Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8058D1C-8FC3-49D7-85CF-3E77A7E2EBE1 (resized).jpeg
    JJP (resized).JPG
    Harry Potter.jpg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534 (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    images-3 (resized).jpeg
    erBaSE16H9fe3K7fz9b1rdSKQbU (resized).jpg
    415ed887b01504af430d2d73e4a347d967985017 (resized).jpg
    bfcba5213f410692b0aadd83d68c6116346560ba (resized).jpg
    F050BEE8-6F4A-4E35-AFB9-7F66B1CA924C (resized).jpeg
    hp (resized).png
    Vernon Dursley.png
    Harry Potter Hype.jpg
    Harry Potter..jpg
    hogwarts (resized).JPG
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 5 years ago

This theme would scream for a wide body like SW but we get what we get.

#102 5 years ago

I'm in for one if they make it...

#103 5 years ago

I love how the title of this thread is Stern Making Harry Potter and how many JJP fans felt the need to chime in a make a jab. I agree with the fact that JJP build quality seems to be superior but I feel the JJP fun factor is lacking. I have not been able to get into WOZ, Hobbit or POTC. I have enjoyed flipping Dialed In, but it has not drawn me in yet, the theme is meh. Stern machines for me have been fun to play. The only game Stern has made that is hard for me to play is WWE, and honestly I still enjoy playing it occasionally on location. People usually complain about the most recent released Sterns, but over time people fall in love with them. Why? Because they are fun to play. I would take a BBH over a Hobbit if asked today-because I think BBH is more fun, not that the Hobbit is worth more. Sorry that this thread has turned into a Stern vs JJP thread, but we all don't like apples, some like oranges (some like both).

I will be stoked if Stern makes Harry Potter!

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If the game doesn't allow coin-op it may sway her view as most of the games would be used in homes.

With no coin-op it is not for Stern. JJP can build it and it will be a true LE as they will price it so that they only 500 or 600 ever sell

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

With no coin-op it is not for Stern. JJP can build it and it will be a true LE as they will price it so that they only 500 or 600 ever sell

Cant wait for a Stern zizzle HP.....

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I love how the title of this thread is Stern Making Harry Potter and how many JJP fans felt the need to chime in a make a jab. I agree with the fact that JJP build quality seems to be superior but I feel the JJP fun factor is lacking.

We get this argument over and over. "Fun" is subjective. You don't think JJP games are fun, someone else does, end of discussion, no right or wrong here.

From what I see, Stern is not usually bashed because their games aren't fun. They're bashed when their games fall well below expectations regarding theme implementation or build quality.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

We get this argument over and over. "Fun" is subjective. You don't think JJP games are fun, someone else does, end of discussion, no right or wrong here.
    From what I see, Stern is not usually bashed because their games aren't fun. They're bashed when their games fall well below expectations regarding theme implementation or build quality.

My god to even compare Stern and JJP is a joke 7 yr still trying to get out game 4 Stern punts out in a yr what JJP has put out in 7 yr

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

My god to even compare Stern and JJP is a joke 7 yr still trying to get out game 4 Stern punts out in a yr what JJP has put out in 7 yr

You may be right, but I wouldn't say Stern is a joke compared to JJP because they put out games so quickly instead of taking the time to get it right.

Stern has managed to put out many fun games is spite of their short development cycles and cost cutting in some cases.

#109 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

You may be right, but I wouldn't say Stern is a joke compared to JJP because they put out games so quickly instead of taking the time to get it right.
    Stern has managed to put out many fun games is spite of their short development cycles and cost cutting in some cases.

Short development cycles that's a joke it takes Stern two yr's to get a game out. as for cost cutting look at Woz vs TH vs DI there is cost cutting. I think POTC is Jacks try at building another WOZ but he is charging to much and if he does not lower prices he is done. With Stern CGC AP two games under $6000 game 3 by AP price unknown price by me but will be 3 grand cheaper than JJP lol

#110 5 years ago

Oops, read title wrong, thought it was something else.

hp (resized).pnghp (resized).png
    #111 5 years ago

I hope stern makes jurassic world, and american pinball Harry Potter

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Quality over quantity. JJP doesn't need to make as many pins as Stern does to be deemed successful.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quality over quantity.

With there # it is a cute little hobby shop lol

#114 5 years ago

Seeing big licensed games from Stern disappoint time and again (See Beatles thread) I think it's fair to say that if Stern got one of the largest licenses in the entertainment business, that we will see another Star Wars or Beatles game, and the general majority of enthusiasts will be disappointed with it. I'd rather have a mediocre theme with a great game attached to it, rather than a great theme with a mediocre game attached to it.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

With there # it is a cute little hobby shop lol

Yeah, Ferrari and Lamborghini are little car hobby shops too because they don't make as many vehicles as Ford, lol ridiculous. Company A must be better then company B because they offer more products for sale! By that analogy Sears must be one of todays most successful retail stores!

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, Ferrari and Lamborghini are little car hobby shops too because they don't make as many vehicles as Ford, lol ridiculous. Company A must be better then company B because they offer more products for sale! By that analogy Sears must be one of todays most successful retail stores!

There you go again calling JJP a Ferrari what a joke if anything a Tesla a high end car struggling to meet their numbers

#117 5 years ago

There only two non brainer pins I would buy from whom ever upon announcement. Led Zeppelin and Harry Potter. I would expect this game would have to be a wide body and totally immersive to all the movies. Like both the Hobbit and Stern Star Wars in the immersive category. Both have deep rules and both have a significant amount of rules (which I love).

HP would require a significant amount of code to meet expectations. I would think similar to Hobbit /WOZ. I am not sure I would want a speed pin like SW for this title but more Hobbit/WOZ/LOTR. so if I had my pick I would go JJP based on code experience but that said ,holly S*&T what would it cost? It would most likely make JJP Pirates look cheap but if done right for me "where do I send my money".

#118 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

There only two non brainer pins I would buy from whom ever upon announcement. Led Zeppelin and Harry Potter. I would expect this game would have to be a wide body and totally immersive to all the movies. Like both the Hobbit and Stern Star Wars in the immersive category. Both have deep rules and both have a significant amount of rules (which I love).
    HP would require a significant amount of code to meet expectations. I would think similar to Hobbit /WOZ. I am not sure I would want a speed pin like SW for this title but more Hobbit/WOZ/LOTR. so if I had my pick I would go JJP based on code experience but that said ,holly S*&T what would it cost? It would most likely make JJP Pirates look cheap but if done right for me "where do I send my money".

If it is JJP it needs to be more DI than TH finishing a ball looking up and seeing that you finished modes that you did not know you even started sucks

1 week later
    #119 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Could it be that they went just for the fun of it???? J.K.R.said 3 years ago,she would never give license to a pin ball mach.She also stated that she did not approve of the places pinball mach.were played,so she didn't want her work shown in that format.END OF THREAD>Period...

I have heard the same type of thing. J k Rowling is the stop. She has all the power in the franchise. Perhaps her mind could be changed.

My advice to her would be to make sure if she ever does do a pinball, it is very good, not a reused play field or anything close to that.

#120 5 years ago

Just look at this primo bookshelf space at target.

F050BEE8-6F4A-4E35-AFB9-7F66B1CA924C (resized).jpegF050BEE8-6F4A-4E35-AFB9-7F66B1CA924C (resized).jpeg
    #121 5 years ago

Hello,AZ,Hope you have a Happy Holliday!!!!C U in Lodi My friend !!!!

#122 5 years ago

Jk’s Words about pinball mean nothing to me now with how she has let the HP go to hell. The licensing is as bad as KISS with crappy products, both physical and video. I couldn’t even make it through the fantastic beast movie. I’m all for a HP pin, but It is one of those, don’t make if you f it up. If it was a fantastic beast game, nope.

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hello,AZ,Hope you have a Happy Holliday!!!!C U in Lodi My friend !!!!

For sure
    I Will not miss it!

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

the fantastic beast movie

I thought it was one of the better movies in that universe. I liked the story and mostly that they actually did magic consistently the whole film opposed to the Potter films where you get like 3ish spells the whole movie.

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Just look at this primo bookshelf space at target.
    [quoted image]

How did that Danielle Steel novel sneak in there?

The only thing that would bother my OCD about Stern making HP is that Stern is a US based company so we would end up with the American titled Sorcerer's Stone mode instead of the original Philosopher's Stone mode.

#126 5 years ago

"All told, Rowling created a $15 billion brand. While her net worth is a fraction of that, as it is estimated to be just less than $1 billion, that's still enough to make her the world's richest author. While Rowling's last Harry Potter book was released in 2007, she continues to earn royalties from book sales.Jun 18, 2015"

i grabbed this off a google search.

1 billion today.

#127 5 years ago

Yep, JK Rowling is beyond rich, and hates pinball.

A few pennies from Stern is not going to be enough to sway her opinion.

Although, maybe if Stern did not install a coindoor.......

bfcba5213f410692b0aadd83d68c6116346560ba (resized).jpgbfcba5213f410692b0aadd83d68c6116346560ba (resized).jpg
    #128 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I thought it was one of the better movies in that universe. I liked the story and mostly that they actually did magic consistently the whole film opposed to the Potter films where you get like 3ish spells the whole movie.

Fantastic Beasts would make a much better pinball machine than all 9 (gulp) Harry Potter movies jammed into one 5 minute game. Very good movie and better story telling than what they crammed into some of those HP movies.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

She also stated that she did not approve of the places pinball mach.were played,so she didn't want her work shown in that format.END OF THREAD>Period...

She doesn't approve of my house!? Down with JKR!!!

JRR is a better writer anyway

#130 5 years ago

One would think if your that big whats another item in your checked box. Look at Gene Simmons. They have just about all covered including coffins...

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

JRR is a better writer anyway

Agreed

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I don’t understand her beef against pinball when she’s licensed spin-off movies like “HP and the Sorcerer’s Bone” and the Hairy Twatter series.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from JimFNB:

I don’t understand her beef against pinball when she’s licensed spin-off movies like “HP and the Sorcerer’s Bone” and the Hairy Twatter series.

Hahahaha @ "licensed".... that was pretty funny.

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from JimFNB:

I don’t understand her beef against pinball

She just looks at pics of the players from Expo, and says "Aw, hell no...."

#135 5 years ago

Posted a HP thread 4 years ago. Check out the pic of the pinball machine in the Half Blood Prince movie.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harry-potter-pinball

#136 5 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Posted a HP thread 4 years ago. Check out the pic of the pinball machine in the Half Blood Prince movie.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harry-potter-pinball

Stern will re-theme a Ding-Dong and Pinsiders will go nuts!

415ed887b01504af430d2d73e4a347d967985017 (resized).jpg415ed887b01504af430d2d73e4a347d967985017 (resized).jpg
    #137 5 years ago

Vid; you're usually spot on with your information, but I have a hard time believing that she micro manages every aspect of the 15 billion dollar IP that she knows every licensed product that is made.

#138 5 years ago

I have to ask, how can an adult man even consider owning this game? What the hell. We are talking about adolescent boys riding brooms and doing magic. Try not to hate and enlighten me. The only way I could see this being a positive is if the wife lets you buy it because the kids love it and then u get to play, is that it? Its like WOZ, somewhere over the fucking rainbow? come on. How do you get past that? Am I the only one? or am I missing something. be aware I'm quite mad and loving every minute of it. Theres a great saying from the film Barfly "some people in this world never go insane, what truly boring lives they must lead"

erBaSE16H9fe3K7fz9b1rdSKQbU (resized).jpgerBaSE16H9fe3K7fz9b1rdSKQbU (resized).jpg
    #139 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Vid; you're usually spot on with your information, but I have a hard time believing that she micro manages every aspect of the 15 billion dollar IP that she knows every licensed product that is made.

She said no to Stern and no to JJP, Keith has gone into great detail about the "crazy English lady"

Her exact quote was "Pinball is seedy"

-

I always tell people that you have to look outside your box to understand how regular people view pinball.

100% True story:

My Boss: Hey, Ski tells me you took second place in some big pinball tournament!
    Vid: Yeah, it was close though. Some of the best players in the world.
    MB: Pretty rough crowd hanging around at those places?
    V: Yeah, a lot of fat, 60 year old men who smell like they have not showered in a month....
    MB: Really??? I was expecting guys in leather jackets, smoking, fighting, doing side bets.
    V: Not so much. There was one guy in yellow sweatpants, looked like they might have been his moms.
    MB: Wow, you don't see that everyday!
    V: Not unless you play pinball.

#140 5 years ago

If true it will sell. But will also be garbage. No new mech innovation.And code will be completed 3+ years after release.

Same old, same old.
    Unfortunately Stern has me laughing at every new pin they release.

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to ask, how can an adult man even consider owning this game? What the hell. We are talking about adolescent boys riding brooms and doing magic. Try not to hate and enlighten me. The only way I could see this being a positive is if the wife lets you buy it because the kids love it and then u get to play, is that it? Its like WOZ, somewhere over the fucking rainbow? come on. How do you get past that? Am I the only one? or am I missing something. be aware I'm quite mad and loving every minute of it. Theres a great saying from the film Barfly "some people in this world never go insane, what truly boring lives they must lead"

I'm an adult man and enjoy the books and movies. I can see where they wouldn't be for everyone. imo JKR built a fun and interesting world that would make for a fun and interesting pinball machine. If you've seen the movies and/or read the books and figured they were lame/childish then cool, probably not a theme for you. If you haven't, give them a whirl. The early books and movies are definitely slanted younger, but if you can get past the first couple they start getting more complex and darker.

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

And code will be completed 3+ years after release.

Same old, same old.
    Unfortunately Stern has me laughing at every new pin they release.

What? StarWars is pretty complete, IronMaiden is quite simply one of if not the best pin I've ever played, and has pretty good goddamn code right now. I just had some serious time on Deadpool, its fun as hell.

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

She said no to Stern and no to JJP, Keith has gone into great detail about the "crazy English lady"
    Her exact quote was "Pinball is seedy"
    -
    I always tell people that you have to look outside your box to understand how regular people view pinball.
    100% True story:
    My Boss: Hey, Ski tells me you took second place in some big pinball tournament!
    Vid: Yeah, it was close though. Some of the best players in the world.
    MB: Pretty rough crowd hanging around at those places?
    V: Yeah, a lot of fat, 60 year old men who smell like they have not showered in a month....
    MB: Really??? I was expecting guys in leather jackets, smoking, fighting, doing side bets.
    V: Not so much. There was one guy in yellow sweatpants, looked like they might have been his moms.
    MB: Wow, you don't see that everyday!
    V: Not unless you play pinball.

Hey, I wear those sweatpants for medical reasons!

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

If you haven't, give them a whirl.

I haven't really seen any of the films, snippets but it wasn't for me. I did enjoy that Fantastic Beasts film, didn't see the whole thing enjoyed what I did watch though.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to ask, how can an adult man even consider owning this game? What the hell. We are talking about adolescent boys riding brooms and doing magic. Try not to hate and enlighten me. The only way I could see this being a positive is if the wife lets you buy it because the kids love it and then u get to play, is that it? Its like WOZ, somewhere over the fucking rainbow? come on. How do you get past that? Am I the only one? or am I missing something. be aware I'm quite mad and loving every minute of it. Theres a great saying from the film Barfly "some people in this world never go insane, what truly boring lives they must lead"[quoted image]

We are "playing" pinball here are we not? Men who play pinball are so mature and beyond childish magical themes aren't we. Heaven forbid we would want to like something a child would like, that would make us wimps or something? I think you are beyond mad, delusional comes to mind though.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to ask, how can an adult man even consider owning this game? What the hell. We are talking about adolescent boys riding brooms and doing magic. Try not to hate and enlighten me. The only way I could see this being a positive is if the wife lets you buy it because the kids love it and then u get to play, is that it? Its like WOZ, somewhere over the fucking rainbow? come on. How do you get past that? Am I the only one? or am I missing something. be aware I'm quite mad and loving every minute of it. Theres a great saying from the film Barfly "some people in this world never go insane, what truly boring lives they must lead"[quoted image]

If you say it this way I want a Sesame Street Pinball.

One Orbit, Two Orbits, THREE ORBITS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (Flasher running wild. -> Dwight Game!)

Spell "ABC".

#148 5 years ago

sesames treat techno.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to ask, how can an adult man even consider owning this game?

Because our children can remember the day(s) we took them to the movies to see each release on the big screen, as if it was yesterday, in the same way I can remember what I was doing when Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. Did I like the movies? Not particularly. Except the first one. Do I recognise that it's the best fiction/fantasy theme for well over a century, with dozens of possibilities regarding what could be done on a well designed playfield, given the right rules and excellent coding? I sure do.

Harry Potter, if it's a decent playing game and layout, would make bucket loads of $$$ for Stern.

Will I buy one? Probably not.
    Will others buy one? By the truck load!

images-3 (resized).jpegimages-3 (resized).jpeg
    #150 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

A few pennies from Stern is not going to be enough to sway her opinion.
    Although, maybe if Stern did not install a coindoor.......[quoted image]

According to Joe, Beatles licensing said no for decades until they said yes. So, never say never.

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-harry-potter/page/3?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.