Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8058D1C-8FC3-49D7-85CF-3E77A7E2EBE1 (resized).jpeg
    JJP (resized).JPG
    Harry Potter.jpg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534 (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    images-3 (resized).jpeg
    erBaSE16H9fe3K7fz9b1rdSKQbU (resized).jpg
    415ed887b01504af430d2d73e4a347d967985017 (resized).jpg
    bfcba5213f410692b0aadd83d68c6116346560ba (resized).jpg
    F050BEE8-6F4A-4E35-AFB9-7F66B1CA924C (resized).jpeg
    hp (resized).png
    Vernon Dursley.png
    Harry Potter Hype.jpg
    Harry Potter..jpg
    hogwarts (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

There's been a few Harry Potter threads over the years speculating about whether or not a Harry Potter pinball machine will ever come out. The Facebook post below, from This Week in Pinball (thank you for sharing!), shows Jody, Keith and George from Stern visiting the Harry Potter theme park in CA. Now sure it could be a vacation...but why would 3 unrelated dudes that work at Stern Pinball be traveling across the country to visit a Harry Potter theme park? lol

Harry Potter may be happening, maybe not, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

From the TWIP post.

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-3/

"Jody Dankberg, Keith Elwin, and George Gomez visited Hogwarts. So does that mean that a Harry Potter machine is coming soon? Well, since they went to Hogwarts and shared it on social media, we’ll share what we know about a Harry Potter Pinball machine. Absolutely nothing. Lets make this happen pinball industry!!"

hogwarts (resized).JPGhogwarts (resized).JPG

#3 5 years ago

Oh yeah, would be a huge seller. It makes me wonder if Beatles really is the next Stern title and it's Harry Potter instead that Ka-Pow was referencing in a recent interview. I could see the Beatles rumors of the game being a home only game (not setup for coin up) also applying to Harry Potter. It's possible that is how Stern got JK Rowling to agree to allow them to make it as that would ensure it wouldn't be used in bars. I can also see the Harry Potter theme, with license rights, costing $1 million or more as the Ka-Pow article mentioned.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Stupidest post of the day. TH has been far from a homerun. The licensor could care less what the game is. They just want the most money. Stern would easily sell more HP games just based on their ability to actually make them alone. You are just making up stuff.

Have to disagree. The way The Hobbit was made and coded is the reason why I would want JJP to do a Harry Potter pin that covers all 8 movies. The code for The Hobbit since the last two updates has changed immensely. The amount of work that went into the games code, animations, rules, music, and sounds is astounding. I wouldn't be surprised if more time and effort went into The Hobbits code then any other pin. JJP made excellent use of licensed assets across all 3 films including licensed audio, video and music. I think JJP is the only company that would put the time and effort into creating a deep and objective based ruleset that covers all 8 Harry Potter films.

If Stern does have Harry Potter I'm still pumped as they have made some deep objective based games over the years using licensed assets. I think Stern did a good with Star Wars as they used the license fairly well and obtained licensed assets for the entire original trilogy. Here's hoping someone is making Harry Potter.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

When was the game released? When was that last code update that made the game so good?
    TH isn't terrible by any means, it's layout is poor though and that's just really hard to over come. Still fun to play every once in a while though.
    No one is tackling all 8 films in a game and doing it well. That's just too much content to have any sort of focus for a game. It would be an all over the place mess in my opinion. You couldn't even have toys that fit as some would be from when they were kids and next they are almost adults fighting a war. And how many years would we have to have to have all of that coded if JJP did try that?

There was a massive code update, 2.96, a couple months back. 2.97 is in beta adding more polish and 3.0 is coming soon. Really impressed as an owner with how far the game has come since release.

I think JJP or Stern could come up with a unique ruleset that covers all 8 Harry Potter films well. You could have X number of modes per school year (7), and a mini wizard mode for each. Maybe 3 modes per year (movie) and a mini wizard mode with each having licensed assets. That would be similar to what Stern did with Star Wars and the 3 mode / mini wizard mode per location idea. Have an option at the beginning of the game where you select your house and that affects scoring and grants other abilities.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Very important note:
    The Harry Potter park at Universal Hollywood is a dump compared to Harry Potter Orlando. If there making it, they went to the wrong park.
    Wide body JJP would be a better choice. But I also see JJP with to much on there plate right now. Was hoping this was Pat's next title.

A Pat Lawlor Harry Potter pin sounds amazing With Keith Elwin visiting the park it makes me wonder if he's designing Harry Potter? I suppose a Fantastical Beasts pin is also possible but I don't see that theme having as much of a draw as Harry Potter, not even remotely close. If they went to the park to get ideas it's odd they choose the one in Califorina versus the superior Orlando park. Stern could have been out in CA for something entirely different I suppose and just stopped at the park while out there.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

The code for the Hobbit isn't the problem.
    It's boring to play and shoot.

Your opinion, many others including myself love the way it plays! Fun layout and many toys and features. Code has a big impact, probably the biggest impact, on how fun a game can become. It doesn't matter how cool a layout appears if the code support isn't there or the rules are like chopping wood. We've seen that many times over the years.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

It doesn't matter how great the code and animations are, if the game is boring to shoot.

Glad you hate it, knew that already, lol. Do you think Stern would put the same time and effort into code for Harry Potter to do the theme justice?

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Gary did exactly this with Ghostbusters.

Good point, didn't he do that a year or so before the game was announced? Helps build hype I suppose and keeps people talking about the game while it's being designed.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

They would certainly sell a ton. I'd be suprised if JK Rowling lets this license go for a pinball machine. From what I've read she's pretty difficult to work with regards to licensing.

What's interesting is that there's been multiple Harry Potter video games, most have been terrible. There's also been a leak of a new Harry Potter RPG video game where you create your own character. Maybe things have changed with Harry Potter licensing and JK Rowling is more open to a pin being created. If the game doesn't allow coin-op it may sway her view as most of the games would be used in homes.

#73 5 years ago

While I wish Stern Star Wars had more in it I'm very happy with my LE. I was debating on selling it for Pirates and decided to keep it due to the great ruleset, unique toys, and excellent use of licensed assets. Stern did a great job incorporating actor audio and video along with licensed music throughout the game. I much rather have those assets in the game then 1 more magnet and a bunch of generic points focused modes. The hyperspace space and Death Star on the premium / LE are two very substantial toys and are much more impressive when you see them in person versus on paper. If I have any complaints it's that more extras should have been included with the LE.

Then again maybe Stern purposely put less in the game to increase profits, lol. Steve Ritichie mentioned last year at a show, jokingly, that "Gary hates anything that costs money".

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I guess that takes JJP out of the equation then.

Wow, lol. Yeah, lots of toys / features, great build quality, excellent customer service, and industry leading code support are terrible things...

1 week later
    #112 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

My god to even compare Stern and JJP is a joke 7 yr still trying to get out game 4 Stern punts out in a yr what JJP has put out in 7 yr

Quality over quantity. JJP doesn't need to make as many pins as Stern does to be deemed successful.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

With there # it is a cute little hobby shop lol

Yeah, Ferrari and Lamborghini are little car hobby shops too because they don't make as many vehicles as Ford, lol ridiculous. Company A must be better then company B because they offer more products for sale! By that analogy Sears must be one of todays most successful retail stores!

2 weeks later
    #174 5 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

I don’t know how anyone can say Hobbit is a great pin. beautiful yes but one of the most boring pins I’ve owned and no matter how much code they add you can’t overcome a crappy playfield with almost nothing challenging to shoot. JJP has made a few amazing pins but Hobbit ain’t one of them

Here ya go, The Hobbit is a great pin Yes we know you hate it, lol. Too bad ya sold it before the last several updates as it truly is a new game. Code support can heavily change how enjoyable a game can become and JJP came through with Hobbit code support big time. After the recent round of updates I now enjoy playing Hobbit over my WOZ. Also, it doesn't matter either how cool a layout appears if the code support isn't there.

Seeing what JJP did with The Hobbit is why I want them over Stern to make Harry Potter as they will do the theme justice. However, at this point I just want someone makes the game. If Stern does end up getting the Harry Potter licence I hope they are able to obtain both actor audio and actor video licenses from the films.

2 weeks later
    #194 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL go to the JJP POTC club thread most of what they talk about is how to fix all the issues the game has

Most early production games will have issues regardless of the manufacturer, the more mechs / parts in those games the more issues those early games may have. JJP has addressed the early Pirates QC issues, see Eric's post below from just over a week ago. Most of what the JJP POTC club discusses isn't QC issues. If you don't want any issues out of the box I would recommend waiting 6 months from when production begins before ordering a game from any company.

JJP (resized).JPGJJP (resized).JPG

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Early production my god man the unveiling was 14 months ago

That's unveiling, not production...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-harry-potter?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.