• Latest reply 4 years ago by KellerDj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
node 9 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Ok fellow Pinsider's got a question I have had Guardians for almost 2 months and love it and first NIB Stern that worked fine out of the box well now when machine boot's up get locating Node Boards, 9 not found, I have checked the cables and connections all seem fine so believe it is the board itself put ticket to Stern haven't heard anything back yet, so my questions is there anything else I can try and is this covered under warranty as looking online and see that they only cover for 60 days I am at 59 is there a tech support number I could call as obviously hoping to have ticket entered prior to warranty expiring if covered.

node 9 (resized).JPGnode 9 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

call stern or your distributor

#3 4 years ago

Call your distributor. They have to submit the replacement order.

I had mine in hand in 3 days after it went bad.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Call your distributor. They have to submit the replacement order.
I had mine in hand in 3 days after it went bad.

Ok will try distributor, have you heard others having node failures, was yours board 9 as well?

#5 4 years ago

Yes, my Ghostbusters was the same and also took out the ball trough board.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from KellerDj:

... have you heard others having node failures, was yours board 9 as well?

Yup.

#7 4 years ago

Well talked with Stern was surprised how easy it was to get the replacement node so this must be a bigger issue then they are letting on.

#8 4 years ago

It’s pinball. Things fail.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I‘m not convinced this slogan applies here.

#10 4 years ago

LOL. True.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I understand full well that it is pinball and things will fail but don't agree that they should fail in less than 60 days and not being on location, this game has less than 200 plays. My concern is with these new Node boards, how long are they expected to last and when they fail are we all willing to fork out $219.00 for each one that does, yes could be multiple things but the more things each board does the better chance for something failing. Yes I am very glad it happened now and was covered by warranty, but if Stern knows there is an issue that these boards are not up to the task at hand is it fair for those that have machines out of warranty to have to pay this for each Spike 2 system they have to get them operational again. the older machines you could replace a $1.00 circuit and be on your way now with everything on this one board you have to replace 90% of what's working to fix the one thing that is not. I understand Sterns thought on this, and it does make (new) owners lives easier that they just have to replace a board, but those who have repaired these fun machines are seeing there is a cost to convenience. It is a throw away society and pinball is becoming in a way part of that. Sorry end of rant, but when you spend 8K on anything I think you would want it to work well for a period of time.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from KellerDj:

I understand full well that it is pinball and things will fail but don't agree that they should fail in less than 60 days and not being on location, this game has less than 200 plays. My concern is with these new Node boards, how long are they expected to last and when they fail are we all willing to fork out $219.00 for each one that does, yes could be multiple things but the more things each board does the better chance for something failing. Yes I am very glad it happened now and was covered by warranty, but if Stern knows there is an issue that these boards are not up to the task at hand is it fair for those that have machines out of warranty to have to pay this for each Spike 2 system they have to get them operational again. the older machines you could replace a $1.00 circuit and be on your way now with everything on this one board you have to replace 90% of what's working to fix the one thing that is not. I understand Sterns thought on this, and it does make (new) owners lives easier that they just have to replace a board, but those who have repaired these fun machines are seeing there is a cost to convenience. It is a throw away society and pinball is becoming in a way part of that. Sorry end of rant, but when you spend 8K on anything I think you would want it to work well for a period of time.

My experience with node boards is that most of my failures have happened in the first few months, if not days of ownership. So play the heck out of your game in the beginning! I realize that node boards fail much later also, but the preponderance of failures I have seen have been early life failures.

#13 4 years ago

Stern has been pretty darn flexible on node board failure issues out of warranty. Try that with American Pinball on day 91, or with paint falling off your JJP machine playfield on day 31.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Stern has been pretty darn flexible on node board failure issues out of warranty. Try that with American Pinball on day 91, or with paint falling off your JJP machine playfield on day 31.

Absolutely. They often cover well beyond the warranty. I have heard the opposite with JJP. Strict.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from KellerDj:

I hear what you're saying... but some electronics will fail nearly right away, no matter what the product is. It's the nature of manufacturing and technology.

Stern makes thousands upon thousands of machines a year. Just by the very nature of manufacturing, there's going to be some rate of failure. There always has been in pinball... there always will be. Let's be honest here: we have no idea what that failure rate is. Sure, there are some threads here on Pinside that make it appear to be an epidemic. But we don't really know.

Is it fair for Stern to put these boards in their games? Absolutely. Their warranty isn't hidden. Anyone can read it... and anyone can hit the net and gather information about their Spike system

You're expressing some very legitimate concerns about Spike games... the only advice I can give you is don't buy one if you don't agree with how's it's built. Just because you have an expectation for how a Stern $8K pin should behave and wear, doesn't mean that it's going to align with the reality of how it will behave and wear.

You have two choices: (1) throw caution to the wind and buy their games irrespective of the issues you've read about Spike and Stern's stated warranty policy or (2) Buy used games that meet your criteria or games from other manufacturers that aren't using a system like Spike.

So far, I've chosen option #2 for the very reasons you outlined. Doesn't mean I'll always stick to my guns. But, for right now, I'm not a buyer.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I hear what you're saying... but some electronics will fail nearly right away, no matter what the product is. It's the nature of manufacturing and technology.
Stern makes thousands upon thousands of machines a year. Just by the very nature of manufacturing, there's going to be some rate of failure. There always has been in pinball... there always will be. Let's be honest here: we have no idea what that failure rate is. Sure, there are some threads here on Pinside that make it appear to be an epidemic. But we don't really know.
Is it fair for Stern to put these boards in their games? Absolutely. Their warranty isn't hidden. Anyone can read it... and anyone can hit the net and gather information about their Spike system
You're expressing some very legitimate concerns about Spike games... the only advice I can give you is don't buy one if you don't agree with how's it's built. Just because you have an expectation for how a Stern $8K pin should behave and wear, doesn't mean that it's going to align with the reality of how it will behave and wear.
You have two choices: (1) throw caution to the wind and buy their games irrespective of the issues you've read about Spike and Stern's stated warranty policy or (2) Buy used games that meet your criteria or games from other manufacturers that aren't using a system like Spike.
So far, I've chosen option #2 for the very reasons you outlined. Doesn't mean I'll always stick to my guns. But, for right now, I'm not a buyer.

I think the Spike concerns are overblown at this point, and there are thousands of machines out there running Spike with zero issues. Stern has even listed the Spike schematics on their site now, so the boards can be repaired by third parties. No schematics being available for future repair was one of the major hiccups people were having, so that has now been put to bed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#17 4 years ago

The only node board fail I had was in the first couple weeks as well.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from KellerDj:

Yes I am very glad it happened now and was covered by warranty, but if Stern knows there is an issue that these boards are not up to the task at hand is it fair for those that have machines out of warranty to have to pay this for each Spike 2 system they have to get them operational again. the older machines you could replace a $1.00 circuit and be on your way now with everything on this one board you have to replace 90% of what's working to fix the one thing that is not. I understand Sterns thought on this, and it does make (new) owners lives easier that they just have to replace a board, but those who have repaired these fun machines are seeing there is a cost to convenience.

The boards are repairable. Schematics are available. The customer has the choice to try to fix it themselves, send it out for repair, or buy a new board. I do think replacement boards are overpriced, but throwaway is not the only option.

#19 4 years ago

I was under the impression that this was more of an issue just talking to friends that have games on location they do seem to fail early, but since Spike II hasn't been out that many years was wondering if could be more of an issue down the road or if let's say when Stern goes to the next system will these boards still be produced. I am glad to hear Stern is being flexible with replacements and do hope this is a non-issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-guardians-of-the-galaxy-node-failure?hl=kellerdj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.