(Topic ID: 237207)

Stern Got The Harry Potter Pinball License (Speculation)

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stonecold.gif
    Potter (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago

I heard the Walking Dead voice actor is doing the callouts!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

True the clips in JJPOTC are stunning.

Yup, a few seconds of video and a ton of the highest quality custom animations in pinball. Meanwhile some of the animations in Munsters look like something from the Nintendo 64.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

The LE's are $9500, and worth every penny, given how much you are getting. And JJP is now not announcing games until very close to ship time, learning from their past mistakes.

Yeah. I don't mind waiting for quality, tons of features and deep and unique code. Haste makes waste and for $9k-$10k I'll happily wait for a JJP HP pin.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Standards have gone up $500 each release I believe, that's what worries me.

Yeah the price increases are not sustainable. Stern though is now charging $9k or more for LE's but they also have a $5500 -$6k model.

I wonder if Willy Wonka ends up costing $9k for a standard and $10k for an LE or if we see JJP produce a lower cost game with less features yet still retain the JJP quality, code depth, high quality animations, etc.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Within the movie prop collector circles, Harry Potter props & costumes are highly coveted and go for significant sums of money. Between Harry Potter fans and pinball enthusiasts, I think the pins would sell well as long as they are designed well and incorporate a lot from various aspects of the films.
    Like Star Wars, Harry Potter is also a very visually rich universe that could easily fill up a widebody game with lots of "mini-worlds". I prefer to see interesting and interactive stuff on a playfield that moves, changes, and reacts to the ball. It's a physical game, after all.

I thought the gameplay was terrible--limited/boring shots and drainy. I'd give the artwork 7.5/10.
    When it was first announced, I thought Stern would throw everything including the kitchen sink at the title, and I had considered making it my first NIB purchase...until I actually saw the playfield and played a few games on it. I really, really wanted to like it because I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I was incredibly disappointed. So, instead, I still have an eye out for a DESW and have not purchased any NIB games yet since my grail title has come and gone.

I hear what you are saying about Star Wars, Stern certainly could have added more. Whats there is fun but not for the NIB price. Overall Sterns Star Wars comes across as a game purposely designed to generate more profit compared to some of their other titles. The game is a lot of fun, just wish it had come with more toys and features. 3 translites instead of a mirrored bsckglass on the LE? Come on Stern.

I remember watching a video from a pinball show where Steve Ritchie was talking about designing Star Wars. At one point he said "Gary hates anything that costs money". He paused for a few seconds and then said he was just joking. That was very telling and coincided with what Keith Johnson said a while back on the Head2Head pinball podcast in regards to Gary questioning mechs going into games over their cost. That's why I don't want Stern making HP.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I think the license is strong but the movies weren't if you catch my drift.
    Also I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.
    They arguably did a better job w/that than Stern SW (although both play fields are fairly empty and they have the same amount of LCD screens. Hmm, weird.)

There's no comparison though between how the mini LCD's in Star Wars and Hobbit are used. Where Stern choose to minimally code their mini LCD JJP went all out with the coding on theirs. JJP also put a book mold around the Hobbits LCD to at least tie it into something from the films.

My point is JJP puts the time, effort, and attention to detail not just into a games physical appearance but especially its code. That's another reason I rather see JJP make HP over Stern. Sure Stern would get the game out quicker but at today's crazy NIB prices I rather wait a bit longer for a higher quality and more loaded product.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I can't read a book playing pinball so I don't really care about a having one in the playfield.
    It's fine if you want to wait, but if the license was just acquired, and JJP already has Wonka and GNR in the pipeline, Daniel Radcliffe will look like Gandalf by the time the JJP version comes out.

There's no book to read and there's plenty of opportunities to glance up at the mini LCD. The Hobbit mini LCD shows mode objectives with a few words, time remaining in modes, time being added, a modes difficulty rating which factors into how wizard modes score, type of mode, etc. JJP then took the extra time to add custom book page artwork representing all 31 book modes, credit pages for the team, etc.

I don't mind waiting a while longer for attention to detail and code work like above. A Stern HP pin would come out quicker but by the time they complete the code JJP's pin would be out.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Totally agree, people think because JJP has deep-over complex code and clustered playfields that should mean it is better and more fun than Stern games. In terms of fun-Stern blows JJP out of the water imo. Dialed In does have good flow-but the theme sucks and does nothing for me. I could care less about Harry Potter-seems like a really dated franchise and I hope JJP does get it-so Stern does not waste resources. Perfect theme for JJP to stuff a bunch of crap into so it plays clunky and takes an hour to have a decent game -no thanks.

Yup, they are except for the part you mentioned about overly complex rules which isn't the case in my opinion. Sterns play faster, great. That's because there's far less in them. Any game will play fast if there's 2 standard orbits and 2 ramps in it that return the ball directly to the flippers. At upwards of $9k+ for a Stern LE I don't think that's a good thing. Same goes with shallow code for some of their games.

One of the rare times Stern actually loaded a game up, Ghostbusters premium / LE, they left the code a mess and unfinished. Still waiting on the next code update over 2 years later.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

-Funny every time I talk shit about JJP-I get thumbs down from JJP's official crusader- PanzerFreak-rinse and repeat

It just means I disagree with something you said, no biggie. I own Stern games as well that I've bought new, just Ghostbusters premium at the moment. Stern makes fun games, I never doubt that. What they charge, offer, and how they support their games in regards to code for the price is what myself and others have an issue with.

17 months and counting since Stern said a Ghostbusters code would be worked on once Star Wars code is completed...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-got-the-harry-potter-pinball-license?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.