Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8058D1C-8FC3-49D7-85CF-3E77A7E2EBE1 (resized).jpeg
    JJP (resized).JPG
    Harry Potter.jpg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534 (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    images-3 (resized).jpeg
    erBaSE16H9fe3K7fz9b1rdSKQbU (resized).jpg
    415ed887b01504af430d2d73e4a347d967985017 (resized).jpg
    bfcba5213f410692b0aadd83d68c6116346560ba (resized).jpg
    F050BEE8-6F4A-4E35-AFB9-7F66B1CA924C (resized).jpeg
    hp (resized).png
    Vernon Dursley.png
    Harry Potter Hype.jpg
    Harry Potter..jpg
    hogwarts (resized).JPG
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

According to Joe, Beatles licensing said no for decades until they said yes. So, never say never.

According to Sharpe, he could have had that license in the 90s at Williams.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

According to Joe, Beatles licensing said no for decades until they said yes. So, never say never.

I was told the same about an updated KISS machine. "Gene Simmons wants too much money. Will never happen."

I now have a KISS Pro in my games room. Dreams do come true. Harry Potter pinball will happen, just like an updated Back to the Future pin will happy. Money talks.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to ask, how can an adult man even consider owning this game? What the hell. We are talking about adolescent boys riding brooms and doing magic. Try not to hate and enlighten me.

I think the answer is simple. Clearly you must be the manliest man and the alphaest alpha here.

#154 5 years ago

I've read the books multiple times. I've even read the entire series of books aloud to my kids before they could read on their own (they are in grade 2 and 4 now). The first, let's say 3 books, are more for children but as you read deeper the subject matter becomes darker. Much darker. Back stories are revealed, characters die, characters are tortured. Then there's the entire comparison to a 'dark power' taking over the world. Sound familiar? The entire series has some deep, dark undertones and you can't help but make comparison's with Earth's history. Yes, there are corny bits. The first book/movie should not be a reference for your entire opinion. I would say everything really picks up at book 5, with the movies picking up at 3. Deathly Hallows is the culmination of everything. The movies for this book really capture everything right. The foreboding, the hopelessness, the weight on the oppressed.

My point being, HP is not for everyone. However, if you do want to form a solid, valid opinion, read the entire series, or watch all of the movies. Yes there are some stinker moments, but every series has these. Does no one remember Star Wars Episode I? Imagine this was the first Star Wars movie you ever watched. Would you form an opinion on the entire Star Wars saga because you thought pod racing was stupid? No.

The short of it is I would buy a HP pinball machine because I enjoyed the books. I enjoyed the movies. My kids enjoyed them both. My wife enjoyed them both. Our family is all in and it would be a pin I could honestly buy with near minimal arguments from my spouse. This is coming from someone who's into pinball while his wife frown's on every pin I bring into the house.

I hope JKR changes her opinion.

#155 5 years ago

If Stern's making it, then I "EXPECTO DISAPPOINTUM"

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

If Stern's making it, then I "EXPECTO DISAPPOINTUM"

If Stern is making it, I expect they will go into it thinking it could be 1/2 a box of lights and still sell.

#157 5 years ago

Stern bashing. So original. How do you guys come up with this stuff?

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Uh, past performance and similar quotes from Gary regarding SW?

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Well it’s really pretty hard. Stern employs like hundreds of people that keep making garbage and work really hard doing so, and a bunch of marks lap up whatever milk they squeeze out, and then I play them and be honest.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

Well it’s really pretty hard. Stern employs like hundreds of people that keep making garbage and work really hard doing so, and a bunch of marks lap up whatever milk they squeeze out, and then I play them and be honest. It is really a monumental effort and I appreciate your contributions to the ratings. We all know that Stern has never released a game better than, say, Bad Cats, but still it’s fanchildren will span the Top 100 with whatever NIB garbage they stumble upon. So I thank you for your own “contributions.” You are what a WWE fan is to sports.

I'm on noones side here (truth lies in between as so often) but that last sentence is epic!

Stern can make excellent games. Stern can take risks. Stern can built new mechs.
    But to do this I prefer to have an 'old & forgotten' franchise, that won't cost them a lot to license (because that takes money out of the BOM) and they have more freedom with.
    Stern getting an expensive & restrictive license like Harry Potter and have to built a 'Pro' within Budget... I'd rather pass. (Didn't warm up with Star Wars theme integration.)

#161 5 years ago

I have no interest in the theme but pretty much the same for most games lately. If it's a good player I'll enjoy it on route and league.

My wife would want it but she never plays

#162 5 years ago

I also shit on Harry Potter for years. I was living with a couple that had two kids at the time and I read literally everything on their bookshelf other than her guides to scrapbooking and his MOPAR repair manuals. Finally I grabbed their 9 year old's Harry Potter book. It was fucking fantastic. Excellent word play, pacing, character development, it's everything you could hope for in a novel. It starts off fairly light but by the end they've killed off roughly as many main characters as Game Of Thrones. She's in the top ten best selling writers of all time for a reason and I've never met a person who finished the first book and didn't enjoy it. That being said, I didn't like the movies at all. If they do release a pinball machine based on Potter I hope they stick to the books.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

a bunch of marks lap up whatever milk they squeeze out

Quoted from ezelljon:

You are what a WWE fan is to sports.

Wwe rule #1. Never break kayfabe

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I think the answer is simple. Clearly you must be the manliest man and the alphaest alpha here.

Well I can't argue with that, but in pinball thats still only puts me in the Lambda's no one near the Alpha Beta's Now theres a great theme for pinball machine. Revenge of the Nerds.

Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534 (resized).jpgRevenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534 (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

I was told the same about an updated KISS machine. "Gene Simmons wants too much money. Will never happen."
    I now have a KISS Pro in my games room. Dreams do come true. Harry Potter pinball will happen, just like an updated Back to the Future pin will happy. Money talks.

I was told that the Beatles would never happen as well.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I was told that the Beatles would never happen as well.

Yep, Stern will pursue these licenses for years and as they start running out of old blockbuster themes, they will then re-visit license holders and possibly wave more money around in the hope of making a deal.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Well I can't argue with that, but in pinball thats still only puts me in the Lambda's no one near the Alpha Beta's Now theres a great theme for pinball machine. Revenge of the Nerds.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

OMEGA-MU MULTIBALL!

#168 5 years ago

Game of thrones license was only $6 per game. Let that sink in....

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Game of thrones license was only $6 per game. Let that sink in....

Source?

(Edit: Ah, it's you... Ok, no source needed then. )

If true btw, they really should have spent SOME $$$ on art.

(LE Cab & Backglass is handdrawn btw. looks great in person. I'd stick that over my pro if I ever have one.)

#170 5 years ago

I don’t know how anyone can say Hobbit is a great pin. beautiful yes but one of the most boring pins I’ve owned and no matter how much code they add you can’t overcome a crappy playfield with almost nothing challenging to shoot. JJP has made a few amazing pins but Hobbit ain’t one of them

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Source?
    (Edit: Ah, it's you... Ok, no source needed then. )
    If true btw, they really should have spent SOME $$$ on art.
    (LE Cab & Backglass is handdrawn btw. looks great in person. I'd stick that over my pro if I ever have one.)

Yes. GOT LE cabinet and backglass hand drawn art is fantastic. The artist is Bob Stevlik. The dragon and backglass characters are amazing and he would do a great job capturing HP. You need to look close to see the detail.

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Uh, past performance and similar quotes from Gary regarding SW?

Uh, Pinsiders love to quote this, but never produce a link.

Almost undoubtedly taken out of context.

#173 5 years ago

I love when people are stern bashing on just the very idea of a theme. At least go stern bash on an existing turd like the Beetles.

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

I don’t know how anyone can say Hobbit is a great pin. beautiful yes but one of the most boring pins I’ve owned and no matter how much code they add you can’t overcome a crappy playfield with almost nothing challenging to shoot. JJP has made a few amazing pins but Hobbit ain’t one of them

Here ya go, The Hobbit is a great pin Yes we know you hate it, lol. Too bad ya sold it before the last several updates as it truly is a new game. Code support can heavily change how enjoyable a game can become and JJP came through with Hobbit code support big time. After the recent round of updates I now enjoy playing Hobbit over my WOZ. Also, it doesn't matter either how cool a layout appears if the code support isn't there.

Seeing what JJP did with The Hobbit is why I want them over Stern to make Harry Potter as they will do the theme justice. However, at this point I just want someone makes the game. If Stern does end up getting the Harry Potter licence I hope they are able to obtain both actor audio and actor video licenses from the films.

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I love when people are stern bashing on just the very idea of a theme. At least go stern bash on an existing turd like the Beetles.

That's Beatles!

Unknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    #176 5 years ago

I heard there were some bad reviews of the new fantastic beasts movie coming out.....I’ll stick to my Nastilgic memories of the original series

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I heard there were some bad reviews of the new fantastic beasts movie coming out.....I’ll stick to my Nastilgic memories of the original series

Bah! I'm seeing it on Sunday and I'll form my own opinions of it. I haven't always agreed with reviews.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Bah! I'm seeing it on Sunday and I'll form my own opinions of it. I haven't always agreed with reviews.

I agree, but I didn’t like the first so, I’ll wait until it’s streamable to watch...

#179 5 years ago

It’s too soon for a Harry Potter pinball....need to wait about another 25 years until the kid who grew up watching Harry Potter are in their 50s and 60s. Then Stern will make only about 2000 of them and sell them at $50,000 a pop for SLE level games. That’s their business model. See recent games (Beatles, Munsters?, and BM66) as reference. It’s in their long range growth plan.

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s too soon for a Harry Potter pinball....need to wait about another 25 years until the kid who grew up watching Harry Potter are in their 50s and 60s. Then Stern will make only about 2000 of them and sell them at $50,000 a pop for SLE level games. That’s their business model. See recent games (Beatles, Munsters?, and BM66) as reference. It’s in their long range growth plan.

Ahhh. I see. Wait until the license isn’t as popular as it is now. Then The license will be cheaper.

#181 5 years ago

Will Harry Potter be a rethemed Seawitch? Hey!

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Will Harry Potter be a rethemed Seawitch? Hey!

maybe Stars

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I also shit on Harry Potter for years. I was living with a couple that had two kids at the time and I read literally everything on their bookshelf other than her guides to scrapbooking and his MOPAR repair manuals. Finally I grabbed their 9 year old's Harry Potter book. It was fucking fantastic. Excellent word play, pacing, character development, it's everything you could hope for in a novel. It starts off fairly light but by the end they've killed off roughly as many main characters as Game Of Thrones. She's in the top ten best selling writers of all time for a reason and I've never met a person who finished the first book and didn't enjoy it. That being said, I didn't like the movies at all. If they do release a pinball machine based on Potter I hope they stick to the books.

Same here

#184 5 years ago

Harry Potter is rumored to be a retheme of Nine Ball with additional zazzles

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Sure and rumour is another rumour ...
    Keep going !
    S.P

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

LOL JJP is on game 4 yet they are going back to WOZ and putting out a new edition they are grasping at straws they still don't get it the games have weak sales because of price not because people don't like the games

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Ahhh. I see. Wait until the license isn’t as popular as it is now. Then The license will be cheaper.

Right! Just like the Beatles license.

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

So Gary should wait until he's close to 100 years of age before attempting to make money from a HP license, that may or may not be poplar in 2043, when he could make guaranteed money now?

#188 5 years ago

Stern shouldn't come within 100 feet of Harry Potter. Although I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan I know people would look for that pinball to be more collector than anything else. I doubt very seriously the owner of Harry Potter who has over 1 billion dollars cares about a check from Stern for a million. I think she would care more about how it turned out... which is why she'll go with JJ IF and ONLY IF she decides to approve the game.

Warner has a track record now with JJ... WOZ, HOBBIT and now WILLY WONKA. Jersey Jack will get that pinball if it ever gets approved.

Warner hasn't really worked with Stern in a decade back to Batman Dark Knight. I don't think Batman 66 is actually warners it was FOX.

So no recent track record what so ever and JJ has three games already. I'm going with JJ on this one.

#189 5 years ago

Anyone that thinks that the current Stern games can even come close to the quality and feel of the JJP machines is just being delusional. Try playing a JJP machine for about 10 minutes; just pick any game that they make, and then play a recent stern machine, and it feels like you are playing a toy rather than a $6000 pinball machine. At some point Stern needs to stop worrying about increasing profit margins and start focusing on making machines that feel like $6,000 - $10,000 machines. Its not even close.

#190 5 years ago

This would be a hard pass for me no matter who makes it.

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

Anyone that thinks that the current Stern games can even come close to the quality and feel of the JJP machines is just being delusional. Try playing a JJP machine for about 10 minutes; just pick any game that they make, and then play a recent stern machine, and it feels like you are playing a toy rather than a $6000 pinball machine. At some point Stern needs to stop worrying about increasing profit margins and start focusing on making machines that feel like $6,000 - $10,000 machines. Its not even close.

LOL go to the JJP POTC club thread most of what they talk about is how to fix all the issues the game has

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here ya go, The Hobbit is a great pin Yes we know you hate it, lol. Too bad ya sold it before the last several updates as it truly is a new game. Code support can heavily change how enjoyable a game can become and JJP came through with Hobbit code support big time. After the recent round of updates I now enjoy playing Hobbit over my WOZ. Also, it doesn't matter either how cool a layout appears if the code support isn't there.
    Seeing what JJP did with The Hobbit is why I want them over Stern to make Harry Potter as they will do the theme justice. However, at this point I just want someone makes the game. If Stern does end up getting the Harry Potter licence I hope they are able to obtain both actor audio and actor video licenses from the films.

PanzerFreak is so awesome. "CSCMTP" is a Pinsider who bought the Hobbit on early code, proclaimed his love for the game and then sold it before the updates made it whole. Now cscmpt trolls Pinside to let everyone know he NOW hates the game and infects every Hobbit thread. Total hypocrite douchebag but PanzerFreak called him out. Thanks PF.

#193 5 years ago
    Harry Potter.jpgHarry Potter.jpg
    #194 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL go to the JJP POTC club thread most of what they talk about is how to fix all the issues the game has

Most early production games will have issues regardless of the manufacturer, the more mechs / parts in those games the more issues those early games may have. JJP has addressed the early Pirates QC issues, see Eric's post below from just over a week ago. Most of what the JJP POTC club discusses isn't QC issues. If you don't want any issues out of the box I would recommend waiting 6 months from when production begins before ordering a game from any company.

JJP (resized).JPGJJP (resized).JPG

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

This horse has been beaten many, many times. There are those that would agree with you like myself and those that would very much disagree. I have played the latest Sterns and while I think they are cool games when it comes to looks and theme and rules their quality is lacking, in my opinion,. The JJP POTC however is a kick ass game and feels like a tank whereas the Sterns feel like a Barbie Jeep from Wallmart. If JJP were to make HP I would try like hell to buy one where if Stern did it I wouldn't bother.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Most early production games will have issues regardless of the manufacturer, the more mechs / parts in those games the more issues those early games may have. JJP has addressed the early Pirates QC issues, see Eric's post below from just over a week ago. Most of what the JJP POTC club discusses isn't QC issues. If you don't want any issues out of the box I would recommend waiting 6 months from when production begins before ordering a game from any company.
    [quoted image]

Early production my god man the unveiling was 14 months ago

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

Yeah, JJP machines definitely feel more "solid", and have lots of stuff going on. I balance that with JJP makes machines that cost from 8k to 12.5k. Stern makes machines that cost from 5.6k to 8.5k. That's going to come out somewhere.

I haven't found a JJP yet that where I really enjoy the theme and the game play enough to make me lay out the extra cash for one. Maybe Toy Story will change my mind, definitely the best theme for me personally out of what they have done so far. In general though, I find Stern machines to be more fun, which I will take over "quality and feel" every day.

PS -> Unless you are an operator, Pinball machines are toys. They are just really expensive toys.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Early production my god man the unveiling was 14 months ago

That's unveiling, not production...

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's unveiling, not production...

I always hear how great it is that Jack has these looooong test periods so as to smooth things out Jack has had more than enough time

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I always hear how great it is that Jack has these looooong test periods so as to smooth things out Jack has had more than enough time

Maybe theyre having trouble with the JJPOTC single spinning disk (sorry couldn’t resist).

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-harry-potter/page/4?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.