plays very similar.

If you don't like The Pin, I don't know why you would like this thing. The backbox design? As George Gomez would say, it's what's under the glass that matters.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

How do you take the glass out/free stuck balls. Anyone care to guess?

If you watch TNT's The Pin video, the glass is in a magazine and lifts up like a car hood.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Why not put the speaker under the cab? It's looks terrible in the front.

If it's like The Pin version 1, I don't think there's a floor in the cab.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

From a safety / UL / legal to sell for home-use in the USA I bet there is a floor. It could just be a sheet of thin plastic but something has to cover the high voltage.

What would be high voltage on the playfield?

#178 7 years ago

The original ebay listing says out of stock.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from mr2xbass:

As far as anyone commenting on price posted in the eBay ad, that price is most likely way jacked up from what an average selling price will be. If you've ever looked for any sort of pinball parts on eBay (or Amazon because maybe you happened to have received an Amazon gift card as a gift), you've probably come across Game Room Guys. Their prices are ridiculously high compared to other sources, e.g. they sell PBR flipper rebuild kits for nearly 200% of the cost.

Their prices on new machines are cheaper than MSRP though. Ghostbusters MSRP $5995 GRG $5495

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

What voltage does Stern use for for coils with Spike?
I looked it the relevant specification: UL considers anything under 60Vdc safe low voltage. However, the value used to be lower and my company, a electronics manufacturer, has always applied special isolation rules to anything over 42Vdc in order to pass UL/CE safety requirements.

I didn't realize the term "high voltage" applied to anything over 60Vdc. Aren't flippers supposed to be 72 volts?

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

There is an enclosure of the bottom of the cabinet, but predominantly for cabinet strength and keep out prying fingers of children crawling under games.

Was there a bottom for The Pin Version 1? In TNT's video they have a shot between the apron and cab front and you can see the floor below. They probably just hadn't put the bottom back on after servicing.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

If they did a retro early 80's style game, with great art and in the PABST retro cabinet, and priced it at $3K, Id be in. At least this game shows the pricing is theoretically possible.

I think you and I think alike.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I wonder if they used this layout, this cabinet design, and made an unlicensed game with an 80s space theme, with music and sound effects to match, if I would like it. The layout is a simpler one with the bonus lights and multiplier on the playfield. Add a coin door for commercial use and keep it the same price and I might be in. I know they'll never do that but if I saw something like that on route that was brutally hard like an early Bally at 25 or 50 cents a play I could see myself dropping tons of quarters in it.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

The "Pin" (Transformers and Avengers) were not full sized pins. They did not have full sized playfield. They weighed half as much as a regular commercial model.
This new Spider-Man is a full sized pin, just scaled back on certain features to lower the cost for the home market.
Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Have you heard from a distributor on this?

If you got that info from the Ebay ad, watch out. There could be some mistakes there since Stern hasn't announced that this even exists yet.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

If you're asking about the new Spider-Man one, I can tell from looking at it that it's regular size.

How can you tell that? When I look at the cab the legs go higher than normal legs. That mean the legs are taller or the cab is smaller. Could also mean SM The Pin is closer to the ground.

#221 7 years ago

I kept looking at the width of the playfield versus The Pin 1.0 and it was hard to tell the difference but the depth is a different story. On the flyer it says The Pin 1.0 was 15 inches smaller. You can tell side by side on the depth but the width is harder to discern. I'm sure it is full size just hard to tell from a pic.

comp (resized).jpgcomp (resized).jpg

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

They look pretty similar to me?

I was looking at the comparison someone did with Big Lebowski. I then looked at my BSD and I never realized how much higher the front legs are bolted on newer games.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

So the original ad says "LED scoring display", so is that an LED DMD instead of an LCD?

It was an ad from a distibutor that's been taken down, so who knows. We'll just have to wait for a proper reveal from Stern.

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Does anyone else besides me like that layout? I gotta be honest I wish Stern would make a dumbed down cheap version of all their games and have it be in the $2999 range with basic display (nonDMD) is just fine with me, more of a 80's style Sys 11 sys 80 type feel, I can't buy 7 to 10 K pins and would rather have a couple fast playing old school style games anyway as that's what I love the most.

Quoted from cooked71:

If they did a retro early 80's style game, with great art and in the PABST retro cabinet, and priced it at $3K, Id be in. At least this game shows the pricing is theoretically possible.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

Welcome to the party.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I love the goofy looking husband and trophy wife:
» YouTube video

I like how Gomez explains things in detail and Gary jumps in and dumbs it down for idiots.

Gomez: "We cut the overall weight of the game from 250 pounds average for our big games down to 125 pounds..."
Gary: "It's half the weight of a commercial pinball machine!"

The slingshot at 3:35 is firing without the ball touching it.

1 month later
#275 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Its a modified Spiderman layout

I don't think the layout is anything like SMVE. It's missing some stuff and a lot of other stuff is moved around. This seems like a totally new layout.

Pop bumpers are moved from the right side to the middle left.
Upper "Web" lanes are moved from left side to middle.
Sandman drop bank has been removed. Doc Ock drop bank is similar but moved to the left.
New Sandman Orbit shot
New Venom right inner orbit shot
2 different ramp shots
No Green Goblin targets. New Spider targets in the same place and opposite side.
No VUK
No 3rd flipper

Really the only thing similar is the bottom part of the playfield. 2 inlanes and 2 outlanes that spell "Hero".

#279 7 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

It's actually a modified Transformers layout. They kept the ramps, but removed the Megatron ball lock and put in the moving targets, and replaced Optimus and iron hide with some other stuff.
Thought there was a comparison pic of the TF pro along with this Spider Man.

I don't see that either. The upper lanes and pops are all the way on the left side on TF. The ramps aren't the same. There are no similar "Spider" targets on TF. There's no captive ball or scoop that I can tell on Spider-Man. Remember this is a full size playfield on Spider-Man.

I think the comparison pic was a TF the Pin with this game.

#281 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I hope they make this model for every release, personally I think its great, its like a 80's version, could be the only option for some with limited funds who want to buy a new pin.

I like the layout as well but wish they would do an 80s style theme and add a coin door. They could at least put a blank door in and give us the option of adding a coin door.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Taking away the coin do was deliberate. They don't wanting ops buying this. They want ops buying their commercial games. More profit.

Nothing functionally different about this game compared to a Pro model except the coin door. If set next to each other, it might make their Pros look bad to the casual player with that LED screen.

Maybe I'll buy one, put a coin door in it and wire the coin door to the start button. On quarter play, this thing might just blow everything out of the water if it plays decent.

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Actually there are alot of differences between the home model and PRO. The only solenoids are trough and bumpers. No drops, no moving target bank,etc. They also use an LED panel made of individual LEDS (not lcd monitor). I think the lighting is all single white boards if I recall. Sound is one speaker. Its specifically made for the casual user, not enthusiast or to be used commercially. It is their next generation 'The Pin' at a reduced cost.

Well I wasn't comparing this to Spider-Man Pro. I was speaking in general. I mean one of the selling points is everything on the playfield is commercial grade with a playfield that's full size.

I think the Doc Ock target bank does move. There are targets behind it so I assume that it lowers so the player can shoot at them.

If everything on the playfield is commercial grade and it's running the same board set as a Pro, what's keeping this from location? It would probably be more reliable without complicated mechs. You could operate it for quarter play, set it up so it's old school Bally hard and I bet it would be a top earner. Whoa Nellie is routinely a top earner in the trade mags. The local arcade here puts out a top 20 plays on Facebook each week and the top games are constantly quarter games. This is an arcade with over 40 games and half are Sterns.

msa (resized).JPGmsa (resized).JPG

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Top played....not top grossing. I've clarified that with Dan in the past.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

The local arcade here puts out a top 20 plays on Facebook each week and the top games are constantly quarter games.

If people don't play, then they'll never discover pinball.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They mean the Transformers version of the PIN (Avengers has identical layout) not the commercial version.

I don't think that's what they mean but Transformers the Pin doesn't really match up to Spidey the Pin either.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

The upper lanes and pop bumpers are moved.
The spinning toy from TF is gone.
The "Spider" targets are not on TF
The 2 ramps are not the same.

Maybe they decided to let a new guy learn to layout playfields on this game. Maybe they asked Trudeau for a quick layout to remind him of his Gottlieb days. Maybe someday Stern will tell us more.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Interestingly, Stern are planning to test the game on location as well with a coindoor as it may be an interesting affordable title for European operators.

Quoted from Air_Pinball:

It's not happening. This is for the home market. Stern doesn't want this eating into their commercial business.

What size shoe do you wear? I'm just wondering if you're mouth is big enough.

#301 7 years ago

I honestly think if they just slapped some original theme on this thing it would appeal to a lot more people. An 80s scifi theme with some electronic sounds. Find some cheap local artist or get Freres to draw something real quick. The price is what a lot people wanted out of Whoa Nellie.

#303 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

If it were "generic sci-fi" i don't think it wouldn't even hit the radar of much of this machine's target audience. I'd probably like it more, but I also have a 7yr old who is 10000x more connected to Marvel Spider-Man than "robots from Neptune" or whatever they could do.

You're right. Generic sci-fi theme would appeal more to the pinball community but probably not to the general public if that's what they're aiming for. I don't know about location though. If this would be put in bars, Sci-Fi or Nautical theme would probably be just as popular as Whoa Nellie. If it somehow found it's way into Wal-Mart or something, Spider-Man would do better.

Maybe they could use this platform for their corporate promotional products like Pabst.

#306 7 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Unless they make a change to the coin door on the units (rumored for international machines only at the moment) it's strictly a home machine that can't go on route.
IMO, this is a very strategic and well thought out attempt to gain new customers as others age and grow out of their potential customer base. It won't suit all pinheads but it will gain a few sales from this community.
I think their biggest internal concern is still how to make a machine that doesn't cannibalize their Pro models. The physical features omitted only cost Stern a few bucks each (spinners, additional plastic toys, plunger) yet they're the difference in a fairly substantial list price delta.
We know what things cost retail on Marco and PBL and elsewhere so it's a safe bet that Stern gets bulk items far less from vendors. But to include those would bridge the gap closer to a Pro model and I'll wager they don't want that at all. This may seem cheaper to us, but due to standardizing on pops, slings, and flippers (no additional R&D, sourcing, lower Qty purchasing), among the other low cost designs, this may carry an equal or greater margin for them, even as the only NIB model under $4k, especially if this model sells.

The cost to build Spidey the Pin versus Spidey VE must be cheaper. The Pin distributor price is $800-$1000 cheaper than a Pro. If I had to take a wild guess, that would be the same amount I would guess that it's cheaper to build The Pin. But since Spidey VE is at a premium price I guess this is an attempt to get some sales from people who want a Spidey pin at a lower price.

#308 7 years ago

Don't forget that Pro models are getting a price increase with the new display. For now they are still making 7 or 8 Pros with a DMD that are still close to The Pin in price but once every model they make is a LCD display with a price bump, The Pin will fit in a nice spot price wise.

1 month later
#364 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The Cabinet Front, with the Speaker bothered me.

I'm not sure why they didn't put the speaker in the cab bottom. My Vacation America has that and you can hear it just fine.

Hopefully in ten years, I'll find one of these like my VA for 500 bucks. That would be a similar depreciation.

#365 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I like the apron design, much better intergrated than all those cards and decals

Agreed. Reminds me of the mid-80s Ballys that printed the rules right on the apron.

#372 7 years ago

Titles are not chosen with "older collectors" in mind, they are chosen based on some of the same premises that have always be chosen

I don't know. It seems B66 is aimed at the old guys. Did you watch some of those application videos? A lot of older guys who probably don't play much but collect pins like I used to collect baseball cards.

I get what you mean though, but did any company actual target the "older collectors"? Stern's the only company in the history of pinball actually marketing to collectors. Everyone else was marketing to operators which viewed pins as money makers not collectors items.

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The only thing good about this is there is no coindoor. I would not mis that on my 'made for home' machines, as I only use it for adjustments and to get under the hood. For the rest it is just an ugly steel door. I would gladly trade that for a nicer option with integrated art.
Also the apron is great, more JJP Style. I like that. The machine being smaller is not a good thing but for children understandable.
But 4k for a child toy that big.......no way.

You could always paint your coin doors. Check out Steve's (from Pinball Refinery) MB.

78fd8e1b6a04cc9835523cc08faa375fe485645a (resized).jpg78fd8e1b6a04cc9835523cc08faa375fe485645a (resized).jpg

#378 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

I bet plenty of parents don't want their children to get used to putting money in games.

lol Never heard this sentiment. I guess they better keep their kids away from Monopoly and Vending machines.

#380 7 years ago

How much is a virtual cab? I think it's similar and for people who just want a pin in their game room like what's being described as the customer for this pin, I would think a virtual pin would be better.

Maybe Stern should start selling Virtual Pins with partner Farsight for home use. I bet that would bring more sales than this thing.

#382 7 years ago

That would be a better idea, more profit, higher attracted audience, more acceptance, and stop screwing with their actual commercial products.

Do you hear that Stern? HIRE ME!

#386 7 years ago

Stern assumes home owners are stupid, and would either never need them, or not know the difference.

They haven't been proven wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 25.95
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-has-a-new-spider-man-pinball?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.