Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8058D1C-8FC3-49D7-85CF-3E77A7E2EBE1 (resized).jpeg
    JJP (resized).JPG
    Harry Potter.jpg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534 (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    images-3 (resized).jpeg
    erBaSE16H9fe3K7fz9b1rdSKQbU (resized).jpg
    415ed887b01504af430d2d73e4a347d967985017 (resized).jpg
    bfcba5213f410692b0aadd83d68c6116346560ba (resized).jpg
    F050BEE8-6F4A-4E35-AFB9-7F66B1CA924C (resized).jpeg
    hp (resized).png
    Vernon Dursley.png
    Harry Potter Hype.jpg
    Harry Potter..jpg
    hogwarts (resized).JPG
    There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Couple hours late. Read the thread before you react next time.

your interpretation of my statement seems to be confused, and after reading it again I can see it is a little confusing.

Couple hour late on what? My statement reads:

Yuck...hope nobody does this as in....
    I hope this title is not made by any pinball company. I have nothing against any of the current pinball companies and hope to own something from each someday.
    I just think the Harry Potter franchise sucks. Hopefully that clears up my reading ability and my reaction. But then again that's just my opinion.
    However just to clarify more

If Harry Potter were made I think it would fit the jjp style more, and they'd do a better job with it. However it would be years before the first game was delivered, not to mention that those years wouldn't start until after the official reveal. Even diehard hp fans might lose interest by then. Nothing against jjp its just a reality. Anticipation is a great thing, but when it comes to pinball I want what I can get now. I've done the waiting game and it's not for me.
    To clarify even more:
    I won't be buying a Harry Potter pin no matter who makes it.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

It doesn't matter how great the code and animations are, if the game is boring to shoot.

Glad you hate it, knew that already, lol. Do you think Stern would put the same time and effort into code for Harry Potter to do the theme justice?

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Glad you hate it, knew that I already, lol.

I don't hate it, I'm indifferent towards it.

Code, animations, and theme are all winners.

Playfield design isn't. Major problem.

Leads to indifference.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Gary did exactly this with Ghostbusters.

Good point, didn't he do that a year or so before the game was announced? Helps build hype I suppose and keeps people talking about the game while it's being designed.

#55 5 years ago

They would certainly sell a ton. I'd be suprised if JK Rowling lets this license go for a pinball machine. From what I've read she's pretty difficult to work with regards to licensing.

#56 5 years ago

Roger Sharpe has said she isn't interested in licensing it for pinball, but if she changes her mind, he would get to broker the deal.

Roger's son works for Stern now.

If it gets made...it aint gonna be JJP.

#57 5 years ago

Roger Sharpe interview where he talks about the Harry Potter license.

http://pavlovpinball.com/pinball-licencing-101-how-much-why-and-harry-potter/

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Please not Harry Potter and the return of the specky bastards!
    The films were terrible.

What in God's name are you talking about, man? The films where epic! And if you disagree with me then, once again, I will have to fight you.

But I agree 100% with what you said about Dumbledore on a spring though...

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chicoman:

They would certainly sell a ton. I'd be suprised if JK Rowling lets this license go for a pinball machine. From what I've read she's pretty difficult to work with regards to licensing.

What's interesting is that there's been multiple Harry Potter video games, most have been terrible. There's also been a leak of a new Harry Potter RPG video game where you create your own character. Maybe things have changed with Harry Potter licensing and JK Rowling is more open to a pin being created. If the game doesn't allow coin-op it may sway her view as most of the games would be used in homes.

#60 5 years ago

I’d like a JJP either wide like Woz or standard like DI.

I have given up on Stern at this point, what they did with Avengers, SW, GOT make me wonder if they can do anything justice. I mean I love TWD as a generic zombie pin but that game has little to do with the TV show characters are not represented at all in the game.

#61 5 years ago

Hope this isn't true, only because I want jjp to do it instead. I can't go through another disappointment like star wars with any more major licenses going to stern. Some themes are better for stern, and others are better for jjp. This is totally a jjp game.

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Hope this isn't true, only because I want jjp to do it instead. I can't go through another disappointment like star wars with any more major licenses going to stern. Some themes are better for stern, and others are better for jjp. This is totally a jjp game.

The problem with Star Wars wasn't Stern's fault. JJP would have had the same issues.

#63 5 years ago

Harry Potter is a well known theme

So I imagine it will receive same treatment as Stern’s version of Star Wars

#64 5 years ago

If JJP did a Harry Potter pin, no guarantee it would be a great pin. Only guarantee is that it would be terribly expensive. Stern would at least deliver a pro and a premium type of pin. I couldn't be less interested, though. Harry Potter is extremely popular among all ages so I would expect all pin manufactures trying to secure the license. Only problem would be if the license is very expensive. That might translate to a stripped down pin like Star Wars with strict limitations of art and content. I think it's more fun to have more flexible themes that are not such a high profile. Less expectations and more artistic freedoms usually translate in a really fun pin.

#65 5 years ago

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think a game focused on the Universal ride with Quiddich thrown in would make a much better machine than something bloated with 8 movies. You could add most of the main characters and the objectives would be fairly straight forward with the opportunity to be creative. There are over 4500 pages and about 20 hours of movie to cover. Doesn't make sense to comprise all of that material on a 3-10 minute game without being very confusing.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's been a few Harry Potter threads over the years speculating about whether or not a Harry Potter pinball machine will ever come out. The Facebook post below, from This Week in Pinball (thank you for sharing!), shows Jody, Keith and George from Stern visiting the Harry Potter theme park in CA. Now sure it could be a vacation...but why would 3 unrelated dudes that work at Stern Pinball be traveling across the country to visit a Harry Potter theme park? lol
    Harry Potter may be happening, maybe not, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    From the TWIP post.
    https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-tuesday-3/
    "Jody Dankberg, Keith Elwin, and George Gomez visited Hogwarts. So does that mean that a Harry Potter machine is coming soon? Well, since they went to Hogwarts and shared it on social media, we’ll share what we know about a Harry Potter Pinball machine. Absolutely nothing. Lets make this happen pinball industry!!"
    [quoted image]

Without reading the whole thread yet- it is a place just about any out of towners go to this time of year, if they were in SoCal, and locals alike like me.

I will be there in the next 7 days just don't know which yet. Could just be that, tourism.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

The problem with Star Wars wasn't Stern's fault. JJP would have had the same issues.

How do you figure that?

I'm not a huge fan of Stern's Star Wars as I don't think it has good theme integration and doesn't really tell a story. Rather, it's a fast and frenetic shooter and that's cool for what it is. But, I'm pretty sure Stern designed it that way.

#68 5 years ago

I heard it's Sterns.... and it's Harry Potter Versus Godzilla..

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

How do you figure that?
    I'm not a huge fan of Stern's Star Wars as I don't think it has good theme integration and doesn't really tell a story. Rather, it's a fast and frenetic shooter and that's cool for what it is. But, I'm pretty sure Stern designed it that way.

Ritchie has said more than once that Star Wars was unpleasant to make, due to restrictions from Lucasfilm. He had to make the best of a bad situation.

A designer from JJP would have ran into the same issues.

#70 5 years ago

With Stern visiting this we would see the same disappointment like we did with GOT.
    Too many expectations with tremendous theme but poorly executed under glass but I know
    code carried it as we all know. JJP would need this one to do right. A lot of theme to work with
    especially on HP.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Cue the usual "I'd rather see JJP get this" in 3....2.....1

I'd rather see JJP get this !

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

There's no way a jjp pin wouldn't have more toys, magnets, etc than a stern SW. Sorry, not buying that excuse other than when it comes to the artwork. Potc is a Disney license and they approved the toys, and the machine looks better art wise as well. Can't tell me stern couldn't have even added magnets due to restrictions. Come on, it was cost cutting, period. They relied too much on video assets over play field features on SW. I like the SW game, but the play field and wow factor was disappointing for most, and it went from a must have theme, to a maybe someday purchase used. I can't imagine a HP license being any cheaper than SW, and if that's the case, expect something similar to the SW play field wow factor if stern does it.

#73 5 years ago

While I wish Stern Star Wars had more in it I'm very happy with my LE. I was debating on selling it for Pirates and decided to keep it due to the great ruleset, unique toys, and excellent use of licensed assets. Stern did a great job incorporating actor audio and video along with licensed music throughout the game. I much rather have those assets in the game then 1 more magnet and a bunch of generic points focused modes. The hyperspace space and Death Star on the premium / LE are two very substantial toys and are much more impressive when you see them in person versus on paper. If I have any complaints it's that more extras should have been included with the LE.

Then again maybe Stern purposely put less in the game to increase profits, lol. Steve Ritichie mentioned last year at a show, jokingly, that "Gary hates anything that costs money".

#74 5 years ago

think of all the cool stuff they could have pulled from for the game of thrones franchise for the game and look at what we got. Sure its a fun enough game but lacks so much in toys and art. then look at how bare bones lame star wars is. if a theme is a killer seller on theme alone it will probably be stripped down by stern. Gary is on video saying how the john williams score alone will sell a ton of star wars lol.

im not a stern hater this is just a reality

if you want a tricked out harry potter hope for jjp having the license imo

#75 5 years ago

I'm not arguing whether or not SW owners are happy or enjoy the game. I enjoy playing it. My only gripe is how there really isn't much there compared to what could have been. The pro isn't even worth mentioning, but even the premium/le at $7-9k was lacking ball interaction and was a disappointment compared to what most people hoped for. It's still fun, but most of that fun imo is from the video and sounds. Ultimately fun is the goal in all pinball, but at these prices, I want more wow factor and physical ball interaction with innovative toys. No guarantee that a jjp game of SW or HP would be better, but I'd place my bets on more going on in the play field than a stern version. Not bashing stern,(love my Met &acdc) but the eye test is hard to fail on BOM. It's just an opinion.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Ultimately fun is the goal in all pinball,

I guess that takes JJP out of the equation then.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

There's no way a jjp pin wouldn't have more toys, magnets, etc than a stern SW. Sorry, not buying that excuse other than when it comes to the artwork. Potc is a Disney license and they approved the toys, and the machine looks better art wise as well. Can't tell me stern couldn't have even added magnets due to restrictions. Come on, it was cost cutting, period. They relied too much on video assets over play field features on SW. I like the SW game, but the play field and wow factor was disappointing for most, and it went from a must have theme, to a maybe someday purchase used. I can't imagine a HP license being any cheaper than SW, and if that's the case, expect something similar to the SW play field wow factor if stern does it.

Well, whether you buy it or not is irrelevant to me. My point is made.

You're actually using Pirates as a counterpoint? Disney dissected and emasculated that license. It's total crap, missing any actual scenes and the score.

Sheesh...did you back the wrong horse, johnny.

#79 5 years ago

There is no doubt that if JJP had this license (or any other license Stern license) the game would be full of many more features and toys....clearly their history of build quality, design, layout, code, etc are on a different level than Stern.....that being said it comes with a significant price tag....JJP Harry Potter would be awesome...Stern HP who knows?

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Well, whether you buy it or not is irrelevant to me. My point is made.
    You're actually using Pirates as a counterpoint? Disney dissected and emasculated that license. It's total crap, missing any actual scenes and the score.
    Sheesh...did you back the wrong horse, johnny.

Lol. I agree it's really hurting without video assets. However, with SW you're paying$7k for the DVD assets you already have. You get a couple ramps, loops, spring action figure and a hyperloop that is cool, but under utilized. My opinion matches the majority of people looking forward to SW and we're instantly bummed. Look back on the SW thread. I think jjp potc while missing video assets, still managed a better pinball experience. A PINBALL experience. Time will tell which is the better game. Again, opinions vary. That's ok. Some guys want a world under glass, others care more about rules, or theme alone. I don't want to pay just for assets I already own on Blu-ray, that's all. I want more for $7-9k.

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

My opinion matches the majority of people looking forward to SW and we're instantly bummed. Look back on the SW thread. I think jjp potc while missing video assets, still managed a better pinball experience. A PINBALL experience.

Looking back the the SW thread people care aboot SW, it isn't the same with POTC because no one really give a shit. It's a popcorn munching series that everyone forgot aboot 6 years ago. Certian(t)ly doesn;t carry the emotions of the man-babies that gew up with either trilogy.

We all have out opinions, and I disagree that JJPOTC is more the PINBALL experience. SW is mean & lean and an ass kicker with a lot of strategery involved in the scoring; not for everyone for sure. That a lot of what makes pinball interesting to me...other people may feel having "more stuff" makes it "more pinball;" I wouldn't just lay out either as a fact though.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Looking back the the SW thread people care aboot SW, it isn't the same with POTC because no one really give a shit. It's a popcorn munching series that everyone forgot aboot 6 years ago. Certian(t)ly doesn;t carry the emotions of the man-babies that gew up with either trilogy.
    We all have out opinions, and I disagree that JJPOTC is more the PINBALL experience. SW is mean & lean and an ass kicker with a lot of strategery involved in the scoring; not for everyone for sure. That a lot of what makes pinball interesting to me...other people may feel having "more stuff" makes it "more pinball;" I wouldn't just lay out either as a fact though.

I'll agree with you that it's all just opinion as I previously stated. In regards to the SW thread comment, I simply was stating how looking back at the comments around the release, it's clear how much of a disappointment the play field, and artwork were to most people. Has no bearing on the license compared to potc. SW is as big as it gets, and HP is too, and if stern made a HP without much of a play field like SW, then I think the level of disappointment would rival SW. Again, while I enjoy playing SW, it just wasn't what others including myself hoped it would be after all the hype, and two year development. I just don't want to see another huge license end up that way, and I'd rather place my bets on a jjp version. Again, just an opinion of a huge SW fan that probably rivals other SW fans that love the outcome of SW. It's all good, after all, it's just a game.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

If this does come to fruition, I think they missed out on the Harry Potter hype by like 5 or more years if they wanted to appeal to the casual crowd, but with the Cursed Child being in theaters, there has been a resurgence in popularity.
    Still, Harry Potter is basically a religion for some people, so regardless, it would likely be successful.

Huh? Cursed child was a play, and horrible at that. Are you talking about Fantastic Beasts?

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Wow, lol. Yeah, lots of toys / features, great build quality, excellent customer service, and industry leading code support are terrible things...

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Again, while I enjoy playing SW, it just wasn't what others including myself hoped it would be after all the hype, and two year development. I just don't want to see another huge license end up that way,...

I feel ya. It came out great for me, so I'm ready either way. Neither company is perfect in any way, I just hope for the best.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wow, lol. Yeah, lots of toys / features, great build quality, excellent customer service, and industry leading code support are terrible things...

I agree with all of that. But you still left out 'fun' which is what my post was in regards to so I assume we agree.

The real question is, what's the longest you've gone without posting about 'toys'? Can't be more than a day.

I enjoy playing all of the JJP pins for a game or two. After that they get old quick.

My wife is HP crazy. If a pin does materialize, there's a extremely likely chance it's going to end up in my house. I would much prefer I didn't end up with a 10k boring box of lights. Stern FTW.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

The real question is, what's the longest you've gone without posting about 'toys'? Can't be more than a day.

Seriously.

But hey, these are just games and half (or more) of the people are buying them more for the toys & lighting than the play.
    We all have out criteria

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I enjoy playing all of the JJP pins for a game or two. After that they get old quick.

I feel that way about many of the Stern machines. Mostly due to the similar feel of the layouts. I'm glad we have a variety of manufacturers to appeal to different tastes.

#89 5 years ago

Man we went from hypothetical theme opening post to JJP vs. Stern in record time on this one!

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man we went from hypothetical theme opening post to JJP vs. Stern in record time on this one!

Lol. Watch it be deeproot with the license. Lmao

#91 5 years ago

Could it be that they went just for the fun of it???? J.K.R.said 3 years ago,she would never give license to a pin ball mach.She also stated that she did not approve of the places pinball mach.were played,so she didn't want her work shown in that format.END OF THREAD>Period...

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Could it be that they went just for the fun of it????

Come come now, this is Pinside, everything is a clue! Don;t worry aboot the fact nothing has ever actually been a clue before this.

#93 5 years ago

Maybe the next games is a surprise. Did anyone know about Mustang or Supreme? It would be fun if we just had something we did not see coming.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from parabol420:

Huh? Cursed child was a play, and horrible at that. Are you talking about Fantastic Beasts?

As Cursed Child was a play it is performed in theatres, Fantastic Beasts is a film shown in cinemas.

Don't understand your issue?

#95 5 years ago

Why would I buy the blandest pinball machine?

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

J.K.R.said 3 years ago,she would never give license to a pin ball mach.She also stated that she did not approve of the places pinball mach.were played,so she didn't want her work shown in that format....

Is there a link with info on her saying this or is this urban legend?

#97 5 years ago

Stern can hit a homerun on a pin fun factor or it could be a total bust.
    If JKR just compared Jjp pins to stern pins as far as how they are built, I think that would end their decision on who they would choose. Can't deny the quality of Jjp vs stern in pin quality.
    Like Woz or not, it set the bar in many ways.

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Stern can hit a homerun on a pin fun factor or it could be a total bust.
    If JKR just compared Jjp pins to stern pins as far as how they are built, I think that would end their decision on who they would choose.

Hear hear!

How can we make sure that JKR personally inspects JJP machines, so she can really see the difference before signing that licensing deal?

Should we just dump a bunch of surplus Hobbits in her driveway? Or do we need to get her a private Chopper flight from NYC to the factory next time she's in NYC?

I think if she really got under the hood of Dialed in, JKR would realize there is only ONE choice for her pinball license.

There's got to be a way. It might not be too late to prove to JKR that there really IS a difference!

This will work. I heard that the POTC people were about to go with Deep Root for their next game, until Johnny Depp was forced to live inside a Dialed In cabinet for 2 days with nothing but a sack of granola and a handle of Jack Daniels. It worked!

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hear hear!
    How can we make sure that JKR personally inspects JJP machines, so she can really see the difference before signing that licensing deal?
    Should we just dump a bunch of surplus Hobbits in her driveway? Or do we need to get her a private Chopper flight from NYC to the factory next time she's in NYC?
    I think if she really got under the hood of Dialed in, JKR would realize there is only ONE choice for her pinball license.
    There's got to be a way. It might not be too late to prove to JKR that there really IS a difference!
    This will work. I heard that the POTC people were about to go with Deep Root for their next game, until Johnny Depp was forced to live inside a Dialed In cabinet for 2 days with nothing but a sack of granola and a handle of Jack Daniels. It worked!

Considering how she has had a disdain for pinball in her namesake, Im pretty sure she and her team would look at all aspects of any pinball manufacturer before she lets her license be utilized.
    If she picks Stern all we could hope for is they do it justice. If its JJP, I personally would be more hopeful.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

If she picks Stern all we could hope for is they do it justice. If its JJP, I personally would be more hopeful.

Well there's always hope.

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-harry-potter/page/2?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.